Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,267 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 03:55 AM

A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University (15623 Views)

How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / CGPA Of OAU Best Graduating Engineering Students From 1987 / How I Used What I Had To Get What I Wanted In The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by DaEngineernet: 12:20pm On Apr 24, 2015
You just got accepted into the University which is the college of your dreams? or that safety school? it doesn’t matter, you have decided to spend your next few years there to study engineering. However, you don’t have a clue what you are doing. You don’t know which field of engineering is right for you, you have no idea how difficult it is to find internships. How exactly do you get through your first year of college life as an engineering student? These are suggested steps that could guide you throughout your stay in college

1. Quit procrastinating

This is the most common vice that limits Engineering students in achieving their goals. As a student of this highly tasking discipline, you are going to realize that you have a lot less time on your hands. If you want your 4.0 GPA, to actually contribute to your club, to obtain internships in the future, to have time for your friends and time to yourself, time to have fun, and time to clean laundry – you need to quit procrastinating. Not only are classes going to get harder in the university, but you are going to have other responsibilities (perhaps even more important than grades) that will consume your time. In this discipline, time is very essential.

2. Explore the different disciples in engineering

Overtime it’s been proven that a lot of first timers do not know much about different types of engineering and probably have no idea which field is right for them. Those who know their engineering fields and are adamant that they want to be a chemical engineer may find themselves questioning their choice after taking organic chemistry classes. Regardless of your knowledge of the various types of engineering, it’s important to keep an open mind.

There are many factors to consider while choosing an engineering specialization: future job demand, programs at your college, your own interest, etc. Most schools offer introductory courses which can expose you to a few of the different types of engineering. We think the best way to find what is absolutely right for you is to be directly involved with engineering clubs, have a professor tell you about his/her research, or talk to engineering upperclassmen about their classes. The earlier you identify what interests you the better; this way you waste less time taking the wrong classes and have more opportunities to join programs related to your chosen field.

Remember that leaving engineering is also an option. University is supposed to expose you to all different fields, in addition to the different types of engineering. Perhaps you may find your true passion in medicine or even literature.

3. Choose your college friends

It is believed that most people can be happy in any school that they go to, provided that they find meaningful people as college friends. These people are going to grow with you and they will be very influential in your life for the next four years. Your first few weeks of college life are going to be filled with extremely friendly people. Take advantage of that. No other time in college will people be so open to meeting you. However, remember that the friends you make in the first weeks will not necessarily be the college friends that remain with you a few years later.

4. Seek out additional opportunities for growth

In high school, having a high GPA defined success (more or less). That changes tremendously in college. It is not to say that grades aren’t important, but that other parts of life will come into play. Landing an internship is probably more important than obtaining A’s in every one of the classes. Learning soft skills such as communication (by communication, I don’t just mean having the ability to talk to the opposite gender) will greatly expand your network of influential people. Speaking of networks, having a group of influential people around will help you greatly in your future. See what I mean? It’s no longer just about the grades; it's also about your reputation as a hard worker, your ability to sweet-talk an interviewer, and your desire to improve yourself.

5. Don’t dismiss other subject areas

Something that is common within the engineering community is that they think we're the best on campus. Engineering students then to think that they are the smartest bunch because our engineering predecessors invented the modern world. We think we’re the most hard-working because while the “arts and crafts” (A.K.A. arts and sciences) people are hanging out, we’re studying how electrons work. Don’t do that. It’s good that you invented the first flying refrigerator machine, too bad you didn’t listen to your business major college friends about how there is no market for that.

Lastly, going crazy after leaving home (forever) is part of the first-year experience. But don’t go too crazy. Remember, you only have a few years at a university, so be sure to make the most out of them. I’m not telling you not to have fun – by all means, your first year of college life is when you’re supposed to go crazy – but don’t make choices you’ll regret. There are a lot of opportunities, people to meet, and most of all, distance to grow; it’d be a shame to waste four years throwing ping pong balls around in a basement.

Credits: http://go.engineer-ng.net/profiles/blogs/a-guide-for-first-year-engineering-students-in-the-university

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Joshkid(m): 12:31pm On Apr 24, 2015
Wow...sO educative!!... Rep Computer Engineering Technology smiley smiley

5 Likes

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Dekatron(m): 12:14am On Apr 29, 2015
Thanks. I rep EEE sha. .

Cc: lalasticlala . . . Help us oo

chai!! Na me dey FP sooo?? First, i laughed out of the examination hall minutes ago . Now FP . . . It pays to read ooooooooo

NA POUNDED YAM AND EGUSI SURE PASS NOW NOW

1 Like

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by J0nyb0y(m): 7:40am On Apr 29, 2015
This also applies to other disciplines

1 Like

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Kenneth205(m): 7:41am On Apr 29, 2015
NICE

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Goldenheart(m): 7:41am On Apr 29, 2015
Hmmm
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by okooloyun1(m): 7:41am On Apr 29, 2015
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by biggybanty7(m): 7:42am On Apr 29, 2015
#GODWIN
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by vanpitarz: 7:43am On Apr 29, 2015
[color=#000099][/color]baba God na ur hand ah dey cool grin
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by kayultimate(m): 7:43am On Apr 29, 2015
Nice info

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 7:43am On Apr 29, 2015
dnt forget to carry along screw drivers and hammer in ur pocket
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by braintext(m): 7:44am On Apr 29, 2015
smiley
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by pyyxxaro: 7:44am On Apr 29, 2015
I rep poultry engineering kiss

1 Like

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by vizkiz: 7:44am On Apr 29, 2015
stay the furck away from biitches and parties!

Infact you need to be a nerd to make it big in your department tongue

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by XwhY(m): 7:48am On Apr 29, 2015
This should help
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nicepoker(m): 7:48am On Apr 29, 2015
Mech engr. Rotating Gears of the world. Civil engr. Builders of the world. Elect elect engr. Light of the world.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by baybeeboi: 7:48am On Apr 29, 2015
funny enough, with all these adopted,many will still make third class.
If you no sabi book no worry yoursef.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by clemz88(m): 7:48am On Apr 29, 2015
I represent ab.oki engineering cool

1 Like

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Jclement(m): 7:49am On Apr 29, 2015
Work and Pray
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by okotv(m): 7:50am On Apr 29, 2015
Hard and smart work pays.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by emmybliz(m): 7:51am On Apr 29, 2015
I rep petroleum engineering

1 Like

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 7:52am On Apr 29, 2015
When you work hard you make hard currency : I rep EEE.

1 Like

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 29, 2015
anybody who must fail will fail
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 29, 2015
Chemical Engineering all the way from Federal University Of Technology, Minna. God bless FUT Minna.

3 Likes

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by tolustx(m): 7:53am On Apr 29, 2015
I just may ve an input
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Cmediagroup: 7:54am On Apr 29, 2015
It is a general thing for all fresh students
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by teemanbastos(m): 7:55am On Apr 29, 2015
9ce
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nten: 7:56am On Apr 29, 2015
Ok. Gud 2 knw

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do We Go To School? / WAEC Increases Examination Fees To N18,000, Blames Inflation, COVID-19 / Asian Education: Better Than Western Education?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.