Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,124 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:26 AM

A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University (15641 Views)

How To Identify First Year Students (Hilarious Photos) / CGPA Of OAU Best Graduating Engineering Students From 1987 / How I Used What I Had To Get What I Wanted In The University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by freedom96: 8:00am On Apr 29, 2015
This is great
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by onedebos: 8:02am On Apr 29, 2015
Hmmm I've certainly learnt this in uni too
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Simoneblosson(m): 8:07am On Apr 29, 2015
I Rep MEE uniben
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Gegz(m): 8:16am On Apr 29, 2015
Above all. Pray o. Dats wah helped me in ma field. Agricultural and bioresources engineering
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Akposkool(m): 8:17am On Apr 29, 2015
Flee from anything in skirts. Don't say I didn't warn you. Thank me later
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by RobinHez(m): 8:18am On Apr 29, 2015
I believe putting all these in mind would make one focused and not follow after irrelevances. Nice!

Seun we need more smileys pls...
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by RobinHez(m): 8:19am On Apr 29, 2015
If na Tonto Dike snap picture with her dogs, we for don get like 6 pages of comments. Smh
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Dekatron(m): 8:24am On Apr 29, 2015
Goldenheart:
Hmmm
Nten:
Ok
biggybanty7:
#GODWIN
okooloyun1:
Goldenheart:
Hmmm
see them SPACE BOOKERS. .

By their fruit, ye shall know them

orijin101, you broses dey hia o
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by IlorinFinest: 8:36am On Apr 29, 2015
Taylor86:
dnt forget to carry along screw drivers and hammer in ur pocket
civil engineering nko?
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by fwonders22: 8:36am On Apr 29, 2015
I rep Mech Engine truly "gears of the world". Graduated already rounding up NYSC. FUNAAB!!!!!
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 8:40am On Apr 29, 2015
Joshkid:
Wow...sO educative!!... Rep Computer Engineering Technology smiley smiley
there are lots of kids in engineering this days
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by popweezy(m): 8:42am On Apr 29, 2015
baybeeboi:
funny enough, with all these adopted,many will still make third class.
If you no sabi book no worry yoursef.
lol
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 8:53am On Apr 29, 2015
Thanks for sharing!
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Craigston: 8:54am On Apr 29, 2015
vizkiz:
[size=14pt]stay the furck away from biitches and parties!

Infact you need to be a nerd to make it big in your department tongue
[/size]

That's true. But you also need a social life. Be a nerd inside; be social outside.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Futurecrown(m): 9:04am On Apr 29, 2015
DaEngineernet:
You just got accepted into the University which is the college of your dreams? or that safety school? it doesn’t matter, you have decided to spend your next few years there to study engineering. However, you don’t have a clue what you are doing. You don’t know which field of engineering is right for you, you have no idea how difficult it is to find internships. How exactly do you get through your first year of college life as an engineering student? These are suggested steps that could guide you throughout your stay in college

1. Quit procrastinating

This is the most common vice that limits Engineering students in achieving their goals. As a student of this highly tasking discipline, you are going to realize that you have a lot less time on your hands. If you want your 4.0 GPA, to actually contribute to your club, to obtain internships in the future, to have time for your friends and time to yourself, time to have fun, and time to clean laundry – you need to quit procrastinating. Not only are classes going to get harder in the university, but you are going to have other responsibilities (perhaps even more important than grades) that will consume your time. In this discipline, time is very essential.

2. Explore the different disciples in engineering

Overtime it’s been proven that a lot of first timers do not know much about different types of engineering and probably have no idea which field is right for them. Those who know their engineering fields and are adamant that they want to be a chemical engineer may find themselves questioning their choice after taking organic chemistry classes. Regardless of your knowledge of the various types of engineering, it’s important to keep an open mind.

There are many factors to consider while choosing an engineering specialization: future job demand, programs at your college, your own interest, etc. Most schools offer introductory courses which can expose you to a few of the different types of engineering. We think the best way to find what is absolutely right for you is to be directly involved with engineering clubs, have a professor tell you about his/her research, or talk to engineering upperclassmen about their classes. The earlier you identify what interests you the better; this way you waste less time taking the wrong classes and have more opportunities to join programs related to your chosen field.

Remember that leaving engineering is also an option. University is supposed to expose you to all different fields, in addition to the different types of engineering. Perhaps you may find your true passion in medicine or even literature.

3. Choose your college friends

It is believed that most people can be happy in any school that they go to, provided that they find meaningful people as college friends. These people are going to grow with you and they will be very influential in your life for the next four years. Your first few weeks of college life are going to be filled with extremely friendly people. Take advantage of that. No other time in college will people be so open to meeting you. However, remember that the friends you make in the first weeks will not necessarily be the college friends that remain with you a few years later.

4. Seek out additional opportunities for growth

In high school, having a high GPA defined success (more or less). That changes tremendously in college. It is not to say that grades aren’t important, but that other parts of life will come into play. Landing an internship is probably more important than obtaining A’s in every one of the classes. Learning soft skills such as communication (by communication, I don’t just mean having the ability to talk to the opposite gender) will greatly expand your network of influential people. Speaking of networks, having a group of influential people around will help you greatly in your future. See what I mean? It’s no longer just about the grades; it's also about your reputation as a hard worker, your ability to sweet-talk an interviewer, and your desire to improve yourself.

5. Don’t dismiss other subject areas

Something that is common within the engineering community is that they think we're the best on campus. Engineering students then to think that they are the smartest bunch because our engineering predecessors invented the modern world. We think we’re the most hard-working because while the “arts and crafts” (A.K.A. arts and sciences) people are hanging out, we’re studying how electrons work. Don’t do that. It’s good that you invented the first flying refrigerator machine, too bad you didn’t listen to your business major college friends about how there is no market for that.

Lastly, going crazy after leaving home (forever) is part of the first-year experience. But don’t go too crazy. Remember, you only have a few years at a university, so be sure to make the most out of them. I’m not telling you not to have fun – by all means, your first year of college life is when you’re supposed to go crazy – but don’t make choices you’ll regret. There are a lot of opportunities, people to meet, and most of all, distance to grow; it’d be a shame to waste four years throwing ping pong balls around in a basement.

Credits: http://go.engineer-ng.net/profiles/blogs/a-guide-for-first-year-engineering-students-in-the-university
I rep tripple E. proudly Energy conscious of ALMIGHTY UNIBEST.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Elparaiso(m): 9:06am On Apr 29, 2015
Futurecrown:
I rep tripple E. proudly Energy conscious of ALMIGHTY UNIBEST.
Must you quote the whole thing?

Repping Chemical Engineering, UNIBEN.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by shaboti: 9:07am On Apr 29, 2015
Thanks alot. Lemme save this page with faith that I'll apply the advice this year
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Futurecrown(m): 9:11am On Apr 29, 2015
Elparaiso:
Must you quote the whole thing?
Repping Chemical Engineering, UNIBEN.
Brother no vex. moreover what level are you?
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Tobilastik(m): 9:33am On Apr 29, 2015
undecided
Nicepoker:
Mech engr. Rotating Gears of the world. Civil engr. Builders of the world. Elect elect engr. Light of the world.

chemical nkor? :-
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Joshkid(m): 9:49am On Apr 29, 2015
eesy:

there are lots of kids in engineering this days
mtcheew!... Shoro niyenundecided
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Engrczar(m): 11:02am On Apr 29, 2015
Nice thread.
Remember there are lots of scholarship opportunities waiting for you as an Engineering student. Do well to apply for as many as you can.
Representing ChE......UNIZIK.
Proudly a Giant.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by jerome263: 1:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
tolustx:
I just may ve an input
. practice engineering drawing very well
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by tolustx(m): 2:00pm On Apr 29, 2015
jerome263:
. practice engineering drawing very well
I mean I could give helpful info to engineering students. I'm a graduate.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Jaypea98: 2:55pm On Apr 29, 2015
tolustx:

I mean I could give helpful info to engineering students. I'm a graduate.
Could you give out a list of careers in engineering that deals with working indoors rather than drilling outdoors all year round apart from computer engineering ?
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Etitigood(m): 7:10pm On Apr 29, 2015
emmybliz:
I rep petroleum engineering
which schl, cos am also reading petroleum engineering uniuyo
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 9:17pm On Apr 29, 2015
don't just jump into the engineering train...
are you ready for the heavy work load?

can you keep up with the competition?

are you prepared to go on with this kind of hectic education for 4/5yrs?

Do really have a passion for this or you just want to impress some people (maybe family)

please don't let anyone push you into this world,you gotta come in on your own volition.
Engineering isn't just a course or profession...it's a way of life.
you gotta live engineering.
Proudly civil engineering student wink
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 29, 2015
Nicepoker:
Mech engr. Rotating Gears of the world. Civil engr. Builders of the world. Elect elect engr. Light of the world.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Bibol(f): 5:34am On Apr 30, 2015
One thing every Nigerian Engineering student should know is this:
Your 2nd year in the uni is the most crucial one if you want to have a good result at the end of your study and not battle carry overs. Most people that eventually have extra years usually get hooked in their 2nd year and because of the volume of work in subsequent sessions, they can't repeat those courses till final year. I can't count the number of people I know didn't recover from the Year2 Tsunami. That's the year you will likely take engineering mathematics (basic and advanced), fluid mechanics, thermodynamics and the drawings . I think its the most stressful year also and most students tend to be choked up and not manage their time effectively. Its not every tutorial you must attend. Focus more on your practicals (if there is), assignments, lectures and personal study. Its best to read as you do your assignments. That way you won't have much backlog of topics to read up because there is even no time.
From experience, it usually gets pretty much steady over time as your study progresses, you will know how to balance school work with your social life.
All the best

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by sexymonkey(m): 10:06am On Apr 30, 2015
shaboti:
Thanks alot. Lemme save this page with faith that I'll apply the advice this year
Amen for you o.

ANOTHER ADVICE
If you're not so good in Further maths, Physics and Chemistry, my brother ....
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Lordbinsmar: 3:27pm On Apr 30, 2015
sexymonkey:
Amen for you o.

ANOTHER ADVICE
If you're not so good in Further maths, Physics and Chemistry, my brother ....
mr sexymonkey..stop passing roung information 2 the young people that intend to study engineering..if a student is not very gud in chemistry he or she can still excel in computer,electrical and electronics engineering,even mechanical engineering does not require high level of chemistry..but he or she must not attempt chemical or petroleum and gas engineering.also electrical and electronics,computer engineering does involve high level of physics and math,also mechanical requires more math skill than all other engineering discipline,but civil engineering involve equal understanding of all the 3 subject...soo each student sud try to discover where he or she can fit in..also if u are not very gud at math,you must develop passion 4it,and study harder cos nikolas tesja said that invention=1%inspiration and 99% perspiration.
Re: A Guide For First Year Engineering Students In The University by Lamexx(m): 9:26pm On Apr 30, 2015
Lordbinsmar:
mr sexymonkey..stop passing roung information 2 the young people that intend to study engineering..if a student is not very gud in chemistry he or she can still excel in computer,electrical and electronics engineering,even mechanical engineering does not require high level of chemistry..but he or she must not attempt chemical or petroleum and gas engineering.also electrical and electronics,computer engineering does involve high level of physics and math,also mechanical requires more math skill than all other engineering discipline,but civil engineering involve equal understanding of all the 3 subject...soo each student sud try to discover where he or she can fit in..also if u are not very gud at math,you must develop passion 4it,and study harder cos nikolas tesja said that invention=1%inspiration and 99% perspiration.

You are equally passing a wrong information too. Chemical Engineering does not involve heavy chemistry as you think. Infact for you to excel in Chemical Engineering, you need excellent math skills than chemistry. You need basic physics and chemistry skill. Your ability to solve and understand word problem is an added advantage.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How To Get Admitted In Medicine And Surgery Next Year / 5 Steps To Beat The Admission Cut-off Of Any Nigerian University / Asian Education: Better Than Western Education?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.