Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,462 members, 7,819,688 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:58 PM

My Common Entrance Story - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Common Entrance Story (1753 Views)

Anambra Leads In Common Entrance Exam 2017 / 2015 National Common Entrance Examination Into JS 1 Of Unity Colleges / How To Apply For National Common Entrance Examination (NCEE) 2015/2016??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Common Entrance Story by funmo(m): 2:13pm On Apr 25, 2015
ALANI OLORI NLA WRITES COMMON ENTRANCE

Seems it is the common entrance season, I heard it is common entrance in Lagos today, hence I decided to check the R.O.M of my brain for some of 'em old archives dating back as far as year 2000. I got these:

The Eve

Blessed art thou if you are in primary five and you have my type of Mum and 11-years-older sister. Why? Because you shall be extra-drilled as common entrance approaches.

There was this yellow-covered textbook (the name is still hiding somewhere in my R.A.M) and a Kola-way-to-succes book that I was made to know everything in them. So on common entrance's Eve, I just had to revise everything. I remember say light no dey that night self. Mathematics, English, Verbal reasoning, Quantitative analysis, Elementary science, Social studies and current affairs. I was ready, I can swear I slept late that night, probably 9pm. "Read the instructions carefully", "Farabale", "Concentrate", "Pray before you begin" amongst others were the final instructions from Mum and Aunti Tutu.

The D-day

Ijebu-Ode Grammar School!!! I had dreamt of schooling in you since I was in my mother's womb. Here I come, June 16th, 2000.
I set out with my mum, we probably took a cab to Abeokuta road where my would-be Alma Mata sits. This was my second visit to the school, I once had a brief stint earlier in the year when I came to represent my school (Gloria Nursery and Primary School) at some quiz. The quiz was held at Olusegun Osoba block (beside the lawn court na.. we used to call it LONG court back then). I couldn't move beyond that small demarcation linking the hall to the admin block, because OUT OF BOUND was boldly written on it. I emerged fourth in the quiz, behind Saint Anthony, Grace day and one other school (I think Tasce). My home boy, Demola Adeleye also came to rrep his school... we were once in Gloria together. It was a preliminary, so ten pupils qualified. (Ejule Godspower included - one of my classmates that we lost in Jss1 Red)

But this time, I was off to my venue; the now defunct dining. It was as noisy as expected, I mean, where you have hundreds of kids between the ages of 8 and 13 from numerous schools, expect noise, a lot of it. We went out to play nitiwa jare, since the exam didn't start on time. I could recognize some faces, most fondly that of my pal from school, Siyanbola Segun (R.I.P). I could notice some boarding student playing his flute in the former Jss3 block. We "was" grooving and having fun and all that. Before we knew it, question papers arrived and we scampered right back in, the noise was still on until Mr. Don't-be-silly came inside like an "army". Mr Akindele's loud voice was over the whole dining, everywhere (not everyone o ) hushed. We knew what to expect if we eventually resume. Welcome to Grammar school.

The Exams went well. The dining's arrangement was in a way that we sat in two's on the bench facing another two boys. ( Oh! The school is boys only for those unaware). I remember sitting beside some dude named Bunmi. He told me of how his school in Sagamu (or Odogbolu... can't remember which) was on strike and all. He didn't end up in Grammar school like myself, I dunno why.

After the paper, as instructed by Mum, I headed to the gate. But that statue of that dude, the one punching the keyboard keys in front of a monitor got my attention, as it did everybody's else. I still remember the words "citadel of knowledge" were visible around the monitor. We headed back home, and I think we trekked a distance or so, maybe we trekked from school back to our Ondo-Road home or something, can't remember. I had shaded the answers I submitted on the question paper and my sister marked. I got 70-something. Not good enough, I had a perfectionist-philosophy while growing up. I was frequently pushed to be the best and never miss a question. It still pays off, though I am no longer an academic freak.

Results Don Commot o o o

News making rounds months after said the results were out. One of our uncles (Uncle Gbenga) back in school went to check for us. I came eleventh. Unbelievable! Emi 11 ? Emiii The best student in the school? Eleventh? I mean, what happened to first position? Or at worst, top three. Wasn't good enough to me. But after getting enrolled as a student of Grammar School, it became good enough for the few months the list spent on the notice board, because I had to tell my class mates that I was number eleven. Tolu Ogunneye was third. Durojaiye Segun was first on that list. Non Nobis Domine.

I still bless the heavens to have spent seventeen terms in Ijb's and Ogun state's greatest secondary school (go and eat yam and rice if you think otherwise)

UP JOGS
Re: My Common Entrance Story by Rightguard: 6:28pm On Mar 06, 2019
COMMON ENTRANCE EXAMINATION

Past Questions
Pay on delivery...(N1,000)

Call: 07058764315
WhatsApp: +2347058764315

We also have storybooks and continuous weekly assessment that goes with the basic education curriculum.

(1) (Reply)

Can You Solve This? (see Photo) / Fulani And His Herding Cattles Traversing AAU In Edo In Rare Orderliness-photos / Learn Six Beautiful Hair Styles For Natural 4C Hair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.