Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,123 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:39 PM

Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl (30129 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by aprilwise(m): 9:03am On May 02, 2015
Nice story line. Ride on dear.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Missmossy(f): 9:39pm On May 03, 2015
Nene and her mom are really enduring a lot, pity them. Kudos Clarakings.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 1:44pm On May 05, 2015
The day crawled slowly as the scorching sun threatens to smite the living daylight out of earthly beings. Sales had been quite discouraging as six loaves of bread stared at me from my tray. The dry and dusty weather had caused people to opt for liquid other than snacks. Usually I should have been done with sales as at that time. I sat down to rest my weary feet on a three trunk. I stared at my school mates as they hurried home due to the harsh element and thought of school engulfed me. my teacher hadn't bothered to find out why I had stopped schooling. Probably she had a good guess at the reason. My thought went to my best friend and classmates, Precious who had written to me through Dera asking why I have not been to school. Well, I replied in the most appropriate way I can. The last experience she had in my house did not encourage her to pay another visit. A tap on my shoulder brought me out of my reverie.
" Person dey call you, you sidon here dey look" a mechanic apprentice said to me. I grabbed my tray and made towards my willing customer.
"Fyn geh, hope say your bread fresh today"
"Yes Sir, na this morning we buy am"
He settled for two loaves after scrutinizing the bread.
"Come collect your money when you sell finish, I no get change now".
"Okay Sir"
I lifted my tray on my head and left in search for more customers.
The sun has gone down when I strolled towards the mechanic workshop for my money.
"Who dey here o" I shouted when I could not see any life the workshop.
"Na me o" a voice replied from a little structure that houses their working tool.
I peered into the shop and could barely make out the face of a man that appeared to be counting money.
"Okay na u. Oya come collect na" he said stretching out his hand.
I reached out to collect the money from him but instead he drew me into his arms.
I looked up at him immediately surprised at his action and he smiled at me in response.
"Relax I go give you your money" he said lifting me unto his lap.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by soulminister(m): 5:46pm On May 05, 2015
let me just relax here and see what will become of this thread.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Ashiat39(f): 2:01pm On May 06, 2015
Poor nene, i feel sory 4 u, even her moda also. Wat a pity. Gud wk bt d last post was too short o. Al d way, more greece to ur elbow.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 8:49pm On May 06, 2015
Ashiat39:
Poor nene, i feel sory 4 u, even her moda also. Wat a pity. Gud wk bt d last post was too short o. Al d way, more greece to ur elbow.
tnx ma'am
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 10:08pm On May 06, 2015
"Baba Tunde you still dey?" Someone called from outside the workshop.
Baba Tunde quickly set me on the floor, stuffed the money into my palm and shoved me towards the door. I picked up my tray by the door and almost ran into the caller, a middle-aged man. He gave me a once-over and I hastily muttered a greeting and took off. After covering a considerable distance, I stopped to take a deep breath and continued more slowly. The thought of how Baba Tunde hugged me kept playing in my mind and wondered what could have made him to lift me onto his laps. Could it be the way daddies behave or could it be that he wanted to hurt me? I sought for answers that I could not find in my little mind. My thought went to my mother and I hastened my steps to save her the stress of searching for me.
I opened the gate to see my mother's bloodshot eyes staring into nothingness. I drew close and yet she didn't move a limb.
"Good evening mother" she jerked up slightly
"What kept you out too long" she wiped her eyes.
"Sales were very slow" I said omitting the incident at Baba Tunde' s workshop.
"Your father had been arrested by police" I turned to look at her not sure of what she said.
"He had an argument with Fabian at Mezie's bar and a fight ensued between them. Your father, out of rage hit him with a bottle and he lost consciousness. He has been taken to hospital while your father was handed over to the police." She finished and sniffed for the umpteen time. I stared at her as the words sank in.
"Check the pot for the remaining yam and oil we had for lunch"
The tears that coursed down mother's cheek took my appetite and I longed to hug her. But such sheer display of emotion never existed in my house and I contained myself praying that Mama Udozie would come that minute.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Missmossy(f): 9:09pm On May 07, 2015
Eeyah pity Nene and her mom a lot, thank God she wasn't raped. Her irresponsible father will bring his trouble on them. Lets see how it goes. Kudos Clarakings.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Ashiat39(f): 5:27am On May 08, 2015
Am hapi 4 nene cos she didnt raped. I Guess sumtng. Wel let it be insd me sha. I dey waitn 4 post o. Mre update pls
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 9:17pm On May 08, 2015
Missmossy:
Eeyah pity Nene and her mom a lot, thank God she wasn't raped. Her irresponsible father will bring his trouble on them. Lets see how it goes. Kudos Clarakings.
I really pity them too. Let's keep going and see how it goes.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 10:56pm On May 08, 2015
Last night wasn't a memorable one as mother kept sniffing for most part of the night after Pa Ikedi paid a visit to my mother. He was sent by the village chief to collect some part-payment for Fabian's treatment. Mother had pleaded for some time to enable her gather some money. Pa ikedi left after taking a cup of water as that was the only decent thing we could offer. Mother had collected the money we realized from the sales that day and yet it amounted to nothing. She had resorted to sobbing after her failed attempt to borrow from Uncle Ibezim, her only surviving brother.
"Nene"
"Mother" I stopped sweeping the room to go and answer her. Dera and Peter had gone to school as usual.
"We won't be selling today. You will take some food to the police station for your father while I go and look for money as Pa Ikedi is due to return tomorrow evening"
I nodded and resumed my sweeping.
After the food was set in a food warmer, I picked up and left taking the road other than the bush path. As stories had it that spirit pass through the bush path by that time of the day. And that any living person the spirit meets will loose his senses and will subsequently begin to see spirits. Coupled with mother's stern warning I avoided the bush path like a plaque.
The station hadn't been the way I anticipated it. Old vehicles littered the compound and the stern look I got from the police officers hadn't done justice to the saying that the police is your friend.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 10:59pm On May 08, 2015
To my faithful followers, sorry about the poor update. I had been a little busy of late. Keep following!

1 Like

Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Ashiat39(f): 9:51pm On May 09, 2015
K no pbm bt stil lookn foward
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Nobody: 11:53am On May 10, 2015
nice story clarakings
Am definitely following till the end
i feel sorry for nene and her mother
keep em coming
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 11:18am On May 11, 2015
"Smallie wetin u want" the officer at the desk asked looking over my head
"I wan give my papa food"
"Wetin be your papa name"
I scribbled my father's name on the paper he indicated on the desk slightly tilting my toes to gain height. The officer smiled at my effort in spite of his stern face and disappeared towards the hallway. He resurfaced with father, both hands behind his back.
"You have ten minutes!" He thundered and resumed his place at the desk.
"Good morning daddy"
"Nene you are here alone" he seemed to notice for the first time.
"Mother asked me to come, she had to go and look for money for Dede Fabian's treatment" I explained to defend my mother's absence.
He seemed to think for a while and then sighed. He appeared remorseful and I felt sorry for him.
"How is your brothers"
"They had gone to school"
"Your time is up!" The officer thundered again
"Nene everything will be fine. Greet your mother and be careful on the road" he said with a note of concern and for the first time, his eyes appeared misty. I gave him the food and he hurriedly ate like one being pursued.
By the time I left the police station, the heat from the sun had intensified and I wished that I could follow the bush path had it not been the tales about the spirit. I got home and mother was no where to be found. I cleaned the food warmer and pulled my school bag from under the bed full of thoughts about school.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Ashiat39(f): 10:32pm On May 11, 2015
Hmmm... I pity nene's mother as she is going to single handed the issue of money wt no help 4rm other ppl, i pity nene herself 4 nt being in schl again. I knw dat God av plain 4 her. Clara, thank u 4 d fulfilment of ur prms. Grt wk, kip it up.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 12:24am On May 13, 2015
CHAPTER THREE
The days had crawled into weeks and Dede Fabian appeared to have recuperated as the hospital management had issued a discharge for him. Mother was greatly relieved because one source of accumulating more debt has been dealt with. At the peak of the incident she had gone to Chief Lambert, the money lender, to borrow some money. However, I wondered what mother must have used as a collateral that made him to borrow such a large amount of money to her. I wouldn't dare ask because mother might think that am becoming disrespectful. I chided my curious mind and continued my washing before the sun drags itself into the cloud. I had barely rinsed the clothers when mother sauntered in, both hands on her head wailing at the same time.
"The worst has happened! What sort of life is this?" She cried.
I cleaned my hands on my dress and stared at her for explanations.
"They are charging your father to court" she announced and sat on the floor.
"But Dede Fabian is well again"
" I don't know what else to do. We have nobody to save us from the clutches of the law. We have no means of getting a lawyer" my mother cried tears streaming down her eyes. I sat quietly beside her confused on what to do.
"Mother why don't you talk to Chief Lambert, maybe he will help us". My mother seems to consider my suggestion for a while and then rose up immediately and made for the gate.
"I am going to see Chief Lambert" she said behind her.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by eitsei(m): 6:40am On May 13, 2015
d update is short
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 7:40pm On May 13, 2015
eitsei:
d update is short
sorry about that, will make up soon. Update loading......
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 10:43pm On May 13, 2015
Father's court case had dragged on for six months with little or no progress. The proceedings had been quite boring when the chief Judge announced that the hearing had been adjourned till 31st May. Mother appeared unruffled with the turn out of events as she sat in the courtroom with a look of indifference. Chief Lambert had been really gracious to my family and had taken full responsibility of the household. His generosity had rubbed off on me as I have resumed school to our neighbor's disbelieve. Even though I missed a term and some weeks but half bread they say, is better than none. I was glad that father's predicament became a blessing in disguise.
I straightened the rumples on my dress as I readied myself for what later became the last hearing of father's trial case. I cleaned my new sandals and stared at myself in the mirror, a smile of satisfaction playing around my lips. Mother had requested that I accompany her to the court for reasons best known to her when we had known already that Chief Lambert will support with his presence.
"Nene hurry let's go" my mother called from the living room.
"I am ready ma" I said running out the room.
We boarded a bus in the company of two market women who discussed in hushed tones like they were scared of something. I concentrated on the journey reading as many sign-board as possible as I watched the village setting transcend into a city setting. We arrived at the courtroom a little bit earlier than anticipated. Mother sought for a comfortable sitting position when Chief Lambert walked in with father's defense counsel both in deep conversation. She smiled broadly at Chief Lambert before making her way towards them. The first real smile I had seen on mother's face after a long time.
"Court arise!' The court clerk announced as the chief Judge walked in his regalia. My eyes wondered towards the dock where father stood, head bowed.
The chief judge read out the case and both counsels presented their evidence and argued for what seemed like ages. I was almost dozing off when I heard the chief judge pronouncement.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by royalguest: 12:38am On May 14, 2015
I love it when people have beautiful stories to tell and pass it on so wonderfully well... nice job Clarakings...
Everybody is blocking me, una jus pack una self full for front seat, wetin short latecomers like me go do na? make una shift ooo...
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by eitsei(m): 1:11am On May 14, 2015
take ur seat by d side.....u r welcome
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by McJANNY(f): 12:32pm On May 14, 2015
Beautiful storyline....can't wait for more updates!!!
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 7:40pm On May 14, 2015
royalguest:
I love it when people have beautiful stories to tell and pass it on so wonderfully well... nice job Clarakings...
Everybody is blocking me, una jus pack una self full for front seat, wetin short latecomers like me go do na? make una shift ooo...
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 7:42pm On May 14, 2015
royalguest:
U r wlcm. Abeg make una give am special seat.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by drtwist(m): 9:02pm On May 14, 2015
thank God I have a very good height unlike Royalguest so I can see very well as a late comer. Continue nene listening from Warri
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 10:04pm On May 14, 2015
"Mr Francis Ibe, having been found guilty of attempted murder, you are hereby sentenced to five years imprisonment with an option of fine payment of one million naira. The verdict has been declared". A complete silence descended on the courtroom. Father opened his mouth to plead for leniency but nothing came out. Mother stood up as if to challenge the judgement but sat immediately when she realized that all the pairs of eye in the courtroom stared at her.
"Court arise!" The court clerk announced.
Father's defense counsel starred hopelessly at the chief judge as he left the courtroom. Dede Fabian's brother stood at the far corner of the courtroom, a smile of satisfaction clearly on his face. Mother glared at him for a while and made her way towards the dock where father stood, beads of cold sweat on his forehead. The hatred mother feels towards Dede Fabian brother, Mathew was evident in the way mother glared at him. There was this story about Uncle Mathew wanting to marry mother when she was a maiden. He had done everything humanly possible to win her love but mother was hell-bent on waiting for Father till he had gathered enough money to fulfill the marriage rites. That rancor had lingered for years even after Uncle Mathew eventually got married three years ago.
"So this is it" Mother shrugged fighting back the tears that was threatening to spill in millions.
"I am sorry" Father muttered leaning over the dock to gain strength.
"You have less than five minutes" the police said to their hearing.
"This is not the life you promised me" mother continued.
"Where in the world will I get one million naira to bail you?" Mother asked finally giving in to the tears.
Father drew her into his arms unable to utter a word. I wiped the tears that have escaped from my larcrimal gland as I fidgeted with the hem of my dress.
" Your time is up" the officer shouted this time unable to hide his impatience.
The two disengaged from the embrace and father held out both hands for handcuff.
"Take care of our children" father said as he was being led away when their eyes met and held for a moment.
"Nene I love you and your brothers" father said to me as my eyes caught his own and I couldn't help but wonder at my father's new attitude. The beasty attitude in him had been replaced by something gentle and warm. The officer shoved him inside the awaiting black maria and mother cringed. I stood beside mother as the black maria gathered momentum and zoomed out of the court premises.
"So much for having a fool as a husband abi?" Uncle Mathew muttered behind us.
"Better a fool than a devil" mother retorted without even turning to look at him and pulled me towards Chief Lambert's volvo where he stood patiently waiting for us.
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by royalguest: 8:02am On May 15, 2015
Haba! 5 years imprisonment only? They should better add hard labour too...
If I'm mama Nene, I'd have left with my children ever since, being a single mom is better than having to live in constant rape, abject poverty, insecurity and it's accompanying hypertension...
I pity Nene, to learn to deal with all these at such a tender age, make she no go get psychological problem later in life o!
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by stonecoldcafe: 8:08am On May 15, 2015
Why are they crying for him? He's been nothing but a brute!
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Nobody: 9:06am On May 15, 2015
Nice work clarakings
You rock,but the updates are short sad
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Jummyjagz(f): 10:18am On May 15, 2015
Right behind kitnah cheesy
nice story
Re: Diary Of A Nigerian Schoolgirl by Clarakings(f): 9:32pm On May 17, 2015
"Haven't you cried enough?" Chief Lambert said as mother dabbed at her eyes for countless time in five minutes.
"You did your best. We all did our best to save him but the long arm of the law was stronger". He continued and mother's sobbing seemed to subside.
"After all he wasn't of much use to you...." at this, mother shot him a murderous look and he swallowed the rest of the sentence.
We drove in silence for the most part of the journey. Chief Lambert wore a worried expression and kept stealing glance at mother while she stared ahead. He had offered to drive us home even when mother protested, he had insisted noting that mother does not look too well for public transportation. My stomach churned to demand for a refill and I had to take a deep breath to conceal the noise.
"Nene aren't you hungry?" Chief Lambert asked and I stared at him confused at whether to deny or not for fear of what mother might think.
"You must be hungry" he said as if reading my mind. Who said angels doesn't exist? He parked by the road side to get some snacks from a hawker. It was really his lucky day because Chief Lambert almost bought all his wares just to make sure we have enough to eat.
"It wasn't a bad day after all" I thought in my mind as I nibbled at my snacks not wanting it to finish.
"What was that man telling you outside the courtroom" Chief Lambert tried starting a conversation to keep mother from slipping into oblivion.
"You mean mathew, he was just making fun of the whole situation. That's all."
"Why would he do that?"
"I guess that was one of his lucky days" Chief Lambert waited for more explanation but mother only heaved a sigh apparently indicating the end of the discussion.
"Whatever is their problem" I concentrated on my snacks carefully dividing the egg into two equal halves for Dera and Peter while I eat the other half. I had slept off by the time we got home. I stirred and heard clatters of rainfall on our roof. I stood up to close the windows as the rain poured down with veracity. Dera and Peter were not in sight as the small clock on the table said 6:30pm. I was still contemplating if to wake mother when she stretched and woke up.
"Where are your brothers" she noted their absence.
"They have not returned"
Mother jerked up from the bed, grabbed the umbrella and I ran after her into the rain, in search of my brothers.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Sex Work Is Work (18+) [Book has now been published] / "Kidnapped For Rituals In Broad Day Light" / From PHCN, With Love……

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.