Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,604 members, 7,809,194 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:20 AM

7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions (3294 Views)

7 Reasons We Should Stop Killing Snakes / 7 Reasons Why Your New Products Failed In The Market / 7 Reasons Why Nigerians Are Happy People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by Nimen(m): 11:30am On Apr 28, 2015
1. Its always story sessions with them, they'll end up telling you that Abraham Lincoln had to trek a million miles to borrow a book, forgetting that there are cars now, and i can download any Ebook or PDF file i want in seconds.

2. They know all the inspirational quotes by heart, and will blub up an Isaac Newton inspirational quote in minutes, or even a Potiphar quote in seconds... Scratch that, did Potiphar have any quotes? Something about these quotes is that they don't have any meaning in the 21st Century Africa take this wonderful quote..

"I can't change the direction of the wind but i can adjust my sails to reach my destination" - Jimmy Dean

Cool quote huh? But oga, what if ma destination is in the same direction the wind is coming from?

3. For their mind they can read and are versatile... Motivational speakers read, yes thats a fact, but they ain't versatile, they only read motivational books too, rarely nothing else. So sometimes i'm curious when they know almost all Abe Lincoln's quotes without actually reading a book by Abe Lincoln, they know all Aristotle's quotes without ever seeing an Aristotle book.

4. Many speakers lack elementary knowledge of public speaking, the crowd is not jotting down because they not understanding what they saying, or we've heard that shid over and over again. Imagine a Motivational Speaker coming a second time, we pay the gate fee and he starts repeating what we've heard in his cd and read in his books.

5. They're always Christians and i wonder why all Christians that go to their sessions are not successful. Haven't seen a very popular secular motivational speaker yet.

6. They always say the same thing, start with what you have, start from where you are, start now; was a slogan a man hammered in our ears sotey ma guy entered a business that almost ran him down

7. It's always about money to them, even the gate free sessions i've gone to, we end up buying their books, and materials which are the same things they say, nothing different.

Lots have changed since i've started trying self motivation

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by laplace12(m): 11:34am On Apr 28, 2015
Motivational words benefit only the speaker. It enriches his pocket.

The truth is in the Bible.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by Nimen(m): 11:46am On Apr 28, 2015
Lol the guy above me is pained!! Hope they no give you "magic business ideas"?
cc lalasticlala
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by blank(f): 11:58am On Apr 28, 2015
I really dislike all these motivational speakers. They never have anything of substance to say.

Their soundbites are just so terrible. Leave me feeling even more unmotivated.
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by AdeniyiA(m): 12:30pm On Apr 28, 2015
The worst part is many of them come from rich background where they were pushed up the ladder of success. undecided
I would rather listen to a speaker who once sold purewater, firewood, credit cards, street hawkers etc, than one born with silver spoon
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by Nobody: 12:37am On May 03, 2015
I dislike that thing too. Most just play with words.

"Aspire to desire so as to acquire" blabla. With no substance.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by Dhelake: 6:35am On May 03, 2015
Not all though, I can at least talk of Brian Tracy

Some of the things you wrote are just plain criticism and nothing more, if a motivational speaker tells you Lincoln walked 20 miles, he's not telling you that so that you'll also walk 20 miles, He's only making you realise how much effort Lincoln put in.

though some of the things you wrote are quite true
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by mikeczay: 7:19am On May 03, 2015
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by An0nimus: 7:40am On May 03, 2015
A few are doing quite ok but most of what the OP said is true. Sometimes, I feel bad seeing a motivational speaker looking like he himself needs some motivation. Its like these 'entrepreneurs' who want to teach you how to make 50k a week but don't look like someone making that amount of money.
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by An0nimus: 7:43am On May 03, 2015
mikeczay:
A dot on a Sunday morning?
My brother, fear God.

1 Like

Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by Kazrem(m): 9:13am On May 03, 2015
Jarus:
I dislike that thing too. Most just play with words.

"Aspire to desire so as to acquire" blabla. With no substance.
Egbon I do agree with you but not all of them. Only that some people are not scamming with it. They have little or no experience yet to want to coach and inspire one. If you listen to AbdurRahman Lekki, Adeolu Akinyemi, you will see the true definition of motivation speaking. Meanwhile the two reject motivational speaking title but liked to be addressed as Life Coach which they indeed are.
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by XtraSmooth404: 11:21am On May 03, 2015
I won't just condemn motivational speakers blatantly. Sometimes you pass through some experiences and it's like you are losing focus, you start wondering the essence of your living (work and career inclusive). That moment you just need some talks to put you back on track. Motivational talk has a way of polishing one's confidence.
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by Kazrem(m): 12:43pm On May 03, 2015
Op, all what you said is true and at the same time false. Truth because many young people now see motivation speaking as a short cut to earn quick money. They read books and cram what is there. They neither has experience nor the prerequisites to motivate their selves let alone another. False because there are some genuine, experienced, professional motivation speakers.
Listen to AbdurRahman Lekki, Adeolu Akinyemi and host of other experienced speakers and see the true definition of public speaker.
To me, you must have 3 things before you can call yourself a motivational speaker. 1. Experience - meaning you must start from the scratch. 2. Business/Solution oriented - If you do not have any business idea or solution to human problem, you aren't qualified to claim to be a motivational speaker 3. Passionate to Help - Many of the self acclaimed motivational speakers we see today are after their pocket and not to help other despite that they "teach" what Zig Ziglar said that you can have whatever you want in life if you can just help enough people to get what they want.
So, op my submission- there are still genuine motivation speakers but the "profession" is flooded with ingenuine ones just as we have them almost in every profession.
Re: 7 Reasons Why I Dislike Motivational Speakers And Their Sessions by Olaone1: 3:46pm On May 03, 2015
I don't like them too. Most pastors and imams are motivational speakers in disguise.

Year of transformation.
Year of abundant success, etc. undecided

(1) (Reply)

Biography Of Apc's 2019 Imo State Guber Candidate Hope Odidika Uzodinma / Happy New Month: Motivation : How To Achieve Your Goals In 2013 / Cashless Economy: Exploring Its Impact On The Nigerian Economy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.