Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,510 members, 7,819,839 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:21 AM

Why Business Schools Cannot Teach You Business. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Why Business Schools Cannot Teach You Business. (690 Views)

Business Skills Lagos Business School Can't Teach You / How I Made Over $3,400 In Cryptocurrency In 4 Months!—i Can Teach You For Free!! / Why Business Networking Fails To Bring The Desired Business. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Why Business Schools Cannot Teach You Business. by MrSunesis(m): 7:39pm On Apr 28, 2015
This article is written as a contribution to that published by Adiya Atuluku on Business Schools Can't Teach You Business. See link here
https://www./business-schools-cant-teach-you-adiya-atuluku

''For an MBA school or program to be able to actually teach you how to birth and successfully run a business, it in itself has to become a business…willing to take on the uncertainties and dynamics of birthing and running a successful one. And it needs to achieve this feet over and over again in differing scenarios. It should not just see itself as a school.
We usually do not associate things like creativity and imagination to the rigid practices of business. Therefore we miss out in MBA programs.''

I see an entrepreneur (or 'intrapreneur') as a creative problem solver who renders solutions to prevailing or foreseeable problems in exchange for payment. Paraphrasing, he or she is a VALUE-CREATING individual (mixing his SKILLS, EXPERIENCE, and KNOWLEDGE) to produce something that people want now, or will later discover they want. I call this the Value-Mix.

Creativity creates value. Value attracts money. The gradual accumulation of money means a successful business is evolving. Eventually, competition arises further giving rise to an attractive and competitive industry. Schools then study these successful businesses within such an industry, discovering principles/definitions which are then taught in schools as knowledge.

Now, based on the earlier stated Value-Mix model, we see that knowledge alone is not enough to learn how to successfully create or run a business. Experience (an accummulated sense of judgement based on your own unique awareness or observation) and skills (self-refined talents) still need to come into the mix. All these feed you with information that help you create. Thus a new idea, or solution is created which people are willing to pay for.

However, the subject of creativity is complex and as unique as each of our individual DNA composition. As an individual in the creative industry, I see that it is easier to inspire creativity than to teach it. Such forms of inspiration give rise to ideas out of which a business is birthed. Further ideas sustains it.
Creativity births possibilities. It spurs the desire to take risks and confront uncertainties…which are not things our present educational systems are readily open to. More so, some businesses start spontaneously/immediately. Others take a lifetime of processes. This is because ideas are like seeds, each having its' own peculiar gestation period. The permutations are endless. Starting and successfully running businesses does not follow the rules of 1-2years diplomas, graduate programs, MBAs, PHDs, etc etc.It is as complex as your thought processes are. Businesses do not suddenly jump at you for having completed a degree program. They live, then die…and then in some cases, live again. They are started and run successfully by young teenagers as by old citizens as well. There are rules and no-rules at the same time. They respond mainly to the directions of their originators or owners. This is why a number of business owners abandoned (and are still dropping out of) such tertiary programs as most cannot see the relationship between the creative ideas in their heads and the rigid nature of tertiary institutions. I dare say, it is as if present day tertiary education programs do the exact opposite of what it takes to start and run a business. At best, the most profitable programs seem only to be able to present students with solutions that can allow them relatively 'sustain' a business in its life's cycle.

''Will a business school advice you to buy whatsapp for $19 billion even if you had the money? Or will they tell you how to start a company from your parents' garage until you make it big like Apple?''
The truthful present-day significance of tertiary education is to help an individual be effectively and efficiently relevant to an already existing business…not to start one. Will a business school advice you to buy whatsapp for $19 billion even if you had the money? Or will they tell you how to start your company from your parents garage until you make it big like Apple? Facebook could do this for a number of reasons but chiefly due to the visioning of its founder...much the same way he started Facebook itself. MBA schools don't teach you how to 'vision'. That is your responsibility. This is not to say that a formal tertiary education is useless, but to push forward a debate concerning its relevance and maybe provoke a rethink on the content of such tertiary educational programs. I will hire an MBA graduate only if he or she is creatively relevant to my business...same way I will hire a college dropout if he possesses solutions for my business. I only see myself hiring creative people that can be made partners one day...not certificate holders. I need to see that he can be able to start and run his own business if presented with the same insights as I had in starting mine.

For an MBA school or program to be able to actually teach you how to birth and successfully run a business, it in itself has to become a business…willing to take on the uncertainties and dynamics of birthing and running a successful one.And it needs to achieve this feet over and over again in differing scenarios. It should not just see itself as a school.

So, you are spot on Adiya Atiluku, in that business schools cannot teach you business.
You are right in that you have to teach yourself...or you learn under someone running a successful business.

(1) (Reply)

What Do You Think About A Satellite Radio / Addynamo Alternatives - Anyone Know Of Any? / Please How Can I Earn $5 - $10 Daily Online With A Blackberry Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.