Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,768 members, 7,809,957 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:48 PM

Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs (31978 Views)

7 Pros And Cons Of Becoming A Lawyer / How To Get Government Jobs Alert Nairaland / Urgent!!! Please which of the Federal Government Jobs Should I Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by kaybams1(m): 1:00pm On Apr 29, 2015
The choices we make define our future one way or the other. That's why its imperative for job seekers to understand that the desperation to get a job should be balanced with a careful understanding of some basics. Our Economy is a mixed one: you either get employed by the private or public sector. Each of them have their pros and cons which should be considered carefully in line with your long term vision before making a choice (if one happen to exist). The pros of government job happens to be the cons of private ones and vice versa.

These are the observed merits and demerits of Government jobs have observed:

PROS OF GOVERNMENT JOBS

The best aspects of a government job include:

STABILITY: Unlike the private sector where
companies can go out of business, the
government never goes out of business.
Agencies or offices may close or morph into
new forms, but there will always be
government jobs. Employees will always be
needed to complete the tasks only
government does, and additional employees
will always be needed to support them.
Moreover, incessant laying off of workers is
less prevalent in government jobs than private ones.

FLEXIBILITY: In the vast majority of positions,
workers can easily maintain a healthy work-
life balance. Additionally, telecommuting
and alternative work schedules are common
in government agencies. For jobs that
require employees to conduct much of their
business away from the office, government
organizations have begun providing
equipment to facilitate a mobile workforce.

BENEFITS: Government benefits almost
always exceed private sector benefits
packages. Employees often have superior
health care plans with lower cost and
favorable retirement plans. In prolonged
recessions, government and private sector
benefit packages both get worse. Still,
government benefits remain better.

TIME OFF. Leave time accruals are
generous, and managers tend to be
permissive in approving vacation time.
Federal holidays are observed. State and
local governments sometimes have their
own additional holidays.

CONS OF GOVERNMENT JOB

The worst aspects of a government job include:

SLOW SALARY GROWTH: Cost-of-living
adjustments authorized for government
employees rarely keep up with inflation, and
merit raises are given to only a small
percentage of top performers. For big salary
increases, government employees have to
compete for vacant positions with higher
salaries.

CAPPED EARNING POTENTIAL: Government
executives are often paid less than their
private sector counterparts. To hit the big
paydays, high level government employees
jump to the private sector.

LOW LEVELS OF CONTROL: Bureaucracy
doesn’t only frustrate citizens. It also
plagues government employees wanting to
get things done quickly. Expect all major
and many minor decisions to go through
some sort of formal approval process.

LAZY CO-WORKERS: Adages about lazy
government workers exist for a reason.
Some government employees just do what
is asked of them and no more, but there are
far more employees who are driven to
achieve more than just the bare minimum.
Unfortunately, poor performers are rarely
coached to better performance or fired for
cause.

No matter what you want to do, chances are you can do it for the government. You just need to make sure that you're willing to put up with the negative aspects in exchange for the positive ones.

However, if you happen to be lucky to be faced with a choice of choosing between a government job and a private one. I will advise you to consider the one with a better Job security, Flexibility and a fairly comfortable salary.

So let's assume you get a private job that will pay you 150k per month and a government job that offers to pay 110k monthly. The private job offers a better pay obviously but if it doesn't guarantee you of Job security and a flexible time table that can make you pursue other profitable endeavours unlike the government job, My advise is you choose the government job.

The secret of wealth is not necessarily a relatively better pay on the short term but the ability to diversify your sources of income using a steady stream of income.
However, regardless of the job you find yourself, never ignore this secret if you want to be wealthy in the long run.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Ben1975(m): 1:04pm On Apr 29, 2015
I know plenty of people who work for the government and have gone 15+ months without a pay check. That's not job security that's volunteer charity work.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nobody: 1:07pm On Apr 29, 2015
So it is better to remain a policeman earning less than 30k than davido's bouncer? I dnt think so.....forget pension.....most govt worker dnt live to collect theirs

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by kaybams1(m): 1:11pm On Apr 29, 2015
Ben1975:
I know plenty of people who work for the government and have gone 15+ months without a page check. That's not job security that's volunteer charity work.

You don't make exception a rule. Yes, you right that happens atimes in public sector jobs, but you cannot say this doesn't happen in private jobs too. Be that as it may, I still prefer Government owing me money than working for a private individual that can fire me at whim without offering me any form of compensation or reasonable explanation.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by kaybams1(m): 1:32pm On Apr 29, 2015
prof1990:
So it is better to remain a policeman earning less than 30k than davido's bouncer? I dnt think so.....forget pension.....most govt worker dnt live to collect theirs

What will be the fate of davido's bouncer when davido's popularity/profit suddenly starts dwindling and davido decides to sack him and get a cheaper bouncer? (Knowing fully well that the 'bouncer' market is flooded with competitors).

17 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by yorke1: 5:37pm On Apr 29, 2015
Government job makes majority of the people to be lazy and lack ambition.

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Atmmachine(m): 5:38pm On Apr 29, 2015
On point

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nobody: 5:38pm On Apr 29, 2015
One major advantage of govt job is the JOB SECURITY. There is union and you don't get fired anyhow. Also it in many cases afford you time to pursue other things. Unlike the private sector jobs. My friend who works in a Local govt was given 4yrs study leave with his salary guaranteed.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
Bring the two jobs for me first, then we can talk about the challenges of each of them.. angry angry angry

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by condralbede(m): 5:39pm On Apr 29, 2015
Interesting....That of the ''LAZY CO WORKER"is so true,I over experienced that during my NYSC year

1 Like 1 Share

Ben1975:
I know plenty of people who work for the government and have gone 15+ months without a page check. That's not job security that's volunteer charity work.

You mean paycheck.

3 Likes 1 Share

Abeg give me the government job like that!

6 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by auditor0471: 5:40pm On Apr 29, 2015
My cons for Government work is that It kills potential and creativity

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by resdan(m): 5:40pm On Apr 29, 2015
Legalize it!!!!it's legal in some parts of the world!!!

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nobody: 5:41pm On Apr 29, 2015
You can become a millionaire overnight

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Asuokaa: 5:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
There is nothing like been your own boss smiley

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by McEwen(m): 5:42pm On Apr 29, 2015
spot on...
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by realGURU(m): 5:43pm On Apr 29, 2015
.a
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Setaje(f): 5:43pm On Apr 29, 2015
My dad said he prays everyday that none of his children will work in a government establishment. If u are honest and hard working. Don't work for the Nigerian government. We had a bitter experience. Honest and good people don't go far.

14 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nobody: 5:43pm On Apr 29, 2015
Government work offer little challenge in most cases. You end up being a mediocre.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by mytime24(f): 5:43pm On Apr 29, 2015
Issoki
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Adyrin(m): 5:44pm On Apr 29, 2015
OH........OK
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by miqos02(m): 5:45pm On Apr 29, 2015
good
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by lumzybo: 5:48pm On Apr 29, 2015
OP, God bless u 4 this post. Presently, I am considering a switch from public to private. Though I am a little scared abt my move cos it's more like leaving certainty 4 uncertainty. "This is a very huge risk". When u consider the juicy salary u get from the private sector, hmmmmmn..., u gonna be tempted to quit.

Every man loves to fly when ur mates in the private sector are flying. PLS not that u are stationary with govt work,buh when u mates are flying, u are jogging.

The answer here is 4 pple in the public sector to get a good business plan n give it a trial cos u av what pple in the private sector don't av and wish they have "TIME".

Its a risk worth taking. With God on ur side, u can make it.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by jamillion: 5:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
Think responsibly and channel your thought on how you can work for urself, pay urself monthly salary and probably pay urself to pension...think big and act bigger, pessimism ar for loosers

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by nkemdi89(f): 5:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
Government job all the way nothing like when you have your freedom, nobody can sack you unless they go tru the process, the growth is slow but permanent u can even venture into things and you continue to receive your salary. Chat all day on nairaland and nobody will deduct ur salary.

14 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by pretydiva(f): 5:49pm On Apr 29, 2015
Jst here 2 read comments

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by timilehing(m): 5:51pm On Apr 29, 2015
Government job is da bomb grin grin No matter how busy the day is, you'll still have time to monitor your other businesses.

4 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Kingspin(m): 5:52pm On Apr 29, 2015
As Nigerians.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by free2ryhme: 5:52pm On Apr 29, 2015
Land for sale
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Dopefiend(m): 5:54pm On Apr 29, 2015
Ben1975:

Involuntary charity work you mean. They didn't know their pay was going to get delayed, did they?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / How Journalists Around The World Risk Their Lives. / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.