Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,811 members, 7,810,115 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs (31980 Views)

7 Pros And Cons Of Becoming A Lawyer / How To Get Government Jobs Alert Nairaland / Urgent!!! Please which of the Federal Government Jobs Should I Take? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nosyke(m): 5:29am On Apr 30, 2015
nkemdi89:

Don't get me wrong am not mocking you that you are not working in the govt sector or neither am I saying u won't be opportuned to but am only analysing your points and educating you on pros. Where you are working is immaterial cos I never mentioned mine to sound like someone bragging. The important thing is the job satisfaction. NL is a forum where debate and contributions are being made its nothing personal.

Okay, I get you now. Like you said and I agree with you, job satisfaction is key.

Cheers
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by nkemdi89(f): 7:16am On Apr 30, 2015
Nosyke:

Okay, I get you now. Like you said and I agree with you, job satisfaction is key.

Cheers
Thanks for your understanding.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by kuuljay(m): 7:51am On Apr 30, 2015
nkemdi89:

You are saying these maybe because you have not been privilege to work in that, most of them may appear wretched cos of the job ethics or rather mentality. But I put it to you that most are hotel eatery and church owners, some may drive old passat to work but come and check dem in evening or sunday with their jeeps, atiku and the likes started from government, even the police most are into sport, entertainment and church owners. Which private establishment apart from some well structured will even give you time to go for interview in another establishments not to talk of setting up business or pursuing your passion so that you should grow more than them? How many privates pays overtime, leave bonus and others, even most deprive their staff of public holidays.imagine when u give a nursing mother one month maternity leave .
am sure you are a civil servant for knowing this,most civil servants live in disguise.even buying a new suit can get your colleagues sniffing to find out what you are up to.in reality they are not as broke as they look.show your wealth in the service?...Very dangerous
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Setaje(f): 8:41am On Apr 30, 2015
Abraham2013:

My dear, tell ur dad dat NNPC, NIMASA, DPR n NLNG r all govt establishments. So he had beta start changing his prayer request. No offence

Fortunately my dad is an ex staff of nnpc. 35 yrs in service. Hold your thoughts.

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by highlygbaski: 9:48am On Apr 30, 2015
It all depends on the kind of government job though. I know of a friend that was employed by WAEC as a graduate n his total package per annum is around 2.3m...And he closes by 3:30 pm dail. only a few banks,private companies can pay that amount to a graduate. And his salary increases yearly even b4 promotion.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by nkemdi89(f): 10:18am On Apr 30, 2015
kuuljay:
am sure you are a civil servant for knowing this,most civil servants live in disguise.even buying a new suit can get your colleagues sniffing to find out what you are up to.in reality they are not as broke as they look.show your wealth in the service?...Very dangerous
Honestly the moment you get something new it becomes gossip, and you know blue collar crime is rampant in most govt institution so most of them hide their wealth to avoid attention. Imagine a level 10 officer in the local govt is a owner of an hotel and filling station. When is salary is less than 100k.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by ecoliattack(m): 10:50am On Apr 30, 2015
Government jobs is not good for the young esp. when you are in your early and mid twenties. Government jobs makes one lazy and lacks creativity.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by jeo4u(m): 3:07pm On Apr 30, 2015
I will work for the govt when I clock 45 but for now there is money to be make in the private sector

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nweike1: 7:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
kaybams1:

You don't make exception a rule. Yes, you right that happens atimes in public sector jobs, but you cannot say this doesn't happen in private jobs too. Be that as it may, I still prefer Government owing me money than working for a private individual that can fire me at whim without offering me any form of compensation or reasonable explanation.
Very correct!
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by ice234: 10:29pm On Apr 30, 2015
What an ideal scenario,

Its, lets make it practical. If this scenario is achievable, all government staff will be sinking in money. But we know the truth.

kaybams1:

Its simple bro. The annual salary differential between the private sector worker and that of the government worker is around 840k (in other words, the private worker earns 840k more than the government worker annually). If the government worker is an industrious investor, he can be saving around 40% of his income (that's around 30k) for a spate of say 5 years. His annual savings will be around 360k.

Since government jobs are flexible and they give you time to pursue other endeavours, he can invest that annual savings of 360k in a viable business that will bring him a monthly 15% Return on Investment (ROI). That's like 648k extra income for the government worker. The wage differential between them has now reduced to 192k.

Now imagine that the government worker reinvests like 70% of that 648k extra income he earned (that's approximately 454k) in the second year in another viable business that will bring him that same 15% ROI monthly. In the second year the government worker will be having an annual 816.48k extra income. If you add this extra income to the government worker's normal annual income, his gross income will be totalling around 1.8million.

This means he's now earning almost a million more than our private employee in just the second year. Now let's imagine if this government worker keeps reinvesting like 60% of that extra income the subsequent years, he will be swimming in millions in just 5 years. But our private worker won't be given the time the government worker has to pursue this entrepreneurial endeavour thereby making his pay stagnant.

Your salary isn't what makes you a wealthy man, its a job that provides you sufficient time and steady income to finance your entrepreneurial dream. You can take this fact to the bank.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by kaybams1(m): 5:45am On May 01, 2015
ice234:
What an ideal scenario,

Its, lets make it practical. If this scenario is achievable, all government staff will be sinking in money. But we know the truth.

All government staffs can't be 'sinking in money' because the Information world is asymmetric. The reason why most are poor isn't because they don't have the substantial resources to build long run wealth but mainly because they just don't know HOW to.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by ice234: 12:25am On May 02, 2015
bros, seriously how do I compare government job to private job. Okay let's compare
a new graduate engineer lecturer earns like 80k per month. And a new engineer employee at MTN does 200k, do your permutations.

kaybams1:

All government staffs can't be 'sinking in money' because the Information world is asymmetric. The reason why most are poor isn't because they don't have the substantial resources to build long run wealth but mainly because they just don't know HOW to.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by odimbannamdi(m): 9:37pm On May 05, 2015
honestly speaking, life can really be ironical sometimes.

Here i am praying to GOD everyday for a govt job at the federal or state level, and some people who has one wants to port out because of low pay.

i sooo much desire a govt job because of the time it will afford me to pursue other ventures such as my Masters degree and business.

is there anyway an outgoing person can be replaced with someone else?

i would be glad if someone helps me out. Gracias

2 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by olojuede01: 5:23am On May 07, 2015
kaybams1:

Its simple bro. The annual salary differential between the private sector worker and that of the government worker is around 840k (in other words, the private worker earns 840k more than the government worker annually). If the government worker is an industrious investor, he can be saving around 40% of his income (that's around 30k) for a spate of say 5 years. His annual savings will be around 360k.

Since government jobs are flexible and they give you time to pursue other endeavours, he can invest that annual savings of 360k in a viable business that will bring him a monthly 15% Return on Investment (ROI). That's like 648k extra income for the government worker. The wage differential between them has now reduced to 192k.

Now imagine that the government worker reinvests like 70% of that 648k extra income he earned (that's approximately 454k) in the second year in another viable business that will bring him that same 15% ROI monthly. In the second year the government worker will be having an annual 816.48k extra income. If you add this extra income to the government worker's normal annual income, his gross income will be totalling around 1.8million.

This means he's now earning almost a million more than our private employee in just the second year. Now let's imagine if this government worker keeps reinvesting like 60% of that extra income the subsequent years, he will be swimming in millions in just 5 years. But our private worker won't be given the time the government worker has to pursue this entrepreneurial endeavour thereby making his pay stagnant.

Your salary isn't what makes you a wealthy man, its a job that provides you sufficient time and steady income to finance your entrepreneurial dream. You can take this fact to the bank.

Bros your theory is flawed.

Your theory is based on the assumption that a person in the private sector will not invest. As someone in the private sector, after working for less than 3 years i invest like 80k monthly.

Remember bro investing is not about buying and selling.. .. ..

2 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by kaybams1(m): 7:52am On May 07, 2015
olojuede01:

Bros your theory is flawed.

Your theory is based on the assumption that a person in the private sector will not invest. As someone in the private sector, after working for less than 3 years i invest like 80k monthly.

Remember bro investing is not about buying and selling.. .. ..

My analysis is based on the assumption that the Private sector worker has LESS TIME to invest than the public sector worker. Investment and Savings are two different things bro. To invest in a business that is at its budding stage, you need to devout a substantial amount of time to it. Even the supervision of the business also needs time. Besides, my emphasis was on Real Investment which is investment in physical/tangible reproductive capital goods NOT financial assets (stocks/bonds).

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Yesinde(f): 4:33pm On May 07, 2015
Ben1975:
I know plenty of people who work for the government and have gone 15+ months without a page check. That's not job security that's volunteer charity work.

which ever one that comes first will actually be fine by somebody that has being jabless for a while though...

2 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nobody: 12:04am On May 09, 2015
odimbannamdi:
honestly speaking, life can really be ironical sometimes.

Here i am praying to GOD everyday for a govt job at the federal or state level, and some people who has one wants to port out because of low pay.

i sooo much desire a govt job because of the time it will afford me to pursue other ventures such as my Masters degree and business.

is there anyway an outgoing person can be replaced with someone else?

i would be glad if someone helps me out. Gracias

i hope you get your heart desires. My aunt got her masters and phd while doing govt work. Govt work doesn't cause people to be lazy. Rather it encourages you to explore other avenues.

3 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by odimbannamdi(m): 1:52pm On May 09, 2015
Moberry:

i hope you get your heart desires. My aunt got her masters and phd while doing govt work. Govt work doesn't cause people to be lazy. Rather it encourages you to explore other avenues.

AMEN! God bless you for your kind words
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by brytandre(m): 10:14am On May 10, 2015
Nosyke:

Hey Tigress,

Take it easy. You don't know me from jack so you don't know about my dispositions to 'government jobs'. Government job doesn't thrill everyone and i am one of such. (and this isn't for lack of opportunity/access to government jobs). Which kind of job will force one to 'form poverty' just not to attract attention. Sunday flexing, really? So Monday to Friday is for suffer-head?...No, i'll pass life is too short abeg.

Maybe u don't know with Government Jobs u av access to long term loans (car, housing or credit) and many other benefits like going abroad for further training, annual leave, study leave (with or without pay).......you dont (or rarely) get this from the private sector. I'm a government worker and I can tell you first hand that as a young guy, my career is developing more rapidly as I have time for my ICAN and Masters programme.......also my mum has a frozen food business, and I'm part of it now. It's simple: "THERE IS MORE TO WORKING FOR FEDERAL GOVT THAT MEETS THE EYE".......if u are not in there, you can never guess correctly wats going on in there. PEACE

3 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by samilo88(m): 9:51pm On May 10, 2015
Besides parastatals, uniform agencies and income generating ministries, civil service job is crap especially state civil service. You get job security but u can never get salary security. During elections, their salaries are used for campaigns something that would never happen in a professional private sector.
If you are a young, vibrant and ambitious graduate, state civil service should be a no go area unless u have no other choice.
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by bukatyne(f): 1:49pm On May 13, 2015
I will pick standard private (or nationals) and multinationals any day

No to one man business ( I am guessing that is most of the private firms people refer to). The rate of 'insecurity' in the private world is not as bad as painted especially for nationals and multinationals.

No to civil service jobs either (except public appointments and some elect juicy parastatals).

The average civil service job is not for a young vibrant person who wants to build a career. The office politics is also crazy and there is crab mentality there.

However, if a person is more business oriented and wants a white collar job for a while, Civil service is for you. It would also help for people who want to further their education. People also sometimes build great networks with top politicians.

2 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by hugochuks60(m): 5:20pm On Jun 22, 2017
both jobs r good, if u r career driven n want to be a professional in ur field, then d multinationals is a good place for u. I had a friend who rejected a government job in one of the ministries in lag for a job in a oil servicing firm. today he is now n experienced engineer, he has worked for just 5yrs6months n he has built his house in d village n he has one Siena n a small one door car. his company do send him on trainings abroad n he used one of these opportunities to complete his masters. he has a shop that his wife manages for him n he is doing great. the f.g job is good too, but it comes with slow salary growth, career stagnation, lack of motivation, some don't even give satisfaction, n it doesn't expose one to d real world this is wat makes civil servants lazy although not all. however I will advise, if u r a fresh graduate especially n engineer, if u must work for govt, pls go for nnpc, pppra, nnlg ncc nimasa n d likes else go for d multinationals, get ur experience, build ur career n then u can now apply for d ministry job later. u will see that u will make extraordinary impact wen u get in n ur experience will bring u wealth n business ideas wen u retire, u may even become a consultant to that ministry. most civil servants r afraid of retirement, most av enough time but can't set up a business because they lack d basic ideas on how to do it.
Nigeria needs creativity not job security. private sector workers r smarter n good risk takers than civil servants this is because challenges brings out d best in you. let's use creativity to better our country.

my thoughts!!!

2 Likes

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Nobody: 1:10pm On Oct 05, 2019
ice234:
What an ideal scenario,

And you think that the only job u can do in this age is the job that needs more than 3hrs of your time daily? Don't get it wrong, most private workers are into real estate investment,capital market and money market investment, which does not require that much time. You need to question elumelu because he started there. Most individuals working in private sectors are smart, industrious and they excel very well in the real world. There are some people that have night jobs. It is how you make use of your time that matters, wealth creation is not determined by your free time. Your permutation should be applied to someone working in private sector too.

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Hassanmaye(m): 9:34am On Apr 06, 2021
Setaje:
My dad said he prays everyday that none of his children will work in a government establishment. If u are honest and hard working. Don't work for the Nigerian government. We had a bitter experience. Honest and good people don't go far.
But what of top government workers please,even my dad is discouraging from working in public sector I don't know why
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Hassanmaye(m): 7:05pm On Feb 21, 2022
lumzybo:
OP, God bless u 4 this post. Presently, I am considering a switch from public to private. Though I am a little scared abt my move cos it's more like leaving certainty 4 uncertainty. "This is a very huge risk". When u consider the juicy salary u get from the private sector, hmmmmmn..., u gonna be tempted to quit.

Every man loves to fly when ur mates in the private sector are flying. PLS not that u are stationary with govt work,buh when u mates are flying, u are jogging.

The answer here is 4 pple in the public sector to get a good business plan n give it a trial cos u av what pple in the private sector don't av and wish they have "TIME".

Its a risk worth taking. With God on ur side, u can make it.
You wrote this six years back are you still on the same position
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by lumzybo: 7:39pm On Feb 21, 2022
Hassanmaye:

You wrote this six years back are you still on the same position

Smiles.... we ain’t there yet but I am not where I was when I wrote this. We bless God

1 Like

Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Hassanmaye(m): 7:42pm On Feb 21, 2022
lumzybo:

Smiles.... we ain’t there yet but I am not where I was when I wrote this. We bless God
My dad is a lecturer in Nigeria he has been advicing me against government jobs
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by lumzybo: 7:47pm On Feb 21, 2022
Hassanmaye:

My dad is a lecturer in Nigeria he has been advicing me against government jobs
I hope he has other alternative(s) for you ?
Re: Pros And Cons Of Government Jobs by Hassanmaye(m): 8:17pm On Feb 21, 2022
lumzybo:

I hope he has other alternative(s) for you ?
I'm currently working in the private sector

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Number Of Persons That Lost Their Jobs In Nigeria:The Second Quarter Of 2015 / How Journalists Around The World Risk Their Lives. / Top Lies Nigerian Job Seekers Tell In Interviews

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.