Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,062 members, 7,953,228 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:42 PM

History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes (11276 Views)

Boy Who Slept With A Girl He Met For The First Time Now Finds It Hard To Urinate / One Good Achievement As A Nigerian Don Discovers Cure For Diabetes / History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Pennywise(m): 2:47pm On Feb 04, 2009
oyb:

enter the bad belle people who think nothing good can come from nigeria angry angry angry
You dont want someone to treat you for diabetes then give you testicular cancer do you?
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by palmwine(m): 2:49pm On Feb 04, 2009
Good news. I hope his deal with the foreign coy was iron clad.

a smart lawyer should go through the deal with him.

All the best!
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by otokx(m): 3:01pm On Feb 04, 2009
Am very happy for Nigeria
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by spikedcylinder: 3:34pm On Feb 04, 2009
Pennywise:

If it is true this drug acts by regenerating lost cells then it should be treated with a lot of suspicion because it may also regenerate other cells unconnected with diabetes making it a carcinogen or teratogen.

There have been drugs like that in the past.If that is the case it had better not make it through clinical trials or the country Nigeria will only sink further deeper in global reckoning no thanks to Dr Obio Obio.

oyb:

enter the bad belle people who think nothing good can come from nigeria angry angry angry

Oh well, thats just on second thoughts isn't it?
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by penfold(m): 4:20pm On Feb 04, 2009
@pennywise
Wrong!!! If its a carcinogen or teratogen, u can be sure the patent wouldn't fly in the US, every drug patented and marketed by licensed pharmaceutical companies gets certified by CDC (the clinical trials you were referring to) , and you can be sure they will treat anything coming out of Nigeria with extra care and diligence. I dont have the details of the "wonder drug" but then any pharmacist/medical scientist/researcher worth his salt would first check for the carcinogenic properties of any cell regenerating compound!!!!
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by agaba123(m): 4:20pm On Feb 04, 2009
Pennywise:

If it is true this drug acts by regenerating lost cells then it should be treated with a lot of suspicion because it may also regenerate other cells unconnected with diabetes making it a carcinogen or teratogen.

There have been drugs like that in the past.If that is the case it had better not make it through clinical trials or the country Nigeria will only sink further deeper in global reckoning no thanks to Dr Obio Obio.

Before a candidate molecule tagged new molecular entity(NME) is submitted for clinical trial, it must have satisfied certain criteria one of which is selectivity. Because the cell from different organs of the body differ significantly, it is posible for a certain NME  to bind selectively to this cells. besides for a drug to act, it has to bind to a receptor . . .bla bla

Anyway you do not need to fear, clinical trials will help to an extent to detect any untoward effect. Survelliance continues after market intoduction.

At least accept it for once, naija is moving ahead
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Pennywise(m): 4:37pm On Feb 04, 2009
penfold:

@pennywise
Wrong!!! If its a carcinogen or teratogen, u can be sure the patent wouldn't fly in the US, every drug patented and marketed by licensed pharmaceutical companies gets certified by CDC (the clinical trials you were referring to) , and you can be sure they will treat anything coming out of Nigeria with extra care and diligence. I dont have the details of the "wonder drug" but then any pharmacist/medical scientist/researcher worth his salt would first check for the carcinogenic properties of any cell regenerating compound!!!!
My opinionated friend from Zion, if the CDC gets it wrong on this occasion will it be the first time in the history of that body. Have certification and drugs not been withdrawn more than a dozen times in the past. Are you not aware that there are CDC licensed drugs in the market with strict warning about teratogenic properties? Think about this and you will probably come away with the possibility that even someone from zion can be wrong and misleading.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Pennywise(m): 4:51pm On Feb 04, 2009
agaba123:

Before a candidate molecule tagged new molecular entity(NME) is submitted for clinical trial, it must have satisfied certain criteria one of which is selectivity. Because the cell from different organs of the body differ significantly, it is posible for a certain NME  to bind selectively to this cells. besides for a drug to act, it has to bind to a receptor . . .bla bla

Anyway you do not need to fear, clinical trials will help to an extent to detect any untoward effect. Survelliance continues after market intoduction.

At least accept it for once, naija is moving ahead

We have to accept that there is some degree of selectivity otherwise the drug is a useless and a dangerous poison.

Perhaps it is too early and a waste of time to comment on a mystery drug. In time we will get to know more. Healthy criticisms of this type only helps to bring out the best from researchers.We cannot hope in a hundred years to reach the level of critical appraisal obtainable in the US-some of which are meant to create doubt, others to damage outright and reduce to nullity painstaking work that has taken a lot of time, money and effort. But they are by far better for it.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by penfold(m): 5:12pm On Feb 04, 2009
@Pennywise
LOL,  (try not to get personal when debating in a public forum, its unscientific, unprofessional and unethical)

While not denying that certification has been withdrawn for countless drugs in the past and that there are warnings (which must always be conspicuosly displayed on the drug labels) for thousands of drugs, one must not also overlook the fact that quality control procedures for drugs being mass produced are rather difficult to monitor and that accounts for 97% of the cases where drugs have had to be withdrawn from the market (most times, its even selected batches of the drugs that were withdrawn!!! that is why drugs carry batch numbers), i'm not saying that Dr. Nelson's drug is fail-safe, but the point is that no one can deny the fact that this drug/herbal concoction/agbo has been tested by "fire" and survived, has been throughly examined and found adequate, whatever anybody might say!!!! C'est finis
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by agaba123(m): 5:20pm On Feb 04, 2009
penfold:

@Pennywise
LOL, (try not to get personal when debating in a public forum, its unscientific, unprofessional and unethical)

While not denying that certification has been withdrawn for countless drugs in the past and that there are warnings (which must always be conspicuosly displayed on the drug labels) for thousands of drugs, one must not also overlook the fact that quality control procedures for drugs being mass produced are rather difficult to monitor and that accounts for 97% of the cases where drugs have had to be withdrawn from the market (most times, its even selected batches of the drugs that were withdrawn!!! that is why drugs carry batch numbers), i'm not saying that Dr. Nelson's drug is fail-safe, but the point is that no one can deny the fact that this drug/herbal concoction/agbo has been tested by "fire" and survived, has been throughly examined and found adequate, whatever anybody might say!!!! C'est finis
It has not survived entirely but you can say it is a promising drug candidate. Apart from market surveilance stage, i guess i read they still have one clinical trial step left.

I hope it passes that one also
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by NosaHenry(m): 5:34pm On Feb 04, 2009
Pennywise:

why do people talk these. If you dont see anything good from yourself that is your problem.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by ikeyman00(m): 5:48pm On Feb 04, 2009
big rat pouchers! keep the talkin comin hahha
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Pennywise(m): 5:49pm On Feb 04, 2009
penfold:

@Pennywise
LOL,  (try not to get personal when debating in a public forum, its unscientific, unprofessional and unethical)
Even though some will find the above patronizing and condescending of Penfold, I nevertheless welcome it.If you had said "you may be wrong because the CDC wont certify a teratogeic/carcinogenic drug. . . ." you would have saved both of us a lot of time rather than "Wrong!!! If its a carcinogen or teratogen, u can be sure the patent wouldn't fly in the US, every drug patented and marketed by licensed pharmaceutical companies gets certified by CDC".One is left with no option but assume that you are infallible and in some way truly linked to the supernatural as your location suggests.

Secondly, I havent said pennywise is a scientist neither have I said I am a professional of any kind.The operative ethic I am aware of right now is NL ethic which allows me to shit on your head. Thank you.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Pennywise(m): 6:05pm On Feb 04, 2009
Nosa-Henry:

why do people talk these. If you dont see anything good from yourself that is your problem.
Gerrrout
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Gbosko: 6:35pm On Feb 04, 2009
Pennywise:

Even though some will find the above patronizing and condescending of Penfold, I nevertheless welcome it.If you had said "you may be wrong because the CDC wont certify a teratogeic/carcinogenic drug. . . ." you would have saved both of us a lot of time rather than "Wrong!!! If its a carcinogen or teratogen, u can be sure the patent wouldn't fly in the US, every drug patented and marketed by licensed pharmaceutical companies gets certified by CDC".One is left with no option but assume that you are infallible and in some way truly linked to the supernatural as your location suggests.

Secondly, I havent said pennywise is a scientist neither have I said I am a professional of any kind.The operative ethic I am aware of right now is NL ethic which allows me to shit on your head. Thank you.

You're 100% correct on this. There is nothing wrong with healthy criticism of pharmaceutical discoveries of this kind. Unfortunately critical examination of issues is usually frowned by the ignorant and poorly educated, and you might even be branded as unpatriotic. While we bask in the euphoria of this success by a Nigerian, the Health authorities (permit my language, I'm not a medical practitioner) should demand that continued clinical tests should continue to get a well documented trend of systemic response over long period of drug usage. Imagine the backlash on the image of Nigerian scientists if after 5years, it was found out that people that had been cure of diabetes had started having acute forms of liver failure. I no want wahala O! lipsrsealed
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by blackspade(m): 6:35pm On Feb 04, 2009
This is great news, still, but since I've taken in this news, I can't help but feel a bit uneasy.

Do you know how many BILLIONS of dollars pharmaceutical companies in America make from producing Insulin? Have you also noticed how this has yet to be featured on any major paper in the 'western world'?

I have a theory why- They don't want people to know. Can you imagine the reaction of over 100 million people worldwide when they hear about a scientist in Nigeria finding a cure? They'd give up that insulin in a hot second.

But sadly, there's a possibility those people will never hear about this. You know why? It all goes back to the dollar bills being made from insulin.

If I were the man who found the cure, I'd really be careful about what I do, and what I sign. American corporations are notorious for duping scientists, or paying them to take their work back underground.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Sammy107d(m): 6:59pm On Feb 04, 2009
great post up there. I'll copy and paste somewhere.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by davidif: 1:16am On Feb 05, 2009
sorry to burst your bubble o, but THIS IS JUST A PATENT. People patent things all the time, the FDA (or the CDC like someone earlier stated) has to approve it first to check the efficacy of the drug.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Sammy107d(m): 1:51am On Feb 05, 2009
its not just a patent. it was patented years ago- before it was actually developed.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by boboye75: 11:30am On Feb 05, 2009
Big Kudos for our dear Dr. Nelson Obyo Obyo and congratulations to all Nigerian at large. Getting the patent is one thing and making the drug accessible and affordable is another thing. By now, our Government should look for a way to maximize the man's potential by giving him aid for mass production before we will be enslaved by the Americans who have no idea of how the man made his landmark achievement.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by cecegorz(m): 3:02pm On Feb 05, 2009
While we're celebrating this great feat, the Nigerian press are already giving a conflicting report on this.

Check out Guardian's report: 'Nigerian herb shows promise in diabetes management' , http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/news/article03/indexn2_html?pdate=040209&ptitle=Nigerian%20herb%20shows%20promise%20in%20diabetes%20management

while This day has it thus: 'History, as Nigerian finds Cure for Diabetes', http://www.thisdayonline.com/nview.php?id=134751

I believe the two reporters were sent to cover the events by their respective publishing houses,, listen to the presentations and then report back their observations.

Now, what you see here is utter confusion because 'diabetes management' and 'cure' are definitely not one and the same.

Can somebody give us the TRUTH on this report, please.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Udobass: 4:35pm On Feb 05, 2009
The guy na my senior bros, just as Samuel Peter was my cousin before he was beaten by Vitali Fame dey flow for our vein like blood. Dont be suprised if i come out with drugs for HIV tomorrow
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by chaj(m): 6:19pm On Feb 05, 2009
Congratulations to Nigerians.
Interestingly, the drug is made from extracts of your "common " BITTER LEAF.

I read about it in a herbal book about 5 years ago, and recommended it to a former neighbour- with fantastic results which he attested to i.e reversal of the sugary urine symptom( ants no longer gathered on his urine).

He just blends the leaves, and drinks the seived water.

I don't know about the toxicity aspect sha.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by drlizzy(f): 9:14am On Feb 06, 2009
Na them ears them go use to hear of the good things wey GOD go use us do.GO NAIJA
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by ijawgirl: 1:37pm On Feb 08, 2009
: )
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by Menene(m): 12:38pm On Feb 09, 2009
I don talk am say na front we go pass take meet Oyinbo people. grin

We go jam for centre. grin grin

We have not seen anything yet! The cure for HIV, Kidney failure, Stroke, Cancer is gonna come from us man. Even the cure to "POVERTY"

Relax,  Baba God is strategizing for Nigeria!   cool
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by gmomoh: 5:54pm On Feb 09, 2009
As great as the news of the discovery is, we should thread carefully. Why is it non of the inetrnational new agencies has reported this "cure"?
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by PHARMTOKI(f): 10:47pm On Feb 12, 2009
Why do we always find fault with everything.like it or no a lot of people have already bought into the discovery.dont the insulins, oral hypoglycemics,sulphonylureas and biguanides and other antidiabetic medication all have side effects? What chemically synthesized compound isnt a potential poison?I say double thumbs up and that we need more of these sort of discoveries.For years now our local traditionalists have been harping on the fact that Vernonia amygdalina or bitter leaf is a very good treatment for diabetes and even has some antitumour properties.this is a leaf that is so common to these parts and it took someone from the united states to make us believe these things.You will not believe all the amazing discoveries that have been made within our very own backyard.I should know i myself did a lot of research on some local plants within my alma mata and the results were phenomenal.We should have more faith in ourselves.Yes there are quacks out there but at the same time there are really people who know what theyre doin.So to the cynics, have a little faith
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by richking: 2:54pm On May 09, 2009
oh boi come see the wonders of the herbs wey dey my parle backyard this one pass wetin una dey talk o
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by FowardEast(f): 4:11pm On Aug 07, 2009
Mighty Nigeria.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by naijaking1: 6:31pm On Aug 07, 2009
Pennywise:

That's very scientific. I applaud your reasoning.
While we congratulate Dr. Nelson for his wonderful work, let's just follow scientifically accepted methods of testing new drugs for clinical trial.

The FDA has 3 phases of clinical trial before any biochemical agent is approved for therapy. I don't even know that this new drug has entered phase 1 trial yet.

Any therapeutic agent has a potential for side effect, even ordinary water can cause very undesirable side effect. For any new drug to be used, the benefits must outweigh the damages from the side effects. So, I agree with the person asking about the potential side effects.
Re: History, As Nigerian Finds Cure For Diabetes by steveab(m): 12:25pm On Oct 17, 2011
Where can one find this drug, and what is it's brand name

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

WHO Warns That Ebola May Be Transmitted Sexually / What Could Be The Cause Of My Erectile Dysfunction? / Eight-Year-Old Girl Tests Positive To Lassa Fever In Gombe

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.