Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,962 members, 7,817,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:33 PM

Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way - Phones (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way (44956 Views)

Infinix Note 3: A Big Phone With Big Promises / Airtel Trybe Night Browsing A Big Scam / Hmmm MTN Do Well Oooooh This Time Is N33600 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by texazzpete(m): 4:02pm On May 04, 2015
Akainzo:

This is great. very good to see that Technology companies are finally delivering what the customers want.

However, everything delivered on this Universal Mode by Win10 has been present on the TWO YEARS OLD BlackBerry Z30!

While laying on my bed, my Z30 connects to my Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse and displays on my LG 32" LED TV, and I use it as my main device. One guy actually uses it in place of his laptop all year round.

Note that while the video showed 2-Screen mode for Phone and Display, the Z30 can SIMULTANEOUSLY (wireless) play a Video on a Smart TV while playing Music on a Bluetooth Speaker and BOTH have their SEPARATE audio filtering through and you can INDEPENDENTLY adjust any of the 2 audio volumes.

The screen scaling though is what the Win10 does that we are still waiting for BlackBerry to implement. The BB10 OS is an awesome platform.

Why are you so eager to air your ignorance in public?

Continuum and the Universal app platform are nothing like what Blackberry was doing.

If it was just to connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to a phone and use it as a glorified PC, you could do it on Android phones years ago. This isn't anything like that.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by martineverest(m): 4:06pm On May 04, 2015
U do d research...if its true,i ll trek and swim from here to america.....windows is too big to run android apps
Fulaman198:

yes it can....you might want to conduct some research
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by AAinEqGuinea: 4:17pm On May 04, 2015
kalakuta100:
i really wish you knew much about Windows 10 before you decided to vomit nonsense windows 10 though incomplete I'd by far the best os....satya nadella the new Microsoft ceo came in with the idea of one wineries and they are already achieving it....Imagine your games downloaded on your Xbox can be played on the pc or tablet without redownloading... All windows devices are sync from hololens,to tablet to pc to phone and even to the Microsoft watch it is one windows for all. So please make sure you are aware of something before you blurt out rubbish.......for more windows info visit wpcentral.com

No bro, I'm fully aware of this failed, tryhard product your attempting to salvage called Windows 10. I'm not a big gamer, and even if I was, I wouldn't get an Xbox. They released a completely different Windows OS to merely fix the start menu and App window, didn't do much to kill internet explorer, but good they ran from that like many of their sinking ship products. And speaking of Xbox, now with Windows 10 they decided everyone should have Cortona as their search agent, brilliant idea that everything must revolve around Halo.

The game and the tablet is saving Microsoft, and thats a shame. Even their modern phone is the worst and this is coming from the same company that chartered the smart phone with the PDA genre. But no, it took being destroyed by iPhone and they've never recovered since.

By the luck of the heavens, Microsoft's tablet is finally selling well, another niche they had the lead on but lost it to Apple. You probably remember the tablets which were laptops with self imposing screens that you write on. They let Apple up-stage them there as well.

Microsoft is lucky both Google or Apple aren't into home gaming consoles or you can kiss that Xbox goodbye, Sony's already destroying the Xbox single-handedly. Microsoft has the luxury of having many hardware vendors in which they can sell Windows on, Apple makes it own hardware, only allows their OS on their hardware and continues to overtake significant portions of Microsoft's shares in home computing. One computer vender called Apple overtaking thousands of Microsoft's, more ppl should be fired.

Windows 10 is nothing more than a skittish attempt to stay relevant with dull and irrelevant new use cases.

1 Like

Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by onatisi(m): 4:21pm On May 04, 2015
Oxasbi:
If it goes well I will get myself a Lumia fone.
bros ,get a lumia today and believe me you will dash out ur android within 48hrs , lumia is the best phone for now . I don't think I will be buying another brand of phone for a long time , I am using a lumia 635 and I am thinking of buying another one maybe lumia 1320
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by ewizard1: 4:23pm On May 04, 2015
I would think of buying a Windows Phone if it could morph into a Desktop PC mode an allow me run apps like Coreldraw, Photoshop, and my other Graphics/Designing Programmes.

#Its not going to replace my Android tho...
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by martineverest(m): 4:39pm On May 04, 2015
U got it...most people dont really know the mystery bhind windows 10.....the OS is giving google and apple headache.the unifucation of windows os is a computer wonder ppl have been looking for....windows 10 is the OS ppl have been looking for...watch out
kalakuta100:
i really wish you knew much about Windows 10 before you decided to vomit nonsense windows 10 though incomplete I'd by far the best os....satya nadella the new Microsoft ceo came in with the idea of one wineries and they are already achieving it....Imagine your games downloaded on your Xbox can be played on the pc or tablet without redownloading... All windows devices are sync from hololens,to tablet to pc to phone and even to the Microsoft watch it is one windows for all. So please make sure you are aware of something before you blurt out rubbish.......for more windows info visit wpcentral.com
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by martineverest(m): 4:42pm On May 04, 2015
It seems u arent current.....all windows 10 devices with 4inch to 8inch screen ll be known as windows mobile(no longer windows phone).
AgentOfAllah:

Dude, you don't even have the slightest idea what you're talking about mate. First of all, Windows mobile =/= Windows phone. Windows mobile, the generation of OS that serviced your Omnia is dead. It has been dead since 2010! Before iPhone was launched in 2007, windows mobile was NOT "the next big thing" as you put it, it was actually THE poster definition of smartphones. IPhone killed windows mobile. To compete, MS shut down windows mobile and built a completely new mobiles OS from scratch, windows phone. This, I believe is still what MS is promoting, not windows mobile.

Actually, the revenue from the sales of winpho devices by MS has been waxing stronger. MS made $1.4 billion in just the sales of Lumia phones during last the quarter of its FY15 results. Windows phone penetration is growing. Slowly, no doubt, but it is neither stagnant nor receding, so proclaim your prophecies of doom when its sales actually stagnate so as not to come across as a half-baked techie.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Gec2zy(m): 4:54pm On May 04, 2015
emmynsikak:
soooooooooooooooo

[size=40pt] MODIFIED [/size] SO FINALLY DIS CRAP HIT FRONT PAGE undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided Anyway still gud I was FTC cheesy grincheesy

how can I make front page bro
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Gec2zy(m): 4:55pm On May 04, 2015
emmynsikak:
soooooooooooooooo

[size=40pt] MODIFIED [/size] SO FINALLY DIS CRAP HIT FRONT PAGE undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided Anyway still gud I was FTC cheesy grincheesy

how can I make front page bro
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by joromi: 4:58pm On May 04, 2015
Bollinger:
Darn it. I was gonna upgrade to Samsung galaxy 4 in the summer, looks like i might give this phone a try. Looks awesome and the concept is a blast.

It's still an OS...

There's no flagship device yet..
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by slinkman(m): 5:00pm On May 04, 2015
martineverest:
U do d research...if its true,i ll trek and swim from here to america.....windows is too big to run android apps
windows is too big to use run android apps?? haha... Android doesnt even consider windows a threat.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Akainzo(m): 5:19pm On May 04, 2015
texazzpete:

Why are you so eager to air your ignorance in public?

Continuum and the Universal app platform are nothing like what Blackberry was doing.

If it was just to connect a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to a phone and use it as a glorified PC, you could do it on Android phones years ago. This isn't anything like that.

If you watched the video, you'd know what Win10 was doing is exactly the same, the only difference was "SCALING" the display to the bigger screen.
The universal app concept is a different technology and was not mentioned in my post.

If you do not know what the technology is all about, please go and read more to enlighten yourself.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Akainzo(m): 5:25pm On May 04, 2015
kalakuta100:
if you really know anything about Windows 10 you won't compare... Agreed bb10 is a great os but it still has a long way to go before you can match it up with Windows 10

A BB10 that has been in the wild since 2012 is what has a long way to go to what is still being "promised"? Note the only available Win10 devices are PCs, so where are you seeing your capabilities?

Microsoft is pushing the Universal App concept (and providing tools for converting iOS and Android apps to Win10) for the sole purpose of closing the APP GAP which is the bane of any 3rd Phone OS ecosystem.

Only thing Win10 will do that BB10 doesn't already do, is run iOS apps. BTW once Universal App becomes a widely accepted stuff (What BlackBerry has been referring to as "App Neutrality", the consumers will only judge the OS and that is when many people will truly give the BB10 a chance and see its power.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Nobody: 5:26pm On May 04, 2015
copied from ubuntu phone

1 Like

Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Akainzo(m): 5:30pm On May 04, 2015
kalakuta100:
if you really know anything about Windows 10 you won't compare... Agreed bb10 is a great os but it still has a long way to go before you can match it up with Windows 10

What do you know about BB10?
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Nobody: 5:43pm On May 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

Unless if Android becomes a full-fledged Desktop OS, how? I don't see how that's possible unless if you plug in an Android device to a monitor it becomes a full-fledged Debian Based Linux or something. I don't see that happening. Android is meant for mobile OS. Microsoft really was innovative this time and they deserve credit.

Really? Do a Google before concluding
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by AgentOfAllah: 5:44pm On May 04, 2015
martineverest:
It seems u arent current.....all windows 10 devices with 4inch to 8inch screen ll be known as windows mobile(no longer windows phone).

Correction, all windows 10 devices shall be called Windows 10 devices. The operating system that runs on the Sub 8' devices shall however be called Windows 10 for Mobile Devices (to differentiate from the defunct Windows mobile). But until windows 10 for mobile is released, we shall continue to know all the variants of the mobile operating software currently being supported by MS as Windows Phone X.Y.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Nobody: 5:49pm On May 04, 2015
onatisi:
bros ,get a lumia today and believe me you will dash out ur android within 48hrs , lumia is the best phone for now . I don't think I will be buying another brand of phone for a long time , I am using a lumia 635 and I am thinking of buying another one maybe lumia 1320

This is a joke, right? Permit me to ask if you've ever used ios. It's not only abt OS. Hardware matters too. I use a oneplus one and I dropped 1520 for it.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by martineverest(m): 5:50pm On May 04, 2015
And windows doesnt consider android a threat.......incase u dont know,windows is d most used OS in d world..android and apple tablets are fading away due to windows table resurgence,esp microsoft tablet,surface pro 3..the world is waiting for microsoft to release a true computer phone(pocket pc),once dat is done,ppl ll jump into windows bandwagon
slinkman:
windows is too big to use run android apps?? haha... Android doesnt even consider windows a threat.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Dudeonyx: 5:58pm On May 04, 2015
Anybody who has used windows 8.1 pro on a tablet, would instantly recognize just how much better it is than android, I have a teclast x98 air 3G tablet, and it is the first official dual os tablet released, meaning it runs both Windows 8.1 pro (not RT) and android (4.4.4 & 5.1) with an option to chose OS at boot,

Let me tell you the difference is clear, on android my battery lasts for 5-6 hours of heavy usage but on windows it lasts 7-9 hours,
not only that the things I can do with windows are so much more, I can easily connect a printer even old models and use all its features even scanning, Use microsoft office 2013, I can even play large directx games like resident evil 6(15 gb) and pes 2015 (9 gb), and the browser handles html 5 and javascript perfectly, even the boot time is quicker on windows, then there is multi tasking and use of multiple windows.

I could go on and on but I'll stop here.

3 Likes

Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Collinz2(m): 7:38pm On May 04, 2015
Too much noise. We should wait and see wht windows 10 gat when its been release.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Fulaman198(m): 7:51pm On May 04, 2015
newfound2012:

Are asking because you know and you want others to know or you are you asking because You don't know?

Read the sentence again and see the manner the question is asked
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Fulaman198(m): 7:52pm On May 04, 2015
gbl01:

Really? Do a Google before concluding

Android OS unless rooted can not transform into a full-fledged Linux based OS.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Fulaman198(m): 7:52pm On May 04, 2015
martineverest:

I did the research, you didn't
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Fulaman198(m): 7:58pm On May 04, 2015
Akainzo:

This is great. very good to see that Technology companies are finally delivering what the customers want.

However, everything delivered on this Universal Mode by Win10 has been present on the TWO YEARS OLD BlackBerry Z30!

While laying on my bed, my Z30 connects to my Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse and displays on my LG 32" LED TV, and I use it as my main device. One guy actually uses it in place of his laptop all year round.

Note that while the video showed 2-Screen mode for Phone and Display, the Z30 can SIMULTANEOUSLY (wireless) play a Video on a Smart TV while playing Music on a Bluetooth Speaker and BOTH have their SEPARATE audio filtering through and you can INDEPENDENTLY adjust any of the 2 audio volumes.

The screen scaling though is what the Win10 does that we are still waiting for BlackBerry to implement. The BB10 OS is an awesome platform

It's not the same thing. What you are describing can be done on Android as well. Windows 10 is a full OS both desktop and mobile. Meaning that plugging your phone into a monitor gives you full Windows 10 capabilities that you would experience on a desktop. You can't do everything on a Mobile OS that you can do on a desktop OS.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Nobody: 8:00pm On May 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

Unless if Android becomes a full-fledged Desktop OS, how? I don't see how that's possible unless if you plug in an Android device to a monitor it becomes a full-fledged Debian Based Linux or something. I don't see that happening. Android is meant for mobile OS. Microsoft really was innovative this time and they deserve credit.
Don't confuse urself bro
What has Android os got to do with Pc?
They're not thinking towards that direction cos we're in a world of smartphones...
They (google) have they have their own strategies too and they working hard to improve on the mobile os
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

Android OS unless rooted can not transform into a full-fledged Linux based OS.

I never said it does. No need dragging issues with u. Believe what u do, you apparently have lil knowledge on how stuffs work. You would have modified android to suit ur need rather than this unnecessary conversation
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Nobody: 8:13pm On May 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

You do realize that windows 10 can run Android and iOS apps now right?
Its not even a full fledged android emulator.......
Btw! It cannot...
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Nobody: 8:15pm On May 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

You do realize that windows 10 can run Android and iOS apps now right?
Its not even a full fledged android emulator.......
Btw! It cannot even run generic.kl...
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by martineverest(m): 8:40pm On May 04, 2015
Haha..u must be a poor researcher
Fulaman198:

I did the research, you didn't
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by kalakuta100: 8:45pm On May 04, 2015
AAinEqGuinea:

No bro, I'm fully aware of this failed, tryhard product your attempting to salvage called Windows 10. I'm not a big gamer, and even if I was, I wouldn't get an Xbox. They released a completely different Windows OS to merely fix the start menu and App window, didn't do much to kill internet explorer, but good they ran from that like many of their sinking ship products. And speaking of Xbox, now with Windows 10 they decided everyone should have Cortona as their search agent, brilliant idea that everything must revolve around Halo.

The game and the tablet is saving Microsoft, and thats a shame. Even their modern phone is the worst and this is coming from the same company that chartered the smart phone with the PDA genre. But no, it took being destroyed by iPhone and they've never recovered since.

By the luck of the heavens, Microsoft's tablet is finally selling well, another niche they had the lead on but lost it to Apple. You probably remember the tablets which were laptops with self imposing screens that you write on. They let Apple up-stage them there as well.

Microsoft is lucky both Google or Apple aren't into home gaming consoles or you can kiss that Xbox goodbye, Sony's already destroying the Xbox single-handedly. Microsoft has the luxury of having many hardware vendors in which they can sell Windows on, Apple makes it own hardware, only allows their OS on their hardware and continues to overtake significant portions of Microsoft's shares in home computing. One computer vender called Apple overtaking thousands of Microsoft's, more ppl should be fired.

Windows 10 is nothing more than a skittish attempt to stay relevant with dull and irrelevant new use cases.
am not sure you know what you are talking about cause if you do you will know that Windows 10 is still work in progress and is still in technical preview available to only Windows insider... They are still yet to even reach the final build... Research well abeg.
Re: Microsoft has done it again, this time in a big way by Akainzo(m): 9:01pm On May 04, 2015
Fulaman198:

It's not the same thing. What you are describing can be done on Android as well. Windows 10 is a full OS both desktop and mobile. Meaning that plugging your phone into a monitor gives you full Windows 10 capabilities that you would experience on a desktop. You can't do everything on a Mobile OS that you can do on a desktop OS.

Let's clarify, plugging another device to a Win10 d phone CANNOT and will not give you "FULL DESKTOP" capabilities as plugging devices does not add functionalities not already built in.

What you however can have is a "DESKTOP EXPERIENCE" which invariably means 1. Scaling to larger screens; and Being able to use Multiple App Windows on the larger screen.

No one and not even Microsoft will bundle a full Desktop OS onto a phone as the requirements would render such a device humongous and laggy as hell on phone specifications.

BTW, do try and setup a Samsung S5 to do what I described and then you'd know that Android ain't capable of achieving such simultaneous audio streams.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Top 10 Hottest Chinese Smartphone Brands / Be Careful Of Your Phones And Phone Addiction, See Why / Would Elon Musk Keep Parag Agrawal As Twitter CEO After This Tweet?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.