Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,170 members, 7,815,079 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:56 AM

Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born (1254 Views)

Using Dusting Powder As An Alternative To Circumcision Of Female Infants / Who Should Take Care Of The Mother And The Newly Born Baby / Newly Born Baby In West Zone Maharashtra Looks As Old Man (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by Goovo(m): 9:56pm On Apr 30, 2015
Dear Family

Have been wondering about this, most homes in nigeria, during celebration of a new born into the family, the women goes around spraying powder, rubbing it on their neck, some would even 'baff' with it.lolz

My question is, what is the essence of this? Does the powder has any connotation or meaning?

Just wondering
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by elantraceey(f): 10:06pm On Apr 30, 2015
Nice question, i'll love to know too.
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by corisande: 10:09pm On Apr 30, 2015
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by TR0UBLeMaKeR(f): 10:16pm On Apr 30, 2015
If you are caught doing this over here you will get arrested for insanity.
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by Nobody: 10:28pm On Apr 30, 2015
maybe to make the babies smell good ?
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by taryour(f): 10:43pm On Apr 30, 2015
Goovo:
Dear Family

Have been wondering about this, most homes in nigeria, during celebration of a new born into the family, the women goes around spraying powder, rubbing it on their neck, some would even 'baff' with it.lolz

My question is, what is the essence of this? Does the powder has any connotation or meaning?

Just wondering

MOST HOMES Guess you have been to 90 percent of homes in Nigeria and also been around 90 percent of all babies in Nigeria to arrive at this conclusion.

Well I have never seen it before and nobody did this when I had my kids and family and loved ones dint do it either. Or may there is a particular tribe that does that and NOT most homes as you think.

2 Likes

Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by Nobody: 11:45pm On Apr 30, 2015
Guess it's a way of expressing their joy. It signifies celebration of a good thing. Most persons don't really do it again these days especially in the urban centres but still very prevalence in the rural areas.

Please check my signature too. Thanks.
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by Ewuro4: 2:52am On May 01, 2015
TR0UBLeMaKeR:
If you are caught doing this over here you will get arrested for insanity.

grin grin

OP, It's cultural I guess.
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by soopamom: 6:45am On May 01, 2015
please keep the powder away from the baby, it can cause respiratory issues for the baby
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by Nobody: 12:09pm On May 01, 2015
Its common to the south-east and south-south. I guess its a way of welcoming the new born......just like the way yoruba peeps share biscuits.
Re: Esence Of Spraying Powder During Clebration Of Newly Born by soonest(f): 7:33pm On May 01, 2015
It's our culture. Once you give birth, you make powder available in the sitting room for your visitors. Your mum and MIL will be sharing theirs wherever they are. It's just our way of celebrating. Thank you

(1) (Reply)

A True Life Story MUST READ Especially The Ladies / New Maid Made Her Son To Speak Pidgin English Under 1month / Mercy Killing :yes Or No

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.