Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,894 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:46 PM

Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this (752 Views)

Nairalanders Programmers Please I Need Your Help / Php Programmers, Please Help!!! / Programmers. Please Explain To Me The Concepts Of API. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this by huhmuhyehmi(m): 10:32am On May 02, 2015
I hail thee at all gurus here. please I av this crazy questions giving me headache, kind help me out ..

here goes the questions

QUESTION

1: Suppose that a context switch takes 10 milliseconds and that the quantum is set to 10 milliseconds. Why is this not an efficient value for the quantum? What would be better?

2: In the round robin scheme, what is the effect of using a very large quantum?

3: Suppose that the quantum is 1 millisecond and the time to context switch is 10 milliseconds. What is the effect?

QUESTION 4

Comparing the round robin scheduling algorithm and the FIFO algorithm, under what circumstances are these more or less equivalent?

Pls help undecided cos google is not helping on thus
Re: Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this by evaboy4real: 12:07pm On May 02, 2015
For you #1 question;
you know 1000ms is equal to 1 second, now having 10ms is very very very too small to have another/any instance to be noticed when it get called.
By the way, am coming from programming angle. if this is not programming related then Bleep it.
Re: Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this by huhmuhyehmi(m): 1:08pm On May 02, 2015
evaboy4real:
For you #1 question;
you know 1000ms is equal to 1 second, now having 10ms is very very very too small to have another/any instance to be noticed when it get called.
By the way, am coming from programming angle. if this is not programming related then Bleep it.
Yes bos, your contribution is fuckin welcome wink as is a programming related ish under the topic scheduling policy..

Thanks, for now I can only hope you help me more on this undecided lipsrsealed
Re: Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this by Dujardin(m): 11:28pm On May 14, 2015
huhmuhyehmi:
I hail thee at all gurus here. please I av this crazy questions giving me headache, kind help me out ..

here goes the questions

QUESTION

1: Suppose that a context switch takes 10 milliseconds and that the quantum is set to 10 milliseconds. Why is this not an efficient value for the quantum? What would be better?

2: In the round robin scheme, what is the effect of using a very large quantum?

3: Suppose that the quantum is 1 millisecond and the time to context switch is 10 milliseconds. What is the effect?

QUESTION 4

Comparing the round robin scheduling algorithm and the FIFO algorithm, under what circumstances are these more or less equivalent?

Pls help undecided cos google is not helping on thus

This may come too late
My opinion
1. if the context switch and quantum are of the same time value, then it will take unnecessarily more time to finish a Round Robin scheduling because the quantum will be extra small for each processor to complete a task before moving to the next processor. In a nut shell, it is more acceptable to make d quantum higher than the context switch

2 Using a very large quantum can make the scheduling become a First Job First scheduling because, if there are 5 processors to be scheduled and each having 2,4,6,7,10 milisec to finish exec! if u place a quantum of say 40ms on them. then each process wud run to completion and round rubin is not accomplished.
Re: Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this by Dujardin(m): 11:35pm On May 14, 2015
3. quantum=1, context switch =10
u will have jobs finished in parts for a very long period of time. suppose u hav 4 processes wit 7,8,10,11 milisec to process, at the end of first round, job1remain 6ms, job2 7ms, job3 9ms, job4 10ms and u wud have spent 40ms on the four times the context switch occured. In the end, the CPU did 4ms of processing but wasted 44ms on the first round robin. In conclusion, lower quantum results in slow job completion
Re: Programmers please help, I really need to get answers to this by Dujardin(m): 11:37pm On May 14, 2015
they are equivalent if the quantum is extremely large, as said in question 2.

I hope all these are still useful! COMPUTER OPERATING SYSTEM!

(1) (Reply)

Three Things Microsoft Doesn't Have Answers To. / If You Need SMS Or Automated Voice Applications - Reach Me On This Tread / Trump Kicks Fate Of Iran Nuclear Deal To Congress

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.