Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,167 members, 7,953,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 09:03 PM

Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers (6877 Views)

Diamond Bank Set To Sack Managers - Ebubechukwu Ibecheozor / EcoBank Sacks 50 Top Managers / 4 Big Career Lessons Managers Can Learn From Mourinho And Chelsea Slump (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by PM2305: 3:57pm On Sep 08, 2015
pathardy:

Thank you Sir. Pls can u share some pass question with me?

I do not have past questions.

My suggestion is for you to procure the latest Edition of the PMBOK, read it thoroughly and surf online for practice questions.

All the best!

2 Likes

Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by nylawal(m): 12:43am On Mar 01, 2016
Hello everyone, I stumbled on this thread just searching through the net about who's the better project manager amongst the various professionals in the construction industry in Nigeria. I don't want to mention a certain profession that is being arrogated this role by default.

Let me start by giving you a little of my background. I'm an Architect with a masters degree and Msc. I also acquired an Msc in Project Management in construction from the university of Salford, U.K.. I have worked in the design firm for about a year and a half and in the construction field for about four years. All the while I was in construction I wasn't working in my preferred role which is as a PM. It was quite stressful because I was more of a supervisor, although this enabled me to see things that happen on a large construction site more clearly. I worked with a developer who was developing an estate of mixed residential houses of about 400 housing units in Abuja.

I was allocated 2 blocks of terrace apartments and 5 duplexes to supervise. Anyways from the perspective of what I learnt while in the UK, project managers can either join a project from the beginning or during a project when they run into a logjam I.e. Trouble shooting mode. So I was able to learn a lot from trouble shooting the issues on this site.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by nylawal(m): 12:51am On Mar 01, 2016
The brief definition of project management I like to go with is managing a project within a time frame which is on budget and of the highest quality. Pm= time + cost + Quality.

I prefer to use the philosophy of Lean construction (lean was a term used in the manufacturing industry). It essentially looks at the entire value chain in the building process so as to reduce waste and add value at every point which meets the overall objectives of most clients i.e. On time, on budget and of high quality.

I will like to hear from others before I continue...
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Jbelieve: 7:11pm On Mar 27, 2016
Hi everyone this thread is very informative to project managers. Please I need advice on how to progress in my career path as a project manager. I recently obtained my MSc. degree in construction project management for scotland and I have my PRINCE2 foundation certificate. I am presently undergoing my NYSC program which will round up in September.

However I'd like to know how to get a position as an assistant/ junior project manager ie a position that I can learn from the best in the industry as well as progress in my career. I have been researching on this position for months and I have not seen any openings especially in the construction industry. In the UK there is a structured system for recent graduates with no work experience (graduated schemes) in most companies, but in Nigerian very few companies offer such programs and are mostly in the financial sector.
While researching construction companies like Julius berger, the vacancies are hardly advertised, one is only advised to submit CV and cover letter. While some like Hitech construction don't even have career page on the website.

Secondly, I'd like to know what the salary range is for entry level project managers because I honestly have no idea.

Lastly, please if you know good companies in the construction industry with a decent structure of operation kindly suggest it.
My desire is to become a project management consultant in the future please also offer your candid advice on how I can achieve my dream. Thank you.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by engineerjimmy: 12:59pm On Apr 02, 2016
Are you an aspiring or praticing technician/engineer who is looking for fellow technicians/engineers to share knowledge with,share and gain from job and contract opportunities,and also participate in different on going projects,you can message 08170697723 on whatsapp and be part of the engineeringforum group. Cheers
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Jbelieve: 3:46pm On Jun 25, 2016
eromspete:
Good day all.

I'm pleased to discover this thread for Practising project Mgrs, aspiring and experienced PMs.

Firstly, I'd like to plead with everyone not to derail this thread with adverts as there's specific sections to do so.

As an introduction, I'm a young Civil Engineering graduate, PRINCE2 Practitioner certified, currently working as part of a construction project team developing an Airport somewhere very interesting.

I'm actively involved in getting pre-construction document approvals for my work packages (structural and finishes), preparation and review of sub-contractor construction micro-schedules, progress tracking, reporting and issue resolution and escalation where necessary.

I'm not directly involved in the Procurement, Finances and HR aspects of the project but I have an understanding as regards such and how it affects the work package out on site. (Material approvals, Work inspections, Manpower requirements for direct construction, etc.)

As a project Manager, I feel records keeping, learning from issues/situations and, progress monitoring and tracking is key. Not an easy thing to do depending on the people you're dealing with but it does help a great deal. Also do not neglect your stakeholders as they have an impact on your overall success as a PM wink

Let's talk

Hi, please I'd like to know how much junior construction project managers are paid. Thanks
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by eromspete(m): 5:42pm On Jun 25, 2016
How much project experience do you have?

Jbelieve:

Hi, please I'd like to know how much junior construction project managers are paid. Thanks
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Jbelieve: 5:54pm On Jun 26, 2016
eromspete:

None for now, I recently graduated.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Jbelieve: 3:11pm On Jul 24, 2016
eromspete:

Hello, I'm still waiting for your response.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by eromspete(m): 7:44pm On Jul 25, 2016
You're Steadfast..

Honestly, pay varies per companies offering. Also can't tell you for sure what they earn in Nigeria as I'm not local.. my best estimate will be 300k if you get the PM title but project bonuses may/will come along subject to achieving KPIs as agreed by the management.

You might want to start out as an associate, Junior Engineer, and similar junior positions but not as a PM.. it's a steep learning curve and I'm still learning daily even with 3 years on my current position as a Work Package coordinator (note - NOT PACKAGE MANAGER).

Technical knowledge and certification will get you the position as a Junior but you learn the decision, management and leadership skills as you grow in your position.

Jbelieve:

Hello, I'm still waiting for your response.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Jbelieve: 9:34am On Jul 28, 2016
eromspete:
You're Steadfast..

Honestly, pay varies per companies offering. Also can't tell you for sure what they earn in Nigeria as I'm not local.. my best estimate will be 300k if you get the PM title but project bonuses may/will come along subject to achieving KPIs as agreed by the management.

You might want to start out as an associate, Junior Engineer, and similar junior positions but not as a PM.. it's a steep learning curve and I'm still learning daily even with 3 years on my current position as a Work Package coordinator (note - NOT PACKAGE MANAGER).

Technical knowledge and certification will get you the position as a Junior but you learn the decision, management and leadership skills as you grow in your position.

Thank you for your response, I am most grateful. But I'd like to clarify something. You mentioned I shouldn't start my career as a PM, but would a career as a junior/assistant PM be a good place to start?
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by eromspete(m): 7:21pm On Jul 28, 2016
Yeah.. shadow learn from a more senior colleague.. it's easier afterwards...
Jbelieve:

Thank you for your response, I am most grateful. But I'd like to clarify something. You mentioned I shouldn't start my career as a PM, but would a career as a junior/assistant PM be a good place to start?
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Jbelieve: 9:30pm On Jul 28, 2016
eromspete:
Yeah.. shadow learn from a more senior colleague.. it's easier afterwards...

Thank you.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Jbelieve: 11:51pm On Feb 13, 2017
Jbelieve:

Thank you.

I am looking for positions as an assistant or junior construction project manager. Please your sincere opinion is welcome.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by daseento(m): 9:26am On Apr 25, 2017
Good day all, please I'm a fresh graduate of project management from a Nigerian University. I need mentoring on how to develop my career in this field and also your suggestions and advice can go a long way in motivating me.
Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response.
Tosin
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by deedondavi(m): 10:20pm On Jul 06, 2017
daseento:
Good day all, please I'm a fresh graduate of project management from a Nigerian University. I need mentoring on how to develop my career in this field and also your suggestions and advice can go a long way in motivating me.
Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response.
Tosin

Hi, I am a project managemet technology undergraduate in my 3rd year . Is it possible to have a successful career in construction/engineering as a PMT graduate?

Are there any professional certifications?

Plz help me.
Re: Discussion Board For Construction Project Managers by Pmoglobal: 12:15pm On May 21, 2023
My Journey in Project Management: A Path of Growth and Success

I'm delighted to share my experience in the field of project management. Over the years, I've had the privilege of working on diverse projects, and it has been an incredible journey filled with personal growth and professional accomplishments.

Project management has allowed me to hone my organizational and leadership skills, ensuring successful project outcomes. From initiating projects and setting clear objectives to executing tasks efficiently and effectively, every step has been a valuable learning opportunity.

Collaborating with cross-functional teams has been a highlight of my project management career. By fostering a collaborative environment, we've achieved seamless communication, improved productivity, and a sense of camaraderie among team members. Together, we have overcome challenges and celebrated numerous milestones.

Moreover, project management has provided me with the chance to continually improve and evolve. Embracing new technologies, methodologies, and best practices has enhanced my ability to deliver projects with utmost precision and meet stakeholder expectations.

The satisfaction derived from successfully completing a project and witnessing its positive impact on the organization is immeasurable. Seeing a project come to fruition, meeting deadlines, and surpassing client expectations is a testament to the power of effective project management.

In conclusion, my journey in project management has been an enriching experience that has shaped me both personally and professionally. It has given me the opportunity to lead, collaborate, learn, and achieve remarkable results. I encourage everyone who is considering a career in project management to embrace this field with open arms and embark on a path of growth and success.

I would love to hear your experiences and insights in project management. Feel free to share your stories and ask any questions you may have!

Wishing you all continued success in your project management endeavors. Learn more: https://pmoglobalinstitute.org/project-management-office/

(1) (2) (Reply)

Employee Leave Allowance Calculation / Benue Workers Begin Strike / Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.