Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,563 members, 7,820,034 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? (6524 Views)

BBC Celebrates Julius Adewale Adedeji As The "Most Dedicated Police Officer" / Julius Berger Rumored To Have Sacked 400 Workers, Shutdown Work On Lagos-Ibadan / Julius Berger Sacks 120 Staff Today? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by Adebanjids1(m): 6:28am On Aug 22, 2016
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
The man we hard so much about is brand name, we think we know; but never knew him. Who built our bridges and edifices.

Above is picture of Julius Berger himself, the world renowned construction magnate whose

construction company - Julius Berger - built most of our bridges and many Nigerian edifices.

He was born in 1862 in Zempelburg, a small town in Germany. His father sent him to Berlin at the age of 12 to take up an apprenticeship with a leather wholesale firm. He returned to the family transport business three years later in 1878. He soon found himself more frequently transporting building materials instead of grain. It was this transportation of building materials that led to his becoming increasingly familiar with the construction industry.

When he had learned enough, he switched professions and started his own construction company named after him. Julius Berger came into Nigeria in August 1965. The first bridge they constructed in Nigeria was Eko Bridge in Lagos. They also built the 3rd Mainland Bridge and currently they are building the 2nd Niger Bridge Onitsha. He died in 1942.

What interest me most is that Julius himself died before his company arrived Nigeria to take up our construction works. Secondly, the man was never an engineer in the first place?

Now, my questions are:

1. How do we juxtapose that a none engineer can manage and execute a construction job. That means experience count.

2. How do we justify practical hand on experience and theorist of engineering principles which I don't think Mr. Julius has.

3. Can it be said that Mr. Julius is more inclined as an administrator than an engineer. Having managed his firm that has outlived him and have thousands of engineers employed on his pay roll.

4. Finally, my fellow engineers. What others lesson or deductions have you learnt from the man called Julius Berger?

See pictures of some of works here https://adebanjids..com.ng/2016/08/who-is-man-called-julius-berger.html?m=1
Re: Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by youngest85(m): 6:42am On Aug 22, 2016
Buh i thought he is still alive
Re: Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by Adebanjids1(m): 6:44am On Aug 22, 2016
youngest85:
Buh i thought he is still alive

He is no more!
Re: Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by iOluwaMichael(m): 7:14am On Aug 22, 2016
Never knew he wasn't an engineer.
Re: Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 22, 2016
We can lie in Nigeria ooooo shocked
Imagine some people claimed he died while building one small brigde along Ikorodu-Ijebu ode express way and was subsequently buried under the waters there because he sacrificed himself to the water goddess in order to complete the yeye project shocked shocked shocked embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by OgidiOlu3(m): 9:19am On Aug 22, 2016
penisilin:
We can lie in Nigeria ooooo shocked
Imagine some people claimed he died while building one small brigde along Ikorodu-Ijebu ode express way and was subsequently buried under the waters there because he sacrificed himself to the water goddess in order to complete the yeye project shocked shocked shocked embarassed
I even heard it was third mainland bridge grin.

Op, Wikipedia says "In 1950, Julius Berger, the founding father of the company met Keith Thomas and incorporated his construction company in Germany." You said he died in 1942. What do we believe?
Re: Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by abimic(m): 9:08pm On Aug 22, 2016
OgidiOlu3:

I even heard it was third mainland bridge grin.

Op, Wikipedia says "In 1950, Julius Berger, the founding father of the company met Keith Thomas and incorporated his construction company in Germany." You said he died in 1942. What do we believe?
I also heard it's third mainland too.. .. . But even if he wasn't the one or the claim wasn't true, the company did well with their works on the bridge, they're a top professional. I have so much wondered who the berger guy was, but just too busy to use Wikipedia. Over the globe, they're well known just like GE.
Re: Who Is The Man Called Julius Berger? by Adebanjids1(m): 6:01am On Aug 23, 2016
abimic:

I also heard it's third mainland too.. .. . But even if he wasn't the one or the claim wasn't true, the company did well with their works on the bridge, they're a top professional. I have so much wondered who the berger guy was, but just too busy to use Wikipedia. Over the globe, they're well known just like GE.

He died in 1942 please use the Wikipedia

(1) (Reply)

Urban And Regional Planning In Nigeria / Medical Laboratory Scientists(internship) / 3 Things To Consider Before You Change Your Career

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.