Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,751 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:11 AM

Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US - Culture (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US (82376 Views)

Check Out Pictures Of The Igbo Farm Village In Virginia, USA / Igbo Community Built In Virginia USA See Photos. / Photos Of An Igbo Village Built In Virginia, USA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by illiad: 11:42pm On May 03, 2015
Warning!
This Thread Will Kill A Lot Of Yorubas!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 11:44pm On May 03, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

You are only re-echoing what he/she was trying to say. He/she made that comment to refute the assertions by some people that caribbeans do not have Igbo ancestry.

There is nothing wrong with him/her trying to refute Yorubas argument just don't lie in the process of saying we speak igbo,study igbo history and practice igbo culture not that there is anything wrong with if we actually lived up to these claims.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by bigfrancis21: 11:46pm On May 03, 2015
OgagaMic:

u see reason y I dislike gbos,,,

Godforbid, never will Any SS form alliance with u, I was making a point u tribalize it, am jst happy we re nt in ur country, men Our land 4 b, Warri Ojukw, or ughelli obi, una 4 convent all our tins to Igbo

tanks to my forefathers, David EJor. and all those who never let us b enslave in 1967 in d name of Biafra..

Gosh, Igbo pls change. dont think other tribe re nothing y u re d king,

Lol. Why do you take some irrelevant claims by Igbos so seriously? Even when it is clear that the claim is for comedy or satire only? Had a yoruba or efik person said it, you wouldn't have given the post a second thought but moved on. But once it is an Igbo who writes it, then it is a serious problem that calls for serious attention.

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by illiad: 11:47pm On May 03, 2015
tzoracle:

U cn make ur point without spewing obscenities,grow up bruv

I am not your bruv
You're a miserable fellow.

You came here claiming Igbo, may your kind of Igbo blood be exchanged for that of a chicken.

Oaf.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by illiad: 11:50pm On May 03, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Lol. Why do you take some irrelevant claims by Igbos so seriously? Even when it is clear that the claim is for comedy or satire only? Had a yoruba or efik person said it, you wouldn't have given the post a second thought but moved on. But once it is an Igbo who writes it, then it is a serious problem that calls for serious attention.

They are Sobos.
Miserable lot.
Ignore the goat.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 11:52pm On May 03, 2015
OgagaMic:

Godforbid, never will Any SS form alliance with u, I was making a point u tribalize it, am jst happy we re nt in ur country, men Our land 4 b, Warri Ojukw, or ughelli obi, una 4 convent all our tins to Igbo

tanks to my forefathers, David EJor. and all those who never let us b enslave in 1967 in d name of Biafra..

Igbo people own Nigeria.

Your response?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by emmysoftyou: 11:54pm On May 03, 2015
pazienza:

He is an old member with a new moniker. Guess his ethnic group? Tsk tsk tsk....
oh really..cos from her write-up? She doesn't sound like a new member though I thought she might be a guest ? Who just registered today cos her profile displayed it..

Anyway what do u mean by tsk tsk ? Is that an ethnic name or what?
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by illiad: 11:55pm On May 03, 2015
OgagaMic:

Miserable Sobo man.
Cockroach.

Your Urhobo tribe have neither history nor lineage. They're known for nothing but uselessness.

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 11:58pm On May 03, 2015
illiad:

I am not your bruv
You're a miserable fellow.

You came here claiming Igbo, may your kind of Igbo blood be exchanged for that of a chicken.

Oaf.

And I laff
Went through ur profile
Anoda activist
Aint gat ur tym
Time registered march 2015,and to think an adult like u would have common sense
I've been a registered member on nl since I was 16 yrs old so for u to tell me that I can't air my opinion is complete fallacy and topping it off by laying insults on my person is a complete description of the type of person you are
I'm igbo,your igbo we have diff point of views,we can settle our diff views amicably
Ps I feel awkward advising you rather than you being the elder doing the reverse
A word they say is enough for the wise

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 12:00am On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Yea, Santeria is practised in brazil and cuba and the yoruba-derived religions have spread to other regions in latin america, not originally there before. The ifa priests in these yoruba-derived religions take classes to learn to read the divination recitals in proper yoruba to some level of fluency. Asides the recitals in a little bit off-accent yoruba by the native portuguese or spanish speaking ifa priests, there is no evidence anywhere of native latin americans speaking yoruba at home or as second language just as you would have in it Nigeria.

I don't see evidence anywhere of the quilombos speaking a bantu language in brazil. They are an african derived group as has been established. But the survival of their original language till today is what needs to be proved.

There is no evidence that African Americans speak Igbo or Akan languages, but that does not mean that they are not descended mostly from Igbo and Akan people; because we know that they are. Btw, Jamaicans were aware of their African ethnicity long before most African Americans; because it was illegal for African Americans to keep the customs or speak the language of the Igbos and Akan people in America. However, African Americans still kept up with a lot of their Igbo customs by growing stuff like okra, corn and yams, which we call sweet potatoes. Many African Americans in the Southern USA used to live on small family plots near their families and they kept small gardens behind their homes were they grew those crops; hell when I go to visit my family in rural Tennessee right now I notice that all of my family members live in a direct line and they all have small gardens wherein they grow okra, corn and sweet potatoes. I live in the City of Chicago, but my family has been in Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia for a few hundred years.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by chibecanglobal(m): 12:01am On May 04, 2015
PlutoLA:
This just goes to show that Igbo ppl were the most gullible tribe and were most easily tricked into working as slaves in the US
Continue to advertize your ignorance.
Do not make any attempt to better your situation.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by chibecanglobal(m): 12:13am On May 04, 2015
MPEROR:
NSIBIDI IS NOT IGBO LANGUAGE IT belong to EFIK,IBIBIO OGOJA PEOPLE
bros calm down...nsubidi na ideogram and not a language..Google is ur friend
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 12:15am On May 04, 2015
chibecanglobal:
Continue to advertize your ignorance.
Do not make any attempt to better your situation.

Actually, there are probably more Yoruba people that are slaves than Igbo people; because there are a lot more black people in Brazil than there are black people in the USA. There are only about 45-50 million African Americans. There maybe over 100 million African Brazilians, some of them are called black and others are called Pardo. So that means that the Yoruba people were twice as gullible as Igbo people.

http://www.city-data.com/knowledge/Pardo.html

http://en.mercopress.com/2009/04/25/black-population-becomes-the-majority-in-brazil

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Revolva(m): 12:16am On May 04, 2015
grin they said bright of biafra..which means the slaves from calabar igbos idomas igalas even kalabaris ijaws were counted as igbos na as at 17th century na..not meaning every one is igbo

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 12:21am On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

I am an African American and it is pretty common knowledge that most African Americans and people from the Jamaica, Virgin Islands and other English Speaking Islands in the Caribbean are descended mostly from Igbo people and the Akan people of modern day Ghana and the Ivory Coast. DNA testing is now bearing that out. Even with recent immigration into the USA by other African ethnic groups; at least 60% of all African Americans whose ancestors were slaves can still trace their ancestry back to the Igbos. Most Yoruba people, Angolans and people from the Congo taken in the slave trade went to places like Cuba, Haiti, Puerto Rico, Dominican Republic, Venezuela and Brazil; went to other South American and Caribbean Island. We know these things because in most of those places those people still practice their religions and some even still speak the language and keep up with the Culture.

Also the reason some people out of certain African regions were chosen to go to certain regions in the Americas was because of their knowledge of crops. The Europeans had studied Africans and the Europeans knew that in the new World there certain areas that were like the lands in Africa. Some they picked certain Africans to enslave in certain places because of those Africans has knowledge of crops like rice, corn (maize), which is why the Gullah people were imported into States like Georgia and South Carolina.

http://www.driskellcenter.umd.edu/programs/2003-2004/colloq/hall/igbo.pdf
http://www.ibopeople.com/history/igbo-history/origin-of-igbo-of-nigeria
http://www.blogtalkradio.com/igbokwenu/2009/09/19/the-igbo-ancestry-of-black-america-the-carribean
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Igbo_people_in_the_Atlantic_slave_trade
http://abolition.nypl.org/essays/us_slave_trade/5/
http://www.yale.edu/glc/gullah/02.htm

The striking resemblance AA folks bear with Igbos confirms that

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ezeagu(m): 12:24am On May 04, 2015
AkanIgbo:

There is no evidence that African Americans speak Igbo or Akan languages, but that does not mean that they are not descended mostly from Igbo and Akan people; because we know that they are. Btw, Jamaicans were aware of their African ethnicity long before most African Americans; because it was illegal for African Americans to keep the customs or speak the language of the Igbos and Akan people in America. However, African Americans still kept up with a lot of their Igbo customs by growing stuff like okra, corn and yams, which we call sweet potatoes. Many African Americans in the Southern USA used to live on small family plots near their families and they kept small gardens behind their homes were they grew those crops; hell when I go to visit my family in rural Tennessee right now I notice that all of my family members live in a direct line and they all have small gardens wherein they grow okra, corn and sweet potatoes. I live in the City of Chicago, but my family has been in Tennessee, North Carolina and Virginia for a few hundred years.

This is what Douglas Chambers calls 'Igboisms'. Deeply rooted African culture that goes undetected.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by Nobody: 12:25am On May 04, 2015
igbo this... igbo that... igbo is all we see on nairaland this days...
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by illiad: 12:29am On May 04, 2015
tzoracle:

And I laff
Went through ur profile
Anoda activist
Aint gat ur tym
Time registered march 2015,and to think an adult like u would have common sense
I've been a registered member on nl since I was 16 yrs old so for u to tell me that I can't air my opinion is complete fallacy and topping it off by laying insults on my person is a complete description of the type of person you are
I'm igbo,your igbo we have diff point of views,we can settle our diff views amicably
Ps I feel awkward advising you rather than you being the elder doing the reverse
A word they say is enough for the wise

You're disgusting.

Let me inform you old fool. I created this handle, illiad &co to defend my people against attacks from yorubas, sobos & hausafulanis & of course enemies within like yourself. That is my duty as a true son of Igbo that I am to stand and defend my people electronically&physically. Then there is the other handle to handle sensible Nigerians from all tribes and clans of whom all I truly love as I love Igbos.

And when this hatred against my people finally arrived at its boiling point I will fall out for field and take the special duty of doing away with your likes, the enemies within mark my words, I will fight to defend my people even to the point of death. And should I try to run away when that hour comes, let me be strikes to pieces by Amadioha.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 12:29am On May 04, 2015
Godsonkemz:
The more they try to kpai us the more we multiply. We are everywhere 'cos we run d world. Show me an igbo and i will show you lots of investment opportunities. Igbo kwezuenu...
if you run the world how come you cannot develop your states ? lmao. why do you all run to lagos ? but you run the world though ? loquacious biafrans grin

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 12:33am On May 04, 2015
illiad:

You're disgusting.

Let me inform you old fool. I created this handle, illiad &co to defend my people against attacks from yorubas, sobos & hausafulanis & of course enemies within like yourself. That is my duty as a true son of Igbo that I am to stand and defend my people electronically&physically. Then there is the other handle to handle sensible Nigerians from all tribes and clans of whom all I truly love as I love Igbos.

And when this hatred against my people finally arrived at its boiling point I will fall out for field and take the special duty of doing away with your likes, the enemies within mark my words, I will fight to defend my people even to the point of death. And should I try to run away when that hour comes, let me be strikes to pieces by Amadioha.

Old fool..I'm nt old o
And ma nigga don't beat a drum that you can't later dance to its tune
Deranged fellow
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by dollarlander: 12:36am On May 04, 2015
tzoracle:
Nawa o

All dis igbo posts are starting to annoy me
It shows inferiority complex,stop digging out all this facts like like u need anyones validation

And before u judge
I'm igbo
Full blooded

Sorry @tzoracle I beg to defer from your opinion. Someone rightly said "you cannot know where you are going to when you don't know where you are coming from".

The recently concluded election in Nigeria requires Igbo nation to know where they are going, because they seem lost inside a country they called their own. Now they are at the mercy of APC to have fair sharing in this new Nigeria. A big gamble has been made.

So there is a need to know where they are coming from, whether from Israel or Europe or mars. This will help them to make concrete decision if they still want to stay in the Nigeria colony or migrate to another colony.

What I will suggest we do as igbo nation is either to be part of the central government or go to international court to ask for an absolute state of Biafra, which was the original ignored country before 1914 amalgamation.

Because APC will definitely deliver good democracy and the alliance between North and southwest will continue to deepen because the south west wants development which will come from APC government, as the APC governors have done there. And this union may last for the next 100years, so what will be the end of Igbo nation in another 100years. We need to know where we are coming from.

So please, any information you can lay your hands on, place them on Nairaland. This will help us to know more about our history.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 12:37am On May 04, 2015
idhalama:
I have a friend in Jamaica,she told me almost every one in Caribbean are igbos and they do speak igbo and the culture still goes on there,they even study history and talk about the igbos,only few yorubas,but more of igbo and people in the south south.
must be why jamaica is full of crime. thanks for clearing that mystery up for me. cheesy
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by shurlermoz(m): 12:40am On May 04, 2015
vonmaxwell:
If only Nigerians will give Igbo people chance to develop her. This shows that Igbo is part of Developed USA. Woow

Charity begins at home.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 12:42am On May 04, 2015
dollarlander:

Sorry @tzoracle I beg to defer from your opinion. Someone rightly said "you cannot know where you are going to when you don't know where you are coming from".

The recently concluded election in Nigeria requires Igbo nation to know where they are going, because they seem lost inside a country they called their own. Now they are at the mercy of APC to have fair sharing in this new Nigeria. A big gamble has been made.

So their is a need to know where they are coming from, whether from Israel or Europe mars. This will help them to make concrete decision if they still want to stay in the Nigeria colony or migrate to another colony.

What I will suggest we do as igno nation is either to be part of the central government or go to international court to ask for an absolute state of Biafra, which was the original ignored country before 1914 amalgamation.

Thank you and God bless
Your observation is duly noted
But we can't just walk out of nigeria whilst nigeria has financial gains to be made from our presence.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by AkanIgbo: 12:43am On May 04, 2015
sukkot:
must be why jamaica is full of crime. thanks for clearing that mystery up for me. cheesy

How can a guy in Nigeria make a statement like that about Jamaica? The white man is the criminal, but he tries to pretend that he is law abiding and that black people are criminals. Hell the white man even calls Nigerians criminals, but the white man never says what crimes he has helped the Nigerians commit.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by shurlermoz(m): 12:43am On May 04, 2015
dollarlander:

So their is a need to know where they are coming from, whether from Israel or Europe mars. This will help them to make concrete decision if they still want to stay in the Nigeria colony or migrate to another colony.

What I will suggest we do as igno nation is either to be part of the central government or go to international court to ask for an absolute state of Biafra, which was the original ignored country before 1914 amalgamation.

Chief, everybody had a choice before the election and there can be only one winner, all this whining about losing an election is unnecessary, it's either you align or you be in the opposition,its quite simple
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 12:44am On May 04, 2015
Malawian:

actually, haiti is more of igbo than yoruba.
must be why haiti is so forked up then grin
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by illiad: 12:45am On May 04, 2015
tzoracle:

Old fool..I'm nt old o
And ma nigga don't beat a drum that you can't later dance to its tune
Deranged fellow

Old or young a fool you are still.
Go ask your father whence you came. No, don't ask your father, ask your mother, probably the man was robbed.

And if on the other hand you're a useless yoruba fool doing what your lot does best, identity deft, may Ogun pai you, young fool.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by ransomed: 12:46am On May 04, 2015
slimderek:
Chris brown is from Virginia.
Does it mean he's an igbo dude?
::--His name should be Christian Chukwuemeka Brown. Relics of Buffalo soldier.
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by tzoracle: 12:49am On May 04, 2015
illiad:

Old or young a fool you are still.
Go ask your father whence you came. No, don't ask your father, ask your mother, probably the man was robbed.

And if on the other hand you're a useless yoruba fool doing what your lot does best, identity deft, may Ogun pai you, young fool.

*yawns
Goodnight
Hope God reasons ur matter
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by sukkot: 12:50am On May 04, 2015
PPAngel:

Google no dey collect money.

Igbo uprisings in Jamaica and the surronding caribean greatly influenced abolition of slavery.

The Igbos were more than ever to run away and suicide was also rampant among Igbo and Efik slaves who preferred death than slavery.

But typical in today's world the Yoruba slave was very much subservient to his or her white masters.

In haiti igbos also dominated the rebellion that ousted the French and made Haiti the first independent black nation in the northern hemisphere.

So before you beat your foul chest that they speak Yoruba in Haiti know that your people where not trusted among the slaves back then. The only reason Yoruba language was encouraged was to stiffle the rebellious Igbo language which was used by mutious slaves to plan their revolt

Slave so when ever you see rihanna know you are seeing Nkechi
if you were so much of a rebellious people why did you allow yourself to be put on a slave ship ? why not do the rebellion or kill yourself before you got to destination ? you are a BIG LIAR. i know a lot about slavery and the reason the virginia slave owners loved and wanted only igbo slaves is because they were very subservient. the saying was that once the igbo slaves crossed over to virginia there spirit was broken. and if you want documentation on why the virginians only wanted igbo slaves i will provide it. it was because they were good workers and docile and subservient. and it is true that almost all the slaves in virginia were igbo. thats well documented history. so dont come here and deceive the ignorant people. out here we got people like me seasoned in the history of the world
Re: Igbo Ideograms On Grave Stones In Virginia, US by shurlermoz(m): 12:53am On May 04, 2015
illiad:
Warning!

This Thread Will Kill A Lot Of Yorubas!

How will a thread reminding you of how your forefathers were enslaved kill a Yoruba man. As if the Yoruba man doesn't have his own issues........dont know why you must spill bile every time you comment, how do you live with yourself?!

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (24) (Reply)

Ooni Ogunwusi Pays Wuriaola's Dowry; New Wife Steps Out In Royal Wedding Outfit / 10 Most Expensive Cultures To Marry From In Nigeria / 131-year-old "Iya Orisa" Living Under Olumo Rock - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.