Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,515 members, 7,954,960 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 01:12 PM

The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story (1616 Views)

Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / A Man Of The People (a Short Story) By Helon Habila. / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 9:53pm On May 04, 2015
All rights reserved. This work or any part thereof can not be used or copied without written permission from the author.

Email: soburadedokun@yahoo.com

The Last Messiah And The Common People

The last messiah was very tall and very thin too. The last messiah could have been lanky too, but no one - not even the brave storyteller who narrated this, then, had the balls to call him lanky. Probably, the last messiah was old too and had bad eyes. That was because of the thick glasses with exceptionally wide rims that always rested on the last messiah's big ears. It was also written in one of the big books of rumours that the last messiah lacked the natural gift of health; that he was sick.

Though most of the common people had the time of their lives whispering to each other, rumours or wicked assumptions about the last messiah, the good people and most of the learned ones thought that was unethical, rude, or unfair to the last messiah.

Generally, it is not that it is bad to be lanky, old, bad-eyed or sick, but in the ancient country where this short story took place, it was quite criminal to be any of these at one particular time. And devilish it was to be 5 of these at the same time, especially for a man who claimed to love God as much as the last messiah did.

No, this belief hadn't anything to do with laws of the country. It wasn't written in the constitution of this ancient country, but that was what most of the common people who lived in the country believed. No one - not even they themselves or the brave storyteller who narrated this story knew why they believed so.

However, in the year that this story happened, this country, where this story took place was on the verge of self-destruction. It's rulers cared not about it's crashing state and many of the people didn't too. Only the common people who weren't supposed to be as patriotic as the people cared. So, in the time of calamity after calamity for the common people, something strange happened. They started chanting, going around towns, singing songs of praises for the last messiah, and claiming he was the only one who could steer to the opposite direction, the country that headed straight to it's destruction. That is strange, isn't it?

Though strikingly contrasting, he was then christened 'the last messiah' by the those same common people who thought him devilish. 'Double standards?' Well, maybe, but that's story for another day. That, anyway, is how he earned his name.

How could a man who was as devilish as the last messiah was, still be believed to be a messiah? Well, the books of history has it that the last messiah once, for a short time ruled this country where this story took place - which was ultra-rich in corn, but didn't eat any out of the corn and didn't stack his house full with corn like many of the past rulers did. For some of the common people, that was enough for them to believe he was an exceptionally honest man. But, for the most of the uncommon people, that wasn't enough. 'Maybe he didn't just like corn.' They, the uncommon people said and shrugged and continued to live as happily as they ever did, oblivious or audaciously feigning oblivion to the country's state.

On the other part, though, some of the common men thought him a messiah because they thought he possessed a special power none other in the country did. They didn't know what power exactly that he possessed and the uncommon men usually had a good laugh at this hilarious joke.

Maybe it should be said at this point that the common men were more common in the country; they had a greater population number than that of the uncommon men.

The brave storyteller who narrated this story said that at some point, a war ensued. It wasn't fought with guns, or with spears or arrows as wars were fought then.. The war was a battle of wits between the common men and the uncommon ones. The war was a long one and the common men won, strangely enough. That was what he said. No one was there so no one knows if he spoke the truth or not. No one can even say if this story is true or not.

When the common men won, their messiah would become the ruler. That was how the last messiah almost became the ruler of the country where this story took place. Nobody knew if he became the ruler, but from what this brave storyteller narrated, he almost became the ruler.

So, then, the common men ran round the streets of the country singing and dancing, claiming that change had come, but the uncommon men, strangely un-bothered by their acts, laughed and laughed. They laughed because the last messiah wouldn't be able to save the sinking ship, or so they thought. 'There wasn't any change.' They said and laughed and felt that the country where this story happened, had been damaged beyond any change. It had been damaged beyond repairs. Or, that was what they thought.

From the brave storyteller, who narrated this story when no one else could have done.

Note: This story is fictious and it's characters. All resemblance to living beings is purely un-intended; probably. smiley
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Hawlahscho(m): 9:55pm On May 04, 2015
cry
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by timpaker(m): 10:43pm On May 04, 2015
grin
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 04, 2015
timpaker:
grin
Why the face, sir?
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 11:25pm On May 04, 2015
Hawlahscho:
cry
No, it's not tragedy sir. smiley
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Hawlahscho(m): 5:33am On May 05, 2015
laykorn:

No, it's not tragedy sir. smiley
Lol.grin
Maybe is cos I didn't read b4 commenting. grin
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 9:08am On May 05, 2015
Hawlahscho:

Lol.grin
Maybe is cos I didn't read b4 commenting. grin
Who does that?
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by PHgirl(f): 9:41am On May 05, 2015
All resemblance to living beings is purely unintended. Probably. smiley
I caught you. It's obvi about the presidential elections and Buhari is the last messiah. My opinion, though.
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by timpaker(m): 2:08pm On May 05, 2015
laykorn:

Why the face, sir?

The brave storyteller... cool
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 05, 2015
timpaker:

The brave storyteller... cool
Yes. He narrated this story to me. smiley
Have you met him too? undecided
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 9:45pm On May 05, 2015
PHgirl:
All resemblance to living beings is purely unintended. Probably. smiley
I caught you. It's obvi about the presidential elections and Buhari is the last messiah. My opinion, though.

Huh? The brave storyteller didn't tell me about these. Did you meet him too? Did he tell you these? undecided
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by PHgirl(f): 8:23am On May 06, 2015
laykorn:

Huh? The brave storyteller didn't tell me about these. Did you meet him too? Did he tell you these? undecided

Yep.
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by EverestdeBliu(m): 4:00pm On May 06, 2015
Hmm,sometimes the 'last messiah' don't always save the sinking ship,but rather have it 'mess'd higher'.
Well let's be optimistic,support him and see how far he gets.
#teamGEJ
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 4:03pm On May 06, 2015
EverestdeBliu:
Hmm,sometimes the 'last messiah' don't always save the sinking ship,but rather have it 'mess'd higher'.
Well let's be optimistic,support him and see how far he gets.
#teamGEJ

Who are you? Why are you derailing my thread? What has this got to do with my story, sir? undecided
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by EverestdeBliu(m): 4:39pm On May 06, 2015
laykorn:

Who are you? Why are you derailing my thread? What has this got to do with my story, sir? undecided
ur story is self explanatory,we all know where it points to.
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 06, 2015
EverestdeBliu:
ur story is self explanatory,we all know where it points to.

smiley
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by nellyme(f): 9:24pm On May 06, 2015
Lol abeg make una free am oooo its jst fiction.. ayamlaykorn nice story u got here...
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by stuff46(m): 2:04pm On May 07, 2015
Too bad, the Last Messiah could'nt offer what he wanted cheesy.
Btw, nice story.
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 2:51pm On May 07, 2015
stuff46:
Too bad, the Last Messiah could'nt offer what he wanted cheesy.

Btw, nice story.

How are you so sure he couldn't? undecided
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by stuff46(m): 3:21pm On May 07, 2015
cheesy
laykorn:

How are you so sure he couldn't? undecided
The story teller have said it already. cheesy
Btw, how have you been sire?
Re: The Last Messiah And The Common People - A Short Story by Nobody: 5:15pm On May 07, 2015
stuff46:
cheesy

The story teller have said it already. cheesy
Btw, how have you been sire?
I'm great, sir. And you? smiley

(1) (Reply)

SETBACK [story By Jummiepearl] / In The Billionaira's Bed (18+) / Benazir Bhutto: Daughter Of The East

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.