Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,195,217 members, 7,957,491 topics. Date: Tuesday, 24 September 2024 at 01:38 PM

IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? (1318 Views)

How to Overcome Trend of Poor Adoption of School Management Software (sms)? / Nigerian Smart Card Plant Supports Expansion Of Financial Services To Poor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by jetsetgo: 11:04pm On May 04, 2015
Words are cheap so I will be brief (besides nairalanders hate reading long posts)

IT is no more a luxury or geekish hobby. It has driven economies and made billionaires (hint hint: Microsoft). Why then do we have 'supposedly great programmers' that are underpaid and oft not so financially handsome?

'Almost' all the IT folk on nairaland come to brag:
1) I know 59 programming languages
2) I have worked for A, B, C, D, X, Y, and Z
3) C++ is king, Java was made in heaven etc
4) I am CCIE, OBICIS, MCSE, AMEBO
5) Who can solve this code?
Mouthware developers... They are broke the world over.

The world is a very big place with even bigger problems.
1) Take one problem and solve it
2) Solve it too well
3) You can use Yoruba programming language or Calabash Networks it doesn't matter
4) Take the solution to people/organizations/stakeholders that live/work/operate in that problem domain
5) Make 1,000,000 presentations/previews
6) Focus on their problem and not how beautiful your calabash or Yoruba is
7) Give them free or on trial if your business model supports it
8.) Give them so much support and assistance they become lazy
9) Your ability to solve problems is proportional to your value.
Money has value so value brings money.

When more and more IT folks start making things, companies will be forced to pay more for the time of an IT aficionado.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by AAinEqGuinea: 11:15pm On May 04, 2015
jetsetgo:
Words are cheap so I will be brief (besides nairalanders hate reading long posts)

IT is no more a luxury or geekish hobby. It has driven economies and made billionaires (hint hint: Microsoft). Why then do we have 'supposedly great programmers' that are underpaid and oft not so financially handsome?

2) Solve it too well
3) You can use Yoruba programming language or Calabash Networks it doesn't matter
4) Take the solution to people/organizations/stakeholders that live/work/operate in that problem domain
8.) Give them so much support and assistance they become lazy

When more and more IT folks start making things, companies will be forced to pay more for the time of an IT aficionado.

Great gospel. Emphasis on red text (Jesus text)
Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by AAinEqGuinea: 11:33pm On May 04, 2015
@op I interviewed for Google last year and their recruiters main, if not complete, talking points for my series of interviews were "tell us about what, how, and why you built these things you boast about on your CV."

It was none of the "how many basketballs can you fit on a basketball court" trivial crap Apple asks (which I've heard they've scaled down) because Google will gleam your thought process, problem solving and approach abilities from your builds conversation.

The very basics questions of "what are ideal cases for abstract classes?" were reserved for the first interview to make sure I had a brain before proceeding to subsequent interviews. I learned that these type of fundamental questions were literally, "are you a breathing human" questions for Google.

2 Likes

Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by nollyj: 8:57am On May 05, 2015
jetsetgo
Why can't you make the money yourself and employ all broke Nairaland developers including me so that we can have better lives and stop bragging?

In dhtml words "Some programmer want to rule the world why others are interested in making sure that they have 3 square meals on their table."

Before you take a jab here, you might as well say what you have done and much you have made. Beside that it means you are part of the problem you are talking about

1 Like

Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by thewebcraft(m): 9:21am On May 05, 2015
jetsetgo:

2) Solve it too well
cool Give them so much support and assistance they become lazy

True talk, " - 'Almost' all the IT folk on nairaland come to brag" that's because they are looking for cheap freelance jobs.
Someone started this topic a few weeks ago "Javascript With NodeJS" and it has been a annoying because all of them have been saying
C++ is king, Java was made in heaven, Nodejs is better than PHP etc..
And none of them has been able to prove it with any of the projects they built with that language that makes it better than others.
na only mouth them get..
Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by thewebcraft(m): 9:25am On May 05, 2015
nollyj:

Why can't you make the money yourself and employ all broke Nairaland developers including me so that we can have better lives and stop bragging?
In dhtml words "Some programmer want to rule the world why others are interested in making sure that they have 3 square meals on their table."
Before you take a jab here, you might as well say what you have done and much you have made. Beside that it means you are part of the problem you are talking about
Wow.. so you are waiting for employment..??, Instead of using the resources you've got, there's no need for him to say what he's done because he didn't create the topic to talk about himself...
Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by evaboy4real: 10:12am On May 05, 2015
I don't think so.
In other developed countries, IT personnel are paid well. But here in Nigeria, no much companies for these people. For instance, programmers are not much employed cos there are few companies available and that's why most are freelancers and in this, they don't get contracts often to get paid and this is why people don't dabble into techs in Nigeria.... All wants to be doc or layer....
Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by nollyj: 11:04am On May 05, 2015
thewebcraft:

Wow.. so you are waiting for employment..??, Instead of using the resources you've got, there's no need for him to say what he's done because he didn't create the topic to talk about himself...

I make more money that I can ever finish month in month out. Check what almost 1 million app downloads can make in a month in Google Play. That is just one source of income. If the op is not talking about himself there is no need to bash others.

2 Likes

Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by thewebcraft(m): 8:23pm On May 08, 2015
nollyj:

I make more money that I can ever finish month in month out. Check what almost 1 million app downloads can make in a month in Google Play. That is just one source of income. If the op is not talking about himself there is no need to bash others.
I make money everyday from my app. He's not bashing others he's just giving an advice..

1 Like

Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by sisqology(m): 2:56pm On May 09, 2015
lol, I like this
Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by blenyo11(m): 7:18am On May 10, 2015
U re talking to me. I m trying to repent.
Re: IT Pro: Why Are You Still Poor? by ubaojeh(m): 12:21pm On May 10, 2015
[b][/b]get our successful webdesign complete tools and start working at home bonuses for u free no charge only follow the
procedure and get them in your mailbox : Free
verified naton wide gsm database, eBook creator,
webhosting reseller setup, how i make money
blogging and many more at www.timosoft.net
just visit now just for limited timeget our successful webdesign complete tools and start working at home bonuses for u free no charge only follow the
just visit now just for limited time
get our successful webdesign complete tools and start working at home bonuses for u free no charge only follow the
just visit now just for limited time

(1) (Reply)

PYTHON: Please If You've Used The Python Sqlite3 Module Successfully, Help Me / How Do I Send A SMS Message To A Phone With Php. / Wannacry: The Cash Mining Ransomware.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.