Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,718 members, 7,809,719 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease (1354 Views)

Great Sex Linked To Heart Disease For Older Men But Not Women. / Ebonyi Tops In VVF/ Vaginal Fistula Disease Cases Nationwide - USAID / How Heart Disease Killed My Sister - President Jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 12:37pm On May 05, 2015
Polygamy isn’t a new phenomenon, especially with regard to a man being married to several women. It’s rooted in culture, history and religion. And though many people are likely to condemn it for so many reasons, most people have no idea that being a polygamist also has severe health implications for men.

For one, sociologists say polygamy can negatively impact the psychological health of everyone involved, while the wives might also develop psychological issues such as anxiety and depression. In recent times, however, scientists have come up with empirical evidence that this ancient practice actually increases the risk of heart disease by more than four-fold!

“There is evidence that married people have better overall health and longevity; but until now, no study has assessed the effects of polygamy on cardiovascular health. “We found an association between an increasing number of wives and the severity and number of coronary blockages. This could be because the need to provide and maintain separate households multiplies the financial burden and emotional expense. “Each household must be treated fairly and equally, and it seems likely that the stress of doing that for several spouses and possibly several families of children is considerable,” Daoulah says.

Stress and Your Heart

To start with, researchers say, anyone who is involved in a polygamous marriage would attest that it puts enormous stress on all concerned, especially the man who owns the harem. Professor of Cardiology at the European Society of Cardiology, Mr. Michel Komajda, says long-term stress in family life increases the risk of coronary heart disease, which invariably affects the quality of life – in this case, the quality of the male life since the study focuses on men.

Consultant Cardiologist, Dr. Kunle Olabanji, corroborates this, arguing that the effects of occasional stress on an individual are unquantifiable, and that when someone regularly undergoes stressful situations occasioned by the type of domestic challenges that usually attend polygamy, the result is better imagined. In effect, physicians say, when you’re stressed, your body undergoes chain reactions that include increased heart rate, constriction of some blood vessels and dilation of others, slowing down of the intestines, inhibition of digestive secretions, and prompting of the glands to flood the system with cortisol (the stress hormone).

Alcoholism, Precursor of Heart Problems

Some studies have shown that men in polygamous relationships are more likely to suffer from alcoholism, which is thought, in turn, to perhaps arise from psychological problems they encounter in their families. Olabanji says the effects of alcohol on the heart is better appreciated when you realize that your heart acts like a pump that keeps blood moving around your body. The cardiologist says heavy drinking that many people engage in to escape harsh realities of life also increases the risk of high blood pressure. He says, “Drinking excessive amounts of alcohol causes raised blood pressure, which is one of the most important risk factors for having a heart attack or a stroke.”

Coronary Artery Disease

Daoulah and his team found a significant association between number of wives and the presence of coronary artery disease, narrowing in a major epicardial blood vessel and multi-vessel diseases – signifying more than one diseased blood vessel in the heart.

http://www.punchng.com/health/healthwise/polygamy-can-give-you-heart-disease/
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Enegod(m): 12:46pm On May 05, 2015
undecided undecided
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Redoil: 1:47pm On May 05, 2015
@ chinum.
We men are not complaining and i see nothing wrong with having at leats 2 to 3 wives. Statistically women of marriageable age who are yet to get married are more than the men of marriageable age. Now for those women who could not get a single man as husband and they want to get marry should do what? With the ratio of women of marriageable age increasing geometrically while that of men is increasing arithmetically.
For those of you women who will not want ur husband to take more wives after marrying you i will say you ar wicked and evil minded
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 2:02pm On May 05, 2015
Redoil:
@ chinum.
We men are not complaining and i see nothing wrong with having at leats 2 to 3 wives. Statistically women of marriageable age who are yet to get married are more than the men of marriageable age. Now for those women who could not get a single man as husband and they want to get marry should do what? With the ratio of women of marriageable age increasing geometrically while that of men is increasing arithmetically.
For those of you women who will not want ur husband to take more wives after marrying you i will say you ar wicked and evil minded

Whatever sails your boat bro.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Redoil: 2:05pm On May 05, 2015
Chinum:

it should have been Whatever/whoever rocks your boat bro.
and the answer is you.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 2:09pm On May 05, 2015
Redoil:
and the answer is you.

Perfect smiley

Very hard to find guys who'll accept polyandry. smiley
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Redoil: 2:14pm On May 05, 2015
Chinum:

Perfect smiley

Very hard to find guys who'll accept polyandry. smiley
even nature reject it talkless of ants and cockroaches.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 2:17pm On May 05, 2015
Redoil:
even nature reject it talkless of ants and cockroaches.

Which nature?

It's all in your head.

Don't tell me you are selfish undecided I promise to take in just four of you.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Redoil: 2:22pm On May 05, 2015
Chinum:

Which nature?

It's all in your head.

Don't tell me you are selfish undecided I promise to take in just four of you.
most women are asymtomatic to allmost all std that they might have spread the std to more than 50 men b4 knowing. Besides do you think you can have the strenght to handle the demand of those four men? Be truthfull to ur self
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 2:28pm On May 05, 2015
Redoil:
most women are asymtomatic to almost all std that they might have spread the std to more than 50 men b4 knowing. Besides do you think you can have the strength to handle the demand of those four men? Be truthful to ur self

I expect my husbands to be faithful to me so that cancels the aspect of std. Whether I can handel it is a talk for another day.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Redoil: 2:35pm On May 05, 2015
Chinum:

I expect my husbands to be faithful to me so that cancels the aspect of std. Whether I can handel it is a talk for another day.
no culture or tradition expect any man to be faithfull to his wife. Do you know that the sexual organ of a man has a lot of sweet/sensitive nerve ending than that of woman so expecting woman to be faithfull is reality but expecting man to be faithfull is a joke and a myth.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 2:44pm On May 05, 2015
Redoil:
no culture or tradition expect any man to be faithfull to his wife. Do you know that the sexual organ of a man has a lot of sweet/sensitive nerve ending than that of woman so expecting woman to be faithfull is reality but expecting man to be faithfull is a joke and a myth.

Once again, whatever sails your boat.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Redoil: 2:52pm On May 05, 2015
Chinum:

Once again, whatever sails your boat.
once again it is you chinum.
Truth has always been a bitter pill to women. They prefer lies to make them happy
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 2:54pm On May 05, 2015
Redoil:
once again it is you chinum.
Truth has always been a bitter pill to women. They prefer lies to make them happy

We can't gel for obvious reasons buddy. I'll only end up sinking your boat. smiley
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Redoil: 2:57pm On May 05, 2015
Chinum:

We can't gel for obvious reasons buddy. I'll only end up sinking your boat. smiley
you think so? I alway love tougher women and i promise to settle down with any i first come accros. Why not make a try.
Re: Polygamy Can Give You Heart Disease by Chinum: 3:08pm On May 05, 2015
Redoil:
you think so? I alway love tougher women and i promise to settle down with any i first come accros. Why not make a try.

tongue already did.

(1) (Reply)

My Life As A Doctor ...... The Way I See It / The Link Between Utis And Sex / A Nairalander Almost Drowns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.