Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,852 members, 7,810,280 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:57 AM

Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. (5000 Views)

Christopher (A Short Story) / Fate And Fortune(a Short Story) / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 11:50pm On May 08, 2015
prettydiva89:
am here who can i share a seat with.. Apologies for coming late..
You are welcome. Hey, shift for her jor! Ok, you may sit beside him.
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 11:53pm On May 08, 2015
harjibolar10:
go sidon alone jhoor.. . *winks

No mind me, ma lap is always available + you are free to sidon on it
Bad UNCLE alert!
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by realjoker(m): 12:53am On May 09, 2015
Ohibenemma:

Hmmm! Is me be that?!! You just made my day. That shows I'm learning fast. Thanks!

Final part tomorrow.
is this what you called a short story?. Ok i need the summary, because this is too much for me to read.
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Nobody: 6:48am On May 09, 2015
harjibolar10:
go sidon alone jhoor.. . *winks

No mind me, ma lap is always available + you are free to sidon on it
Thanks jae will soon sit
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 9:41am On May 09, 2015
realjoker:
is this what you called a short story?. Ok i need the summary, because this is too much for me to read.
Oga, what do you call a story less than ten thousand words?
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 9:45am On May 09, 2015
Let's Not Waste Time on Frivolities...Kontinyus...

Ade's father was a deacon in the church and her mum was the Women Prayer Coordinator.

It was already six months since and they had kept their vows. Itohan had since received an award for Best Bible Scholar, Youth category; and had severally been described, alongside Ohis, as shining lights worth emulating by other teenagers. She had seen the smile on her parents' faces whenever the pastor so praised them, she could only imagine their disappointment should Uncle Osagie spill the beans on someone having been there before him. He would be banned again from visiting them, that was for sure, but she wasn't sure she would ever be able to get over the shame when the heat turned on her.

She would tell her dad nothing. She would live with the mental torture, hoping it would soon be over; that would be better than the great disappointment the revelation would evoke in her parents, it would be better than losing their trust forever.

Now suddenly wary of being of being found in her dishevelled state and being unable to properly explain it,
Itohan arose and went to lock her bedroom door. She cleared the used clothing items from the floor and was soon beneath the shower. She couldn't explain the sudden burst of energy, she couldn't explain the sudden reinvigoration.
All appeared okay; she thought she had stemmed the tide until next morning when she awoke to the sound of her parents' voices bading someone goodbye. 'We will make sure we get to the root of the matter,' her dad's voice sounded, 'thank you.' She wondered what the visitor could be looking for so early in the morning, but also felt a presentiment of the visit having to do with what had transpired between her and Uncle Osagie the previous day.

'That boy will never learn...' Her mum was saying when she entered the sitting room.

'Good morning, mum; good morning, dad,' she greeted her parents.

'Good morning, how are you?' Her dad replied curtly and moved into their bedroom.

Her mum tarried: 'How are you, my darling? Hope you are fine? Are you sure you are?'

She had answered in the affirmative to all the questions; many unasked questions were running through her own head.

They had gone to and returned from church together, as usual, but she was sure that her dad wasn't his normal cheerful self. She wasn't sure if it wasn't due to the presentiment on her mind, as Ohis didn't appear to notice their dad's moodiness in any way. They had just taken lunch, herself unable to take much due to her heavy mind, when the doorbell rang. Her heart lurched when she saw that it was Uncle Osagie. He was donning a black, gold buttoned suit with a cream coloured inner shirt and a gold coloured bow-tie. He looked good. Uncle Osagie had obviously come directly from his own church's service. He only wore formal wears on formal occasions.

Her dad had just welcomed him and shown him a seat when the doorbell rang again. This time, it was Bisola. Itohan remembered the voice; she was the early morning visitor.
After Bisola was seated, the silence was palpable.

Itohan arose and was about going to her bedroom when her dad spoke up.

'You may not go anywhere until we are through with this.'
She slumped back on the settee, her heartbeats suddenly on overdrive.

'Ohis may excuse us,' her dad said next and patiently waited until the door to Ohi's bedroom banged shut. 'Itohan, I wouldn't say I am disappointed until I hear your side of this.
What transpired between you and Osagie yesterday?'

Itohan's tears already flowed freely; she couldn't see the look of surprise on Osagie's face, she didn't see him maliciously eye her.

'This is not a time for tears, my daughter,' her mum said.

'Tell us exactly what happened.'

'Uncle Osagie accused me of not visiting him for over three years...' She began tearily, ' and urged me to come over yesterday. I didn't want to go...but felt it was best I did in the spirit of reconciliaton...He even promised to foot my transportation bills...and I went to his house. I had difficulty locating his address at first...but eventually found it...'

'Let's not waste time on frivolities, sir,' Bisola cut in. 'I caught your brother, my so-called fiance, raping your daughter. I was close to his house when I called him. I was about calling the second time when I entered the compound and heard your daughter's screams. I got closer and peered through one of the shutters, but he was already mad at it. Her screams for mercy meant nothing to him. Osagie didn't even notice my shadow across the window, he wasn't even aware when I turned the door handle, only to meet the door locked. I thought of calling for help, but it was too late, the deed was already done....

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 9:47am On May 09, 2015
...Final thrust...

'I called Osagie again, but he claimed not to be at home. I had to do all within my power to stay cool and await your daughter's exit...I carefully trailed her home to know your house before returning to the smooth operator who claimed to have just arrived home.'

Itohan heaved a sigh of relief; she could never have put it any better.

'Is this true, Osagie?' Itohan's mum asked. 'Is it true that you took advantage of my innocent girl?'

Osagie wanted to deny her innocence; he wanted to state that someone had been there before him, but the words wouldn't come forth. He felt they would sound childish and out of place.

'Isn't it obvious that he's guilty as charged?' Itohan's dad said. 'My only disappointment is with my daughter who could conceal such a grevious act from her parents.'

'He must have threatened her,' her mum interjected, 'he must have blackmailed her into silence! I know his type, that's what they do to their victims; she must have been dying silently, ravaged and desecrated like that yet too scared to speak up.

Her dad noisily exhaled and sank back into the sofa. They heard some voices outside and her dad sat up.

'Osagie, you won't find it simple this time. This time, you will bear the full weight of the law.'

'What?! What are you saying, brother?'

'Like Bisola said earlier, we won't waste time on frivolities; your captors are at the door.'

Itohan couldn't help remembering Delilah making such an announcement to Samson. Her dad beckoned her to come to him. She was moving into his arms when the doorbell sounded.

'Come right in,' her dad announced and two policemen marched in. Her dad nodded at his brother. 'That's the young man before you.'

'Brother, why? Why will you do this to me?' Osagie cried, as the policemen approached him, one of them holding a handcuff.

'We will see in court, Osagie,' Itohan's dad said carressing her back.

It caught everyone by surprise when Bisola burst into tears as the policemen led Osagie away, but Itohan's mum was quickly by her side.

'You are betterof without him,' she told the younger lady.

'He once got away lightly with same on my friend's sister. I never knew that, three years down the line, my daughter would be a victim.'

'I'm happy it turned out like this, though it's painful - the abrupt ending to what seemed so target oriented. Well, let's not waste time on frivolities; once a liar, always a liar, twice a rapist, forever a rapist!' Bisola arose and strode to the door.

Itohan, her dad and mum followed her. A few metres ahead, just before the wicket gate, was Osagie; he was flanked on each side by a policeman.
THE END.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Nobody: 9:54am On May 09, 2015
Wow!

*claps claps claps!
This is awesome. Will you, sir, tell us a story of how the e-diot was carted away to jail too, sir?
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by handmaid: 12:36pm On May 09, 2015
Wow
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Nobody: 2:13pm On May 09, 2015
laykorn:
Wow!

*claps claps claps!
This is awesome. Will you, sir, tell us a story of how the e-diot was carted away to jail too, sir?
am interested in the poetry chatroom

NICE ONE
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 2:52pm On May 09, 2015
laykorn:
Wow!

*claps claps claps!
Thanks! Glad you like it.

Jail again? I don't even want to think about that.
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 2:52pm On May 09, 2015
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by LarrySun(m): 3:33pm On May 09, 2015
he was flanked on both sides by a policeman.

I think it should rather be he was flanked on both sides by two policemen.

Or

he was flanked on each side by a
policeman.

Very good narration, sir. This is an awesome piece. I hope to read more of your works.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by LarrySun(m): 5:22pm On May 09, 2015
laykorn:
Wow!

*claps claps claps!
I'll reply your mail tomorrow, sir. I'm so sorry for the delay.
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Nobody: 5:47pm On May 09, 2015
LarrySun:
I'll reply your mail tomorrow, sir. I'm so sorry for the delay.

Thank you, sir. I didn't even know you got it. smiley
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by handmaid: 7:05pm On May 09, 2015
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by handmaid: 7:06pm On May 09, 2015
angrythe story is nice but too short. Oh sorry. It's titled a 'short story'' wink
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Fembleez1(m): 2:06am On May 10, 2015
Would take time to read when I'm up in the morning after mass! smiley
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by realjoker(m): 12:33pm On May 10, 2015
Ohibenemma:

Oga, what do you call a story less than ten thousand words?
large story. Any story above 160 words is not a short story. If you don't believe me ask Twitter.
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 2:41pm On May 10, 2015
LarrySun:
he was flanked on both sides by a policeman.

I think it should rather be he was flanked on both sides by two policemen.

Or

he was flanked on each side by a
policeman.

Very good narration, sir. This is an awesome piece. I hope to read more of your works.
Thanks... I will effect the correction as soon as possible (2nd one). You know, there are those times when you know something is wrong with a sentence, yet you can't readily figure it out?
Aside finding it very difficult(boring) editing my works, I actually noticed that something was wrong with that sentence; unable to come up with a ready solution, I decided to leave it so.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by kay9(m): 6:58pm On May 10, 2015
Nice. Very nice. Molestation-themed stories are always a hard read for me, but this one...this one went smoothly.

Well done!
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 7:01pm On May 10, 2015
realjoker:
large story. Any story above 160 words is not a short story. If you don't believe me ask Twitter.
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 7:13pm On May 10, 2015
kay9:
Nice. Very nice. Molestation-themed stories are always a hard read for me, but this one...this one went smoothly.

Well done!
THANKS!
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by harjibolar10(m): 8:50pm On May 10, 2015
... And they live happily ever after.

This is the kind of (short)story I always like reading, the type that will be consice and meaningful... Bros, you are too much

That suite that yeye osagie well, those kind of people are still out there, doing that kind of qbomination.. . I pray they will be aprehended anon.. .

Sorry I came late boss
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by abimbawealth(f): 11:18am On May 11, 2015
Nice story Op...Say No to Abuse
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Nmeri17: 11:59am On May 11, 2015
impressive!!

1 Like

Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by SPDAZZY(f): 10:09pm On May 12, 2015
Great I love this. Well done sir

1 Like

Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 2:18pm On May 14, 2015
abimbawealth:
Nice story Op...Say No to Abuse
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 2:20pm On May 14, 2015
SPDAZZY:
Great I love this. Well done sir
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by justicesky24(m): 6:58pm On May 15, 2015
Nice story bro
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by Ohibenemma(m): 11:09pm On May 15, 2015
justicesky24:
Nice story bro
Re: Let's Not Waste Time On Frivolities...a Short Story. by stonecoldcafe: 6:12pm On May 16, 2015
I enjoyed your story. You are a very good writer and your delivery is top notch. I love your use of language. It was pretty sophisticated for me (in a very good way) and not too many writers write that way here.

Having said that, I felt squeamish as I read the rap.e bit. It seemed a tad long and detailed to me. (I've read worse though. In that case, I quickly called that writer to order and jumped off his thread)

Anyway your story ended great so I'm pacified. LOL
I'll be looking out for your other works. Well done!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

New Book By New Nairalander: Shattered! / Forbidden Love (the Ultimate Sacrifice) / Celeberating Flora Nwapa's 86th Posthumous Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.