Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,743 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:26 AM

What Makes One Detribalized? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / What Makes One Detribalized? (603 Views)

What Makes Delta People Tick? By Azuka Onwuka Of Punch / Nigerian Nationalism & Identity : What Makes You Tick Tock Naija (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Makes One Detribalized? by Afam4eva(m): 2:14pm On May 07, 2015
I have noticed that most people that have been accused of tribalism always uses popular rebuffs to prove otherwise. We hear things like, how can be tribalistic when my wife is bla or my friend is bla or my uncle's wife is bla or i am bla. As much as someone who is destribalized is most likely to have grown up around people from different backgrounds, but does that necessarily mean that just because your wife is hausa for example, that you can't be tribalistic towards Hausa people. I don't know of any Nigerian that doesn't have friends from different ethnic groups but these same people are the ones who perpetuate stereotypes. So, do these things really matter?
Re: What Makes One Detribalized? by SeverusSnape(m): 2:16pm On May 07, 2015
"The idea that a Nigerian is detribalized is a fraud" - Olusegun Adeniyi

1 Like

Re: What Makes One Detribalized? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 2:21pm On May 07, 2015
I am detribalized but
Re: What Makes One Detribalized? by bigFOOTcaveMAN(m): 2:30pm On May 07, 2015
When we kill other tribes we get their wild for the hunt and their wives for the cvnt. cool
Re: What Makes One Detribalized? by emorse(m): 3:19pm On May 07, 2015
I believe Nigerians are sectional by nature. Our ancestors used to profile families(I think we still do) before allowing marriage from or into them whether or not the individual to be married possessed desired qualities. Tribalism is simply a macrocosm of our inherent sectionality.

Hence, one can only be said to be detribalised when he/she can relate with others as individuals and not as members of a particular tribe. He/she must understand the fact that one person from a particular tribe behaving somehow(either positively or negatively) doesn't mean the whole tribe behaves that way.

I believe I am sufficiently detribalised anyway. It is easy for me because I was born in and have lived with different ethnic societies all my life and as such, I don't have much emotional attachment to any tribe. In fact, some people say I am lost!

(1) (Reply)

(NEWS In Yoruba) Irin Ajo Buhari Nda Egbẹ APC Lamu / Why Racism will Never End By President Mugabe / See What This Driver Did To His Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.