Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,466 members, 7,816,090 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:05 AM

Is This Song Worldly? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is This Song Worldly? (1972 Views)

Do Not Lose Your Soul To Worldly Music / WORLDLY Music Vs GOSPEL Music / Is It Right For Christians To Dance Worldly Dance Steps In The Church??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is This Song Worldly? by Bluffly: 2:24pm On May 07, 2015
Good day everyone,

Please I and my colleague disagreed over Korede Bello's song "Na Godwin". He said it is a worldly song and does not praise God/Christ but I said no that the expression of the song is obviously appreciating God for his kindness and mercies. We did not agree, hence why I need your view. See the Lyrics and let me hear your opinion if t is indeed worldly or not

INTRO:
Marvin
Hey-hey
Hey-hey
Korede-bello
Don-jazzy again oh
Omo lo'pe
Mega super star oh
Oh-na-na

VERSE 1:
I don get alert (Godwin)
And I don pay ma rent (Godwin)
Dem be won fall ma hand but
(Godwin)
Dem be won kill ma joy but
(Godwin)

CHORUS:
I say anything dem do na
(Godwin oh, na Godwin oh, na Godwin
Oh)
Anything dem do na (Godwin oh, na
Godwin oh, na Godwin oh)

VERSE 2:
I don change ma name to
(Godwin)
And omo I don buy motor (Godwin)
Dem say my market no go sell but
(Godwin)
And dem be say I no go blow but
(Godwin) them my brother
Make them try their luck my
(God go win oh, my God go win oh, my
Lord go win oh)
Anything dem do na (Godwin oh,
Na Godwin oh, na Godwin oh)

VERSE 3:
As you don pass exam na (Godwin)
And dem be say you no go pass
But (Godwin)
You wake up see today las'un
Na (Godwin)
Robbers dey rub, dem no see you
Brother (Godwin) dem no see you
My sister, oya *

CHORUS:
Na Godwin oh, na Godwin oh, na
Godwin oh
Anything dem do na Godwin oh,
Na Godwin oh, na Godwin oh

VERSE 4:
As na your wedding day na
(Godwin)
And e don tey wey you dey find
But (Godwin)
See we go pop champagne today
(Godwin)
We go dance, dance, dance cos
(Godwin)
elelele anything you win na
(Godwin)
And if you win election my brother
(Godwin)
Like if you win the contract my
Friend na (Godwin)
And if you check the countdown
My brother (Godwin)
And if your market celelele na
(Godwin oh, na Godwin oh, na
Godwin oh)
Anything dem do na (Godwin oh, na
Godwin oh, na Godwin oh)
Why you no go dance na (Godwin
Oh, na Godwin oh, na Godwin oh)
Anything dem do na (Godwin oh,
Na Godwin oh, na Godwin oh)
INSTRUMENTS (Godwin)
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Basildvalour(m): 2:35pm On May 07, 2015
Nothing wrong with that music to be played in church after all, people play "flying without wings" and "I believe I can fly" in church

1 Like

Re: Is This Song Worldly? by igwedaboss(m): 3:00pm On May 07, 2015
Like say na them holy pass
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 7:08pm On May 07, 2015
The real question should be whether something is edifying or not. i.e. does it provide any instruction of positive benefit?

Remember that some secular songs are edifying. E.g. a country's National Anthem, fostering hope, unity, love, peace and togetherness.

In this case, I'll leave you to ask yourself, "Does it pass the Phil 4:8 litmus test?"

Phil 4:8
Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, graciousthe best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.

1 Like

Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Bluffly: 7:46pm On May 07, 2015
InesQor:
The real question should be whether something is edifying or not. i.e. does it provide any instruction of positive benefit?

Remember that some secular songs are edifying. E.g. a country's National Anthem, fostering hope, unity, love, peace and togetherness.

In this case, I'll leave you to ask yourself, "Does it pass the Phil 4:8 litmus test?"

Phil 4:8
Summing it all up, friends, I’d say you’ll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, graciousthe best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse.
Now what does this song sound like, curse or praise
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 8:28pm On May 07, 2015
Bluffly:

Now what does this song sound like, curse or praise

What do you think? smiley
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Bluffly: 8:33pm On May 07, 2015
InesQor:

What do you think? smiley
I asked you a question and you are asking me back. You see confusion
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 8:37pm On May 07, 2015
Bluffly:

I asked you a question and you are asking me back. You see confusion

In a religious discussion, after all the back and forth, the best answers always come from yourself to yourself, and there are too many examples of this in the Bible. But nowadays, most people want to be spoon-fed smiley

Cheers mate

1 Like

Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Bluffly: 8:44pm On May 07, 2015
InesQor:

In a religious discussion, after all the back and forth, the best answers always come from yourself to yourself, and there are too many examples of this in the Bible. But nowadays, most people want to be spoon-fed smiley

Cheers mate
Is that how you partake in sunday school or house fellowship? You quoted a verse bolded some text and left the real text addressing the situation which makes you inconclusive. You were asked a simple question and you are forming heady, na wa o. Is that how you spread the word.
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 8:59pm On May 07, 2015
Bluffly:

Is that how you partake in sunday school or house fellowship? You quoted a verse bolded some text and left the real text addressing the situation which makes you inconclusive. You were asked a simple question and you are forming heady, na wa o. Is that how you spread the word.

Lmao you funny die, walahi grin

The initial question get as e be, so the answers too must get as dem be.
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Roon9(m): 9:54pm On May 07, 2015
Jus cos something appears morally ryt dat doesn't mean it is edifying.... How does a pastor sing; as I don pop champagne? How you yourself go feel
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 9:59pm On May 07, 2015
Roon9:
Jus cos something appears morally ryt dat doesn't mean it is edifying.... How does a pastor sing; as I don pop champagne? How you yourself go feel

LOL I see. So popping champagne is wrong? What about eating wedding cake?

I think Jesus ate cake and drank wine (alcoholic, probably, because preservation of non-alcoholic wine in those days was a complicated problem. Alcohol preserves itself so whenever you read "wine" in the Bible, it's not sweet sparkling grape juice. Besides, the party host was asking why jesus wine was served when people were already drunk and wouldn't know the difference. But let's hold that thought). Paul also recommended some alcohol to Timothy in 1 Tim 5:23.

But that's Jesus and Paul and Timothy. Pastors of nowadays shouldn't ever touch alcohol oh. As per say dem pass Jesus and Paul and Timothy.

For clarity, drinking alcohol is never the problem. Getting drunk is the problem. There is a difference.

The same way eating too much food (gluttony) can be a sin is how getting drunk is a sin. Alcohol itself is never the problem.
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Roon9(m): 10:09pm On May 07, 2015
InesQor:

LOL I see. So popping champagne is wrong? What about eating wedding cake?

I think Jesus ate cake and drank wine (alcoholic, probably, because preservation of non-alcoholic wine in those days was a complicated problem. Alcohol preserves itself so whenever you read "wine" in the Bible, it's not sweet sparkling grape juice. Besides, the party host was asking why jesus wine was served when people were already drunk and wouldn't know the difference. But let's hold that thought). Paul also recommended some alcohol to Timothy in 1 Tim 5:23.

But that's Jesus and Paul and Timothy. Pastors of nowadays shouldn't ever touch alcohol oh. As per say dem pass Jesus and Paul and Timothy.

For clarity, drinking alcohol is never the problem. Getting drunk is the problem. There is a difference.

The same way eating too much food (gluttony) can be a sin is how getting drunk is a sin. Alcohol itself is never the problem.

Oga mi u r not getting the point, korede bello as we all know is a secular musician.now immagine d beer parlour opposite my church booming Godwin at a Friday ladies night party and my church at that same time is playing d song during our own Friday night vigil....be not unequally yoked with unbelievers
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 10:25pm On May 07, 2015
Roon9:

Oga mi u r not getting the point, korede bello as we all know is a secular musician.now immagine dbeer parlour opposite my booming Godwin at a Friday ladies night party and my church at that same time is playing d song as well...during our own Friday night vigil....be not unequally yoked with unbelievers

Okay Oga, I actually agree with you that maybe it should not be played in church - so as not to pass across a wrong message. But my only reason for this, is that there are many more appropriate songs that will pass the same message, so why choose this one?

1 Cor 10:23
All things are lawful, but not everything is helpful.

However, I see nothing wrong with a Christian playing it for his own private jubilation or even entertainment - and without any hypocrisy. I don't believe God will frown at a Christian for jubilating and singing 'Na God win' after he passes an exam or interview.

2 Likes

Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Roon9(m): 7:31am On May 08, 2015
InesQor:

Okay Oga, I actually agree with you that maybe it should not be played in church - so as not to pass across a wrong message. But my only reason for this, is that there are many more appropriate songs that will pass the same message, so why choose this one?

1 Cor 10:23
All things are lawful, but not everything is helpful.

However, I see nothing wrong with a Christian playing it for his own private jubilation or even entertainment - and without any hypocrisy. I don't believe God will frown at a Christian for jubilating and singing 'Na God win' after he passes an exam or interview.

Yes very very valid assertions! Its jus like playing rkellys I believe I can fly... Dias nothing wrong with it

1 Like

Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Sanchez01: 7:57am On May 08, 2015
Worldly is not the appropriate word but Secular. The song is indeed secular; and that he mentioned God several times does not make it religious or the best genre for Christians known as "Gospel".

Overtime, Don Jazzy has found a way to resonate 'luck' or 'blessings' in the songs of his artistes and it has often posed to be debatable since a layman believes "It must be accepted by Christians since it talks about God."

For example; D'Banj's "Olorun Maje" posed this same question. Wande Coal did something similar back then but I can't recall the song.

Question: What determines if a song is secular or not?

For sensitive Christians and church choristers, there's an understanding that every known song in the world is backed up by a spirit. Therefore, to determine the spirit behind such songs, we look at certain things;

1. The Artiste: What's his/her objective, music-wise? Is he/she an advocate of the Gospel or Christ? If no, then it is secular.

2. Lifestyle: This is perhaps the greatest reason why most so-called Gospel singers fail. They claim to stand for Christ, yet, their lifestyle says otherwise. For example, I met BOUQUI years back and I couldn't help but stare at her coloured hair and the 'crazy' hairstyle. Would you tell me you'll gladly accept Christ if a person walks up to you to preach Christ? Apologies though.

3. Lyrics: So what does the lyrics of "Godwin" says? Does it praise God or edify Christ and His church or simply mentions God because some good fortunes falls into one's hands? How preachy is the song? How well does it talk about heaven? How well does it describe the majesty of God? What does it say about Praise? Would you consider the song a healing song?

Finally, Is Korede Bello a Gospel singer? If yes, then fine. But if no, then the song is secular.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is This Song Worldly? by Bluffly: 8:48am On May 08, 2015
InesQor:

Lmao you funny die, walahi grin

The initial question get as e be, so the answers too must get as dem be.
Because you decided to see it as e be. Anyways I have seen more assertive responses.
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 1:00pm On May 08, 2015
Sanchez01 The song is definitely secular. As I said before, the actual question is whether the song is is fit for consumption by a Christian. There is no doubt that it is secular. Most, but not all, secular songs are not really good to listen to. But I also know some "gospel" songs that I wouldn't touch with any seriousness.
Re: Is This Song Worldly? by InesQor(m): 1:01pm On May 08, 2015
Bluffly:

Because you decided to see it as e be. Anyways I have seen more assertive responses.
Okay boss.

(1) (Reply)

Can A Christian Survive In Kuwait? / How To Be Saved From Eternal Damnation Instructions / Shiloh 2016 From Glory To Glory – Winners Chapel | Living Faith Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.