Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,764 members, 7,851,611 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:42 AM

Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. (19578 Views)

Professor Of Philosophy Laid-in-state In His House / Wole Soyinka Loses On Becoming Oxford's Next Professor Of Poetry. / Photo : Could This Be The Next Chike Obi, Professor Of Maths? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by ogawisdom(m): 6:46am On May 10, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
Nobel Laureate, Wole Soyinka is set to be elected as the Oxford professor of poetry after emerging as the leading candidate for the role.

Candidates for the 300-year-old position, which is seen as the top academic poetry role in the UK, need to be nominated by at least 50 Oxford graduates.

Soyinka has already gathered more than 90 nominations, including votes from writers, Melvyn Bragg and Robert Macfarlane, the Guardian UK reports.

The role is currently occupied by eminent poet, Geoffrey Hill who will complete his five-year tenure this summer.

Also competing for the position are Ian Gregson, a poet, literary critic and professor of creative writing at Bangor University who has 54 nominations and Seán Haldane, a poet and award-winning novelist who has 51 nominations.

The Oxford Professor of Poetry will give one public lecture a term and will earn a stipend of £12,000 a year.

The winner will be announced on June 19.

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/may/07/wole-soyinka-candidates-oxford-professor-of-poetry

12,000 pounds a year dts too poor
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by alfayaa(m): 7:15am On May 10, 2015
that's my prof. wish u good luck sir.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 7:28am On May 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

I thought it's Prof. Olu Obafemi of Unilorin, now in National Institute of Policy and Strategic Study, Kuru, Jos, that translated "Igbo Olodumare." There is one other professor that translated "Ibudo Onireke." D. O. Fagunwa's books are full of mystery. If he had written in English, he might have won the Nobel Laureate (in Literature). The Queen gave him the title of Member of the British Empire (MBE).
Olu Obafemi translated 'Aditu Olodumare' Mystries of God. Dunno if he translated Igbo Olodumare too but Wole Soyinka sure did a translation for Igbo Olodumare.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:33am On May 10, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Olu Obafemi translated 'Aditu Olodumare' Mystries of God. Dunno if he translated Igbo Olodumare too but Wole Soyinka sure did a translation for Igbo Olodumare.
Ok.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 7:35am On May 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

I thought it's Prof. Olu Obafemi of Unilorin, now in National Institute of Policy and Strategic Study, Kuru, Jos, that translated "Igbo Olodumare." There is one other professor that translated "Ibudo Onireke." D. O. Fagunwa's books are full of mystery. If he had written in English, he might have won the Nobel Laureate (in Literature). The Queen gave him the title of Member of the British Empire (MBE).
D O Fagunwa was the best. I love his books. Started with my mom's copy of 'Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Olodumare' at age 15. Had to go get the others plus two other translations at Ibadan like 5years ago.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Ephemmm: 7:53am On May 10, 2015
captainBIAFRA:
[s][/s]

Yea, even a rabbied dog gets a medal cool

Many were mad, but only few are roaming!
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 8:50am On May 10, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

D O Fagunwa was the best. I love his books. Started with my mom's copy of 'Ogboju Ode Ninu Igbo Olodumare' at age 15. Had to go get the others plus two other translations at Ibadan like 5years ago.
I watched Ogbo Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole when it was staged in OAU, Ile-Ife some years back.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 9:00am On May 10, 2015
I respect prof.Soyinka whenever I hear his name mentioned in anything literature but I detest him whenever he tries bathing in political issues...

Soyinka flying the green and white flag...Nigerians I hail thee cool
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 9:15am On May 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

I watched Ogbo Ode Ninu Igbo Irumole when it was staged in OAU, Ile-Ife some years back.
Wow!
I'd love to Fagunwa's book adapted into movies someday.
Can't wait.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Babysho(m): 9:49am On May 10, 2015
ayindejimmy:

What do you know about the genre of poetry when all you do is peddle drugs and sell fake electronics? So the Prof. Should start doing same... Init?
I'll pardon your parochialism but not your foolhardliness

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaaaaaa.....dont mind the fool...the guy is very stewpid...if that Professor stuff clicks...Prof Soyinka would be earning 230,000naira per month for 5years...and all he has to do is give a public lecture once in a term...whats better than sitting in a place and jus keep receivin alerts...
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Cashio(m): 10:06am On May 10, 2015
captainBIAFRA:
[s][/s]

sorry for the insolence this sunday morning . but bros u are a big fool.......it doesnt matter ur tribe. commend what is commendable and condemn what is condemnable...obu ya bu omenala igbo
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Cashio(m): 10:09am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/
This Oyibo people no go kill person.

Professor of Poetry. grin grin grin.

Might as well name him professor of poultry.

Soyinka..... no go find job.

\
another bigger fool...if u fail to celebrate what is good, evil will never depart from ur household
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Cashio(m): 10:21am On May 10, 2015
africanusvu:
He hav realy lost aany single respect igbos av for him from dat day
now i see idleness is a disease..if only i went to church today, i wouldnt have been here reading such insane posts as this..pls could u all ignore this other fool and continue celebrating success......happy sunday to u all
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by sweetgala(m): 10:32am On May 10, 2015
InvertedHammer:

/
Correctly noted.

Even Shakespeare is only good for High School recitation.

Wole Soyinka is a very intelligent man who wasted his brain studying something that is obscure. Had it been he is a lawyer or something productive, even the sky will not be his limit.

Poetry is of no economic value. It smacks of intellectual laziness to sit all day to find English words in the dictionary that rhyme with one another. Can he teach Poetry in his native language? No!
/

If you are the manager of the London civic theatre or one of the many successful theatres , selling out weeks of shows and employing many actors you would not even dare say so.

Some of the most successful movie industry peole have been stage actors this is especially true for British and European standards . Such entertainment in used to express the human experience and tell stories so diverse.

Shakespeare can still sell out on Broadway any time and his books and plays have generated billions , ask any bookstore and you'll be swiftly told some of the best sellers are still the essential Shakespeare tittles. I studied through the last 4 years of grammar school in Europe and I know the standardised EU education system proscribes at least 2 Shakespeare tittles for review in 6th year for leaving cert. Imagine how many students go into a bookstore to pay 6--10 euro for a hardcopy or these days get a copy unto a kindle

2 Likes

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by pazienza(m): 10:43am On May 10, 2015
Damn, education pay peanuts. Imagine how much top footballers earn and compare them to the money they are going to pay Soyinka for his genius and first class brain. Such a disparity, no wonder most youths are gunning for the entertainment industries and not academics.

By the way, congrats in advance to the grey haired ageless professor, he deserves it.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by isan(m): 11:18am On May 10, 2015
Nigeria will conquer the world when she is ready
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:32am On May 10, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Wow!
I'd love to Fagunwa's book adapted into movies someday.
Can't wait.
The problem with adapting plays like that, which Wole Soyinka once pointed on his, is interpretation. Kongi Harvest, adapted in the early 1970's, is the only play of Soyinka that has been adapted. He complained that the producer, an Africa-American didn't give it the needed interpretation. Recently, I heard that Áke, Years of Childhood would be adapted into a movie.
I believe the only problem that will be encountered in adapting D. O. Fagunwa's books into movies will be interpretation. Already, there is the forest in Ondo State, which borders Osun State around which his works are surrounded. It serves as a natural and readily available location.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 11:46am On May 10, 2015
Kizmarty:
I respect prof.Soyinka whenever I hear his name mentioned in anything literature but I detest him whenever he tries bathing in political issues...

Soyinka flying the green and white flag...Nigerians I hail thee cool
There is no way you can ostracize Soyinka's work, especially the plays, which are satirical, from politics. They are political in their own right. I read a book, Politics of Soyinka. The writer says his plays are shrouded in politics.
-A Play of Giants is about Idi Amin of Uganda.
-Dance of the Forest, which won the competition of plays to be staged for independence in 1960, is about the future of Nigeria. Almost all that he said about Nigeria have come to pass.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Chinom(m): 11:53am On May 10, 2015
With due respect to the man, of what fvcking use is poetry to Nigeria. I rate JJ Okocha, Rashidi Yekini etc above all these so-called intellectuals who have contributed nothing tangible to the Nation. Jay Jay still remains much well known internationally than Soyinka and others like him.

Jay jay put Nigeria firmly on the world map.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Neob04(m): 12:29pm On May 10, 2015
Am proud to be a Nigerian. This man is just an epitome of knowledge i pray he clinch the position.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by holiboy: 12:38pm On May 10, 2015
Good for the man of timber and calibre but God let people celebrate my nonsense this time in jesus name
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 1:02pm On May 10, 2015
eleojo23:
One good thing about this ('oyinbo') people is that they recognise and appreciate quality and talent not minding the tribe or nationality of the person. Once you have something to offer, they give you their support.

It's a lesson to all those who try to bring others down and refuse to acknowledge and appreciate their talents just because they are from a different tribe.
You are deluded. Millions of black people in the west are routinely denied employment even when qualified, owing to racism and discrimination, and even when employed, are often paid less than their white counterparts. There are raw statistics indicating this. Do not let these token gestures deceive you, Mr Oyibo worshiper.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 1:13pm On May 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

The problem with adapting plays like that, which Wole Soyinka once pointed on his, is interpretation. Kongi Harvest, adapted in the early 1970's, is the only play of Soyinka that has been adapted. He complained that the producer, an Africa-American didn't give it the needed interpretation. Recently, I heard that Áke, Years of Childhood would be adapted into a movie.
I believe the only problem that will be encountered in adapting D. O. Fagunwa's books into movies will be interpretation. Already, there is the forest in Ondo State, which borders Osun State around which his works are surrounded. It serves as a natural and readily available location.
Exactly. Did you see the rubbish that was done with "Half Of a Yellow Sun"?
The only person that can interpret Fagunwa's books properly is Tunde Kelani.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Akinrogun(m): 1:14pm On May 10, 2015
captainBIAFRA:
[s][/s]
do d needful!

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Chinom(m): 1:38pm On May 10, 2015
Professor of Poetry ? !!. I still cannot fathom this rubbish. What we need are professors of Nuclear Physics, Neuroscience, robotics, computer engineering or even economics.

Sorry, but I'm not feeling this appointment.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 1:42pm On May 10, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Exactly. Did you see the rubbish that was done with "Half Of a Yellow Sun"?
The only person that can interpret Fagunwa's books properly is Tunde Kelani.
You're right. Tunde Kelani is very good at film production. The person next to him is Kunle Afolayan. He did a good work in adapting some of Akinwumi Ishola's works like Oleku and Saworoide. He also did a good job in Ti Oluwa N'Ile, Arugba, Koshegbe, Narrow Path, etc.

1 Like

Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by eleojo23: 2:27pm On May 10, 2015
ROSSIKE:
You are deluded. Millions of black people in the west are routinely denied employment even when qualified, owing to racism and discrimination, and even when employed, are often paid less than their white counterparts. There are raw statistics indicating this. Do not let these token gestures deceive you, Mr Oyibo worshiper.

(drops my glass of drink for a while)
I was expecting a comment like this. I know that the things you listed above exist, but what do you have to say about the injustice and ill treatment that Africans/Nigerians give to themselves in the name of tribalism?

Delusion? Funny.
For the record, I worship no race and even if I do, I don't think it should be your headache. Or should it? Please make me understand. (goes back to sipping my glass of Pure Heaven) grin
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by Nobody: 3:51pm On May 10, 2015
OrlandoOwoh:

There is no way you can ostracize Soyinka's work, especially the plays, which are satirical, from politics. They are political in their own right. I read a book, Politics of Soyinka. The writer says his plays are shrouded in politics.
-A Play of Giants is about Idi Amin of Uganda.
-Dance of the Forest, which won the competition of plays to be staged for independence in 1960, is about the future of Nigeria. Almost all that he said about Nigeria have come to pass.

partially true
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by simdam500(m): 4:21pm On May 10, 2015
cheesy cheesy grin a job Weldone sir...

Soyinka finally got himself a job
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by OrlandoOwoh(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2015
Kizmarty:

partially true
Show me one Soyika's play that is not a satire.
Re: Noble Laureate, Wole Soyinka Leads Candidates For Oxford's Professor Of Poetry. by mickey45: 8:26am On Sep 28, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

He translated Igbo Olodumare too to 'In the forest of Olodumare'
I have all his books.
The prof is a Legend and I won't be surprised if he wins this one.

Good day Ope!
Can you give me a run down list of Fagunwa's books? I'd also appreciate it if you know any website where I can download their pdf's from

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Graduates With First Class From Nottingham Trent University / JAMB Subject Combinations For All Courses – 2018 / University Of Maiduguri Mourns It’s Chancellor, The Alaafin Of Oyo.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.