Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,859 members, 7,813,935 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 09:57 PM

The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones (3842 Views)

How To Repair Damaged Or Corrupted Sd Card / This is the real reason why Tecno Mobile is The best Phone Brand in Nigeria / How To Identify Real And Fake Micro Sd (memory) Cards (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Defcon1(m): 7:19pm On May 09, 2015
Like l earlier promised,I have done my best, but the summarized article has refused to be posted.

l don't think it is poor reception ( network) as l initially thought.
l guess my smartphone(windows phone) is not so smart after all. smh.

Please manage the link below:

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/the-real-reason-why-micro-sd-card-slots-are-118456089714.html?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C2247050078

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by gemiclem(m): 7:46pm On May 09, 2015
Booked
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Defcon1(m): 7:47pm On May 09, 2015
Sorry guys.
l have been battle with poor reception ( network)
l am finding it very hard to organize, summarize and post the article.
Even the file pictures have refused to load.

However, rest assured l will eventually succeed.
It is a very interesting article, so keep on checking on the thread
Bear with me for now.

Thanks
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by UchihaItachi(m): 7:56pm On May 09, 2015
Well there's LG G4 which will probably be the only 2015 flagship with a micro SD slot and a removable battery. Although I don't really miss SD cards, I use OTG flash drives instead and I happen to think they're much more useful than SD cards but I certainly don't wanna see removable batteries go
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Chizak24(m): 8:13pm On May 09, 2015
Defcon1:
Sorry guys.
l have been battle with poor reception ( network)
l am finding it very hard to organize and post the article.
Even the file pictures have refused to load.

However, rest assured l will eventually succeed.
It is a very interesting article, so keep on checking on the thread
Bear with me for now.

Thanks

the gods of mobile are punishing you for trying to steal my article.. Guys visit mobility dot ng ...and read it fully undiluted.. Peace!!
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by dasphinx1(m): 8:18pm On May 09, 2015
Chizak24:

the gods of mobile are punishing you for trying to steal my article.. Guys visit mobility dot ng ...and read it fully undiluted.. Peace!!

Elroy, i see you bro!!!!!! Mobility's very own poster boy!!!!! i no know say u sef de nairaland....nuff respect!!!!!
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Defcon1(m): 8:46pm On May 09, 2015
Chizak24:

l stole your article
How?
I have never heard of your site,
neither have l been to it
You didn't post the article anywhere on nairaland, either.
l searched the phone section to be sure nobody had created a similar thread, but l found none.
You are not the author of the article l was trying to post.
I was going to post it together with the source...which obviously is not your website.
Please spare me, l don't know what you are yapping about.undecided

4 Likes

Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 09, 2015
I see
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by ki02020(m): 2:51am On May 10, 2015
I was here to receive tutorial but it seems there is an argument over copyright....MOD ishilove sir, your help is needed
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Defcon1(m): 8:04am On May 10, 2015
ki02020:
I was here to receive tutorial but it seems there is an argument over copyright....MOD ishilove sir, your help is needed
Sir, no need to bother
There is no issue over copyright here.
Neither of us is the author of the article (i.e. if it is even the same article)
It is just an article on Yahoo
It is somewhat lengthy and 'disorganized' on the website, so l tried to modify it a bit before posting...together with the source, of course.
However, my not-so-smart smartphone has been disappointing.
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Baroba(m): 8:13am On May 10, 2015
Defcon1:

Sir, no need to bother
There is no issue over copyright here.
Neither of us is the author of the article (i.e. if it is even the same article)
It is just an article on Yahoo
It is somewhat lengthy and 'disorganized' on the website, so l tried to modify it a bit before posting...together with the source, of course.
However, my not-so-smart smartphone has been disappointing.

Please don't let your thread he derailed, there is no copyright issues like you said, this article was posted on tech blogs and sites throughout the week. Hugo Barra ex google VP was giving his thoughts on SD card during the launch of xiaomi's latest flagship..

Here is the original link..

http://www.engadget.com/2015/05/06/hugo-barra-xiaomi-microsd-battery-mi-4i/
If you were to compare iOS and Android, the latter's storage expansion option via microSD -- up to a whopping 200GB these days -- is often regarded as an advantage, though not all devices come with such offer. For instance, while HTC and LG have made the microSD slot a standard feature on their recent flagship devices, Samsung oddly decided to remove it from its Galaxy S6 series (ironically, the company has just announced new microSD cards). Xiaomi, on the other hand, seems to be on the fence: its flagship line has long ditched the microSD slot after its first-gen device, yet its affordable Redmi line uses said feature as a selling point. It's as if Xiaomi is contradicting itself, but Hugo Barra, the company's Vice President of International, gave us a more definitive answer after launching the Mi 4i in Hong Kong.

"For high performance devices, we are fundamentally against an SD card slot."

Barra backed up his statement by pointing out that his team didn't want to sacrifice battery capacity, ergonomics, appearance and, in the case of the new Mi 4i, the second Micro SIM slot for the sake of letting users add a storage card. More importantly, microSD cards "are incredibly prone to failure and malfunctioning of various different sorts," and the fact that there are a lot of fake cards out there -- and we've seen it ourselves -- doesn't help, either.

Xiaomi's Hugo Barra shows off the Mi 4i's small logic board.

"You think you're buying like a Kingston or a SanDisk but you're actually not, and they're extremely poor quality, they're slow, they sometimes just stop working, and it gives people huge number of issues, apps crashing all the time, users losing data, a lot of basically complaints and customer frustration. It's gonna be a while before you finally accept that maybe the reason why it's not performing is because you put in an SD card, right? You're gonna blame the phone, you're gonna blame the manufacturer, you're gonna shout and scream and try to get it fixed, so many different ways until you say, 'Actually, let me just take the SD card out and see what happens.'"

"It is a trend: SD cards will disappear."
Barra probably would have given the same reasoning if he was still the VP of Google's Android division. Despite many techies' desire to have storage expansion option, all Google Nexus devices bar the Nexus One lack microSD expansion, and Matias Duarte, VP of design, once explained that this is because "in reality it's just confusing for users." Google engineer Dan Morrill also voiced a similar concern on Reddit a while back.

"It is a trend: SD cards will disappear," Barra added. "You should basically not expect SD card slots in any of our flagships."

A disassembled Mi 4i displayed at the Hong Kong launch event.

On a similar note, Xiaomi's flagship line has also long abandoned the removable battery. Barra said his company's sales data indicate a low demand for spare batteries and external battery chargers these days. Of course, there's no doubt that this has to do with Xiaomi offering very cheap USB power banks (the 16,000 mAh version costs just around $18 in China), and these inadvertently help users transition from the days of removable batteries to fixed batteries. That said, Xiaomi's Redmi phones still offer removable batteries along with a microSD slot -- the latter a necessity as these dirt cheap devices come with relatively little internal storage space, which is typically just 8GB.

"Our thinking is if you're gonna have a removable back for the purposes of having an SD slot, you might as well make the battery removable," the exec explained. "It doesn't really increase the cost of the battery that much."

Xiaomi's Brazil launch is happening in just a matter of weeks.
After yesterday's Hong Kong event, Barra had already rushed back to Beijing for the Mi Note Pro launch earlier today, and then he'll be off to Taiwan for another regional Mi 4i launch tomorrow. But what's really keeping this exec busy is the preparation for Xiaomi's entry into his home country, Brazil, which is a notoriously tough market for foreign electronics brands to crack due to local policies -- you must either manufacture locally or pay heavy import taxes. Barra said that's not an issue as Xiaomi already has local manufacturing partners (namely Foxconn), and he hinted that the launch is happening in just a matter of weeks. If all goes well, this will be Xiaomi's ninth market globally, and also the first outside of Asia.

I don't agree with Barra, it all boils down to cooperate greed, they want people to pay for expensive cloud services, the likes of google have been pushing this for some time.. HTC M8 has expandable storage and in no way did it affect the phone ergonomics. I sincerely hope Samsung don't ditch SD card and removable battery on note 5 when launched..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Defcon1(m): 8:22am On May 10, 2015
UchihaItachi:
Well there's LG G4 which will probably be the only 2015 flagship with a micro SD slot and a removable battery. Although I don't really miss SD cards, I use OTG flash drives instead and I happen to think they're much more useful than SD cards but I certainly don't wanna see removable batteries go
Removable batteries may soon be phased out from what l am seeing.
I don't know what reasons they will give, but many newer high-end phones are coming with the option of non- removable battery.
For heavy users in this clime with erratic power supply, it's going to be very frustrating!
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Nobody: 8:45am On May 10, 2015
Book
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by ki02020(m): 8:49am On May 10, 2015
OP nice reaction from you......but between removable and nonemovable battery is there any concrete diffrence apart from detachable
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by yomalex(m): 10:21am On May 10, 2015
Okay
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by scarr: 10:46am On May 10, 2015
Defcon1:

Removable batteries may soon be phased out from what l am seeing.
I don't know what reasons they will give, but many newer high-end phones are coming with the option of non- removable battery.
For heavy users in this clime with erratic power supply, it's going to be very frustrating!
Do u have any statistics of smrtphones users in this clime that have uses an extra battery?
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Defcon1(m): 10:51am On May 10, 2015
ki02020:
OP nice reaction from you......but between removable and nonemovable battery is there any concrete diffrence apart from detachable
I am a heavy user.
I usually buy 2 extra batteries whenever l buy a new phone.

Because of our erratic power supply, l always charge the extra batteries whenever there is power(few times a week in my area)
At times l even charge them in those phone accessories kiosks...while still using my phone at home.

By doing so, l would have 2 extra batteries to use for days during power cuts

With a non-removable battery, l would have just one battery, which when it goes flat leaves me with no spare till the next power supply(God knows when grin)

Only those with 24/7 power supply won't bother about the whole thing.
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by Defcon1(m): 10:53am On May 10, 2015
scarr:

Do u have any statistics of smrtphones users in this clime that have uses an extra battery?
No.
Just speaking for heavy users, with erratic power supply, like me.
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by hahn(m): 12:58pm On May 10, 2015
GBAM!

We haven't had power supply for over 3 weeks

Defcon1:

I am a heavy user.
I usually buy 2 extra batteries whenever l buy a new phone.

Because of our erratic power supply, l always charge the extra batteries whenever there is power(few times a week in my area)
At times l even charge them in those phone accessories kiosks...while still using my phone at home.

By doing so, l would have 2 extra batteries to use for days during power cuts

With a non-removable battery, l would have just one battery, which when it goes flat leaves me with no spare till the next power supply(God knows when grin)

Only those with 24/7 power supply won't bother about the whole thing.
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by dolphinheart(m): 7:14pm On May 10, 2015
I thought sd cards where having issues with smartphones(in this case android operated ones) cus the andriod operating system is no longer supporting sd cards and u have to root ur phone before sd cards can work .
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by scarr: 12:18pm On May 12, 2015
Defcon1:

No.
Just speaking for heavy users, with erratic power supply, like me.
Considering the fact that batteries are getting better with each mobile release and unbelievable power banks are produced, using extra batteries might fade off soonest
Re: The Real Reason Why Micro SD Card Slots Are Disappearing From Smartphones by samsard(m): 4:01pm On May 12, 2015
Hmmmm

(1) (Reply)

Iphone 8plus And 7plus Available At Affordable Prize / Devout Muslims Self-flagellate With Swords In Bloody Religious Ceremony / Tecno T3 Vs Nokia Asha 303.... H.E.L.P!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.