Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,944 members, 7,952,805 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 02:31 AM

Beyond Medicine - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Beyond Medicine (4053 Views)

"Biafra Is Not Our Medicine" An Article By Chukwuebuka Mbaso / Medicine For Money (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Beyond Medicine by Sageez(m): 10:10pm On May 29, 2015
adeh39:

Why did you mention it when you know you won't give me, Can't you be a gentleman and give me the rest of the popcorn
*mouth open* *eyeballs out* the rest? Do u want me to cry?
Re: Beyond Medicine by Nobody: 10:18pm On May 29, 2015
Sageez:
*mouth open* *eyeballs out* the rest? Do u want me to cry?

Cry nah....... Mummy's pet
Re: Beyond Medicine by Fembleez1(m): 7:14pm On May 30, 2015
amberacious:

Popcorn is free.

Thanks boss. I like your story Doctor amberacious. It is captivating. There is suspense and the choice of words are flawless.

I have certainly learnt some few descriptive styles from you and would still be here to read.

I love to learn everyday smiley, that's the only way I improve.

Keep up the good work bro and know that, `though your audience might be few but keep up the good work.'

My first story is a good example here on NL.

Yours in Pen.

Still I follow grin

“A sage is not afraid of lack of knowledge: he is not afraid of hesitations, or hard work, but he is afraid of only one thing - to pretend to know the things which he does not know.”

“The only thing I truly know - is that I know nothing.”

Socrates

Pr0ton, will you please come here and join in reading this, if you don't mind, mention some few friends you think you might want to share with.

Mr. Sageez, where the popcorn na?

Dopeyomi and shoyemiayodeji. Please be punctual.

Bhuumite, you could check this out. wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Beyond Medicine by Sageez(m): 8:10pm On May 30, 2015
Fembleez1:
Mr. Sageez, where the popcorn na
here is it boss. Enjoy
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 8:09am On May 31, 2015
adeh39:

Why did you mention it when you know you won't give me, Can't you be a gentleman and give me the rest of the popcorn

I 've reserved your popcorn. Ice cream is also on the table, if u don't mind.# Winks
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 8:13am On May 31, 2015
Fembleez1:

Thanks boss. I like your story Doctor amberacious. It is captivating. There is suspense and the choice of words are flawless.

I have certainly learnt some few descriptive styles from you and would still be here to read.

Keep up the good work bro and know that, `though your audience might be few but keep up the good work.'

ut. wink

Thanks for d word of encouragement. It came @ just d rite tym. And another thanks for d ivs. U r d boss. And please, this is critical, critics with constructive criticism is critically needed.
Re: Beyond Medicine by Nobody: 8:55am On May 31, 2015
amberacious:

I 've reserved your popcorn. Ice cream is also on the table, if u don't mind.# Winks

Oh! thanks Dearie!
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 9:48am On May 31, 2015
Parthenogenesis

“Parthenogenesis!” Dr. Luke exclaimed.

Mary and Elizabeth looked lost.

They had expected a logical explanation on how Mary’s pregnant test could be said to be positive, since Dr. Luke personally confirmed that she was still a virgin.

“What is parthenogenesis?” Mary asked in her cluelessness

“Parthenogenesis is a scientific term for a process that a layman understands as virgin birth,” Dr. Luke tried to simplify.

“It’s a form of asexual reproduction, that has been scientifically proven in plants, and lower animals.” He continued to educate his patients

“Though, it’s yet to be seen in humans, because of the nature of our imprinted genes,” He cautioned

Mary wondered how such an explanation could be acceptable, if it has not been seen to occur in any human before.

Dr. Luke continued his reproductive education.

“In humans what you have is the donation of 23 chromosomes from the male gamete and another 23 chromosomes from the female gamete to form the 46 chromosomes at fertilization”

“But in your case, your ovum must have undergone some unexplainable process, to have produced the entire 46 chromosomes without the help, and presence of the male gamete.”

“And if that is the case, then, since the female gamete carries only X-sex chromosome, you can be certain that the baby you are carrying now is a girl.”

Mary watched in amusement, as Dr. Luke continued to contradict himself, then when she thought she has heard enough, she voiced out.

“It’s a boy; the Angel said I will have a boy child,” Mary corrected.

Dr. Luke paused, and then looked at his audience. The ridiculous look on their faces told him he has been making fool of himself all this while.

Really, deep down he knew all his justifications were all fallacy.

“Could this be another mysterious case beyond medicine?” he wondered.

To be continued...............
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 7:06pm On May 31, 2015
CHAPTER FOUR

THE BRIT MILAH

Re: Beyond Medicine by Pr0ton: 7:35am On Jun 01, 2015
Fembleez1:

My first story is a good example here on NL.

Yours in Pen.

Still I follow grin

“A sage is not afraid of lack of knowledge: he is not afraid of hesitations, or hard work, but he is afraid of only one thing - to pretend to know the things which he does not know.”

“The only thing I truly know - is that I know nothing.”

Socrates

Pr0ton, will you please come here and join in reading this, if you don't mind, mention some few friends you think you might want to share with.

Mr. Sageez, where the popcorn na?

Dopeyomi and shoyemiayodeji. Please be punctual.

Bhuumite, you could check this out. wink

Wow. It's a cool one. I haven't read everything though. I'll find time to do so. Thanks for the mention.

cc - FrancisTony
- Tholuwaniey
- Precious001
- Missymossy
- Johnydon22
- Treasuregr8
- Dara319

2 Likes

Re: Beyond Medicine by Fembleez1(m): 10:25am On Jun 01, 2015
amberacious:

Thanks for d word of encouragement. It came @ just d rite tym. And another thanks for d ivs. U r d boss. And please, this is critical, critics with constructive criticism is critically needed.

Don't worry bro, they'll come at the right time. wink
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 6:04am On Jun 02, 2015
Pr0ton:

Wow. It's a cool one. I haven't read everything though. I'll find time to do so. Thanks for the mention.

U r welcome on board....... popcorn n icecream are also available. kiss
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 6:08am On Jun 02, 2015
CHAPTER FOUR: THE BRIT MILAH

(LUKE 1:57-80)

The Brit milah

It has been eight days after Elizabeth was delivered of a bouncing baby boy, and according to the Jewish religion, the baby was to be circumcised on this day, in an occasion called Brit milah. Dr. Luke has been given the honor to be the Mohel, the ritual circumciser at the ceremony. Dr. Luke was also requested to come with a Sandek, the companion of the child for the ritual.

It was the early hour of the day. Dr Luke walked through the busy streets of Judea, whose occupants had already started their trade. He walked briskly, as he was almost late, and Theophilus, the teenage boy that accompanied him, was chasing him to keep up with his pace, because he had to wait behind and purchase his Tallit for the ceremony.

Dr. Luke had chosen Theophilus to serve as the Sandek of the ceremony. Theophilus just resumed as a medical student under the tutelage of Dr. Luke. This would be his first field experience, and Dr. Luke needed him to observe how circumcision was being done closely, hence his choice for the Sandek role. His job as the Sandek would be to hold the baby’s thigh and knee, while Dr. Luke, the Mohel circumcised the child.

As Dr. Luke entered Rev. Zachariah’s compound, he wondered why the choice of the house for the ceremony. Customarily the synagogue was used, though the choice of homes was also acceptable. All seemed set for the ceremony as he got there at the nick of time. After greeting the already seated guests, his first port of call was to the table at the front stage, on which a box containing the traditional circumcision tools set was placed. He had to inspect the box and ensure that no piece was missing, before the commencement of the event.

Dr. Luke covered the wooden box with its cow hide coverlet, all its content seemed to be in place ,except for the expected absence of a sedative agent, as sedation was not used in Jewish circumcision. Dr. Luke remembered the argument that the mitzvah of brit milah lies in the pain it causes. With pity, he then looked at the innocent baby, as Elizabeth carried him into the open space for the ceremony.

“You will cry the hell out today,” Dr. Luke wanted to whisper at the baby’s ears.

Then the pity eyes of Dr. Luke fell on Rev. Zachariah, the father of the child. He was busy attempting to communicate with one of his guests using sign language, but unfortunately, the guest appeared clueless as he obviously did not understand any of his signs. The guest just cleverly smiled backed at Zachariah.

“But why has his speech problem defiled all medical interventions,” Dr. Luke questioned himself.

To be continued............
Re: Beyond Medicine by Nobody: 8:36am On Jun 02, 2015
Mmmmn............ Still reserving my comments......
Thanks for the update........
Re: Beyond Medicine by Seunvense(m): 4:27pm On Jul 11, 2015
Amberacious come and continue the story pls.
Re: Beyond Medicine by Fembleez1(m): 7:54am On Oct 08, 2015
Op, what's up now? Come continue this piece.
Re: Beyond Medicine by Youngmaster0(m): 6:48am On Jan 12, 2016
Hey very captivating story would u continue
Love 4rm ur Fan
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 12:57pm On Jan 12, 2016
Youngmaster0:
Hey very captivating story would u continue
Love 4rm ur Fan
Fembleez1:
Op, what's up now? Come continue this piece.
Seunvense:
Amberacious come and continue the story pls.

Apologies for my MIA status.......... Sometimes the clarion call could be so demanding........ Will be continuing the story....... Hope you continue to have a good time reading it.......... Cheers and Happy 2016........amberacious.
Re: Beyond Medicine by amberacious: 1:04pm On Jan 12, 2016
Idiopathic Broca’s Aphasia

Dr. Luke’s mind flashed back to events that occurred nine months ago when he revealed to Mrs. Zachariah that she was pregnant. He remembered she told him of a strange story about her husband Zachariah. She said that three month prior to that time her husband went to the Temple to perform his priestly duties. While he was performing the routine rituals an angel appeared to him and foretold that she was going to be pregnant and have a son. However, being an inquisitive person her husband demanded for a sign and the angel was said to be angry at the level of her husband’s unbelief. Angel was then said to have made her husband dumb and he has remained dumb ever since then.

The dumb story sounded dumb to Dr. Luke. He could not fathom how a hallucinating experience could be associated with an aphasic episode so he requested that Mrs. Zachariah with her husband should come to the clinic the following day for proper clinical investigations and subsequent treatment. The following day, patient folder 278 was opened for Mr. Zachariah. While he was being attended to by Dr. Luke, he wrote down the same story that his wife had earlier told Dr. Luke.

Dr Luke thought about his possible differentials; Stroke topped his list. Others that made the list were brain tumor, epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease and head injury. Also on the list initially was herpes viral encephalitis, however, this was immediately ruled out by the sudden nature of the loss of speech. Dr. Luke then started ruling out other differential diagnosis by asking for the presence of history of head injury, seizure and classical symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease. Zachariah confirmed the absence of all these symptoms by answering NO in writing.

Dr Luke struck out epilepsy, Alzheimer’s disease and head injury from his head list; he was left with stroke and brain tumor. He then asked for presence of history of headache, loss of consciousness and inability to move any of his limbs. To these Zachariah again replied NO in writing. With all his differentials now struck out Dr. Luke moved to his next line of action and requested for an MRI of Zachariah’s brain.

“Since from the history I can’t get a clear picture of what is going on in his brain, the MRI will certainly show a clearer picture,” Dr. Luke thought in his mind.

Few minutes later the result was out. Dr. Luke checked through the frontal lobe of the cerebrum for the notorious Broca center. He was shocked that there was no lesion at the Broca center. Then he checked around the other parts of the brain for any clue on what may be going on. He found nothing. The MRI film revealed a brain that was as clear as a normal brain could be.

“Why is this film also appearing as dumb as its owner?” He asked in his mind in frustration.

He turned to the couple and explained, “Your Brain MRI result appears normal”

Then in an attempt not to unduly raise the hope of the couple, choosing his words carefully he continued slowly.

“When issues like this happen in medicine, when the pathogenesis of a particular illness is rather unclear, we then to label such idiopathic, so the condition we are dealing with here is what I would call “Idiopathic Broca’s Aphasia.”

To be continued...............
Re: Beyond Medicine by Sageez(m): 8:44am On Jan 13, 2016
“Idiopathic Broca’s Aphasia.”
Re: Beyond Medicine by Fembleez1(m): 9:39pm On Jan 14, 2016
Nice to have you back bro.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Download John Grisham Books From?!!! / The Graduate's Story: A True Life Story Episode 1 / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.