Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,053 members, 7,838,657 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 07:23 AM

Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade (745 Views)

Bill Gates' Wife Melinda Washes Plates, Carries Water On Head In Malawi (Photos) / $100,000 For 'Next-Generation Condom' By Bill Gates / Harvard Professor Gates Arrested At Cambridge (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade by spikedcylinder: 10:10am On Feb 08, 2009
Gates unleashes skeeters at technology conference

Bill Gates set a conference abuzz when he opened a jar of mosquitoes onstage to make a point about malaria prevention.
"There's no reason only poor people should have the experience," the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft said at the TED (Technology, Entertainment, Design) conference Wednesday in Long Beach.
Audience members including technology leaders laughed nervously as the insects swarmed across the auditorium. Gates assured them that the bugs were not carrying malaria.
Gates talked about his philanthropic foundation's fight against malaria, a preventable and treatable disease that kills more than 1 million people a year, mostly in Africa.
Gates said fighting the disease must be a higher priority.
"There is more money put into baldness drugs than into malaria," Gates said.
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation has committed $1.4 billion to fight malaria and is backing a vaccine that could reduce deaths by more than two-thirds if it is effective, he said.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090206/ap_on_he_me/bill_gates_malaria

Is he extreme or what? undecided
Re: Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade by diggler(m): 10:49pm On Feb 08, 2009
It aint about being extreme, thats the kinda mentality that made him the Richest guy on Gods earth for a decade or so.

I do hope his new crusade works (tho he has to find a way to circumvent corrupt 3rd world governments who would be all to glad to sink their claws on the $1.4billion)
Re: Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade by tpia: 12:25am On Feb 09, 2009
Re: Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade by spikedcylinder: 8:12am On Feb 09, 2009
diggler:

It aint about being extreme, thats the kinda mentality that made him the Richest guy on Gods earth for a decade or so.

I do hope his new crusade works (tho he has to find a way to circumvent corrupt 3rd world governments who would be all to glad to sink their claws on the $1.4billion)

By threatening to inflict people with Malaria? Really?
Re: Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade by RichyBlacK(m): 6:42pm On Feb 09, 2009
diggler:

Good point! Those dirty crooks in Abuja come to mind. I pray the monies and programs are closely monitored. How about recruiting trusted NGOs like Doctors Without Boarders to run some aspects the program? I have zero confidence in most African governments! Corruption has become part of their DNA, unfortunately.
Re: Bill Gates' Malaria Crusade by Gamine(f): 10:28pm On Feb 09, 2009
Gotta Love him!

so now everyone knows TED

Bill Gates, carry go!! grin

(1) (Reply)

Obama Shopping With Taxpayers Money / Nato Bombs Ancient Libya Roman Ruins / 1961, What Do You Think Kennedy And Americans Would Had Done If They Knew?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.