Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,856 members, 7,820,980 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... (1676 Views)

Funke Akindele Jumps For Joy As She Flaunts Her Sneakers / Meet Dr.pastor Paul Enenche's Beautiful Daughter, Debee [PHOTOS] / Super Model Oluchi Orlandi Was At AMVCA, Ramsey Nouah Can’t Hide His Surprise (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by fabulous986: 10:55am On May 12, 2015
Meet Dr. Kanye West.
On Monday, the 37-year-old rapper - whose debut album was titled The College Dropout - received an honorary doctoral degree from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, at its annual commencement.
Kanye couldn't hid his joy as he took to the podium at the university - known as one of the most prestigious schools for art in the country - but hilariously wiped the smile off his face when he posed backstage.

The moment clearly met a great deal to Kanye, whose late mother Dr. Donda West was a Professor of English at Clark Atlanta University, later becoming the Chair of the English Department at Chicago State University.

Now officially known as Dr. West, Kanye began his speech by saying: 'I am a pop artist, so my medium is public opinion, and the world is my canvas,'
He then made the audience laugh as he poked fun at his unapologetic behavior (that has seen him storm the stage at two different award ceremonies, defending the singer Beyoncé over the years).

'"I'm sorry" is something that you can use a lot. It gives you the opportunity to give your opinion, apologize for it, and give your opinion again,' adding: 'You should not be sorry for your opinions!'
Kanye was not accompanied by his wife Kim Kardashian, 34, for the event, who had flown to Brazil to promote her new book, Selfish.
Kanye – who infamously criticized George W. Bush during a Hurricane Katrina telethon in 2005 – made the audience laugh as he told them the former President has some ‘very cool self-portraits’ adding ‘I didn’t know he was an artist.’

The university told Complex that the honorary doctorate given to Kanye is for 'influential individuals' who earned 'this distinguished award through their work, which is always imaginative and aesthetically rich, and sometimes also provocative and controversial, shifting the cultural landscape in significant ways.'
Previous honorary doctorates at the institution include Patti Smith, Jeff Koons, David Sedaris and Chicago artist Theaster Gates.

KANYE WEST'S SPEECH IN FULL
'I am a pop artist. So my medium is public opinion and the world is my canvas. 'I’m sorry' is something that you can use a lot, it gives you the opportunity to give your opinion, apologize for it, and give you opinion again (laughs). You should not be sorry for your opinions!'
'George Bush (pauses as the audience laugh) has some very cool self-portraits. I didn't know he was an artist.'
'I felt my nerves a bit and I don’t feel that feeling a lot. The nerves of humility and modesty when being honoured, a humanization, a reality, of being recognized, and all I thought as I sit here kinda shaking a little bit, is, I need to get rid of that feeling! I need to not be nervous.'
'This honor is gonna make your lives easier. Two reasons; you don’t have to defend me as much (laughs) and, I’m gonna make all of our lives easier. And it’s these Floyd Mayweather belts that are needed to prove what I've been saying my entire life. Where there's the co-sign of Paul McCartney grabbing me, and saying ‘It’s OK, he doesn't bite white people’ or The New York Times cover, or the Time most influential cover. And now a doctorate at The Art institute of Chicago. When I was giving a lecture at Oxford, I brought up this school because when I went on that mission to create in other spaces, apparel, film, performance, it would have been easier if I could have said that I had a degree at the Art Institute of Chicago. Thank you.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by CountDracula(m): 10:59am On May 12, 2015
There's Nthng money can't do
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by OracleMxNelson(m): 11:00am On May 12, 2015
Seun, is this going to the promised land?
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Nobody: 11:00am On May 12, 2015
LOL... Dr West? @ops, Abeg make I park my bicycle first. grin
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Nobody: 11:02am On May 12, 2015
CountDracula:
There's Nthng money can't do
its not about money here bro, they have their reason for given him the award.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by CountDracula(m): 11:04am On May 12, 2015
sameer1212:
its not about money here bro, they have their reason for given him the award.
And u knw dis because ure part of d team dt accredited him ryt? Do u knw wat people do bfor dey get doctorates? Do u even hav any idea?
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Nobody: 11:10am On May 12, 2015
CountDracula:

And u knw dis because ure part of d team dt accredited him ryt? Do u knw wat people do bfor dey get doctorates? Do u even hav any idea?
Damn! And u think every university is like a nigerian universities? Look, even in naija, its not in all universities money can buy Doctorates. Is he the only rich guy? Man u have to think again

2 Likes

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Shortyy(f): 11:11am On May 12, 2015
lmao.. i still love you, Kanye.
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by CountDracula(m): 11:12am On May 12, 2015
sameer1212:
Damn! And u think every university is like a nigerian universities? Look, even in naija, its not in all universities money can buy Doctorates. Is he the only rich guy? Man u have to think again
D way ur english is givin me headache tells me a lot abt u!

1 Like

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Nobody: 11:26am On May 12, 2015
CountDracula:

D way ur english is givin me headache tells me a lot abt u!
LOL...so u don't understand what I wrote Mr English Language? People like u who claim to be perfectionist on nairaland are the dullest any one can ever come across. Are we in english class? U typed nonsense and could not defend it, then u are looking for a way out. Carry face commot for here joor. Mtchewww.

1 Like

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by CountDracula(m): 11:28am On May 12, 2015
sameer1212:
LOL...so u don't understand what I wrote Mr English Language? People like u who claim to be perfectionist on nairaland are the dullest any one can ever come across. Are we in english class? U typed nonsense and could not defend it, then u are looking for a way out. Carry face commot for here joor. Mtchewww.
Defend? Wat am I defendin? I'm sorry u feel dat way... Bt its nt abt bein a perfectionist really, its abt u learnin fvckin english

1 Like

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Nobody: 11:35am On May 12, 2015
CountDracula:

Defend? Wat am I defendin? I'm sorry u feel dat way... Bt its nt abt bein a perfectionist really, its abt u learnin fvckin english
Oh my GOD and u think I don't understand English? Or it because I type with pigin sometimes? Well, its not your fault.
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by CountDracula(m): 11:37am On May 12, 2015
sameer1212:
Oh my GOD and u think I don't understand English? Or it because I type with pigin sometimes? Well, its not your fault.
Of course its nt my fault... Hw cud it ever b my fault? Ure d one who's mixing verbs wit pronouns and making a sentence dats too jibberish to read
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Nobody: 11:39am On May 12, 2015
CountDracula:

Of course its nt my fault... Hw cud it ever b my fault? Ure d one who's mixing verbs wit pronouns and making a sentence dats too jibberish to read
LOL... Replying u is big waste of time...
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by CountDracula(m): 11:42am On May 12, 2015
sameer1212:
LOL... Replying u is big waste of time...
As if u hav smthng better to do... Better go and learn english language bfor ur situation bcoms too embarassing, at dis jet age u stil can't say a whole sentence without errors
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by seankafor(m): 11:47am On May 12, 2015
someone just moved to the next level and some peeps above me re hear exposing their oduor from their mouth

1 Like

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by SAMBARRY: 12:02pm On May 12, 2015
Congratulations Dr West

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 12, 2015
Those people implying that he bought a doctorate are just simply amazing. It takes a lot of talent and a good dose of "bad belle" to come to such conclusion. How can anyone possibly have something negative to say after reading this?
He was not given a degree in medicine or a doctorate in psycholgy. He was given a honorary doctorate!!! This article clearly stated the reason for that
fabulous986:

The university told Complex that the honorary doctorate given to Kanye is for 'influential individuals' who earned 'this distinguished award through their work, which is always imaginative and aesthetically rich, and sometimes also provocative and controversial, shifting the cultural landscape in significant ways.
Guy clearly worked hard, is successful and influential.
Abeg no let bad belle kill you!!
Congrats Dr. West.

2 Likes

Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by iamrealdeji(m): 12:43pm On May 12, 2015
CountDracula:

don't mind the naive child
Re: Meet Dr. West! Kanye Can't Hide His Joy As He Receives Honorary Doctorate...... by gbegbs: 3:42pm On May 12, 2015
Can any one say wats on the white people in picture 3 mind? I think d guy is thinking wtf where was I wen dey were making dis decesion ND d women is like gaaaaaademmm I can't watch this train wreck anymore second. grin grin grin oya wat do u think?

(1) (Reply)

Chrissy Teigen & John Legend Share Selfies From Their Bed [photos] / Nicki Minaj & Lil Wayne Releases Viral S*x Video Online Today (MUST WATCH) / Please Help! A ‘runs Girl’ Is In Love With Me ….what Should I Do?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.