Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,402 members, 7,822,842 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 05:55 PM

Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions (13871 Views)

The Modalities For 2016/2017 Admission Processes Into Higher Institutions / Why Do Nigerian Higher Intitution Students Speak Pidgin Instead Of English? / Top 10 Methods Of Exam. Malpractice In Nigerian Higher Institutions. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by mrpackager(m): 4:20pm On May 12, 2015
There are about 1.4 million young Nigerians who are
waiting to hear that word congratulations; waiting to
receive an admission letter that begins with it.
Sadly, only about 700,000 of these students will
receive the good news. But getting admission into
the tertiary institution is just a tip of the iceberg.
The sad fate of students, who have been unable to
complete their tertiary education for reasons
ranging from peer pressure, cultism, drugs and
alcohol abuse to pure laziness should serve as an
example to fresh students, but this is not always
the case.
Many fresh students still fall victims of these vices.
Some other times, challenges could be as minor as
the most affordable way to get food or the best
ways to save your money.

Living conditions
Reports say that only about 25 % of Nigerian
University students live on campus. This means
that for every student who lives on campus, there
are three others who face the stressful task of
commuting to and from school every day.
Staying off campus isn’t just stressful, it could
sometimes be dangerous. Most incidents of campus
violence usually take place off campus.
But if you can’t make the 25%, and need to stay in
an off campus hostel, don’t be alarmed.
However, ensure that you do your best to
investigate your off campus hostel. What sort of
people stay there? What’s the security like? Be sure
to begin searching as soon as possible to get the
best deals available. If you need to share rent and
board with someone else, do your best to find out
about your future roommate’s character.

Choose friends wisely
You have probably heard it time and time again that
bad company corrupts good manners. It might
sound like a cliché to you; but it’s probably ageless
because it’s true. No, you will not get special
grades for making friends with the most popular
people on campus. So don’t be so desperate that
you can do anything for
friendships.
Take out time to pick friends that can spur you on
morally and academically. Remember that although
campus streets may sometimes seem like a movie
set, you’re there to get a BSc, not an Oscar for
‘Best Friendship on set.’

Start studying on time
It could be pretty overwhelming when you get into
school for the first time. There are lots of new
places to learn about…let the library being one of
them.
Apart from registration and some periodic
orientation programmes, your first few weeks will
be the freest you’ll ever be in your schooling career.

Too early for trouble
There are so many things you need to prove when
you get into school. That you can break the rules
and get away with it is not one of them. The thing
about trouble is that your record tends to stay with
you and put you into more and more trouble. If you
don’t know the rules and regulations of the
institution you are about to enter, find out, and if
you can’t take the heat, don’t take the admission.
Ask any parent; it’s more honourable to have a child
stay at home than to have him expelled or
suspended.

Watch your pocketcheesy
Cut your cloth according to your size. Don’t spend
money because other people are doing the same.
Budget properly before spending a kobo;
appropriate for giving, spending and saving.
Activism with caution
Of course, you should not hesitate to fight for your
rights. But be sure to do so within the rules and
regulations of your institution, and without violence
and threats.

This Boyfriend-Girlfriend thinggrin
On campus, you will most likely be surrounded by
more members of the opposite sex than you have
ever been in your entire life. The choice whether or
not to enter a relationship as soon as you get into
school is yours. But bear in mind that you should
get your priorities right, right from the start.

source: http://myschool.com.ng/school/news/36400/advice-to-freshers-in-nigerian-higher-institutions.html
cc
lalasticlala
fynestboi
ipledge
tosyne2much babagrin
cowleg

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by Tomibyte(m): 4:24pm On May 12, 2015
Confam jare. Op u head dey there scatter
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by ispeaklight(m): 4:38pm On May 12, 2015
Informative
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by Vivly(f): 4:44pm On May 12, 2015
Lists never ends on NL. Who is the paymaster?
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by damiloladuke: 4:45pm On May 12, 2015
read your book, that's all.

READ MY SIGNATURE
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by amokeme(f): 4:45pm On May 12, 2015
Wish I took the point 5 seriously when I was in year 1 cry
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by lilmax(m): 4:45pm On May 12, 2015
Use your brain, thats all
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by cutekenneth(m): 4:46pm On May 12, 2015
op, u are so on point u deserve a medal

3 Likes

Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by tohpahz(f): 4:46pm On May 12, 2015
smiley
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by generaluthman: 4:47pm On May 12, 2015
Nice 1
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by msmon(m): 4:47pm On May 12, 2015
Ok...! I will forward this to that naughty girl in my street.

"I Regret Returning To Lagos"; Herbalist Turned Armed Robber Explains His Ordeal

www.nairaland.com/2309105/regret-returning-lagos-herbalist-turned

It' a MUST READ
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by herex(m): 4:48pm On May 12, 2015
Thumbs up
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by abduldope(m): 4:48pm On May 12, 2015
some wont still listen despite this
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 12, 2015
Just buy air freshener....

3 Likes

Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by millionboi(m): 4:48pm On May 12, 2015
Buhari as d New president of Nigeria maybe 1 chance
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by Tenim47(m): 4:50pm On May 12, 2015
generaluthman:
Nice 1
. . . Chase im away nd spreads mat
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by mrpackager(m): 4:50pm On May 12, 2015
tohpahz:
smiley

DEAR HOW YHU DOINGwink
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by XVIER(m): 4:50pm On May 12, 2015
In your first semester as a fresher, if you have carry over pls note that it's not the end of first class or second class upper. Most fresh student don't understand this and don't even know how to calculate CGPA. And of all read hard cos it's not secondary school.

1 Like

Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by abduldope(m): 4:50pm On May 12, 2015
A$aP Rocky was performing in Germany when a fan reportedly stole his rare Supreme hat while the rapper was in the crowd for A$AP Ferg’s “Work Remix”. Once Rocky realized his hat was gone, he immediately addressed the crowd : “Who took my shiit?” ASAP asked the crowd. “I came to party with y’all, give me my hat so I can [continue]. That’s a one-of-a-kind hat,” he added. “We ain’t gonna fvck you up, just give me my shiit back.” Watching one fan exit, A$AP told security with his microphone, “Yo, stop that guy over there from leavin’…don’t let nobody leave.” The hat still did not return to the stage.” After the hat wasn’t returned, ASAP got a little heated with the crowd: “It’s either that, or I ain’t partyin’ in this mothafuvka anymore.” The requests and warnings continued, until a promoter translated to the German crowd. The crowd chanted “bring it back” to no avail.“Nobody know nothin’, huh?” asked A$AP. Once he realized the hate was gone, A$AP had enough and addressed the crowd for the final time that night stating, “Germany, it’s been good. Thank you; I’m out this biitch. Peace!”
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by centjamie(m): 4:51pm On May 12, 2015
Educative....you have done noble Op.
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by tohpahz(f): 4:52pm On May 12, 2015
mrpackager:

DEAR HOW YHU DOINGwink

Am okay dear.. Hope u good??
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by cilifa: 4:52pm On May 12, 2015
hmmmmm.
the ones that will still go astray will.
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by Christyanna(f): 4:53pm On May 12, 2015
On point...

cheesy
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by An2elect2(f): 4:54pm On May 12, 2015
stale
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by WisdomCanada(m): 4:54pm On May 12, 2015
tohpahz:
smiley
are u in Abia?
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by prettyjo(f): 4:55pm On May 12, 2015
very true
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by okooloyun1(m): 4:55pm On May 12, 2015
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by Nobody: 4:55pm On May 12, 2015
Free them

When they fail, they will pick sense
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by Enny1010(m): 4:55pm On May 12, 2015
Make I first drink dis cold water
Re: Advice To Freshers In Nigerian Higher Institutions by adedam007(m): 4:55pm On May 12, 2015
T

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UTME Not For Admission, But For Ranking - Oloyede / NUC Plans First Nigerian Universities Ranking In 14 Years / Neco Result Checker 2015/2016 CHECKER : Www.mynecoexams.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.