Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,245 members, 7,822,269 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption (21966 Views)

Nairalander Bags First Class And Two Awards In UNIZIK. / Father Beats His Daughter's Boyfriend In UNIZIK For Being Abusive - See Photos / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by nairaarea: 4:42pm On May 12, 2015
By Vincent Ujumadu
Awka- TENSION is mounting at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Awka following a letter addressed to the Vice Chancellor of the university, Professor Joseph Ahaneku by the president of the Students Union Government, SUG, Mr. Noble Eyisi over some perceived anomalies in the institution.

As the students were circulating the letter in the campus,Tuesday, security operatives tried as much as they could to mop up the document, but it was late as most people in the university community had got copies of it.

In the letter, several allegations were leveled against the VC by the SUG, most of which bordering on corrupt tendencies.

For instance, the SUG alleged that for the first time, Year 1 students were asked to pay the sum of N7500 for what the school management called ‘Biometric Capturing fee’, adding that with about 6000 students admitted this session paying the amount, the sum of N45 million was collected and wondered what the money has been used for .

The students’ union president also demanded to know how the students union dues paid annually were utilized because, according to him, the students who are the sole owners of the money have been demanding to know how much is in the account.

Other demands of the students include reasons behind the hike of the post-UME fee from N1000 to N2000 by the present management of the university, why the management objected to the food price of N150 per plate initiated by the SUG, why SUG officials were not paid allowances as obtainable in other tertiary institutions and why the VC initiates and carries out policies that directly affect the students without consulting them.

The letter said: “Our dear VC, the students are the bedrock of any university. We demand that you take us as your utmost priority. As this is a federal institution and in view of the trending change and zero corruption in Nigeria through our president –elect, General Muhammadu Buhari, we demand a transparent system and a complete students- oriented government.”

Source: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/05/tension-in-unizik-as-sug-president-queries-vc-on-alleged-corruption/

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by shakazuldadon: 4:42pm On May 12, 2015
Mind

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by nairaarea: 4:44pm On May 12, 2015
We Need An Ambulance- Students of College of Health Sciences, Nnewi Cry Out

Approximately fourteen years after the ugly fire incident that left not less than nine medical students dead on the 9th of May, 2001 at the College of health sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi campus, the students still mourn and remember their departed colleagues.

Some lives could have been saved in the unfortunate incident according to the president, Students Association Government of the college, Comrade Jennifer Ikediugwu Jordan, if the school had a functional ambulance as the one available broke down on the road while conveying the victims to the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi.

The students came out en masse on Friday, May 8 to commemorate the death of their fellow students. In his remarks, the chair of the occasion and Dean, Faculty of Medicine, Dr. Ebele Ugochukwu describing the incident as unfortunate advised the students on the need for better safety ethics in their hostels and homes so as to avert any reoccurrence of the sad incident.

In a sober reflection, an eye witness to the ill fated incident who simply identified herself as mama Ozi gave an account of what really transpired on the tragic day expressing disappointment on the fact that fourteen years later, the campus remains without a functional ambulance.

Delivering the memorial lecture at the event, Revd. Fr. Dr. Maurice Izunwa who spoke on selflessness as exhibited by one of the victims, Chinedu Chukwuneke who defied the fire in a bid to saving other persons trapped in the hostel during the inferno. He urged the students to emulate the late hero who showed an uncommon gallantry, laying his life for others.

Also speaking at the event, the Dean of Students Affairs of the university, Prof. Ken Nworgu described the memorial as a selfless venture stating that it's better remembered dead but effective than playing away one's time while alive. He added that the victims died for a course urging the students to keep steadfast with such kind of selfless commitment. He promised to take the request of an ambulance by the students to the school management.

Also addressing the students, the President Students Union Government of the institution, Comrade Noble Eyisi gave the reason for participating in the memorial as a way of lending support to the students in Nnewi campus stating that all the students of the university are one and as such should be seen and heard as one. Comrade Eyisi promised to carry the students along in his administration while expressing hopes that with a good synergy, the request for a new ambulance would be pursued vigorously.

While lamenting over the poor learning environment of the college, comrade Jordan said, "College of Health Sciences Nnamdi Azikiwe University Nnewi Campus has existed for so many years now, producing seasoned medical practitioners who have been saving lives all over the world but yet our own lives as students during these rigorous trainings have lost value in the eyes of our leaders! We have been terribly neglected for years. The entire students of this great College cry out with one voice. We need help
High points of the event were beautiful renditions and drama presentation by the students. There was also a procession to the monument to pay respects to the fallen heroes. Shortly after the procession, one of the students and M.C, Miss Millicent Ekwudo seized the opportunity to reverberate the abysmal state of the school's only functioning ambulance and to appeal to the school authority to heed our cry for help and come to their aid in providing that which is pertinent to sustaining and securing the life of students in the campus, a plea that was backed up by every single student present as they echoed " we need an ambulance".

ABOUT THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES, UNIZIK OKOFIA NNEWI
College of health sciences, Nnamdi Azikiwe University, Nnewi campus is a relatively unknown branch of UNIZIK with a population of about 3000 students with 3 faculties, eight departments and just about 8 classrooms. Students lamented that this catastrophic shortage of classrooms make it difficult for students to receive lectures. Students even have to jump through window while hustling for a space in class while others who cannot struggle, receive lectures through the windows. A particular student also said 340 students were recently admitted into the college to study environmental health sciences without any classroom to accommodate that number. It was a common sight to see students studying under the few trees on the campus. The road inside the school premises is been constructed at a very slow pace. The road leading to the college is also in a terrible state, sport facilities are dilapidated. We hope to get more information about the happenings in this college soon. Students also complained about the abandoned CBN hostel which is opposite the school gate, poor electricity supply.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/unizikNEWS/posts/812090425535116

1 Like

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Emperoradrian(m): 4:50pm On May 12, 2015
Dat SUG na goat o

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Young03(m): 4:54pm On May 12, 2015
Person above me called the SUG goat...hmm i pity illiterate like him

124 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by themilanway(m): 4:56pm On May 12, 2015
Emperoradrian:
Dat SUG na goat o

How?

17 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by meforyou1(m): 5:00pm On May 12, 2015
Young03:
How is d guy a goat?

8 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Young03(m): 5:02pm On May 12, 2015
Read wat the poster b4 me said
meforyou1:
How is d guy a goat?

8 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by meforyou1(m): 5:08pm On May 12, 2015
Young03:
Read wat the poster b4 me said
Sorry didn't mean to quote u. It's d guy above u that I wanted to quote

2 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by doctokwus: 5:08pm On May 12, 2015
He has been emboldened by his belief that corruption will soon be a fight everyone,not just gmb now,wants to eradicate from our society.
I expect many more of such bold moves by individuals in govt establishments, institutions and corporations after May 29.
Change has indeed come!

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Emperoradrian(m): 5:10pm On May 12, 2015
themilanway:

How?
he bcame a foolish black goat d day he pronounced dat keke anywhr around sch will b #20 instead of d normal 30 bucks and nw he wants a plate of fud to b sold 4 #150 ...haba wat nw will b d fate and profit of d fud sellers and also d keke drivers,imagine dat d keke man hired d keke and is supposed to bring returns to d keke owner,at d end of d day hw much will he tak home to his family?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Nobody: 5:19pm On May 12, 2015
Mehn, this new vc better tread lightly ooo. the whole school was against his appointment as vc especially the students.
Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Emperoradrian(m): 5:19pm On May 12, 2015
Young03:
guy im a zikite o,a bona fide student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University....so i knw wetin i d talk....dat SUG president na smal boy,abusin d power he was given....d guy d vex me.....

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Sunnymatey(m): 5:34pm On May 12, 2015
How can the VC justify the collection of N7500 in the name of biometric fee. We need EFCC to take over this case. Aluta continua.

15 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Young03(m): 5:39pm On May 12, 2015
But dats not y u shud cal him a goat..he is trying to fight for him and his fellow students..u c d problem we av in ds country

u cant question the authority above u
Emperoradrian:
guy im a zikite o,a bona fide student of Nnamdi Azikiwe University....so i knw wetin i d talk....dat SUG president na smal boy,abusin d power he was given....d guy d vex me.....

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by tupem: 5:59pm On May 12, 2015
Emperoradrian:
Dat SUG na goat o
like you!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by otokx(m): 6:08pm On May 12, 2015
The SUG thieves just want a share of the action, very soon they will become deaf and dumb.

1 Like

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by TIMEISWISDOM(m): 6:56pm On May 12, 2015
Emperoradrian:
Am a zikite too but am ashamed of your comments. They likes of you show that the perceived failure in our educational system is underestimated.

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by nairaarea: 5:06am On May 13, 2015
Ok
Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by nairaarea: 7:38am On May 13, 2015
Seun, afam4eva
Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by okooloyun1(m): 9:26am On May 13, 2015
Ok
Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by loomer: 9:29am On May 13, 2015
Corruption na K for nigeria
Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by iamphilips(m): 9:30am On May 13, 2015
in futa the school authorities are owing over 5000 100level students N35000 each. money for tablet

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by ugodean8485(f): 9:30am On May 13, 2015
I love such daring guts. Nobody should be taken for granted.

11 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Akynzodeighbour(m): 9:30am On May 13, 2015
Let the probing begin.... Buhari don inspire am

1 Like

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Rilwayne001: 9:31am On May 13, 2015
lol
Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Kelklein(m): 9:32am On May 13, 2015
he should be careful with the fingers he bites sha.

now in other news...some brothers wicked small sha. lol

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Nobody: 9:32am On May 13, 2015
If i'm still familiar with naija tactics, this guy will be persecuted and harassed, he ll graduate 10years after his mates

2 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by Tex42(m): 9:32am On May 13, 2015
Emperoradrian:
Dat SUG na goat o
if you don't have something reasonable to say just shut up.

You must not comment you know.

Kids Sha!

16 Likes

Re: Tension In UNIZIK As SUG President Queries VC On Alleged Corruption by generaluthman: 9:32am On May 13, 2015
The president. Get liver o0o0o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lagos City Polytechnic Lecturers Arrested For Exam Malpractice / Nigeria’s Fake Professors List That Turned Out To Be Fake / NECO Releases 2016 Results

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.