Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,457 members, 7,816,068 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:05 AM

The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs (743 Views)

Gaza’s Christians And Muslims Grow Closer In Defiance Of Israeli Attacks / Zuma Calls For Cessation Of Israeli-hamas Hostilities / Dozens Of Israeli Reservists Refuse Tojoin Gaza Foray (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by bawomolo(m): 6:02am On Feb 09, 2009
The purpose of this thread is to shed light on a barely talked about issue which is the 2nd class citizenship of israeli Arabs.  The Israeli government could do better when it comes to equal rights for it's minorities.  These are excerpts from the book, "The Other side of Israel by Susan Nathan" You should try taking a look at it.

Israel makes it virtually impossible for Arabs to live in Jewish communities and other Arab communities are in dire straits, He suggested that the Interior Ministry brief probably had a hidden agenda, one familiar to he Arab population: the maximum number of Arabs on the minimum amount of land. Its reverse is of course the minimum number of Jews on the maximum amount of land. That is why the Jewish communities around Tamra-farming cooperatives and small luxury hilltop settlements like Mitzpe Aviv have been allocated land that once belonged to Tamra. That' also why Tamra's Jewish neighbors have impressive villas with big gardens, often including pools and communal pools. The plan for Tamra, in contrast, envisages ever more crowding in a community already stripped of all public space.

" Nachman Tal, a former deputy head of Shin Bet, found that only six of the thirteen thousand employees of the Israeli Electricity Corporation are Arabs.  A similar number of Arabs are believed to be among the ten thousand people who work for Bezek, the National telecoms company"

I had read that month in Ha'aretz about an official fraud that had been perpetrated in Arab areas for the past year by the Israeli Broadcasting Authority, the national body that regulates the television industry.  The IBA had set up illegal checkpoints at which officials menacingly demanded money from Arab motorists to cover TV licence fee debts, often sums invented on the spot.  More than $5million was taken in this fashion

In the spring a former senior Shin Bet official, Reuven Pax admitted to the paper a long history of Interference in the educational system by the security services: "The Shin Bet not only determined and intervened in the appointment of principals and teachers, but even decided who the custodians and janitors that clean the bathrooms in the Arab schools would be." And later, in the autumn, Ha'aretz reported that the director-general of the Education Ministery, Ronit Tirosh, admitted that the Shin Bet was still approving every appointment to Arab schools and that it has no intention of discontinuing such practices.

Almost all great Palestinian and Arab literature is off limits to Arab pupils.  The spotlight was briefly turned on this issue in 2000, when the former education minister, Yossi sarid, from the left-wing Meretz Party, provoked a huge row by trying to include the most famous Palestinian poet, Mahmoud Darwish on the country's literature courses for Jews.  Although it is now technically possible for Jewish pupils to study Darwish, his writing is still banned from Arab schools.

The school funding figures published by the Central Bureau of Statistics in 2004. Each Arab student in Israel received resources (after teachers salaries had been excluded) of €105 a year, less than a quarter of the €485 spent on Jewish pupils in secular state schools.  The state discriminated yet further in allocations to Jewish religious schools where each pupil was getting resources worth €1340.  The religious schools take a less than enlightened approach to subjects such as modern sciences and issue like women's right.

The entry requirements of Israeli universities are also skewed to favor Jewish over Arab applicants, for example, the matriculation on which the universities base their decision awards extra points to the best student of Hebrew but not to students of Arabic.  The psychometric tests are also weighted in favor of Jewish students, because of their bias towards Western cultural norms.

i have subsequently learned that few Israeli computer systems include Arab communities, because for most Jews they simply don't exist

He told me that one incident was at the front of his mind: the week he was due in court to contest a heavy fine issues by a policeman because Dr.Manna supposedly had a worn type and faulty brakes on his car.  he said that at first the policeman had been courteous when he stopped him for a spot check, but that he had soon grown suspicious, possibly because of Dr. manna's accent when speaking Hebrew, or because of some written material in Arabic he had on the back seat of the car. "The policeman asked to see my driving license. as soon as he saw my name, he dropped the 'sir' and I became simply 'Adel.'" Although the car had only recently passed its annual test, and despite Dr.Manna's protests, the policeman gave him a fine and told him to get the tyre and brakes fixed immediately.  Dr. Manna took the car to a nearby Arab garage in East Jerusalem and asked the mechanical to check it. He could find nothing wrong with it.

There are more in the book.  THis thread isn't to criticize the Israeli Government but ostracizing the Israeli Arab minority isn't the way to achieve peace.  Israel is a young country and has ways to go when it comes to the issue of equality.  The integration of Israeli Arabs into mainstream society is needed for the growth of the country.  Policies like this would only lead to segregation experienced in the United states.  Finally, secularism and religious tolerance is needed in solving the problems of the Middle East.  And get the damn book  grin
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by Lagosboy: 11:59am On Feb 09, 2009
On the contrary the Jews in Iran live a full citizen and dignified status.

The jews in morrocco live like royals and there are jews in the Royal place holding key postions that the great grand fathers have held till date.

The jews always found sancturay in the islamic nations , even when the whole world were persecuting them they found security under then then Ottoman empire.

An arab party was banned in the israeli elections and they talk of integration and peace. How else do the arabs in israel want to show their willingness to integrate if not by participating in the political process. 20% of the population are Arabs and they are not treated with respect even though they are citizens so how would the palestinians be accorded any respect.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by RichyBlacK(m): 5:18pm On Feb 09, 2009
Where are those that have been blinded by that dirty organization called AIPAC? Israel remains an Apartheid State!
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by RichyBlacK(m): 5:41pm On Feb 09, 2009
bawomolo:

The purpose of this thread is to shed light on a barely talked about issue which[b] is the 2nd class citizenship of israeli Arabs[/b].  The Israeli government could do better when it comes to equal rights for it's minorities.  These are excerpts from the book, "The Other side of Israel by Susan Nathan" You should try taking a look at it.

There are more in the book.  THis thread isn't to criticize the Israeli Government but ostracizing the Israeli Arab minority isn't the way to achieve peace.  Israel is a young country and has ways to go when it comes to the issue of equality.  The integration of Israeli Arabs into mainstream society is needed for the growth of the country.  [size=14pt]Policies like this would only lead to segregation experienced in the United states.[/size]  Finally, secularism and religious tolerance is needed in solving the problems of the Middle East.  And get the damn book  grin

Exactly! The oppression of non-Europeans by Europeans was the earliest form of oppression in America (starting with the Native Americans), and the drunkards and scalawags in Tel-Aviv, being Europeans, have continued this tradition of oppression. This wicked subjugation is even more disgusting when you consider the religious overtone it has.

Yes, more predominantly-Muslim nations should allow for more religious tolerance and freedom, e.g. US-backed barbaric Saudi Arabia and her highly intolerant policies towards non-Muslims and even towards non-Arabs, however, why should allegedly "more enlightened people" base their principles on the inferior models of nations ruled by tyrants? Israel wants the world to view it as being part of this group of "more enlightened people", however, its policies (internal and external) reveal its true nature!

@bawomolo,

I'm glad you're realizing what some of us have been complaining about.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by NegroNtns(m): 6:54pm On Feb 09, 2009
What you both stated is true but I want to point out that we should be careful with interchanging the terms Jews and Zionist loosely for what we know to be obvious.

You said Jews are accomodated in Islamic communities. True and you can find the reason for that in the Quran. The Quran accomodates Christians and Jews but it admonishes against taking for friends those who profess Judaism and Christianity with their tongues but plot evil against you in the dark _ the hypocrites. You can identify hypocrites in all three religions. You have them in Judaism in Christianity and even in Islam.

No one can deny that an Islamic scholar (Mullah) who condemns a woman to death and had her executed simply for not covering her head is a hypocrite and has transgressed against God. Such a person or people are not fit to live amongst Muslims. This was the way of Taliban with their extremities and the reason why, long before America declared them to be enemies, Iran had condemned their regime and atrocities and was instrumental, inspite of differences with USA, in overthrowing Taliban from power and recommending Karzai to Bush. So it's not only Christians and Jews that the Quran speak against, it speaks against people like Taliban as well and even though they profess Islamic faith it is not accepted of them on account of transgression against humanity. There is another Taliban and is called Zionism.

Judaism is the religious face of the children of Israel and so while they are commonly called Jews, I just want to point to the demarcating line between a Jew and a Zionist so we can refrain from associating the atrocities of Zionism wrongly. The difference between Zionist and Taliban is Zionists do not kill their own people, they kill and transgress against other people on behalf of their own people. They infilterate social institutions and entrench semitism as the popular and mainstream brand. If you speak against any semitic interest then you are labeled as anti-semite and even if your critique was truthful your image is portrayed as distasteful and pro-Nazi, never mind that you hate Hitler and all he stood for.

I am positive that Iran, Morrocco and other Muslim countries will never accomodate Zionists or their agenda even though they respect the Jewish faith and accomodate its free practice on their soil.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by bawomolo(m): 8:51pm On Feb 09, 2009
Lagosboy:

On the contrary the Jews in Iran live a full citizen and dignified status.

The jews in morrocco live like royals and there are jews in the Royal place holding key postions that the great grand fathers have held till date.

The jews always found sancturay in the islamic nations , even when the whole world were persecuting them they found security under then then Ottoman empire.

i disagree with you on this, Jews were victims of pogroms from Islamic countries after the independence declaration of 1948. It would be myopic to claim jews don't face discrimination in this countries.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by Nobody: 8:54pm On Feb 09, 2009
bawomolo:

i disagree with you on this, Jews were victims of pogroms from Islamic countries after the independence declaration of 1948. It would be myopic to claim jews don't face discrimination in this countries.

One needs look no further than Jordan which is completely Jew-free according to the law, Egypt, Syria and Lebanon. The problem with the Jordanian laws is that Jordan is 50% palestinian (the rest being immigrants from Saudi Arabia and environs with absolutely NO links to the palestine they inherit today - yeah blame the jews for occupation) . . . if "palestinians" became the majority in Israel it is not unimaginable that such a law could be adopted to force jews out of Israel as we know it today . . . essentially the doctrine of HAMAS.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by RichyBlacK(m): 12:08am On Feb 10, 2009
Negro_Ntns:

There is another Taliban and is called Zionism.

I am positive that Iran, Morrocco and other Muslim countries will never accomodate Zionists or their agenda even though they respect the Jewish faith and accomodate its free practice on their soil.

Negro,

I concur. Zionists are to Judaism as the Taliban/al-qaeda are to Islam. They're all barbaric extremist entities and must be condemned. The West tolerate Zionism because of Holocaust guilt. Maybe if 6 million Muslims are massacred, they'll get similar sympathy from the West; who knows?
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by Nobody: 12:10am On Feb 10, 2009
i notice the goons just sailed over the truths i posted to continue bleating about irrelevancies.

Judaism may be a "taliban" but it isnt a threat to any other nation nor its own people except those for whom the destruction of the jews is a religious obligation.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by RichyBlacK(m): 2:13am On Feb 10, 2009
davidylan:

i notice the goons just sailed over the truths i posted to continue bleating about irrelevancies.

Judaism may be a "taliban" but it isnt a threat to any other nation nor its own people except those for whom the destruction of the jews is a religious obligation.

You've come with your spin. Where did anyone compare Judaism with the Taliban? Those comparable to the Taliban are Zionists. And Zionism is not Judaism!
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by Nobody: 2:15am On Feb 10, 2009
error pls substitute judaism for zionism and read my question again.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by Lagosboy: 9:19am On Feb 10, 2009
bawomolo:

What i meant was pre 1948, you would notice i made reference to the ottaman empire.

The whole problems started after the declatration of the state of Israel on the British mandate of Palestine. Before the creation of state there was no problem and the muslims and jews lived side by side in peace and harmony.

The animosity is just like what we get in Africa and india, when the british created bounderies and amalgamations it was all a recipe for chaos and many countries still suffer tribal,racial and boundary clashes till today. Nigeria is an example as people still agitate for separation of the tribes. In india it is the same , even Bangladesh it is the same not forget the ethnic Bengals in Myanmir.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by Nobody: 3:34pm On Feb 10, 2009
Lagosboy:

What i meant was pre 1948, you would notice i made reference to the ottaman empire.

Containing a minority is not the same thing as "living in peace" as full citizens of the state. Pre-1948 Jews were scandalously second class citizens in most arab states. These are facts.

Lagosboy:

The whole problems started after the declatration of the state of Israel on the British mandate of Palestine. Before the creation of state there was no problem and the muslims and jews lived side by side in peace and harmony.

You must be delusional but let me refresh your memory:

- Hebron Massacre 1929
- 1936–1939 Arab revolt (this is particularly funny since the arabs themselves were Syrian immigrants).

1. One thing that must not be missed is that there was NO arab state on the land that was officially recognized as the jewish state in 1948. Names like Jerusalem, Hebron, Nazareth did not suddenly appear in 1948.

Lagosboy:

The animosity is just like what we get in Africa and india, when the british created bounderies and amalgamations it was all a recipe for chaos and many countries still suffer tribal,racial and boundary clashes till today. Nigeria is an example as people still agitate for separation of the tribes. In india it is the same , even Bangladesh it is the same not forget the ethnic Bengals in Myanmir.

Comparing apples with oranges here.
Re: The Government Sponsored Discrimination Of Israeli Arabs by blackspade(m): 6:34pm On Feb 10, 2009
RichyBlacK:

Negro,

I concur. Zionists are to Judaism as the Taliban/al-qaeda are to Islam. They're all barbaric extremist entities and must be condemned. The West tolerate Zionism because of Holocaust guilt. Maybe if 6 million Muslims are massacred, they'll get similar sympathy from the West; who knows?
+1

My sentiments exactly.

(1) (Reply)

South African Satellite Launch Likely To Be Held Back / 1961, What Do You Think Kennedy And Americans Would Had Done If They Knew? / Rising Incomes And Investors In Heavenly Match-up In Nigeria By Dianna Games,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.