Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,156 members, 7,811,317 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:10 AM

Man Who Married His Childhood Sweetheart After Being Diagnosed With Terminal Can - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Man Who Married His Childhood Sweetheart After Being Diagnosed With Terminal Can (942 Views)

Ubi Franklin Buys A Car For Ominiotah, His Childhood Friend (Photos) / Comedian Bovi Shares His Childhood Photos / Janet Jackson Being Diagnosed For Throat Cancer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Who Married His Childhood Sweetheart After Being Diagnosed With Terminal Can by love2nicee: 4:27am On May 15, 2015
Man who married his childhood sweetheart after being diagnosed with terminal cancer sparks touching social media campaign urging people to make the most out of life
http://sabi9ja..com/2015/05/man-who-married-his-childhood.html

Just the beginning: Shalin asked Frances to go to Homecoming with him by making her a bouquet of paper flowers. The attended posed for this photo at the dance in 2009

A 22-year-old man with terminal cancer is spending his last days on earth inspiring others to appreciate the gift of life, after marrying his high school sweetheart last month despite his diagnosis.
Shalin Shah, from San Diego, California, shared his poignant message and reflected on his experience in a powerful letter published by the Huffington Post. He wrote of living his life to the fullest after he was diagnosed with stage IV synovial sarcoma, and, on April 24, the recent college graduate married Frances Chen, the love of his life. A few weeks later, doctors have given him only days to live. And while Shalin continues to fight for his life, he wanted to thank those who have been touched by his words.

'Thank you so much for the support. I really hope that you have been genuinely inspired and that I have helped you appreciate life more,' he told Daily Mail Online. 'That means the world to me. If I can say that I have done that for others, I would be so proud of myself.'

True love: Shalin Shah (R), from San Diego, California, married his high school sweetheart Frances Chen (L) nearly three months after he was told his rare and aggressive form of cancer was terminal

Special bond: The 22-year-old, who can be seen kissing his new wife, was diagnosed with stage IV synovial sarcoma last August after he fell extremely ill during his Peace Corps training in Peru

Shalin’s new wife Frances added that her husband, who she has known she they were teenagers, has always been passionate about helping others, noting that he was constantly fundraising for different fundraisers and figuring out how to best serve people as a student at the University of Southern California.

'He's never been interested in a corporate nine-to-five job,' she said, explaining that it was no surprise to her when he decided to join the Peace Corps after graduating from college.

Shalin was training for high Peace Corps service in Peru last August when he started to feel ill but it wasn’t until he underwent a CT scan that he discovered that his cough, difficulty breathing and pain in his rib all stemmed from a six inch mass in his chest.

After returning to the US, he was diagnosed with stage IV synovial sarcoma, an extremely rare and aggressive form of cancer. On February 5, he was told that he only had six to nine months to live.

All smiles: Shalin walked down the aisle with his new wife as their family and friends celebrated their marriage

Perfect day: Frances, who can be seen walking down the aisle with her father, said their wedding wasn't a 'sad event at all'. Instead, it was a celebration of life.

Although the news left him sobbing uncontrollably, he recalled in his letter how an 'overwhelming calm' had swept over him. He would no longer have to worry if he was going to live or die. His question was already answered.
'Now I just had to focus on living out the rest of my life to the fullest and put all of my energy on having an awesome time enjoying the best of what life has to offer while leaving behind a positive footprint and legacy,' he wrote.
Last month, Peace Corps Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet traveled to California to visit Shalin after hearing his inspiring story to swear him in as a Peace Corps volunteer.
Shalin was touched and humbled by the unexpected gesture.

Full of love: Shalin smiled while reading the words he had written to Frances
'It was an honor for me,' he added to Daily Mail Online. 'They went above and beyond their protocol to accommodate me, It was really cool.'
And while a terminal illness undoubtedly has the potential to pull any young couple apart, in Shalin's case it has only helped to bring him and Frances that much closer to one another.
'We had to go through a lot together,' Frances explained. 'It really allowed us to appreciate every single moment together.'
Frances admitted that she was shocked when she first found out about Shalin being diagnosed with cancer, but she explained that, for her, the most important thing was to be there for him, 'making sure he had a really strong support system'.

Hand in hand: Frances and Shalin couldn't take their eyes off each other during their first dance

Frances recalled asking him what he was doing because it was unsafe for him to be kneeling. After he pulled out a ring and she said yes, their friends wasted no time in capturing the moment on camera.
'It was such a perfect moment, such a perfect day,' she said.
And their wedding day was just as special.
Frances said one of her favorite moments was celebrating their love with their family and friends.
'It wasn't a sad event of all. It was just full of love,' she said of her April 24 nuptials.

Party time: The newlyweds had a great time dancing with their family and friends at their wedding reception

Support system: The newlyweds struck a pose with their friends after their wedding ceremony

Together, Shalin and Frances have been busy celebrating the time he has left, ensuring that they are taking advantage of every moment they have to spend together.

When Frances was unable to get tickets to Coachella, one of the experiences on Shalin's bucket list, she wrote a letter to the organisers explaining his situation. Not only were they given VIP passes, Shalin was also able to meet his idol, Usher.
'I can't even describe to you how awesome it was meeting him in person,' Shalin said. 'He is seriously my idol. It was a dream come true.'
Another one of Shalin's dreams was making Frances his wife.

The two were enjoying a day at the beach with a couple of their friends when they headed to a balcony watch the sunset. Shalin, who was in a wheelchair at the time, stood up saying that he wanted to take a picture. But instead he got down on one knee.

Celebration of love: Shalin and Frances can be see sharing a toast at their reception

Best friends: Frances and Shalin took a selfie in Scotland during one of their many travel adventures

Shalin and Frances even had a pinata at their wedding, which they broke after they said their vows because they 'wanted to get the party started'.

'Getting married [and] being able to celebrate our love with our family and friends all together, it was wonderful,' Frances said.

The two started dating during their senior year of high school, and even at such a young age, Shalin was a romantic; he even asked Frances to homecoming with a bouquet of paper flowers.

Frances added that, when it came time to decide on what colleges to attend, they vowed not to let their relationship prevent the other from going to their dream school, but as fate would have it USC ended up being the perfect fit for both of them.

Special occasion: Frances and Shalin went to their senior prom together in 2010

Good times: Shalin and Frances laughed while taking this selfie

During college, they both traveled abroad, both together and independently. Frances went to Vienna the semester before Shalin left for Paris. But even though they were apart for much of the year, they were able to travel to Eastern Europe, London, and Scotland together in addition to the time the spent visiting each other in Vienna and Paris.

Indeed, for Shalin, the most romantic gifts he has given Frances have been travel oriented.
'We really love traveling together,' he said. 'We spend most of our money and time traveling.'
According to Frances, Shalin has always had the ability to turn anything or any situation into something romantic, thanks to his insatiable thirst for all that life has to offer.
'He loves to make little crafts,' she explained, 'He puts his heart and soul into everything he does.'

Overcoming obstacles: Frances (L) visited Shalin (R) after he was evacuated from Peru and rushed to the UCLA hospital. Shalin spent more than a month in the hospital after he was first diagnosed with cancer

Worldly travelers: The couple smiled for the camera while posing for a photo in Prague

http://sabi9ja..com/2015/05/man-who-married-his-childhood.html

Re: Man Who Married His Childhood Sweetheart After Being Diagnosed With Terminal Can by donbenedict(m): 4:32am On May 15, 2015
Make him jus *uck him last *uck... Eya embarassed
Re: Man Who Married His Childhood Sweetheart After Being Diagnosed With Terminal Can by Spaxon(f): 5:01am On May 15, 2015
just in case....
Re: Man Who Married His Childhood Sweetheart After Being Diagnosed With Terminal Can by Yustash001(m): 6:17am On May 15, 2015
That's true love....but why can't they just summarize the story?

(1) (Reply)

Photo Stories: Isabelle Huppert Vs Gérard Depardieu - Kissing In Public / Official pics of Nigerian Idol's Jemiriye performing for Philadelphia phillies / PHOTO: Bruce Caitlyn Jenner Appears In Bathrobe + Excerpts From Her Vanity Fair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.