Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,815 members, 7,817,364 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria (36169 Views)

3 Things That Can Kill Your Christian Faith / Girl Uses Her School Fees To Sow Seed Of Faith In Church / Renouncing My Christian Faith (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by adegunahmed(m): 9:09am On May 17, 2015
GOOD LIST , BUT SOMEONE IS MISSING..

REV. SAMUEL AKINBODE SADELA..
1900 - 2014
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by timmilehin(m): 9:13am On May 17, 2015
Where are the pionner xtian leaders of those people from the other side of the niger bridge. Abi no church during those years?
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Assslayer: 9:15am On May 17, 2015
Gejpresident:
fool

I would rather pretend as though I didn't see this comment, we had rather wake up from this backward idea of religion and face real life facts for Africa to excel..

1 Like

Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by peedeeasobie(m): 9:16am On May 17, 2015
africanusvu:
You would have titled this,THE PIONER YORUBA CHRISTIAN LEADERS

And here comes tribalism!

Is Archbishop Idahosa yoruba?
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by cozy7(m): 9:20am On May 17, 2015
Nice write up. I really learnt a lot. Thanks Op.
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by brixton: 9:28am On May 17, 2015
Booked
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:28am On May 17, 2015
TODAY we now have GOD of MEN.. rather than MEN of GOD
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Nobody: 9:28am On May 17, 2015
Whrre is OBJ.. I heard he has a church.... buh seriously wea is pastor kumuyi, Lazarus muoka
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by africanusvu(m): 9:31am On May 17, 2015
peedeeasobie:

Very bias post,strictly for west region,If Bishop Shanaham,Fr wilberforce,Mary slesor,even Baba moses orimolade of cherubim and serphim etc isn't there,then he is confused
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Holuwathoby(m): 9:36am On May 17, 2015
help us oh GOD in this generation!
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by amanze15(m): 9:39am On May 17, 2015
And where are the irish missions that gave birth to the biggest denomination in Nigeria, dilapidated research, good work sha undecided
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:03am On May 17, 2015
timmilehin:
Where are the pionner xtian leaders of those people from the other side of the niger bridge. Abi no church during those years?
Taylor, John Christopher, Nigeria, Church Missionary Society
www​.dacb.org/stories/.../taylor_jc3.html
The social fabric of the nations was also touched by the revival as it brought about a ... He was born around the year 1815 in Sierra Leone of Igbo parents (an Isuama ... when the first Christian mission in Igboland was established at Onitsha,  ...
Timeline of Igbo history - Wikip

1 Like

Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:06am On May 17, 2015
This is not complete without including the Igbo son from Siera Leone that brought Christianity to Igboland.

Taylor, John Christopher, Nigeria, Church Missionary Society
www​.dacb.org/stories/.../taylor_jc3.html
The social fabric of the nations was also touched by the revival as it brought about a ... He was born around the year 1815 in Sierra Leone of Igbo parents (an Isuama ... when the first Christian mission in Igboland was established at Onitsha,  ...

2 Likes

Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Fianze93(m): 11:12am On May 17, 2015
[/color][color=#000099]Cant stop loving my denomination... Proudly Anglican
[i]Cant stop loving my denomination... Proudly Anglican
[/i]Cant stop loving my denomination... Proudly Anglican
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by italo: 11:21am On May 17, 2015
peedeeasobie:

Only one non-Yoruba.
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Yujin(m): 12:59pm On May 17, 2015
Mintayo:
Nice read! I love the faith of Benson idahosa!
These are great men of God who sought first the kingdom of God and it's righteousness... then other things were added to them! Not the other way round as we have it today!
This man oh o. This man is one I feel so pained never to have met while he was alive. I so much love him. I can't express how much I love him. He and Prophet T.B Joshua are the best thing to have happened to Nigeria. Men who have compassion for other men irrespective of their personality. Any time I see his picture I'm moved to tears. Arch Bishop Benson Idahosa. Your influence was felt even by the government during your days.
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by mojeer678: 1:00pm On May 17, 2015
robosky02:
This is a research work aimed at educating Nigerias on the long road the christian faith has taken over the year to reach us today.
From the first African bishop, to the first African church until we have gotten to were we have prolifiration of african churches.

"i will build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail."

CC: MOD and lalasticlala

When you have a précis that's fundamentally flawed, anchored in ignorance and peppered with plagiarism, the end product can't be but obnoxious.

The equally repugnant comments here is reflective of the dumbed down products of our abysmally failed educational institutions.

*leaves thread, spitting*

1 Like

Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by 36STATES: 1:20pm On May 17, 2015
Babalola Josoph of Aladura claimed God asked him to abandon a steam engine he's working on? I guess that was the beginning of the fall of our railway system.

1 Like

Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Dokitadotun: 2:13pm On May 17, 2015
The question is, what will you and I do for God? Those men served God with lasting legacies.
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:42pm On May 17, 2015
op, these are not pioniers! You are going to post pictures of pioners in christianity and you are mentioning people who were born in the last century? Go do a better research. Christianity is almost three hundred years old in Nigeria. Where did you keep the people who did it in the first hundred years?
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by enomakos(m): 4:40pm On May 17, 2015
Archbishop benson andrew idahosa
God bless his soul
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by zo3184: 4:54pm On May 17, 2015
Traitors to Africanism.
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Lilimax(f): 5:51pm On May 17, 2015
How about those Reverend Fathers of the Catholic faith?
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by italo: 5:57pm On May 17, 2015
Lilimax:
How about those Reverend Fathers of the Catholic faith?
amanze15:
And where are the irish missions that gave birth to the biggest denomination in Nigeria, dilapidated research, good work sha undecided

Robosky02 should have titled the thread: "The pioneers (Fathers) of Protestantism in Yorubaland."
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by professore(m): 6:39pm On May 17, 2015
It is good to see this thread
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Adeebiwa09(m): 7:06pm On May 17, 2015
Wat of Moses Orimolade and Oshofa
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by seyisolu(m): 7:12pm On May 17, 2015
You omitted the instrument God used to found the God's Kingdom Society. In the person of St. Gideon Meriodere Urhobo( of blessed memory).

The God's Kingdom Society is purely a Christian Organisation founded by the Almighty God through the instrumentality of St. Gideon Meriodere Urhobo, of the blessed memory. St. G. M. Urhobo, who was the first President of the GKS, was the instrument chosen by God through Jesus Christ, according to the election of grace, to accomplish His purpose.

The history of the God's Kingdom Society is linked with the biography of her first President, Brother G. M. Urhobo, in respect of his career as a preacher of the gospel. He hailed from Urhobo tribe and was the second son of a kind pagan gentleman - the late Ukoli of Agbasa village in Warri, Midwestern State of Nigeria. He was educated at the Warri Government School, and taught in Roman Catholic schools as well as the Government school, Warri, in the twenties. In June 1930, he joined the Posts and Telegraphs Department as a postal clerk and telegraphist.
Undoubtedly, his strong inclination for divine knowledge fired his interest in the Holy Bible which he spent most of his time to study. The most significant experience of his life came when he fell into a trance and received the Lord's commission. It was this remarkable occurrence that brought about the radical change in his life from a civil servant to an adroit preacher of the gospel! There was never a time he equivocated with regard to his spiritual calling; rather, he ever so well made open declarations about the grace the Lord bestowed upon him - and he lived up to it. Here is his own testimony:
"After three and half years diligent and prayerful studies of the Holy Bible, Jesus Christ revealed himself to me in a vision and commanded me to go and proclaim the good news of God's Kingdom (or 'Gospel of Peace') to all nations as the only remedy for all human sufferings and woes; to expose all the false doctrines which Satan had used to deceive the people and to keep them in ignorance of God's Kingdom and purpose of creation; and to pronounce God's written judgment against all wickedness".
Under the circumstances, it was virtually impossible for him to continue to serve under the Nigerian Colonial Government. He had no other alternative than to obey the Lord's command, like St. Paul of Bible fame (Acts 26:12-20), and devote his life wholly to Christ's Ministry as "the Lord's freeman". So, in February 1933, he resigned from the Government Service and became a full-time Minister of the gospel of Christ. This was quite in harmony with the biblical injunction, which says: "For he that is called in the Lord, being a servant, is the Lord's freeman: likewise also he that is called, being free, is Christ's servant. Ye are bought with a price: be not ye the servants of men" - 1st Corinthians 7:22,23.
The resignation of Brother G. M. Urhobo from the civil service for no other reason than that he, being anointed by the Lord, was going to give his whole time to God's Kingdom service, gave cause for his own relatives and many of his colleagues and friends to view his sanity with suspicion. It was really difficult for the unspiritual to appreciate his decision and course of action in throwing to the winds, "for the love of preaching" as some said, such an enviable post in the Government Service in those days when men of his social rank were regarded as the elites of society!

Right from the start of his career as a preacher, Brother Urhobo became an object of hatred and reproach as Christ truly said would happen to the chosen ones. (John 15:18,19; 17:14-16). His relatives and friends forsook him. Some said he was mad; others called him a devil and deceiver just as Jesus Christ, the Redeemer of mankind, was called. (John 10:20). Many false reports about him were published and circulated by certain people and the Watchtower Society warning the people to avoid him because of his teachings, which they considered to be revolutionary.

His worst antagonists were among the members of the Watchtower Society and the Roman Catholic Church.
Owing to the persecution in Warri, he went to Sapele in June 1933. There, too, it was not all roses for him. His expository lectures in which he criticised the false doctrines of "churchianity" stirred great enmity of the clergymen against him.
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 8:20pm On May 17, 2015
akigbemaru:
founding fathers of Christianity in Nigeria

yes indeed
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 8:22pm On May 17, 2015
peedeeasobie:

ok and Garrick Braide is Niger Delta not Yoruba
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 8:25pm On May 17, 2015
craziebone:
op, these are not pioniers! You are going to post pictures of pioners in christianity and you are mentioning people who were born in the last century? Go do a better research. Christianity is almost three hundred years old in Nigeria. Where did you keep the people who did it in the first hundred years?

from available records these are the men who indigenized christianity in nigeria. not just the whites that brought christianity
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by robosky02(m): 8:45pm On May 17, 2015
Mintayo:
Nice read! I love the faith of Benson idahosa!
These are great men of God who sought first the kingdom of God and it's righteousness... then other things were added to them! Not the other way round as we have it today!
Re: The Pioneers (Fathers) Of The Christian Faith In Nigeria by Octaves(m): 11:16pm On May 17, 2015
Very biased and stupid thread. You should have titled your thread 'pioneer fathers of the protestant faith'

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We Need More Support From Igbos To Propagate Islam In South-east – Igbo Muslims / Pastor Prophesied That Members Will Receive Bank Alerts And It Happened (Video) / T.B Joshua Gives N4.4m To Libya Deportees This Week

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.