Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,652 members, 7,809,469 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:07 AM

End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone (2186 Views)

Applicant Tracking System: A Possible Reason You’re Still Unemployed / Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo / Fired For A Tweet - Before Starting The Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by MissTechy(f): 9:56am On May 17, 2015
This article was gotten from MissTechy .com

Do employers have the right to monitor your activities in and out of work?

Apparently YES! Intermex Wire Transfer a money transfer service company based in California made it mandatory that all employees install a Xora Tracking GPS app on their Company iPhones that allow the company tracks the locations of their employees even during unofficial hours.

Things took a different turn when Myrna Arias who works in the company as an account manager claimed that she was “scolded” and subsequently fired for uninstalling a GPS Tracking App even though she met all quotas during her time with Intermex.

I visited the App’s website – Xora’s website and one major feature is that it allows Employers “see the work their mobile employees do each and every day.”

According to the website, “Xora makes it easy to stay focused on customer needs – if employees are always mobile or working back at headquarters. Office employees connect with mobile employees through a web-based Management Application, giving them greater visibility and management of activities occurring in the field. The Xora Mobile App turns mobile devices into productivity tools enabling employees to record work hours, access daily assignments and collect information”
Arias asked her boss – John Stubits, whether the app was capable of monitoring her movements even when off duty, The suit alleges that he not only confirmed it, but also bragged that he was able to determine how fast she was going any time she was driving in her car.

According to the lawsuits, Stubits said that she should deal with the intrusion because she was getting paid more money at Intermex than she was at her previous job for a company called NetSpend.

She is now suing the company for $500,000. According to Arias, she did not mind the fact that she was being monitored at work, but did not appreciate that she was still monitored after work –“She likened the app to a prisoner’s ankle bracelet and informed Stubits that his actions were illegal. Stubits replied that she should tolerate the illegal intrusion.”

In my opinion, I think what Arias should have done was to turn off her Location Service – These apps can tell whether or not you’ve uninstalled an app, but if she just disables the location service, the app would still work and her location can remain hidden. ( See why you need to be “TECHY”)

However, I still have two question:

1. Don’t you think that this Stubits guy deserves to be sued?
2. In all fairness, do you think Arias has the right to uninstall the app from a Company phone?

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by semitunde: 10:03am On May 17, 2015
She should have just bought herself a private phone to use during non working hours.

But yes, she can sue for invasion of privacy.

1 Like

Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by Xslaze3xd(m): 10:05am On May 17, 2015
why monitor some one's privacy

*the poster above me..... don't u go to church
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by Cpumping(m): 10:31am On May 17, 2015
booking space on sunday is a sin.

1 Like

Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by SleekyP(m): 10:56am On May 17, 2015
MissTechy:
This article was gotten from MissTechy .com

cool
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by Cutehector(m): 11:40am On May 17, 2015
She does not have the right to uninstall the app

She should hav turned oFf the location service just ass misstechy adviced

She was right in sueing them to court for breach of privacy
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by JustCurious: 12:41pm On May 17, 2015
. .
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by obowunmi(m): 12:51pm On May 17, 2015
After work hours, use style to "forget" the phone at the office.
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by yomalex(m): 12:55pm On May 17, 2015
At work? yes out of work? Hell no
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by cirmuell(m): 3:24pm On May 17, 2015
@ work or during work hours, maybe. But off-duty? Hell no.
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by blank(f): 6:03pm On May 17, 2015
I would. Lock the phone in my office drawer at the close of work everyday. Won't take that phone at all.
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by bolliejay(m): 7:22pm On May 17, 2015
They have no right to monitor me offduty.........wud always drop the fone in my locker at work after COB!
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by MissTechy(f): 7:33pm On May 17, 2015
bolliejay:
They have no right to monitor me offduty.........wud always drop the fone in my locker at work after COB!
[/color][color=#990000][color=#550000][/color]

What if I were to pay you N1m for me to monitor you ?
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by bolliejay(m): 7:38pm On May 17, 2015
MissTechy:
[/color][color=#990000][color=#550000][/color]

What if I were to pay you N1m for me to monitor you ?
Thou l hv no skeleton in my wardrobe but even 10m won't do..............l love my privacy
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by MissTechy(f): 7:46pm On May 17, 2015
bolliejay:

Thou l hv no skeleton in my wardrobe but even 10m won't do..............l love my privacy

Wow are u serious
Re: End Times! Worker Fired For Uninstalling A GPS Tracking App From Her Smartphone by Leopantro: 4:21pm On May 28, 2015
Recently found a way to fool the GPS in an android phone without root. Also, I recall an article that said disabling the location service is not 100 percent effective.

(1) (Reply)

ECO Bank Graduate Trainee Aptitude Test 2019 / 7 Job Openings In Lekki, Lagos ( Tech & Gaming Industry ) / Latest On Immigration,prisons And Customs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.