Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,625 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:25 PM

Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo (6743 Views)

See Some Of The Reasons You Are Not Getting Dream Jobs / Italian Girl Refused Job Because She Has A Nigerian Fiance / How I Lost A Job Because Of A Customised Facebook Name (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by baski92(m): 6:25pm On Sep 25, 2015
A woman who landed her ‘perfect’ job was fired half an hour later after
the company learned she had a tattoo on her hand. Claire Shepherd
applied for the role of retail merchandiser at logistics centre Dee Set
in her home city of Swansea, Wales. Clearly impressed with her
experience, the 27-year-old was offered the position after passing a
telephone interview with ‘flying colours’.
However, after discovering that Claire had inkings on her hand – which
would be difficult to cover up – the firm backtracked and said they could
not hire her as the design may ’cause offence’.
Frustrated Claire, who got the intricate tattoo that extends from her
forefinger, over her hand and on to her forearm 18 months ago, vented
her anger on Facebook. She told her followers:
‘I got a new job today! And then I got sacked within half an hour. I
had a telephone interview today with Dee Set for a retail
merchandiser and was happy when at the end of the phone call she told
me I had the position and would be starting next week. The company
then sent me an e-mail with their dress standards. As I read it I was
gutted as they noted that all tattoos must be covered up as they are
likely to cause offence.
Thinking that this was an ‘old standard e-mail the company sent out’,
Claire contacted Dee Set, hoping that their views had changed and
explained that her emblem wouldn’t affect her work.
She continued: ‘I have 6 years previous experience in managerial roles
and my tattoos have never been an issue. That is until I applied for a
role with Dee Set that work with Tesco, Asda, Boots and other
chains. I was shocked when they replied and said they would no longer
be employing me as I would not be able to cover my tattoos. They
clearly thought I had something to offer and would be the right person
for the job as they had already offered me the position,’ she said.
‘I’m shocked that people still discriminate against visible tattoos. I just
didn’t think this happened any more. I’m totally disgusted,’ she said
while ending her rant.
Claire’s rant has been shared nearly 2,000 times now and re-tweeted by
American plus-size model Tess Holliday, who is a fellow ink devotee.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Source http://www..ng/2015/09/25/lady-fired-30mins-after-getting-dream-job-because-of-her-tattoo/

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by resty4(m): 6:30pm On Sep 25, 2015
Tattoo lovers take note

6 Likes

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by eipreel(f): 6:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
Not in Nigeria...thought as much...
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by ernesty20(m): 6:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
Pishure or adonbilivit grin
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by benedima1990(m): 6:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
If na me, I go double sack you sef

10 Likes

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by noordean(m): 7:19pm On Sep 25, 2015
benedima1990:
If na me, I go double sack you sef
i will tripple sack her sef

12 Likes

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by dhantey324(m): 7:24pm On Sep 25, 2015
shocked I think say oyibo no send. Make dem come employ me o. I no get tats...
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Nobody: 7:30pm On Sep 25, 2015
I couldn't agree more.

A lady...with a tattoo on the hand...

Good morals and tattoos don't mix - obviously.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Chuksemi(m): 7:46pm On Sep 25, 2015
lol, if this was Nigeria. They would sack her even if the tattoos were on her pubic region where it doesn't see daylight.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Tallesty1(m): 7:54pm On Sep 25, 2015
eipreel:
You don 4get say nah era of change we dey so

Anything can happen now.
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Nobody: 8:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
k...
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Nobody: 8:19pm On Sep 25, 2015
She should have told them she can cover it up with long sleeves and glooves
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Shinelle(f): 8:48pm On Sep 25, 2015
Some choices we make hamper our future growth..

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Nobody: 8:53pm On Sep 25, 2015
Lesson...
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by yinkeys(m): 9:20pm On Sep 25, 2015
maiahsaiah:
She should have told them she can cover it up with long sleeves and glooves
This your swag ehn!! smileyI wonder how you ladies walk with those heels on

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by ignis: 9:21pm On Sep 25, 2015
Good for her
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by sparkleRed(f): 9:52pm On Sep 25, 2015
Ve a tat didnt stop d bank I work with from employing me undecided

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Nobody: 10:13pm On Sep 25, 2015
I will sack her, after FVCKING her well.

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by chudyprince: 10:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
People just get tatted without knowing what it symbolize...tattoo is not fashon ladies n gentle men, be infom

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by calculator123(m): 10:49pm On Sep 25, 2015
it even a sin to have any markings on your body. for all those tatoo freaks this is for you

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by vega84(m): 10:56pm On Sep 25, 2015
That serves her right ! Rubbish tin called tattoo #vegatalks

2 Likes

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by simplex2: 11:34pm On Sep 25, 2015
That's why I'm having mine on my dckk: nobody's gonna be bordered with that.

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Dottore: 3:20am On Sep 26, 2015
Serves her right.
#ihatetatttoos

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Nobody: 3:22am On Sep 26, 2015
eipreel:

abeg no bring tattoo come my coy o.....I hate it with passion...

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Sparkle777(f): 4:40am On Sep 26, 2015
Same thing in Nig govt para military and ministries. If u have visible tats, u ll not be employed. So job seekers,beware.

1 Like

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by ayobase(m): 4:53am On Sep 26, 2015
some trends are better within the entertainment industry, but unacceptable in the corporate society.

Different stroke for different person/coy

3 Likes

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by agarawu23(m): 5:22am On Sep 26, 2015
shocked shocked shocked
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by cr7lomo: 6:02am On Sep 26, 2015
EVILFOREST:
I will sack her, after FVCKING her well.

Na that one she go like self cos she will sue ur a.ss for sexual assault and maybe even claim violent rape.... U think say Na Nigeria, she will use that to make so much money through their justice system

2 Likes

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by begwong: 6:03am On Sep 26, 2015
No wonder na phone interview dem no see am, I thought na physical appearance own
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by begwong: 6:04am On Sep 26, 2015
No wonder na phone interview dem no see am, I thought na physical appearance own. Seems she no ready for job yet

2 Likes

Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by Cutehector(m): 6:25am On Sep 26, 2015
sparkleRed:
Ve a tat didnt stop d bank I work with from employing me undecided
whr is d tatoo in ur body?
Re: Lady Fired 30mins After Getting Dream Job Because Of Her Tattoo by MizMyColi(f): 6:39am On Sep 26, 2015
I intend getting a temporary tattoo.

Two small ones...on my arm, and ankle.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Should Serving During NYSC Count As Work Experience? / Tuesday Guardian Vacancies / Download Oil And Gas Jobs Aptitude Test Past Questions And Answers | Free PDF

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.