Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,728 members, 7,809,776 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:43 PM

"My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" (1408 Views)

2 Okada Men Die In Imo Accident While Bringing Corpse Home From Mortuary / Corpse Of Woman Buried 14-years-ago In Epe, Lagos Found Same Way It Was. Photo / Obasanjo Talks On How Many Children He Have & Late Wife Death (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by OmaBliss: 10:50am On May 18, 2015
I saw this on pulse news and decided to share it here and know what u would advice d young man to do.

My name is Linus Umoh. I have a very big problem that I hope your readers would help me out with useful pieces of advice.
I met this lady, Magdalene, about seven years ago in Lagos and what started as a relationship soon led to something else when she became pregnant for me. At that time, I was not in a very good financial position to go for her marriage, even though her family members kept disturbing me to come and do the right thing.
Later, I went to see her people in Eket in Akwa Ibom State and they gave me a marriage list including what they call 'insult' list. What they requested for was too much and there was no way I could have raised over N1.2 million to finance the wedding.
Anyway, we kept on living as man and wife and we had three more children but early this year, my wife died while she was giving birth to our fifth child.
That is when my problems began as her family are insisting that before my wife can be buried, I must come and marry her corpse. They have refused to allow me to bury her until I do the wedding.
My late wife is still in the mortuary and her family has been on my neck, threatening me to no end. They have even said that I will not live beyond this year if I fail to come and marry the corpse of my wife. I have been running from pillar to post trying to let them allow me bury her but they have been adamant.
What do I do in this precarious situation?
Linus,
Lagos."
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Nimen(m): 10:52am On May 18, 2015
Thought only Mbaise people had lists that run into millions?
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Young03(m): 10:55am On May 18, 2015
He must wed her,dts tradition or if he says no

He will loose the three children to the gals family cus, their marriage was temporal
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by OmaBliss: 10:56am On May 18, 2015
Nimen:
Thought only Mbaise people had lists that run into millions?
It's not only dem oh!

Different tribes with different wahala..
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by OmaBliss: 10:58am On May 18, 2015
Young03:
He must wed her,dts tradition or if he says no

He will loose the three children to the gals family cus, their marriage was temporal
I kinda agree with u buh don't u think it's weird? lipsrsealed
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Holatunde007(m): 11:02am On May 18, 2015
Marry weytin?
Even if I hav the sum with me, I had rather leave the country with my children

Cos marrying a corpse is the beginning of another foundation problem both to the mans life and children..........young man flee
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Nimen(m): 11:07am On May 18, 2015
OmaBliss:

It's not only dem oh!

Different tribes with different wahala..

Hian! Okay oo, but with the way they amplify Imo people's bride price you'll think they have the most expensive babes in the planet
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by OmaBliss: 11:10am On May 18, 2015
Nimen:

Hian! Okay oo, but with the way they amplify Imo people's bride price you'll think they have the most expensive babes in the planet
I guess it's particularly d mbaise pple..

I'm 4rm Okigwe in imo state and my sis bride price wasn't dat much!

1 Like

Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Young03(m): 11:15am On May 18, 2015
OmaBliss:

I kinda agree with u buh don't u think it's weird? lipsrsealed

Y its not weird is dt tradition must stand
It is shown clearly dt they ar doing friendship but no married, he should wed her now, meanwhile her bride price will reduce, not gonna be like before
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by OmaBliss: 11:18am On May 18, 2015
Young03:

Y its not weird is dt tradition must stand
It is shown clearly dt they ar doing friendship but no married, he should wed her now, meanwhile her bride price will reduce, not gonna be like before
Good..

Ur point is noted!
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Young03(m): 11:19am On May 18, 2015
OmaBliss:
Good..
Ur point is noted!
Wch tribe ar u
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Nimen(m): 11:22am On May 18, 2015
OmaBliss:

I guess it's particularly d mbaise pple..

I'm 4rm Okigwe in imo state and my sis bride price wasn't dat much!

well... Just hope they won't change their mind wid yours
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by nellyquash(f): 11:48am On May 18, 2015
what a pathetic story. well, that is tradition if i must say. it happens everywhere. i always kick against man and woman living together without any formal marriage right. What the Girl's family is trying to say is that, u must come and pay the normal traditional marriage right before any burial can take place, they don't mean u should come and stand and marry a corpse.

The same issue happen in my compound like 4months ago, the girl died during child birth, the both are form Imo state, after pleading with the girl's family, he still ended up marrying the girl, as in performing the necessary marriage right before he can buried the girl.

Some parent's can be so mean when it comes to issue like this, Introduction self no be marriage, please we should take note.

My own view.........
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by OmaBliss: 11:56am On May 18, 2015
Young03:

Wch tribe ar u
I'm igbo.
Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Lobolintin(m): 12:23pm On May 18, 2015
Brother... From your post. U be Yoruba mam. When unah go see free pussy jump am this is the outcome.... Just try gather money and do small thing... Or else..... If nah my place.. We will place you within 2,weeks .'.'

That's culture custom and traditional .... Sorry and take heart bros...

1 Like

Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by Young03(m): 1:52pm On May 18, 2015
OmaBliss:
I'm igbo.
Me na igbo too, so u supose know say igbo culture they like dt

1 Like

Re: "My Inlaws Want Me To Wed My Late Wife's Corpse" by kinglekan: 12:01am On May 19, 2015
@OmaBliss

Linus knew what he was venturing into and yet he went along with it. At what point was he planning on paying her dowry, if he ever had that in mind.

He should have carefully thought about this from the onset. I know he definitely wasn't oblivious of the fact that tradition states that he must perform these rites.

My advice to him is simple, instead of running from pillar to post like Petr Cech, he should rather assemble key elders in his family and meet with his late wife's family. Let them discuss and reach a favourable compromise.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

The Removal Of The Immunity Clause ''a Necessity / Win Cash In Fun Giveaway / Take A Look At The World’s Scariest Selfies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.