Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,541 members, 7,827,020 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 04:46 AM

The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name (79197 Views)

Plane That Crashed On A Busy Street In Washington (Photos) / The Most Expensive Garden Street In Owerri / How To Open A Bank Account In America With A Visiting Visa B1/b2 (pixs) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by VISTIN(m): 9:19am On May 20, 2015
America or Ojota??
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by bigfrancis21: 9:31am On May 20, 2015
budapestliz:
With background sounds of heavy traffic, You're hearing the intersection of 44th Street and 2nd Avenue in New York City.
The northeast corner of this intersection is significant to the Nigeria story for two reasons. First, it is the site of Nigeria's mission to the United Nations and their New York consulate. Second, the New York City Council has renamed this corner Kudirat Abiola Corner.

To understand the significance of Kudirat Abiola we have to go back to 1993, the last time Nigeria experimented with democracy. Kudirat's husband, Moshood Abioloa, ran for President and he won but the election was annuled by the then head of state Ibrahim Babangida

That is not the only place in America with a Nigerian name. In Georgia, an entire Island is known as Ibo's landing, in reference to Igbo slaves that had disembarked by the creek in St. Simons destined for slavery but chose to drown in the sea instead rather than work as slaves.

3 Likes

Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Khd95(m): 9:35am On May 20, 2015
Very soon america will name one of their B.ball courts aftr ur outgoin president for 'heroically conceding defeat'..#yinmu.

Do u get d joke?

1 Like

Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by PBundles(m): 9:35am On May 20, 2015
Its not a street, All streets in NY have been taken and can only be renamed via legislative order. Its a corner ( ie junction) you cant use it as an address. That doesnt say its not an accomplishment because it is but lets not embellish facts.
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by EarlyBaba: 9:38am On May 20, 2015
I don't think this is the only one. I've seen wale crescent somewhere in Brooklyn. my brother is a doctor in a clinic near there
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Nobody: 9:55am On May 20, 2015
Amara25god:
abeg..I wan buy house there

Every great achievement started with a desire.

I see you buying a house in NYC in 10 years time..
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Bimpe29: 10:16am On May 20, 2015
Eyah Kudirat is immortalized in New York.
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Meti99(m): 10:26am On May 20, 2015
That's not new There is barak obama nursery and primary school here in my locality
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by oluamid(m): 10:43am On May 20, 2015
Chai! My people too like foreign things. I don't see anyone taking pic of Kudirat Abiola way sign in Ojota. undecided
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Chiaka(f): 10:55am On May 20, 2015
Good! hoping democracy is here to stay! we need more and more national conferences
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Nickymezor(f): 12:46pm On May 20, 2015
Hw nice. ..gud to knw smiley
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by pasol4real(m): 1:11pm On May 20, 2015
discusant:
Awwww, why bring this Kudi matter na?
na brother against brother struggle for who must lead Nigeria. I mean - the slaughter of Kudirat , the ordeal against MKO her husband - all be parapo fight na - brother VS brother. Oyibo people sef we de put street name, wetin dem sabi about Nigeria? Omodua and Fulani don settle since ....
For were una settle as i dey follow u talk so odua ppm fulani ppl dey fight serious fight for canoe airport road.
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by sigain: 1:13pm On May 20, 2015
no mind the boy jare na head e dey take dey waka. ode one naija o.
bueze046:

na so you dey reason boy??... mallam wet dey shine shoe dey reason pass you shaa,
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Nobody: 4:45pm On May 20, 2015
Naughtysite:

Every great achievement started with a desire.
I see you buying a house in NYC in 10 years time..
. AMENNN..Oooo
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Nobody: 6:01pm On May 20, 2015
Amara25god:
AMENNN..Oooo

5 years ago, I was dreaming about buying land and building my house, today, I own one.

Keep dreaming and start acting too.
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by edward1: 2:06pm On May 24, 2015
Hello my great professors in the house, I have another challenge. Here is my story:
my wife is a citizen of usa and she is carrying my 1 year old baby she has file in for me but the problem am having now is my passport 04-04-1984 but she use 05-05-1985 to apply for me the I have been ask by usa embassy to send the scan copy of my passport but the age on passport is different from the one my wife use to apply for me and i have informed that the Nigeria immigration can not issue another dob for me but I don't know what to do can anyone enlightened me on this what to do about it can I go to usa embassy with the passport I have with me or can anyone help on how to get my passport fix from immigration office
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by Senatorbee(m): 7:52pm On Jul 13, 2015
Pls can any1 help me with the latest date of appointment
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by budapestliz(f): 8:36pm On Dec 26, 2016
good
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by olamilarks(m): 5:48pm On Jul 03, 2019
budapestliz:
With background sounds of heavy traffic, You're hearing the intersection of 44th Street and 2nd Avenue in New York City.
The northeast corner of this intersection is significant to the Nigeria story for two reasons. First, it is the site of Nigeria's mission to the United Nations and their New York consulate. Second, the New York City Council has renamed this corner Kudirat Abiola Corner.

To understand the significance of Kudirat Abiola we have to go back to 1993, the last time Nigeria experimented with democracy. Kudirat's husband, Moshood Abioloa, ran for President and he won but the election was annuled by the then head of state Ibrahim Babangida
It would take considerable time to learn to drive in the west sha!
Re: The Only Street In America With A Nigeria Name by RuggedSniper: 11:02pm On Dec 29, 2020
budapestliz:

The woman with a WARRIOR SPIRIT! Kudirat Abiola.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Lady Who Was Set To Wed In October Crushed By Truck In Ajah (photo) / Lockdown: Onitsha Inner Neighbourhoods (Aerial Pictures) / Aerial Photos Of Ogbaru, Onitsha From Second Niger Bridge Site

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.