Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,908 members, 7,821,154 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:01 AM

Amen....to This. - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Amen....to This. (3327 Views)

RCCG 64th Annual Convention : Amen; Aug 1-7 / Can You Say "AMEN" To This Prayer? / Why Do Christians Pray Aggressively & Shout Louder Amen At The Mention Of Money? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 2:38pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

And history confirms and finds materials that supports the historicity of a myth? Where did u keep ur head?
Oh my goodness can this get any boring than this

This princess doesn't really know when something is classified a myth and what is not. . . History is reconstructed by archeological finds. . I think you need go check the myths you swallow and contrast them with scholarly consensus based on archeological facts. . .Maybe then we could manage to make something of you at least who can distinguish between myth and historical event.

Christendom, not xtainity honey. Hahaha

Christendom /ˈkrɪs(ə)ndəm/
noun
the worldwide body or society of Christians.

are you really sure you knew the correct usage of that word when you employed it?

Go and think the meaning of the phrase "in the beginning, God created the heaven and the earth". That will clear u up
Oh oh sorry is it time to twist biblical texts already?

I think every clearly knows according to the bible "Sun, moon and stars were created on the fourth day" princess you won't do a good job trying to twist that.

this is what we get when beliefs in myths run the minds of 21st century beings and somehow you still has the ludicrous idea that you are better than egyptians over their own myths.

they obviously are far better because they believed their own myths and you believe one that is a construct of ancient middle eastern civilization

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 2:44pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

Maybe in the future u ll understand. For now, keep viewing that source as accurate.
Now, if can go to the book "International Standard Bible Encyclopedia - Revised Edition, check under Religion of Egypt, you ll see why such claimed monotheism is doubtful. If you ve read well, you will understand that emperors were worshiped as gods.
Don't limit yourself to wiki.
Now here goes the link, A bible encyclopedia.

Lmao and were we arguing whether emperors were worshipped as Gods, you obviously have lost your wits on this.... through out history Emperors as well as many other outstanding humans has been deified.

We were talking about the Pharaoh Amenhotep IV who introduced Egypt the monotheism during his reign which you sheepishly want so bad to say was worshipped as a God in order to distort history and claim it was polytheism.

He was regarded son of Aten kiddo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 3:24pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:
Lmao bursted are we? grin

God Zeus impregnated a human woman Danaë and had a son Perseus (Johnydon: this is a myth... JMAN5: yes it is a myth.)

The God Zeus impregnated a human woman Alcmene and had a son Hercules (Johnydon: That is a clear myth. . . JMAN5: Of course it is myth)

The God yahweh impregnated a human woman Mary and had a son Jesus (Johnydon: That obviously like others is a myth.
JMAN5: you don't love the truth, this one is the truth of God angry)

Can bigotry get any lower? grin

The difference between us is that you disbelieve other myths and believe only the one found in your religion while i myself disbelieve both other myths and yours too

Where did God impregnant mary to give birth to Jesus? Quote

And I ask, which archaeological finds or historical documents support the claim of the stories written in this mythological books. These writings are well known as myths, while archaeological finds and ancient writings keep confirming bible stories. So John, if youi think we just believe in the bible without evidence, you are funny. Be sincere man and see that you cant ever compare the bible to these tales.

Hinduism remains one of the top three major religions in the world even though it is the oldest religion known to man.

I do refer you to a Hindu and ask them how their old religion survived till now smiley

No, please tell me.

I think you need to check the meaning of Myth and then relate it the stories.

The story of Achilles has tons of archeological findings suggesting Achilles is a historical figure but amidst this, Achilles mother being a Nymph is a pure myth.

You see, you don't even know what premise you were arguing over... Pretty lame

It thus seems you view it from a different context. From your view, you see some stories in mythology as true, while some are false. If that is the case, you do well to state what in a story you as a person refer to as a myth/fiction. You cant just come and claim that the bible is a mythological story copied from an ancient myth and re-fashioned by a set of people. Thats stupidity.

Since in your case, you dont view myth as entirely a fiction, what do you call fiction in your "myth".

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 3:50pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

Where did God impregnant mary to give birth to Jesus? Quote
Hahahahahaha am dead .. So it is no longer Yahweh that is the father of Jesus but now maybe it was Joseph after all or Mary played away match.

Is this the new tactics to distance your biblical son of God from his father? Or

Aaaaw christians are so gonna burst you for this..

And I ask, which archaeological finds or historical documents support the claim of the stories written in this mythological books. These writings are well known as myths, while archaeological finds and ancient writings keep confirming bible stories. So John, if youi think we just believe in the bible without evidence, you are funny. Be sincere man and see that you cant ever compare the bible to these tales.
[b]Seriously your naivete is stupendous. . This still keeps betraying the fact that you don't know what a myth means.

The ancient ruin of troy has been identified, thousand other archeological artifacts depicting the Homeric characters.

Again princess you still cannot even determine what a myth is because obviously you have no idea the definition of myth.

Let me repeat myself once more so as to know if you can at least deduct some little things from it for an upgrade because you clearly need it.

Just like i mentioned in the other thread; There may have been a historical Hercules, Achilles of even a Jesus in the roman Israeli outpost.

But when it is mentioned that Achilles body was invincible except heels, his mother was a Goddess (Nymph), Heracles has a father which is a God, Zeus, killed a snake with many heads, helped atlas carry the earth or jesus had a father which is a God named yahweh, replaced a severed ear and so on.

That is the myth amidst the fable. . .You obviously have no idea what a myth means.
[/b]

No, please tell me.
This is the age of information, your phone can help with that.
if you find out the reason why your own religion transcends to next generation you will find out the reason why the oldest world religion still lingers till today.... Go ask a hindusmiley

It thus seems you view it from a different context. From your view, you see some stories in mythology as true, while some are false. If that is the case, you do well to state what in a story you as a person refer to as a myth/fiction. You cant just come and claim that the bible is a mythological story copied from an ancient myth and re-fashioned by a set of people. Thats stupidity.
Since in your case, you dont view myth as entirely a fiction, what do you call fiction in your "myth".

You see your life?

why do you keep showing yourself up to be pretty banked up upstairs.

This shows you have no idea what a myth is and that is so sad....

Let me give you another basic tutor to see if you can at least discern what a myth means.

"JMAN05 was born on earth but he had wings and could carry the earth on his shoulder and had a deity as a father"

That JMAN05 is a human can be a fact but he had wings, carry the earth, deity father is pure unadulterated myth.

You really need to go get a grasp of modern historicity and stop making a complete nonsense of yourself.

Archeological finds reconstructs historical facts and deducts exactly how the story plays out and dismisses the employment of myths (preternatural fabrications) found in the stories.

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05
Where did u get the lie that Moses worshiped a god that came to prominence after they had left Egypt?

Aten was never a universal god of the egyptians when Jews were in Egypt.

I thought this thread was dead and buried !

What is your evidence that the Aten came to prominence only after the Hebrews/Canaanites had departed Egypt?

Biblical scholars place Moses historically in Egypt roughly around the time of Pharaoh Amenhotep III and his son who later changed his name to Akhenaten in honour of Aten. Moses who grew up in the household of Pharaoh clearly did not worship the God of Israel, only when he flees Egypt upon committing murder and goes into hiding at Midian does he become acquainted with the God of Israel, he had to ask YHWH to identify himself. If we place Moses in Egypt under the reign of Pharaoh Amenhotep III and his son Akhenaten then he would have been a worshipper of Amen-Ra and latterly ATEN.

My evidence is that till today on particular Temples dedicated to the Aten there are symbols and hieroglyphs carved upon the main beams connecting columns and pillars. Of particular interest and prominence are those being that of a circle with falcon wings representing Akhenaten and others of water being poured from a jug or into cupped hands…….the emblem of the priestly caste of the house of Levi. These images persist in Masonic and Rosicrucian symbolisms as well as in Kabbala rituals.

Further, the only evidence that exists today of any exodus or mass movement of people from Egypt (of which I am sure you are unaware) is the Egyptian written history of the exodus of an entire city, which was the new capital of Egypt, Akhehaten named after Akhenaten who instituted the worship of Aten, this exodus took place in 1344BCE.

JMAN05
Again, who told you that Yahweh pronunciation was prohibited then?

Where did you derive this new lord concept?

Divinity 101, early Hebrew worshippers were not permitted to utter the name YHWH, if you do not know this then you are singularly uninformed. The name could be written but never spoken, when there came a time for the name to be read out loud it was substituted by the word LORD, it is well known that the name of the Egyptian deity ATEN transliterates to the Hebrew word ADON used in the Hebrew Bible, in the English Bible it is LORD, or if you prefer, ADONAI, meaning My LORD.

JMAN05
Oga the Jew never knew Aten as a state god.

Again, misinformed.

There is strong evidence to suggest that the Hebrews who departed Egypt brought their Egypt deity worship along with them and in fact there are strong hints of the Hebrew priestly caste performing what would become dual roles as priests initially to ATEN and then eventually to YHWH

For instance Merari, the youngest son of Levi, who became the ancestor of the Merarites, one of the three branches of the Levite priesthood, is traditionally thought to derive his name from the Hebrew/Canaanite word meaning 'bitter'. However, it is more likely that it comes from the Egyptian mrry/mrrì, meaning 'to love', or 'beloved'. Curiously enough, there was a Mery-re II, a high priest of the Aten, who lived during the reign of Akhenaten and whose empty rock-cut tomb is situated in the cliffs beyond the site of Akhenaten's city.

Then there is Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the high priest and chief of the Levites, who was the grandson of Aaron. He played an active role during Israel's forty years of wandering in the wilderness, and went on to become the ancestor of the Zadok priesthood. The Hebrew meaning of his name is 'mouth of brass', but it quite clearly derives from the Egyptian Pinehsy, meaning 'the Nubian', indicating a person with dark skin or a true Nubian.(his mother was Putiel) Strangely enough, there was also a Pinehesy, a Chief Servitor of ATEN, who lived during the reign of Akhenaten. Like that of Mery-re II, his empty tomb can be found in the cliffs beyond the site of Akhenaten's city.

These are actual historical figures, whilst I cannot state with certainty that the aforementioned were indeed the descendants of the Levites the timelines fit and on a balance of probabilities, and not just simple coincidence, it seems the Hebrew priests served the ATEN and then departed the city in haste.

And lets not forget, there is also Moses, son of AMRAM, it is worth pointing out that the heavenly father of Aten was named IMRAM, coincidence?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:
Oh my goodness can this get any boring than this

This princess doesn't really know when something is classified a myth and what is not. . . History is reconstructed by archeological finds. . I think you need go check the myths you swallow and contrast them with scholarly consensus based on archeological facts. . .Maybe then we could manage to make something of you at least who can distinguish between myth and historical event.

When you say myth, you do not mean that its stories are all inaccurate stories. How do you pick your own myth, I mean fictional stories?

Christendom /ˈkrɪs(ə)ndəm/
noun
the worldwide body or society of Christians.

are you really sure you knew the correct usage of that word when you employed it?

It basically means the christian world, area in which (profess) christians dominate. It is not the same with true Christianity.

Oh oh sorry is it time to twist biblical texts already?

I think every clearly knows according to the bible "Sun, moon and stars were created on the fourth day" princess you won't do a good job trying to twist that.

Who is princess? Are you sure you are here with me?

And that is what people like you say when they observe that their stand has been faulted.

this is what we get when beliefs in myths run the minds of 21st century beings and somehow you still has the ludicrous idea that you are better than egyptians over their own myths.

they obviously are far better because they believed their own myths and you believe one that is a construct of ancient middle eastern civilization

You ve not still told us what is fiction in your myth, since you believe that some stories in myths are accurate.

Where are these your egyptians with there myths?

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:
Now here goes the link, A bible encyclopedia.

Lmao and were we arguing whether emperors were worshipped as Gods, you obviously have lost your wits on this.... through out history Emperors as well as many other outstanding humans has been deified.

We were talking about the Pharaoh Amenhotep IV who introduced Egypt the monotheism during his reign which you sheepishly want so bad to say was worshipped as a God in order to distort history and claim it was polytheism.

He was regarded son of Aten kiddo

You are becoming annoying kid. If the emperor is viewed as a god, how can you call his subject who deify him as monotheists?

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 4:38pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

When you say myth, you do not mean that its stories are all inaccurate stories. How do you pick your own myth, I mean fictional stories?

You see? am even arguing with someone who doesn't even know the meaning of myth and you have been yapping here since Pheeew quite demeaning..

Here please help yourself http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/myth

It basically means the christian world, area in which (profess) christians dominate. It is not the same with true Christianity.
Who is princess? Are you sure you are here with me?
And that is what people like you say when they observe that their stand has been faulted.
You ve not still told us what is fiction in your myth, since you believe that some stories in myths are accurate.
Where are these your egyptians with there myths?
Oh meeeeehn what is this abject show of lunacy.

Come barbie please go look up the meaning of MYTH and it's usage in historicity.

" Historicity is the historical actuality of persons and events, meaning the
quality of being part of history as opposed to being a historical myth , legend ,
or fiction "

please go read about historicity and the deductive methods in contrasts to it's myths and fictions.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity

I cannot keep discussing with someone who doesn't even know the premise he is arguing over just chipping in what ever absurd thinking that pops up into his head...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 4:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

You are becoming annoying kid. If the emperor is viewed as a god, how can you call his subject who deify him as monotheists?
You see why i call you a princess, because of the punny arguments you put up betraying epileptic cognition.

Please can someone help me tell this boy that Emperors or other humans being deified has nothing to do with the conventional God or religion of the people"

Messi is called the God of soccer, such distinctions is a show of respect it doesn't mean the subject is a conventional deity or has effect on religion... Wooow this is new..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:
Hahahahahaha am dead .. So it is no longer Yahweh that is the father of Jesus but now maybe it was Joseph after all or Mary played away match.

Is this the new tactics to distance your biblical son of God from his father? Or

Aaaaw christians are so gonna burst you for this..

Oga, where did God impregnant Mary?

[b]Seriously your naivete is stupendous. . This still keeps betraying the fact that you don't know what a myth means.

The ancient ruin of troy has been identified, thousand other archeological artifacts depicting the Homeric characters.

Again princess you still cannot even determine what a myth is because obviously you have no idea the definition of myth.

Let me repeat myself once more so as to know if you can at least deduct some little things from it for an upgrade because you clearly need it.

Just like i mentioned in the other thread; There may have been a historical Hercules, Achilles of even a Jesus in the roman Israeli outpost.

But when it is mentioned that Achilles body was invincible except heels, his mother was a Goddess (Nymph), Heracles has a father which is a God, Zeus, killed a snake with many heads, helped atlas carry the earth or jesus had a father which is a God named yahweh, replaced a severed ear and so on.

That is the myth amidst the fable. . .You obviously have no idea what a myth means.
[/b]

Oga myth can mean a story believe to be true, but which is not. But you have a different view. Many view Jesus as a myth, it seems you believe him. So tell us what you specifically call myth in biblical stories.

Do you accept all the characters as real humans and the stories told about them false. Whats your stand? some view all the stories as just a cock and bull stories, the characters inclusive. Dont know your perspective. Stop shouting myth cos myth could mean false stories.

This is the age of information, your phone can help with that.
if you find out the reason why your own religion transcends to next generation you will find out the reason why the oldest world religion still lingers till today.... Go ask a hindusmiley

Chai, runaway soldier.

You see your life?

why do you keep showing yourself up to be pretty banked up upstairs.

This shows you have no idea what a myth is and that is so sad....

Let me give you another basic tutor to see if you can at least discern what a myth means.

"JMAN05 was born on earth but he had wings and could carry the earth on his shoulder and had a deity as a father"

That JMAN05 is a human can be a fact but he had wings, carry the earth, deity father is pure unadulterated myth.

You really need to go get a grasp of modern historicity and stop making a complete nonsense of yourself.

Archeological finds reconstructs historical facts and deducts exactly how the story plays out and dismisses the employment of myths (preternatural fabrications) found in the stories.

Oga, those this mean that you accept all bible character as real, but the stories told about them false? Stop being stupid, some view even the bible characters, locations as myth. While you accept one thing as true, others may view the whole story as myth.

But before the acheaological finds, those stories were true. Can your skull carry that?

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 5:11pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05
Please show me the clarification in Deutronomy.

The Yahweh you used as a lesser god is absurd especially when Yahweh has been in use before the Journey to Canaan.

Let me help you out with context.

The prophets of the Old Testament practically knocked themselves out railing against Baal, Asherah and various other gods. Why? Mainly because the people of Israel worshipped these gods along with, and sometimes instead of, YHWH, the God of Israel. We gained a fresh perspective of this denunciation when the Ugaritic texts were discovered, because at Ugarit these were the very gods that were worshipped.
El was the chief god at Ugarit. Yet El is also the name of God used in many of the Psalms for YHWH; or at least that has been the assumption among Christians. Yet when you read these Psalms and the Ugaritic texts you discover that the very attributes for which YHWH is acclaimed are the same for which El is acclaimed. In fact, these Psalms were most likely originally Ugaritic or Canaanite hymns to El which were simply adopted by Israel.

In 1 Kings 22:19-22 we read of YHWH meeting with his heavenly council. This is the very description of heaven which one finds in the Ugaritic texts. For in those texts the “sons of god” are the sons of El.

Other deities worshipped at Ugarit were El Shaddai, El Elyon, and El Berith. All of these names are applied to YHWH by the writers of the Old Testament. What this means is that the Hebrew theologians adopted the titles of the Canaanite gods and attributed them to YHWH in an effort to eliminate them. If Yahweh is all of these there is no need for the Canaanite gods to exist! This process is known as assimilation.
One of the more important lesser deities at Ugarit was Baal. Baal is described as the “rider on the clouds” in KTU 1.3 II 40. Interestingly enough, this description is also used of Yahweh in Psalm 68:5.

In the Old Testament Baal is named 58 times in the singular and 18 times in the plural. The prophets protested constantly against the love affair the Israelites had with Baal ( Hosea 2:19, for example). The reason Israel was so attracted to Baal was that, first of all, some Israelites viewed YHWH as a God of the desert and so when they arrived in Canaan they thought it only proper to adopt Baal, the god of fertility. As the old saying goes, “whose land, his god”. For these Israelites YHWH was useful in the desert but not much help in the land.

There is one particular Ugaritic text which indicates that among the inhabitants of Ugarit, YHWH was viewed as another son of El. KTU 1.1 IV 14 says:
sm . bny . yw . ilt

“The name of the son of god, Yahweh.”

This text seems to show that Yahweh was known at Ugarit, though not as the Lord but as one of the many sons of El.

Therefore the implications of my statement with respect to the Divine council in Deut 32,8 should be clear to you by now. We now know from the Ugaritic writings that EL fathered seventy sons, therefore the seventy sons referred to in the book of Deuteronomy are in fact sons of the Ugaritic EL.

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 17, 2015
Angelou:
i thought this God in question is called Amon-Ra... Where did you guys get the Amen From? Or did the hieroglyph translate directly to Amen?
Mr Sarassin I'd like to know if you are an atheist, agnostic, or member of an old confraternity dating back to pre-judaism Era?

I believe your question has been answered.
Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 5:13pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:
Where is sarassin?

Right here.
Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 5:16pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:

You see? am even arguing with someone who doesn't even know the meaning of myth and you have been yapping here since Pheeew quite demeaning..

Here please help yourself http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/myth

Oh meeeeehn what is this abject show of lunacy.

Come barbie please go look up the meaning of MYTH and it's usage in historicity.

" Historicity is the historical actuality of persons and events, meaning the
quality of being part of history as opposed to being a historical myth , legend ,
or fiction "

please go read about historicity and the deductive methods in contrasts to it's myths and fictions.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity

I cannot keep discussing with someone who doesn't even know the premise he is arguing over just chipping in what ever absurd thinking that pops up into his head...

From the definition you gave above, are you saying that myth cannot mean a fictitious story? Which of the definitions do you have in mind? I wonder if you read what i read or you see double.

I ve not yet read your wiki. It has something different from what we are discussing. it seems. unless you have something different from what i have in mind.

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 17, 2015
johnydon22:
You see why i call you a princess, because of the punny arguments you put up betraying epileptic cognition.

Please can someone help me tell this boy that Emperors or other humans being deified has nothing to do with the conventional God or religion of the people"

Messi is called the God of soccer, such distinctions is a show of respect it doesn't mean the subject is a conventional deity or has effect on religion... Wooow this is new..

Oga, Amenhotep IV view himself as divine. Stop this childish attitude and go into history. Not limiting yourself to wiki.

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 5:27pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

Oga, where did God impregnant Mary?
You obviously are doing a bad job at this.

Yahweh made mary pregnant and she had Jesus who was called the son of God

just like

Zeus made Alcmene pregnant and she had Heracles who was called the son of God.

Oga myth can mean a story believe to be true, but which is not. But you have a different view. Many view Jesus as a myth, it seems you believe him. So tell us what you specifically call myth in biblical stories.

Do you accept all the characters as real humans and the stories told about them false. Whats your stand? some view all the stories as just a cock and bull stories, the characters inclusive. Dont know your perspective. Stop shouting myth cos myth could mean false stories.
You see why you keep falling your own hands.

Let me repeat myself again

Let me repeat myself once more so as to know if you can at least deduct
some little things from it for an upgrade because you clearly need it.

Just like i mentioned in the other thread; There [size=20]may[/size] have been a historical
Hercules, Achilles of even a Jesus in the roman Israeli outpost.

But when it is mentioned that Achilles body was invincible except heels, his
mother was a Goddess (Nymph), Heracles has a father which is a God,
Zeus, killed a snake with many heads, helped atlas carry the earth or Jesus
had a father which is a God named yahweh, replaced a severed ear and so
on.

That is the myth amidst the fable. . .You obviously have no idea what a
myth means.

Pay mind to the word [size=20] may[/size] and that is the nature of skepticism. Now you can refer to the definition of historicity and Myth like i gave you on the post above to cure your daftness

Chai, runaway soldier.
Pheeeew alright kiddo...

Oga, those this mean that you accept all bible character as real, but the stories told about them false? Stop being stupid, some view even the bible characters, locations as myth. While you accept one thing as true, others may view the whole story as myth.

Clearly enough your cognitive ability is really impaired.

Just like Homeric characters, Shruti, quranic, biblical and all other legendary characters in ancient antiquity i hold a skeptic nature the the historicity of such characters but is in coincide with modern historical deduction.

Gave an e.g with the Homeric Character Achilles: Achilles [size=20]May[/size] be a historical character but within the story; That Achilles is born of a Goddess is a myth. Even a primary school student find this clear enough to grasp. . am sorry you lack that..

But before the acheaological finds, those stories were true. Can your skull carry that?
In coincide with archeological findings; Myths should be identified as myths, fables as fables. . teaching these superstitions as truth is quite retarding.. One look at your sheepish subscription to such degrading superstitions buttresses this point further.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

If you accuse Deuteronomy of being copied from amenemope, you still accuse it of being copied from Hammurabi code. This shows that you just want to discredit the bible by all means.

You are wrong, Sir Charles Marston, on page 51 of his book The Bible Comes Alive, says: “It seems certain that Hammurabi’s laws were a codification of the older and existing laws and customs of the Semitic Race—the race that sprung from Noah’s son Shem, the race to which the Hebrews belonged.” The evidence is, therefore, that heathen nations carried over many ancient laws and customs from the Noachian system of law and order, which pattern the faithful Hebrew patriarchs followed.

Moreover, examining the two systems of law, that of Hammurabi and that given through Moses, the latter is seen to be the more just and equitable of the two and hence the more faithful to the original legal system that came into being among God’s faithful people. For instance, if an Israelite slaveholder became brutal and struck a male or female slave so that an eye was lost he was forced to let the slave go free, while under Hammurabi’s code he was let off with merely paying half the slave’s value. (Ex. 21:26; Ham. No. 199) Hammurabi’s code said: “If it [a poorly constructed house] cause the death of a son of the owner of the house, they shall put to death a son of that builder.” (Ham. No. 230) But the Mosaic law code specifically forbade putting to death a son for his father’s sin: “Fathers should not be put to death on account of children and children should not be put to death on account of fathers. Each one should be put to death for his own sin.”—Deut. 24:16, NW.

Where have I stated that Deuteronomy is copied word for word from the instructions of Amenemopet?, you are simply being disingenous, what is well accepted is that particular chapters of the book of proverbs is closely linked to the above codex, you should also read the hymn to ATEN and compare it to Psalm 104, and so what if the Deutero-canonicals were based on the Hammurabi code and enhanced, it was a good thing. The bible does not need me to discredit it, most of you Christians manage that quite well, and this Marston fellow implying that the Hammurabi Laws are the dregs of Noahide Law is a clown.

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 5:35pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

Oga, Amenhotep IV view himself as divine. Stop this childish attitude and go into history. Not limiting yourself to wiki.

Oh nutters **Face palm**

What will it take to teach this barbie that deifying of a kingly nature or other type of human deifications has no tilt on conventional Gods or religion.

Amenhotep IV referred to himself as the son of Aten that surely is a divine claim..(Son of Aten)

Same way Guru marahaji lays claim to divinity but yet it doesn't hold sway on conventional Gods.

You clearly need a bit of help to develop a little sound cognitive ability.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by johnydon22(m): 5:43pm On Sep 17, 2015
JMAN05:

From the definition you gave above, are you saying that myth cannot mean a fictitious story? Which of the definitions do you have in mind? I wonder if you read what i read or you see double.
I ve not yet read your wiki. It has something different from what we are discussing. it seems. unless you have something different from what i have in mind.

It's getting quite tiring explaining how modern historicity identifies myth in an antiquity.

MYTH
A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people
or explaining a natural or social phenomenon, and [size=15]typically involving
supernatural beings or events:[/size]

and i also gave examples of this by demonstrating how a character that might be historical is infused with some mythical events..

which i gave numerous examples with the Homeric character Achilles, let me repeat the same example.

" Achilles [size=16]May[/size] be a historical character but within the story; That Achilles is born of a Goddess is a myth.

Even a primary school student find this clear enough to grasp. . am sorry you lack that..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Amen....to This. by Angelou(m): 5:25pm On Sep 18, 2015
Sarassin:

I believe your question has been answered.
you have not answered my question about your religious affinity
Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 10:29pm On Sep 18, 2015
Angelou:
you have not answered my question about your religious affinity

I have no religion, I practice Tantra.
Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 8:23am On Sep 19, 2015
Sarassin:

Let me help you out with context.

The prophets of the Old Testament practically knocked themselves out railing against Baal, Asherah and various other gods. Why? Mainly because the people of Israel worshipped these gods along with, and sometimes instead of, YHWH, the God of Israel. We gained a fresh perspective of this denunciation when the Ugaritic texts were discovered, because at Ugarit these were the very gods that were worshipped.
El was the chief god at Ugarit. Yet El is also the name of God used in many of the Psalms for YHWH; or at least that has been the assumption among Christians. Yet when you read these Psalms and the Ugaritic texts you discover that the very attributes for which YHWH is acclaimed are the same for which El is acclaimed. In fact, these Psalms were most likely originally Ugaritic or Canaanite hymns to El which were simply adopted by Israel.

In 1 Kings 22:19-22 we read of YHWH meeting with his heavenly council. This is the very description of heaven which one finds in the Ugaritic texts. For in those texts the “sons of god” are the sons of El.

Other deities worshipped at Ugarit were El Shaddai, El Elyon, and El Berith. All of these names are applied to YHWH by the writers of the Old Testament. What this means is that the Hebrew theologians adopted the titles of the Canaanite gods and attributed them to YHWH in an effort to eliminate them. If Yahweh is all of these there is no need for the Canaanite gods to exist! This process is known as assimilation.
One of the more important lesser deities at Ugarit was Baal. Baal is described as the “rider on the clouds” in KTU 1.3 II 40. Interestingly enough, this description is also used of Yahweh in Psalm 68:5.

In the Old Testament Baal is named 58 times in the singular and 18 times in the plural. The prophets protested constantly against the love affair the Israelites had with Baal ( Hosea 2:19, for example). The reason Israel was so attracted to Baal was that, first of all, some Israelites viewed YHWH as a God of the desert and so when they arrived in Canaan they thought it only proper to adopt Baal, the god of fertility. As the old saying goes, “whose land, his god”. For these Israelites YHWH was useful in the desert but not much help in the land.

There is one particular Ugaritic text which indicates that among the inhabitants of Ugarit, YHWH was viewed as another son of El. KTU 1.1 IV 14 says:
sm . bny . yw . ilt

“The name of the son of god, Yahweh.”

This text seems to show that Yahweh was known at Ugarit, though not as the Lord but as one of the many sons of El.

Therefore the implications of my statement with respect to the Divine council in Deut 32,8 should be clear to you by now. We now know from the Ugaritic writings that EL fathered seventy sons, therefore the seventy sons referred to in the book of Deuteronomy are in fact sons of the Ugaritic EL.

It is not yet clear. Maybe I misunderstood you somewhere or the argument wasnt plausible. I think you are trying to prove how Yahweh was among the sons of El. From that standpoint:

You stated that

1. the Prophets (of Yahweh) spoke against the worship of Baal, Asherah, etc. I agree

2. that El was worship at Ugarit. I agree, and also agree that he was the Chief god of other gods worshiped in Canaan.

3. you also stated that El was used as the name of God. Well, it appears that your statement with regards to that point was assumed. I do not agree that "El" was used as the name of God in the Psalms. I will only agree that it was used a title. Psalm 83:18 shows that Yahweh is the name of God. others were titles.

It is of interest that El is used as a common noun in the bible, not a proper name. because the same name is used of humans and lesser gods. That in fact is not how it is used in Canaan.

By your stating that

a. El is used as the name of Yahweh, and

b. also quoting the "divine council" where Yahweh presided the meeting, you created a disconnect in your argument.

How can Yahweh be the son of El, while He(Yahweh) still presided in the council of gods?

Another one is: How can Yahweh be the son of El, and yet be the same god as El?

El as Canaanites view him, has Asherah as his consort. That is not true with Yahweh of the bible.

El in the Hebrew scriptures is translated at Theos in greek to show that this is a title or a common noun not a proper name. That is different from how Ugarit view the name.

On Deut 32:8

To Abraham and his seed God promised a certain land with definitely stated boundaries. (Ge 15:18-21; Ex 23:31) God permitted the resident Canaanites to continue dwelling in that Promised Land for a foretold period of “four hundred years” more before he would enforce an eviction decree when “the error of the Amorites” came to its completion. (Ge 15:13-16) On the other hand, Jehovah God also decreed that the Israelites should not encroach on the boundaries of the nations of Edom, Moab, and Ammon, anciently descended from relatives of the Israelites’ forefathers. (De 2:4, 5, 18, 19) The words of Moses’ song in Deuteronomy 32:8 are to be understood in the light of these facts. That text says: “When the Most High gave the nations an inheritance, when he parted the sons of Adam from one another, he proceeded to fix the boundary of the peoples with regard for the number of the sons of Israel.

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 10:40pm On Sep 19, 2015
Sarassin:

I thought this thread was dead and buried !

What is your evidence that the Aten came to prominence only after the Hebrews/Canaanites had departed Egypt?

Jews are not Canaanotes.

Granted, Egypt chronology is nothing to hold on to as accurate. however, it was Amenhotep IV's wife that persuaded him to make Aten-Ra the State god. And we know that his rulership spanned probably from 1391 - 1353 B.C.E. At this time, the Jews had left Egypt.

Previously, the God they generally held to in Egypt was Amen-Ra. Of course, the change brought about a revolution.

Biblical scholars place Moses historically in Egypt roughly around the time of Pharaoh Amenhotep III and his son who later changed his name to Akhenaten in honour of Aten. Moses who grew up in the household of Pharaoh clearly did not worship the God of Israel, only when he flees Egypt upon committing murder and goes into hiding at Midian does he become acquainted with the God of Israel, he had to ask YHWH to identify himself. If we place Moses in Egypt under the reign of Pharaoh Amenhotep III and his son Akhenaten then he would have been a worshipper of Amen-Ra and latterly ATEN.

Having given a reason above, bear that in mind, while I respond to your second comment.

Scholars differ as to the Pharoah who was in sit during the exodus. logical biblical chronology makes it hard to hinge it on Amenhotep III rulership. Some scholars say it maybe Amenhotep II, some Ramses I. It is hardly Amenhotep III or his son.

Moses knew God and His name. The question he asked at Exodus 3 is not as to who God is. He likely has not seen God display his power to be sure He would fulfill the word He was telling him about freeing the Israelites. His parents must have told him about Jehovah. We vividly recall he never wanted to be associated with Pharaoah's house cos he knew his history.

The use of Yahweh had been in use before Moses came on board. And the sons of Jacob may have transmitted the past history to their sons, and thus the story spread.

The major disagreement I know we have is the issue of chronology. You probably use dating favoured by some scholars, while I use biblical chronological date.

But I think that we can deduce the fact that Amen-Ra was the state god during the rule of the two Amenhoteps. This can be deduced from there name; [b]Amen[/b]hotep - The peace of Amon. This shows that they met Amen-Ra as the state god before Amenhotep IV came and changed the State god, thereby changing his own name.

My evidence is that till today on particular Temples dedicated to the Aten there are symbols and hieroglyphs carved upon the main beams connecting columns and pillars. Of particular interest and prominence are those being that of a circle with falcon wings representing Akhenaten and others of water being poured from a jug or into cupped hands…….the emblem of the priestly caste of the house of Levi. These images persist in Masonic and Rosicrucian symbolisms as well as in Kabbala rituals.

It is true that Aten worship has certain similarity with that of Jewish worship, and its rituals look similar. However, the two are not the same. Aten worshipers do not have a closed temple cos the worship is purely solar, they worship in open sunlight. They do have an image of solar disk. Those are different from Jewish worship.

I do not know when the event you posted above happened.

Further, the only evidence that exists today of any exodus or mass movement of people from Egypt (of which I am sure you are unaware) is the Egyptian written history of the exodus of an entire city, which was the new capital of Egypt, Akhehaten named after Akhenaten who instituted the worship of Aten, this exodus took place in 1344BCE.

I dont know how you arrive at your dating, but as I said above, the bible does not agree with that date.

Divinity 101, early Hebrew worshippers were not permitted to utter the name YHWH, if you do not know this then you are singularly uninformed. The name could be written but never spoken, when there came a time for the name to be read out loud it was substituted by the word LORD, it is well known that the name of the Egyptian deity ATEN transliterates to the Hebrew word ADON used in the Hebrew Bible, in the English Bible it is LORD, or if you prefer, ADONAI, meaning My LORD.[/quote]

My Lords. This word adonai is used as title also. Is that the way Egyptians use the name?

2. it wasnt in the time of Moses that people cease from pronouncing the name. The hebrew scriptures is filled with examples of people who pronounced the name.

Again, misinformed.

There is strong evidence to suggest that the Hebrews who departed Egypt brought their Egypt deity worship along with them and in fact there are strong hints of the Hebrew priestly caste performing what would become dual roles as priests initially to ATEN and then eventually to YHWH

For instance Merari, the youngest son of Levi, who became the ancestor of the Merarites, one of the three branches of the Levite priesthood, is traditionally thought to derive his name from the Hebrew/Canaanite word meaning 'bitter'. However, it is more likely that it comes from the Egyptian mrry/mrrì, meaning 'to love', or 'beloved'. Curiously enough, there was a Mery-re II, a high priest of the Aten, who lived during the reign of Akhenaten and whose empty rock-cut tomb is situated in the cliffs beyond the site of Akhenaten's city.

Then there is Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the high priest and chief of the Levites, who was the grandson of Aaron. He played an active role during Israel's forty years of wandering in the wilderness, and went on to become the ancestor of the Zadok priesthood. The Hebrew meaning of his name is 'mouth of brass', but it quite clearly derives from the Egyptian Pinehsy, meaning 'the Nubian', indicating a person with dark skin or a true Nubian.(his mother was Putiel) Strangely enough, there was also a Pinehesy, a Chief Servitor of ATEN, who lived during the reign of Akhenaten. Like that of Mery-re II, his empty tomb can be found in the cliffs beyond the site of Akhenaten's city.

These are actual historical figures, whilst I cannot state with certainty that the aforementioned were indeed the descendants of the Levites the timelines fit and on a balance of probabilities, and not just simple coincidence, it seems the Hebrew priests served the ATEN and then departed the city in haste.

And lets not forget, there is also Moses, son of AMRAM, it is worth pointing out that the heavenly father of Aten was named IMRAM, coincidence?

I still maintain that the Hebrews in Egypt were there when Aten has not become prominent.

Yahweh has no heavenly father. Thats a big difference. dont you agree?

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 11:08pm On Sep 19, 2015
Sarassin:

Where have I stated that Deuteronomy is copied word for word from the instructions of Amenemopet?, you are simply being disingenous, what is well accepted is that particular chapters of the book of proverbs is closely linked to the above codex, you should also read the hymn to ATEN and compare it to Psalm 104, and so what if the Deutero-canonicals were based on the Hammurabi code and enhanced, it was a good thing. The bible does not need me to discredit it, most of you Christians manage that quite well, and this Marston fellow implying that the Hammurabi Laws are the dregs of Noahide Law is a clown.

I dont remember talking about Deutero-canonicals.

You said:

Likewise, there is considerable Egyptian influence on early Hebrew literature, the Book of Psalms, Proverbs and Deuteronomy attest to this, you will find passages word for word taken from the Instructions of Amenemope (an Eggyptian codex) in these books, indeed the book of Amenemope has been used to clarify verses in the book of proverbs.

1 Like

Re: Amen....to This. by Nobody: 11:40pm On Sep 19, 2015
johnydon22:

Oh nutters **Face palm**

What will it take to teach this barbie that deifying of a kingly nature or other type of human deifications has no tilt on conventional Gods or religion.

Amenhotep IV referred to himself as the son of Aten that surely is a divine claim..(Son of Aten)

Same way Guru marahaji lays claim to divinity but yet it doesn't hold sway on conventional Gods.

You clearly need a bit of help to develop a little sound cognitive ability.

If god is worship, and his son is also worshiped. This is no longer monotheism in as much as the two require worship.

See this:

To the king, my lord, my god, my Sun, the Sun from the sky: Message of Yapahu, the ruler of Gazru, your servant, the dirt at your feet. I indeed prostrate myself at the feet of the king, my lord, my god, my Sun...7 times and 7 times, on the stomach and on the back. I am indeed guarding the place of the king, my lord, the Sun of the sky, where I am, and all the things the king, my lord, has written me, I am indeed carrying out--everything! Who am I, a dog, and what is my house... and what is anything I have, that the orders of the king, my lord, the Sun from the sky, should not obey constantly?

I dont know how you see it John, but I dont view that man's religion as monotheism. I however, respect your position. And I think it will be wise to agree to disagree.

You stated what you mean by Myth. Granted, I view it as fiction, which is also another meaning for myth, but you view it as a tale of supernatural happenings about a deity. Did I get you right?

If your stand is not that all event/character mentioned in the account are inevitably false, then I dont have much problem with that. I now think that discussion with you should be centered on the specific things you doubt its authenticity. Generally stating that it was copied from Myth A or Myth B wont be plausible to me, since myth is not the same as fiction (At least I thought that was ur stand).

Best Wishes!

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kenya Refuses To Register Atheist Group / Good Morning Have A Lovely Weekend! Ihaveagod.com / PHOTOS: Deeper Life Completes Its Headquarters Church Which Is The World’s 4th L

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 159
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.