Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,808 members, 7,956,067 topics. Date: Sunday, 22 September 2024 at 11:39 PM

National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. - NYSC (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. (15531 Views)

Should The National Youth Service Corps (nysc) Scheme Be Reformed Or Scrapped? / Is There Any Implication Of Not Going To Youth Service? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by Dahjhi: 7:26am On Jun 03, 2015
For the first time I read an article as long as that. Good command of English. And I support only one core thing in there... :Corruption in the grassroot- But I will say the govt initiated it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:36am On Jun 03, 2015
Very well composed write up. To see we were in camp same batch, that's my roommate Tobi by your left in that red cross photo.
It is fair that I comment as you raised certain issues, amidst all, privileged to be in the kitchen for duty. How those staff loot food stuff meant for Corp members is an embarrassment, they do it without shame leaving Corp members malnourished. This has to be looked into.
angry

2 Likes

Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by oyeludef(m): 7:47am On Jun 03, 2015
seunwen2:
error 343 article too long i would advice you to join obs immediately
obs after service year? He is obviously a batch B corps member nd will b passing out next month
Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by shumax: 8:03am On Jun 03, 2015
Personally I had Hoped that NYSC would be scraped, but I must confess,, my time in camp remains one of my most memorable ever. I served in Abuja Batch c 2010, and things doesnt seem to have changed Much Igbos still form more than 70 percent of people posted to Abj
Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by VhatAmazingDude: 8:47am On Jun 03, 2015
kunlesufyan:
Good command of English... You go school *thumbs up*.....

He definitely went to school. Else, he won't have had this experience.
As for the 'command of English' part, I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but I could see errors in that post without even trying. Probably you couldn't, but then, we all have different levels of knowledge in different fields.
A worthwhile experience all the same.

1 Like

Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by VhatAmazingDude: 9:00am On Jun 03, 2015
I was firmly of the opinion that NYSC should be scrapped until I got to my PPA; Onyah in Delta State.
After taking in the pitiable situation of the environment and their behavioural dispositions, I was like 'These people need Jesus', and arguably so because it's hard to believe it's one of the so-called oil communities'.
The reasons for which I'ld love it to be scrapped is because of the fact that people still influence their posting (making mockery of the mission 'to serve' in the first place). Also, the indiscipline that abounds in camp is one of the worst I've ever witnessed in my life and the officers(officials) are constitutionally powerless to apply drastic measures. Where then is the assurance that we'ld leave a community better than we met it?
If the scheme is to remain potent, then these 'issues' must be effectively tackled.

2 Likes

Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:19pm On Jun 03, 2015
Interesting alternate Hypothesis..make i see weda i fit use am for Pxxx
Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:52pm On Jun 03, 2015
Mogidi:
It has not eliminated ignorance, it has instead reinforced what it was meant to eradicate. It should be scrapped sharp sharp, waste of resources.
Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by abbey621(m): 1:21pm On Jun 03, 2015
I still maintain that NYSC is a waste of time and effort considering the nation's situation. After struggling through 4 or 5 years of subpar university education, you now force graduates to live for a year in a certain part of the country not caring for their security or well being. In addition, vast majority of NYSC corpers are given tasks which has nothing to do with their degree of study. Furthermore to make things worse, they are released after a year into a job market in which the odds are stacked against them from day one. Simply ridiculous! Till the government and private sector comes together to fix the high unemployment rate in the nation, till we see improved security for not only corpers but all citizens of the nation, NYSC remains nothing but a waste of time! The only reason people are still interested in it is because of the bogus statute in the constitution enforcing the scheme, for goodness sake I still know many people which youth service ended 4 or 5 years ago and are still looking for a job, some say that they are unlucky but I believe they trusted the system and the system kicked them in the a**, it's high time the system receives a makeover!
Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by butanep(m): 3:03pm On Jun 03, 2015
masterjo:
Nysc is as useless as used toilet tissue. The only thing is that an easy way for cheap labour and slavery .
its for employers. I served in the office of the governor, directorate of ict and I was paid N2500 about €12 at the end of month.
Yet that silly yooloba director and his brothers insist I come work through all days of the week else I wont get discharge letter.
The Scheme sometimes is just frustrating. It's like modern day slavery. Your own was good. You were sure of the money. My school was paying me N1500 and was able to pay for just 6month... The school will always complain when you are absent.

Sometime I just feel am wasting my precious time doing nothing important.

If nor be the babes when I get around that keep me company and keep me active... the scheme for boring... I mush tell you.

Thanks to God... He nor easy
Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by Nobody: 8:29pm On Jun 03, 2015
Sweetguy25:
Honestly, if I was president of this useless country, one of the decisions I'll take would be to remodify or scrap this useless scheme.

NYSC should be not be mandatory. Graduates should have an option of enlisting to the NYSC service or go straight to the job market.

Forty years after this useless scheme was instituted, the same reasons that prompted the enactment of the scheme is still lingering, even stronger than ever.

What caused the civil war was injustice and injustice still prevails(constitutionally) till today.

You only talked about the hausa people you met on camp. What happened to your fifteen Igbo roommates? You kill dem?
You couldn't have said it any better. The program has outlived its usefulness.
Re: National Youth Service Corps: A Scheme To Eliminate Ignorance In Nigeria. by GoodGovernance: 9:09pm On Jun 03, 2015
The NYSC Scheme should be CHANGED to a poverty elimination(100% agricultural) scheme.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

731 Corpers Test Positive For COVID-19 – Presidential Task Force / Corps Members Appreciate Woman With Marching Parade For Providing Water(photos) / NYSC Graduate Internship At General Electric For Nigerian Graduates 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.