Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,671 members, 7,809,552 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:10 AM

Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. (43550 Views)

Is It Right To Say 'Thank Ma' To Your Mother-In-Law After Eating? / He Was Expecting A Range Rover From His Rich In-law (Photos) / My Mother-In-law Visits Too Often, How Do I Deal With That? Please Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Richy4(m): 11:30pm On May 22, 2015
MKO4ever:
Pls what is OMUGWO?

name given to a mother in law that comes for baby sitting.

3 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by AreaFada2: 11:32pm On May 22, 2015
Osyxcel:
OP, what is Omugwo?

Is when a nan comes to look after her daughter/daughter-in-law and new baby.

And she can stay anything from a week to 3 years! cheesy grin

@OP,

Whatever you buy, ensure there is very high quality George lace material among it. Assorted types/colours if possible.
Don't overdo it though.
Add money on top. A decent amount too.

But it depends on the woman's socio-economic situation. If she's a multi-millionaire, giving her 50 or 100k won't really seem right. A valuable present would do.

2 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Osyxcel(m): 11:36pm On May 22, 2015
AreaFada2:

Wow... Learnt something new today. Thanks cool

1 Like

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by uprightman(m): 11:47pm On May 22, 2015
demodema:
meaning what?
After a lady put to bed according to Igbo custom her mother will come and help her daughter on bathing baby and pressing hot water on new mother. This can last for one or two months.That practice is what Igbo call omugwo.normally mother do come with life chicken and other sturf.

4 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Karence(f): 12:19am On May 23, 2015
my sister is Igbo,married uhrobo,when her mother in law for omugwu she asked for full omugwu rights,my bros in law obliged
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by kliq(m): 12:23am On May 23, 2015
Edwardhead:
[size=32pt]Petrol 50 Ltrs[/size]

Hahaha cheesy

1 Like

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by NobleG1(m): 12:26am On May 23, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Hey Nairaland family. Please what items should be presented to ones mother in law as gifts after staying for OMUGWO?

Pls I need your responses urgently.
cc: Lalasticlala

For me I did the following;

1. Bought her four original Hollandaise wrappers (shipped from Holland) with four fitting blouses (from a designer in Abuja) and four Italian shoes (shipped in by my friend in Italy, who gave me a pair as gift).
2. Gave her 100K.

My in-law's response was funny. She asked me when is the next baby coming?

So do according to your pocket my friend.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Mcowubaba: 1:22am On May 23, 2015
Give her the baby cheesy grin

No try am ooo.....

Just ask ur wife wetin u go buy her mama....the mama don tell am already indirectly......

4 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by obodop: 1:30am On May 23, 2015
Wrapper, salt, cash, hot drink for the father in law with cash and general item like soap, detergent etc. Check your wallet though!!!. Cus I no fit south.
undecided
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by danladii(m): 1:34am On May 23, 2015
Anything From your church mind.
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by odumchi: 3:08am On May 23, 2015
Do the Urhobo call the same practice which the Igbo refer to as 'omugwo' by the same name as well?

2 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by dougivilla(m): 4:20am On May 23, 2015
adetension:
::: I
need job if any nairalander can help me out this is
my num if you can call me may the lord help you as
you do your best in my life I study civil engineering
just ND any assistance I will be so greatful. Here are
my number 08108173717 $ 08074619932. GOD bless
you as you do
You don't have a job and you're maintaining more than one line? Abi Buhari DON dey pay you that moni wey he promise unemployed graduates.

Abeg go use the second line for call centre business. Job ko, Job chapter 1:1 ni!!!

1 Like

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Ewuro4: 4:24am On May 23, 2015
Wrapper , 5 bags of rice to share & MONEY grin

Learnt all that on NL.
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Nobody: 4:34am On May 23, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Hey Nairaland family. Please what items should be presented to ones mother in law as gifts after staying for OMUGWO?

Pls I need your responses urgently.
cc: Lalasticlala

Check your pocket
Ask your mom
She will tell you the right things to buy

George wrappers and laces are a must sha in Igbo culture
It is assumed that carrying the new baby wore out her wrappers

4 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by benuejosh: 5:31am On May 23, 2015
Na must to buy something?
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Jamean(f): 6:00am On May 23, 2015
Hehe...Mama Ufuoma come hear o! They are suggesting what can be given to you after omugwo.
We sha want....
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by wordcat(m): 6:11am On May 23, 2015
ashile:
make una talk oooh

cos i wan learn now

cos MIL go soon show

It depends on your pocket but most common things are;
Wrapper(4 to 6 pieces)
Headgears(2 to 3 pieces)
Shoes(2 to 4 pairs)
Powder
Provisions
Cash(like 30k or above, excluding transport fare)
Travelling bag(she needs to put those gifts from u in a new bag so it is a MUST)

Hot drink and walking stick(for the father and a cash of 10k or above "if he's still alive)

MAKE SURE THAT ANYTHING YOU'RE BUYING IS OF GOOD QUALITY

2 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by wordcat(m): 6:25am On May 23, 2015
benuejosh:
Na must to buy something?

It is not Compulsory but Necessary so its now down on u to know the meaning of the two words.

2 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by goldmine(f): 6:36am On May 23, 2015
Osyxcel:
OP, what is Omugwo?

When a woman puts to bed, she is usually too weak and overwhelmed to properly take care of herself,the new baby and her family. She would need ample time to rest from all the rigours of pregnancy and labour and for her body to heal. This is where the need for a very experienced hand comes in. In most tribes(the igbos for sure), it is the woman's mother that is expected to come for 'Omugwo' which has to do with taking proper care of the new mother and baby.

In some other tribes(like Yoruba for example), it is the woman's mother in law that has the responsibility to come and do it. A lot of new mothers would rather have their own mum do it. In some cases, especially inter tribal marriages, both the mother and mother in law come one after another has stayed for a particular period.

Some mothers go as far as doing almost everything for the woman who has just put to bed-from bathing the new mum,bathing the baby and general care of the baby, doing the cooking in the home to ensuring the house is kept tidy. Some limit their care to the baby alone. Some stay for as long as 3months or more, others stay for 2 weeks. It all depends on how much time the new grandmum has to spare,if she had to take leave from work to come over(cause some are still working),or if she had to leave a husband and kids behind to come. The more the responsibility the older woman left behind,most likely the shorter her stay

After this period of taking care of mother and baby,the couple are expected to buy Mama gifts as she is leaving. It's more like an expression of gratitude for all she has done. What they buy or give her varies from tribe to tribe, Mama's taste and also the budget of the couple.

8 Likes

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by gbaskiboy: 6:42am On May 23, 2015
allanphash7:
what is omugwo??

or are you trying to say your mother in law is omugo?

am a yoruba manpls
if you pronounce it the way it's written in yoruba na serious wahala be dat..look for an ibo friend, they'll tell u more about it
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by MrBasketball: 6:51am On May 23, 2015
AreaFada2:

@OP,

Whatever you buy, ensure there is very high quality George lace material among it. Assorted types/colours if possible.
Don't overdo it though.
Add money on top. A decent amount too.

But it depends on the woman's socio-economic situation. If she's a multi-millionaire, given her 50 or 100k won't really seem right. A valuable present would do.

I firstly heard that from my girlfriend omugwo.

When i told her my mum went to my sisters place when she gave birth, and she mentioned that to me.

If not her to saying it, i may not know and understand the meaning when people are saying it
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by tete7000(m): 6:58am On May 23, 2015
Edwardhead:
[size=32pt]Petrol 50 Ltrs[/size]

Oh boy, that na gold at this time. I concur. She can resell at N300/ltr if she chooses to and who knows with the way things are going, the price might even go up.

1 Like

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by MrBasketball: 7:03am On May 23, 2015
tete7000:

Oh boy, that na gold at this time. I concur. She can resell at N300/ltr if she chooses to and who knows with the way things are going, the price might even go up.
Chaii. cry
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Osyxcel(m): 7:04am On May 23, 2015
goldmine:

When a woman puts to bed, she is usually too weak and overwhelmed to properly take care of herself,the new baby and her family. She would need ample time to rest from all the rigours of pregnancy and labour and for her body to heal. This is where the need for a very experienced hand comes in. In most tribes(the igbos for sure), it is the woman's mother that is expected to come for 'Omugwo' which has to do with taking proper care of the new mother and baby.

In some other tribes(like Yoruba for example), it is the woman's mother in law that has the responsibility to come and do it. A lot of new mothers would rather have their own mum do it. In some cases, especially inter tribal marriages, both the mother and mother in law come one after another has stayed for a particular period.

Some mothers go as far as doing almost everything for the woman who has just put to bed-from bathing the new mum,bathing the baby and general care of the baby, doing the cooking in the home to ensuring the house is kept tidy. Some limit their care to the baby alone. Some stay for as long as 3months or more, others stay for 2 weeks. It all depends on how much time the new grandmum has to spare,if she had to take leave from work to come over(cause some are still working),or if she had to leave a husband and kids behind to come. The more the responsibility the older woman left behind,most likely the shorter her stay

After this period of taking care of mother and baby,the couple are expected to buy Mama gifts as she is leaving. It's more like an expression of gratitude for all she has done. What they buy or give her varies from tribe to tribe, Mama's taste and also the budget of the couple.

Very succinct... Thanks smiley
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by femi4: 7:34am On May 23, 2015
MKO4ever:
Pls what is OMUGWO?
Omugo means someone that is dull
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by nkemdi89(f): 7:41am On May 23, 2015
Since when urhobo start to do omugwo self? Chai
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by betty202020(m): 7:45am On May 23, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Urhobo
why asking tribe? Omugwo is omugwo

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by giftiy(m): 7:55am On May 23, 2015
juniormusa:

Some people may use this opportunity and scam you..just be careful bro
what dose he have that they will scam?

1 Like

Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by betty202020(m): 7:58am On May 23, 2015
Lateralmaths:
Urhobo
omugwo tinx, they nodey write list for it. It depends on ur purchasing power (money) 1 or 20wraper, food stuff, soap(bar or lux) and salt for fellow women that will visit her when she goes. Dont forget to add one or two tins of powder. In all it is cheap. As ur inlaw u can add provisions.
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by Neplusultra(f): 8:17am On May 23, 2015
Just give her cash to buy woteva she needs, dats if she's not dat old o but if she's aged, u can add bag of rice and wrappers, handbag etc p
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by marychommy(f): 8:20am On May 23, 2015
My dear what really matters is dat it came from your heart. You did it without complaining and dat you love her daughter v much and peace is at ur home. I normally call my mom wen she is ready to leave to kn if der is anything she needed desperately.
Re: Gifts For Mother In Law After Omugwo. by StephenJoseph(m): 8:21am On May 23, 2015
juniormusa:

Some people may use this opportunity and scam you..just be careful bro

Aboslutely true! Scammers will sense him and then scam him. He should be very careful ni

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Lady Takes Care Of A Homeless Street Boy She Met In Akwa Ibom. Photos / My Smallie Sister-in-law Makes My Life Difficult In My Own House / Pictures: Old Twins Ageing Gracefully

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.