Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,460 members, 7,770,144 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 05:41 AM

Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here (2709 Views)

Learn Photography And Videography In Ibadan / The Best Camera For Street Interview Videography / DSLR Videography (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 2:01pm On May 21, 2015
What Does a Wedding Videographer Do?

It is 2 p.m. You have been at work since eight o’clock this morning, and you have eight hours to
go. Your feet hurt from standing in dress shoes, your shoulder hurts from carrying a tripod, and
your head hurts because the bride is crying to her mother about last-minute changes to the
seating arrangement. You aren’t sure if you should record these stressful moments or retreat to
another room. You secretly wish the bride was wearing a microphone, but you’re pretty sure it
would be inappropriate to ask her to put one on at this moment. Complicating things for you is
the fact that the bride specified that she wanted lots of footage of the groom getting ready, but
that appears to consist of him watching TV in his hotel room. Should you tell him to get
dressed? Also, the ceremony starts in an hour, and you have yet to be allowed into the chapel to
assess lighting; you only have one chance to get the vows, and you have to make sure you’ll be
standing in the right place when they happen. And of course, the florist forgot the boutonnieres,
and is driving 60 miles round trip to her shop to pick them up—hopefully by show time. Stress
levels are higher than anything you’ve ever experienced…since last Saturday’s wedding, that is.
You are, in short, having a typical day on the job as a wedding videographer.
wwwx-mz..com

Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 11:42pm On May 30, 2015
The fact is, wedding videography is exhausting—with long hours, heavy gear, high stress—
but it is also incredibly rewarding. As a wedding videographer, you will be regularly
surrounded by people joyfully celebrating. Besides, wedding videographers thrive in a
somewhat stressful environment and know that at least a small portion of the job is to
advise, calm, and help the couple through the day’s events. After all, the videographer has
probably been “backstage” at more weddings than the bride and groom. Wedding
videographers get the satisfaction of knowing that their tools, gear, and creative vision will
create a tribute to the couple and their important event. A wedding videographer’s artistry
will shape how the bride and groom perceive and remember the day itself.
There is an immense amount of colorful material to work with in building a wedding video:
leading characters in love, a supporting cast of friends and family, and a few settings almost
guaranteed to be beautiful (albeit often poorly lit and with bad audio). There are also some
dramatic moments already built into the script: the vows, the first kiss, the first dance, the
cake cutting. Even the most jaded wedding vendor can get teary during these moments.
Our culture is somewhat defined by lifecycle events such as weddings. A wedding videographer gets to see all the humanity and emotion that goes into these milestone occasions.
A good videographer treats this privilege respectfully and gratefully, as witness to the very
intimate, raw, and emotional moments of their clients’ lives. In the story’s re-telling, the
videographer re-lives this honor, and can both edit and enhance those moments to tell the
exact story the clients want

Why Is Wedding Videography Unique?

Wedding videography differs from other types of filmmaking and involves a distinct set of
challenges and rewards. Challenges include the following:
Typically, the wedding videographer plays every role in the production and
post-production cycle: shooter, sound engineer, grip, editor, audio mixer,
colorist, and motion graphic artist. Each one of these jobs is a specialty that
can require years of experience on its own before any level of expertise is
reached. Indeed, in a Hollywood setting, sound engineers and graphic artists
are rarely if ever in the same room together because their skills are so refined
and specialized. Nevertheless, the wedding videographer must possess the
full range of skills.

The wedding videographer must coordinate the expectations of the couple
with the realities of the shooting day. Having put excessive hours and Naira/Dollars
into planning their event, it is only natural that the couple wants everything
to be perfect. That translates to wanting a gorgeously produced video that
looks like a staged film with choreographed shots, mood lighting, and a
storyline. The fact is, although couples may want a feature film, the video
must be shot documentary style: single-take shooting in loud settings, under
uncontrollable light, with rapid scene changes—and no chance to redo shots.
(The couple will not recite their vows twice or have a second first kiss!) With
only one chance to capture most of the day’s events, the videographer must
constantly anticipate the next piece of action while calculating optimal light
and angles for the current shots. He or she must constantly pay attention to
sound quality and background noise, and must have the ideas and capacity to
quickly stage shots in unfamiliar locations on the fly. Finally, to give a
professional and feature-film look to poor-quality shots, a videographer must
be well versed in editing and effects techniques.

There are very few changes to the storyline in a wedding video: Boy meets
girl, they fall in love, they commit to each other for life, they throw a party. A
big creative exercise in wedding videography is cooking up new recipes with
similar ingredients. As you’ll find in subsequent posts, there are ways to approach
your work that will help you think about each couple—and their event—with
a fresh perspective and fresh eyes. It is important to get to know your clients,
which helps you give each couple the creativity they deserve for the event
they are building.

The Business Of weddings

Nearly by definition, a wedding videographer takes some joy from the excitement, beauty,
and tradition surrounding the lifecycle event in which he or she is participating. For some
vendors, the job satisfaction in wedding videography lies in the celebration itself; for others,
it comes from finding the perfect way to capture dramatic and emotional moments on
camera or creatively rendering these moments through artistic editing and effects. In my
decade of wedding videography, however, I have yet to meet the wedding vendor who got
started through a love of accounting. But as with any service business, operational logistics
such as budgeting, accounting, marketing and bidding jobs are integral to success.
Your arrival in the industry might change how you regard your business and your goals. For
example, suppose you had a great time shooting your cousin’s wedding for free and realized
that becoming a weekend wedding videographer would be an excellent way to make some
additional income. In that case, you’ll need to learn quite a bit about both the production
and post-production processes in order to remain competitive in the field. Or perhaps,
having graduated from film school, you’ve decided to start a collective with some colleagues
with the intent of supporting several videographers full-time. While your education will
undoubtedly serve you in the product you are creating, managing a wedding timeline—not to mention wedding clientele—may be quite different from managing the projects with which you are familiar. Most likely, you are testing the waters somewhere in between, with
some experience, small immediate goals, and larger long term ones.
Regardless of how you fell into this line of work and which aspects of it you hope to focus on, it’s important, as with any business, to consider and plan the ways in which you want your business to grow. As you get further along in your business development, you must revisit your goals, revising them and extending them to match the realities you face and the vision you are striving for.
Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 10:29am On Aug 14, 2015
Learn what it takes to get a video from idea to completion in this up-coming Digital Video Making Production Workshop: Date 31st august-2nd Sept.
You'll Learn
pre-production
Lighting Techniques for indoors, studio, and Outdoor
Audio for Video
Image control and camcorder basis
Editing
For more info visit http://x-mz.org/video-production-workshops.html

Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 10:22am On Sep 22, 2015
Wedding video price slash

Christmas Video Greeting

Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 10:41am On Oct 17, 2015
With 1 minute of video equaling 1.8million words, excite your audience/clients/prospects with videos and get rewarded with increased patronage.

Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 10:52pm On Oct 18, 2015
If you have never shot a wedding video, call a wedding videographer and
ask if you can help him or her for free in order to learn about the pacing of
the day. He or she will likely be thrilled to have someone help schlep their
equipment around, and you will receive an invaluable day of training.
Depending of the level of competition in your market, you might want to
select a videographer with whom, for geographic (or other) reasons, you
will not be directly competing. Another method to gain experience is to
call a local wedding planner and offer a free video to a couple who would
not otherwise purchase one. This will give you some low-pressure
experience working on your own, as well as a potentially valuable
business relationship with the wedding planner.
Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by Brimmie(m): 11:25pm On Oct 21, 2015
I wonder why people refused to comment in this wonderful piece.

OP, I'm shooting my first wedding video in couple of weeks.. and I've been crawling all over the web to get one or two info.

I've shot and edited couple of Documentary Films. TBH, I'm always scared of Shooting in an Event because your skill of "Directing" is limited.

I plan to go with 2 Extra Guys (Photographers). One for the Bride, the other for the Groom. I 'll be in-charge of the Video using DSLR.

Just want to know if it's advisable to go without a "backup" Cinematographer.
3 Cameras
1 - Video
2 - Pictures
Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 5:24pm On Oct 29, 2015
Congratulations on you first wedding production. I'm sure you've had bouts of sleepless nights with thoughts of Which angle to shoot" to imaginations of where to position your cam for the first kiss.
I have a couple of advice for you as a first time wedding Videographer.

1, I suggest you use a traditional Camcorder like Z5, Z7, Ag HMC 150, Canao Xf 105... for your master cam and use your DSLR for the fancy shots. I'll Explain why. Dslr are not quite suitable for Wedding and Events Videography because i) they Over heat after a few minutes and automatically shots down and may take a few minutes to cool down. (God forbid it happens when the First Kiss is seconds away). Scenes in Weddings and Events Videography happen once, there are no retakes, the couple will not repeat the first kiss.

2) Weddings and Events are a "run and gun" affair. 90% anticipation, 10% shooting. leave your directing skill-set at home. you will be the recording n monitoring audio, Adjusting focus, aperture, Wb on the go which will be much easier on a shoulder-mounted cam rather than on a DSLR.

3) My audio for the wedding comes from either the sound mixer or i use a shotgun on my cam, Groom is miced with a wireless lav for pristine clear sounds of the vows, which takes up one XLR port, i separate and mix the audio in post. ( If your audio is bad your video is ruined. Meaning that those fancy dof shots you got with your 50mm f1/4 prime lens won't matter anymore.)

In other words Get a second shooter with a Traditional prosumer or professional camcorder and use you DSLR for the Fancy shots.. also get all you cables, mics for interviews n vows, connectors, extra-charged batterys, blank cards/ tapes, tripods. Have your gear list and your shot list with you.

Happy Shooting!

Brimmie:

OP, I'm shooting my first wedding video in couple of weeks.. and I've been crawling all over the web to get one or two info.

I've shot and edited couple of Documentary Films. TBH, I'm always scared of Shooting in an Event because your skill of "Directing" is limited.

I plan to go with 2 Extra Guys (Photographers). One for the Bride, the other for the Groom. I 'll be in-charge of the Video using DSLR.

3 Cameras
1 - Video
2 - Pictures
Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by Brimmie(m): 6:33pm On Oct 29, 2015
valchris10:
Congratulations on you first wedding production. I'm sure you've had bouts of sleepless nights with thoughts of Which angle to shoot" to imaginations of where to position your cam for the first kiss.
I have a couple of advice for you as a first time wedding Videographer.
Wow!! Exactly! I've been wondering if it's proper to stand in front of the audience while they're making the vows.

1, I suggest you use a traditional Camcorder like Z5, Z7, Ag HMC 150, Canao Xf 105... for your master cam and use your DSLR for the fancy shots. I'll Explain why. Dslr are not quite suitable for Wedding and Events Videography because i) they Over heat after a few minutes and automatically shots down and may take a few minutes to cool down. (God forbid it happens when the First Kiss is seconds away). Scenes in Weddings and Events Videography happen once, there are no retakes, the couple will not repeat the first kiss.

The problem is that, I've never used a Camcorder before.. and the few ones I've seen, I don't like the quality. I 'ld be using Canon 600D with 55 - 250 mm and 18 - 55mm Lens.. and a Video Light.

2) Weddings and Events are a "run and gun" affair. 90% anticipation, 10% shooting. leave your directing skill-set at home. you will be the recording n monitoring audio, Adjusting focus, aperture, Wb on the go which will be much easier on a shoulder-mounted cam rather than on a DSLR.

With a Camera Rig like the one made by "Neewer", I think it's quite easy to do these things on the go on DSLR. Tho, I don't know how HD Camcorder works.

3) My audio for the wedding comes from either the sound mixer or i use a shotgun on my cam, Groom is miced with a wireless lav for pristine clear sounds of the vows, which takes up one XLR port, i separate and mix the audio in post. ( If your audio is bad your video is ruined. Meaning that those fancy dof shots you got with your 50mm f1/4 prime lens won't matter anymore.)
I'm used to Documentary Videography.. So I use Boom Mic. But for the event, I plan to use a Shotgun. I don't have any other audio recorder that I can attach to either the groom or bride. So, wha' ya say? Your elderly advice plss??

In other words Get a second shooter with a Traditional prosumer or professional camcorder and use you DSLR for the Fancy shots.. also get all you cables, mics for interviews n vows, connectors, extra-charged batterys, blank cards/ tapes, tripods. Have your gear list and your shot list with you.

Happy Shooting!

I'm a JJC in my new location, so I don't know anybody here that is good with Camera. Besides, I have my own style of shooting. I'm thinking of renting an HD Cam, and place it at the back.. So I can use it to get my wide shot.

Thanks very much Boss!!

1 Like

Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by valchris10: 8:44pm On Jan 13, 2016
Hey!

Re: Learn Professional Wedding Videography Here by Nobody: 7:01am On Jan 14, 2016
Where do u stay man? Lagos? Kindly call me on 07036387009. Wanna discuss business. Sent you a mail

Brimmie:

3 Cameras
1 - Video
2 - Pictures

(1) (Reply)

An Attempted Hyperrealistic Drawing Of Wole Soyinka By Victor Onowori / Crazy Graphics / Comedy Video:- Segun Wire Vs Thieves – Episode 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.