Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,410 members, 7,822,904 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 07:13 PM

‘FIFA Is Corrupt’…figo Pulls Out Of Presidential Election - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / ‘FIFA Is Corrupt’…figo Pulls Out Of Presidential Election (473 Views)

Ahmad Ahmad Wins CAF Presidential Election, Beating Issa Hayatou / Edin Dzeko Pulls Opponents Shorts, Sent Off (photos) / Brazilian Referee Pulls Gun On Players During Red Card Dispute (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

‘FIFA Is Corrupt’…figo Pulls Out Of Presidential Election by Ping411: 11:01pm On May 21, 2015
Luis Figo has joined the league of candidates to withdraw from the Fifa presidential election on 29 May.

The 42-year-old, Ex-Portugal midfielder, pulled out on the same day as Dutchman, Van Pragg, to leave Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein of Jordan as Blatter’s only rival.

Although 67-year-old Dutchman yet to give his reasons for withdrawing from the election, Figo made his reasons clear in a statement.

“I travelled and met extraordinary people who, though they recognized the value of much that had been done, also concurred with the need for change, one that cleans up Fifa’s reputation as an obscure organization that is so often viewed as a place of corruption,” he said.

“But over the past few months I have not only witnessed that desire [for change], I have witnessed consecutive incidents, all over the world, that should shame anyone who desires soccer to be free, clean and democratic.

“I have seen with my own eyes federation presidents who, after one day comparing Fifa leaders to the devil, then go on stage and compare those same people with Jesus Christ. Nobody told me about this. I saw it with my own eyes.”

He also questioned an election process in which a main candidate – Blatter – had not produced a manifesto, “so that federation presidents know what they’re voting for”.

Figo added: “There has not been a single public debate about each candidate’s proposals.”

The latest withdrawal comes after another presidential candidate, Frenchman Jerome Champagne, a former Fifa deputy general secretary, pulled out in February.

Blatter is favourite to win a fifth term as president and Figo said: “This process is anything but an election.”

“This process is a plebiscite for the delivery of absolute power to one man – something I refuse to go along with.”

Each of Fifa’s 209 member associations have a vote in the election and Van Praag, who is president of the Dutch football federation, says he will now support Prince Ali.

The English Football Association also intend to support Prince Ali, while the Scottish FA had previously said they would back Van Praag.

- See more at: http://bizwatchnigeria.ng/fifa-is-the-devil-figo-pulls-out-of-presidential-election/#sthash.zaWyZXGB.dpuf

1 Like

Re: ‘FIFA Is Corrupt’…figo Pulls Out Of Presidential Election by Nobody: 12:24am On May 22, 2015

1 Like

Re: ‘FIFA Is Corrupt’…figo Pulls Out Of Presidential Election by kliq(m): 7:14am On May 22, 2015
Most Football governing bodies(FIFA,CAF) are just as corrupt as politics with FIFA producing just 2 presidents(Joao Havelange and Sepp Blatter) since 1974(41yrs) with the latter looking to extend his stay for another 4/5yrs at the age of 79....truly a mafia family,not willing to pave way for the younger generation.

Same applies for CAF,Hayatou been there since 1988-still counting plus he's got his eyes on FIFA presidency i.e waiting for Sepp to retire.
The elections are just mere formality so I understand Figo's plight as well as other candidates.

Corruption has really marred the development of the game in some continents as these bodies are all up about funds generated as a result of hosting major tournaments.....The future looks bleak. sad

(1) (Reply)

Visit Worlds Worst Picker If You Like To Win Money / Full-time: Thailand All-stars 0 Chelsea 1 (pre-season Tour) / Benitez Takes Over At Real

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.