Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,744 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:31 AM

Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria (1147 Views)

Peace Mass Bus Travelling To Abuja Involved In Fatal Accident,Many Dead(photos) / Travelling To Canada Part 11 / Travelling To Canada Part 9 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by blackcat1: 7:02pm On May 23, 2015
A friend of mine is traveling to Nigeria after 10 years of living abroad. Any advice from those that recently travelled after a long stay abroad will be appreciated. How much should he have in his pocket if he wants to stay for at least 2 weeks
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by blackcat1: 10:05am On May 24, 2015
No advice na wao!
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by AUTOCRATIC(m): 2:08pm On May 24, 2015
Their is nothing to fear...all you need to do is to arange where to stay for the period of 2 weeks,if ur parent have an accomondation,I will advice you stay with them,instead of burning money in the hotel,use that Money to get them a generator if they don't have one. Don't behave among the people u left in nigeria as if have made it even if have,don't keep late at night,don't go to everywhere you are invited to,listen to ur father and mother.
blackcat1:
A friend of mine is traveling to Nigeria after 10 years of living abroad. Any advice from those that recently travelled after a long stay abroad will be appreciated. How much should he have in his pocket if he wants to stay for at least 2 weeks

2 Likes

Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by blackcat1: 5:57pm On May 24, 2015
AUTOCRATIC:
Their is nothing to fear...all you need to do is to arange where to stay for the period of 2 weeks,if ur parent have an accomondation,I will advice you stay with them,instead of burning money in the hotel,use that Money to get them a generator if they don't have one. Don't behave among the people u left in nigeria as if have made it even if have,don't keep late at night,don't go to everywhere you are invited to,listen to ur father and mother.

Thank you my bother
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by worry357: 6:01pm On May 24, 2015
blackcat1:

The person should have as little in his pockets as possible.
That way he will not try to show off and become a target for thieves or begging friends and relatives.
Keep money in an accessable bank account but do not tell anyone the amount.

1 Like

Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by justwise(m): 12:15pm On May 25, 2015
blackcat1:

Difficult to budget that, i was in the same position.....visiting Nigeria after about 10yrs, bought loads of stuff and with spending money....little over £4000, I only stayed 2 weeks and came back with just about £500 only because my mum steps in. If you have a big family like I do then you are in for it.

My advice to you is to change some of the money to naira and keep the rest with a family member you trust or lock it away yourself else you are coming back empty handed.

A lot of people need help but not all of them are genuine.

5 Likes

Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by MrBLING(m): 3:05am On May 26, 2015
Amount taken depends on plans for accommodation, travel, personal expenses and miscelleneouus.

If you stay at home or relative you avoid hotel bills but might have to pay for generator and or fuel cost. You also avoid paying for expensive hotel meals. But downside of you are from large and demanding family and wind gets out you are in town get ready to share some currency. In that case as someone suggested change to naira and give a few thousands only. Or go buy drinks for house and share along with any souvenirs you brought.

If you are the outgoing type you might want to budget for drinks with friends, babes, restaurants etc.
Also transport within town and local flight.
Also for the spiritually minded church donation etc.
If you came for a special occasion eg birthday wedding etc that one na another matter

1 Like

Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by blackcat1: 11:54pm On May 30, 2015
worry357:

The person should have as little in his pockets as possible.
That way he will not try to show off and become a target for thieves or begging friends and relatives.
Keep money in an accessable bank account but do not tell anyone the amount.

very good tip thanks
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by blackcat1: 11:55pm On May 30, 2015
justwise:

Difficult to budget that, i was in the same position.....visiting Nigeria after about 10yrs, bought loads of stuff and with spending money....little over £4000, I only stayed 2 weeks and came back with just about £500 only because my mum steps in. If you have a big family like I do then you are in for it.

My advice to you is to change some of the money to naira and keep the rest with a family member you trust or lock it away yourself else you are coming back empty handed.

Wow £4000 for 2 weeks! I am in trouble. Thanks for the tip
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by blackcat1: 11:56pm On May 30, 2015
MrBLING:
Amount taken depends on plans for accommodation, travel, personal expenses and miscelleneouus.

If you stay at home or relative you avoid hotel bills but might have to pay for generator and or fuel cost. You also avoid paying for expensive hotel meals. But downside of you are from large and demanding family and wind gets out you are in town get ready to share some currency. In that case as someone suggested change to naira and give a few thousands only. Or go buy drinks for house and share along with any souvenirs you brought.

If you are the outgoing type you might want to budget for drinks with friends, babes, restaurants etc.
Also transport within town and local flight.
Also for the spiritually minded church donation etc.
If you came for a special occasion eg birthday wedding etc that one na another matter

And it is birthday oh. In fact combined birthday...I don dey fear maybe I should shift my dates. Thanks for the tip
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:10am On May 31, 2015
blackcat1:

Wow £4000 for 2 weeks! I am in trouble. Thanks for the tip

That was why i said you can't really budget it based on what you read here because no two budges are the same, i came from a very big family hence the need to take as much stuff as i can.
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by SkinnyDude(m): 7:18am On May 31, 2015
justwise:

10yrs! Didnt You Miss Ur Family, Especially Ur Mum?
I Cant Stay One Month In School Without Seeing My Mum
Re: Advice For Someone Travelling To Nigeria by justwise(m): 7:24am On May 31, 2015
SkinnyDude:
10yrs! Didnt You Miss Ur Family, Especially Ur Mum?
I Cant Stay One Month In School Without Seeing My Mum

That is the most difficult aspect of it but when you live thousands of miles away as a self-sponsoring student going home is not something you do easily

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Help Me Wish My Guy Journey Mercy Abeg (he Needs Our Prayers) / Accident At Iyana Isolo (car Written Off) / Bestway Transport; It's A Badway Transport.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.