Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,987 members, 7,817,907 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:33 PM

10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! (23355 Views)

Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do / Easy Tips And Tricks Every Driver Should Know (pics) / Little Known Car Fuel Wasters And Fuel Saving Tips (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by yellowhouse30: 11:19am On May 25, 2015
Nice info
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Nobody: 11:20am On May 25, 2015
U don't really save fuel by switching of ur Airconditioner.....

Just as u don't save any fuel wen u switch on ur generator n off most appliances...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by RedRido(m): 11:21am On May 25, 2015
iyatrustee:
Dont drive in the rush hour?
How does that apply to those of us that work?
You also said our windows should be up and yet we should not on the A/C?

you can be using had fan Ma...just kidding

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:21am On May 25, 2015
We are in the same club

lol

dearpreye:
Till I have some very compelling reasons, my car remains parked.

It's time to burn some calories!
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:23am On May 25, 2015
Who told you that

capacity

have you ever used a gen that has the capacity to carry a fridge...then switch the fridge on...you will hear hmmmmm sound from the gen set

never underestimate the ppower of a compressor

Simple physics brother physics

it is called load..the bigger the load the bigger the energy used to carry it

in a lay man terms the more gasoline consumed

Physics brother

chuna1985:

Just as u don't save any fuel wen u switch on ur generator n off most appliances...

2 Likes

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Horlufemi(m): 11:23am On May 25, 2015
11. Don't repark for anybody.

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:25am On May 25, 2015
lol

how?

Horlufemi:
11. Don't repark for anybody.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by divinelove(m): 11:26am On May 25, 2015
Neduzze5:
Lolz

11. If you get to a sloppy area, put off your car and allow it to roll down all the way until it can no longer roll! cheesy

dnt try to switch of your engine if u ve power steering else ur steering will lock up n na die be dt undecided

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by divinelove(m): 11:27am On May 25, 2015
chuna1985:

r u a learner

u r very wrong

d more d load on an engine, the harder it will work and d more d rpm n the more fuel it consumes

when u r told to study science u will prefer to study history u see ur life nw wink

highway driving might be an exception bc d load by air resistance will exceed dt of d AC on d engine ie if u drive above 100km/hr
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Neduzze5(m): 11:28am On May 25, 2015
divinelove:

dnt try to switch of your engine if u ve power steering else ur steering will lock up n na die be dt undecided

Anything that has been locked can equally be unlocked too!!
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:30am On May 25, 2015
ok
Lilimax:
I've learnt a new thing today smiley
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:31am On May 25, 2015
lol

Neduzze5:

Anything that has been locked can equally be unlocked too!!
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:32am On May 25, 2015
thank u bro

lol, u made physics look easy for a nursery 1 pupil

thats talent

divinelove:

r u a learner

u r very wrong

d more d load on an engine, the harder it will work and d more d rpm n the more fuel it consumes

when u r told to study science u will prefer to study history u see ur life nw wink

highway driving might be an exception bc d load by air resistance will exceed dt of d AC on d engine

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Ballama(m): 11:33am On May 25, 2015
With all these your tips I rather think that someone should come out of his car and attach rope to the car so that he can pull the car like childhood days
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Nobody: 11:34am On May 25, 2015
tonychristopher:
We are in the same club

lol

Bro, no so we see am.

Even before this fuel scarcity, I've occasionally elected to trek instead of driving my car.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Edunwa302(m): 11:39am On May 25, 2015
tonychristopher:
The price of petrol and diesel has stopped rising for a bit, but it's still a huge cost when running a car. Here are 10 simple fuel saving tips from . In lagos today, a litre is about 400 Naira and this is crazy and we hope that it gets down but as a driver please know these few steps to save yourself of fuel bills...above all try to avoid black market if possible. These PMS are usually mixed with something, I learnt its a thinner

1. Make fewer trips
Did you know that when you drive a car that has been parked for a few hours, the engine is cold and it uses much more fuel for the first five miles or so? Ideally you'd combine all your daily errands into one big trip. Often that's not possible if you have to pop out during the day to drop off and collect the family, but try not to go out separately to do the supermarket shop or buy a newspaper.

2. Don't drive in the rush hour
There are few worse places to spend your time than stuck in a traffic jam, but it's also a very expensive way of travelling. Every time that you stop and start in traffic, your car needs first gear and a huge amount of fuel to get moving again. Second gear is not much better. The best solution is to not travel during the rush hour. You can also save some fuel by trying to understand what the traffic is doing in front of you, and travelling steadily at a slow speed, rather than accelerating and braking. If you have to travel in rush hour a lot, then you could consider buying a hybrid car, which uses much less fuel in town than a normal petrol or diesel.

3. Close the windows (and sunroof, if you've got one)
It's not so much of a problem when you're driving in town (see above), but when you're out of town or on the motorway and moving more quickly, the shape of your car is very important. Car designers call it aerodynamics and make lots of effort to reduce the 'drag' and make the car as sleek as possible. Anything that makes wind noise as your car goes along is actually making your car more expensive to run. You can't do much about the design of your car, but you can avoid making it worse by not leaving the windows and sunroof open. It's better to use the air vents for most of the year, and the air-conditioning when it gets too hot.

4. Remove the roof rack or ski box
This is just like leaving the windows open, but worse. Even if the roof rack is empty, it increases drag and makes your car use more fuel, while a big ski box is like having another car strapped to your roof. The latest roof racks and ski boxes are quick and easy to fit and remove, so make the effort to stow them away when you're not using them.

5. Don't carry round unnecessary weight
Just like your body, your car needs more fuel to move around more weight. So, just as you wouldn't wear a heavy rucksack unless you had to, don't cart stuff around in the boot of your car unless you need it. Ironically, the heavier the item (the usual culprits are golf clubs and trolleys), the less likely you are to bother taking it out of the boot and the greater the effect it will have on your fuel consumption.

6. Accelerate smoothly
The perfect way to travel is at a constant speed (ideally around 50mph), and in the highest gear (five or six). So if you're a patient driver, you'll have lower fuel bills - it's as simple as that. It's unrealistic to avoid overtaking, but there's little point accelerating past a car to simply be in front of it at the next set of lights - any instant gratification will appear on your fuel bill the next time you fill up.

7. Don't push the accelerator down too far
This one always surprises people. It's not just to do with what gear you're in. You may be in a high gear and travelling at a sensible speed, but if you're pushing the accelerator down a long way to avoid changing into a lower gear (into third from fourth, for example), then you're actually using more fuel not less. Obviously, if your car has an automatic gearbox (you'll know if it does), then it will probably do a better job than you of choosing which gear to be in, so it's not a problem.

8. Turn the air-conditioning off
It's tempting to leave the air-con on the whole year round. It stops the windows misting up in the winter and you don't ever need to think about the temperature inside the car, but it uses quite a bit of fuel, so we'd advise you turn it off when it's not hot (on most cars the button has a snowflake symbol).

9. Stick to the speed limit
If you ignored the law, you could shave a bit of time off your journey by travelling above the speed limit, particularly on long motorway trips. But, although you might arrive about 20 minutes early on a 200-mile trip by travelling at 80mph instead of 70mph, it's also a false economy. While the car is running for 20 minutes less, it uses much more fuel when it is travelling. That 20 minutes could cost you up to £7 extra in fuel.

10. Check your tyre pressures regularly
The lower the tyre pressure, the more fuel the car needs to move it down the road. We recommend that you take five minutes every fortnight to check the tyres. If you're not sure what the pressure should be, you can normally find the figures near the lock inside the driver's door.

Fuel economy is an important factor when buying a car. As a rule, small cars are generally more economical in town and bigger diesel family cars are more economical on the motorway. We've put together a list of cars that are cheap to run, as well as cars that fit other criteria that you've told us are important, such as easy to park and good for families.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/advice/ten-tips-for-how-to-save-petrol/
6,7,10 so on point
Do dt en save a lot gas.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by 9jatatafo(m): 11:40am On May 25, 2015
Dusting my bicycle and start riding to work. No fuel needed.

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by ifeanyi83(m): 11:41am On May 25, 2015
Absolutely correct...my favorite is driving when traffic is less and without AC.. grin..that's why my fuel at full tank, lasts me for 2-weeks....

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:41am On May 25, 2015
give us simple anology and proove...we would apprecaite that #

thank you

Edunwa302:

6,7,10 so on point
Do dt en save a lot gas.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Nobody: 11:43am On May 25, 2015
divinelove:

r u a learner

u r very wrong

highway driving might be an exception bc d load by air resistance will exceed dt of d AC on d engine ie if u drive above 100km/hr

The only thing I can tell u about manual theories is that I am a certified Mechanical production Engineer.

Keep wallowing in ur arrogant lack of knowledge or get same car models, empty both tanks, top them with 15 litres in the same filling station n with same fuel pumps, On AC on one, off AC on the other (leading to taking down the wind shields) and then drive both cars round n round in a spacious area @ an average speed n watch wen they run out of gas...There is ur answer .

But wait til fuel comes down to 87 before u try it.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:43am On May 25, 2015
That is to burn calaories and avoid traffic jams and its attendant wahala on engine live span

lol

dearpreye:

Bro, no so we see am.

Even before this fuel scarcity, I've occasionally elected to trek instead of driving my car.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Nobody: 11:44am On May 25, 2015
tonychristopher:
That is to burn calaories and avoid traffic jams and its attendant wahala on engine live span

lol

All follow! Lol!!!
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:47am On May 25, 2015
guy..if you are real engineer then it is shameful that you are saying this

Give us proof ..engineeering and sciences requires proofs, pls give us proof

chuna1985:

The only thing I can tell u about manual theories is that I am a certified Mechanical production Engineer.

Keep wallowing in ur arrogant lack of knowledge or get same car models, empty both tanks, top them with 15 litres in the same filling station n with same fuel pumps, On AC on one, off AC on the other (leading to taking down the wind shields) and then drive both cars round n round in a spacious area @ an average speed n watch wen they run out of gas...There is ur answer .

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by ElFenomeno1: 11:48am On May 25, 2015
chuna1985:

You are a dunce.... Of course you save fuel by switching off the air conditioning!
Fu...cking donut

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:50am On May 25, 2015
The AC needs mechanical power to turn a compressor (which is very much like a pump). In a home unit, an electric motor drives the compressor. In a car, traditionally, the compressor is driven by a belt which is, in turn, driven by the car's engine. So, the resistance of the compressor is overcome by the engine, which means the engine must burn a little bit more gasoline than it would if the compressor was not being used for the AC.

There's no free lunch here! However, at highway speeds the power required by the AC compressor is less than the extra power required to overcome the extra drag which would be caused by having the car windows open as an alternative to using the AC. I believe that "Click and Clack" has more info. Google will help, too.

(Modern cars may use an electric motor to drive the AC compressor, like a home unit; I don't know, actually. Similarly, the cooling fan of older cars was driven by a belt, whereas newer cars drive the fan with an electric motor. Electric motors, of course, require electrical power, which requires work from the engine, which requires gasoline.)

When you turn the AC on in your car, it uses energy supplied to it by the alternator. This energy is coming from the engine, which is using the fuel in your gas tank. The AC won’t run properly without the car started because the belt that engages the compressor (which is used to compress the coolant and make it cold) will only run with the engine started. This is the same belt that is responsible for running the alternator and charging your battery.

Thank me for the lectures

I cant bring my car for you to even put water in my radiator

chuna1985:

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:51am On May 25, 2015
NASO

dearpreye:

All follow! Lol!!!
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by divinelove(m): 11:53am On May 25, 2015
chuna1985:

Boy we have a long list of things dt affect fuel comsumption beyond AC do u kw dt if u weigh 150kg and i weigh 65kg n we use same car, ur car will consume more fuel. wat i am telling u is dt other things being equal car driven with AC in city will consume more fuel

1 Like

Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Nobody: 11:57am On May 25, 2015
tonychristopher:
NASO

I was so lucky to have filled my tank last week. ...

The suffering is unfortunate and unnecessary.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 11:59am On May 25, 2015
I AM SCRAED NOT EVEN A DROP IN MY TANK, I AM SCARED OF IT RUSTING ...
dearpreye:

I was so lucky to have filled my tank last week. ...

The suffering is unfortunate and unnecessary.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by scachy(m): 12:01pm On May 25, 2015
Despite the long essay, I ll score u only 4/10.
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by tonychristopher: 12:01pm On May 25, 2015
He said he is an engineer and mechanical engineer for that matter. it suprises me that he doesnt know that weight and load affects fuel consumption

he doesnt know that if you carry heavy load as in many orobo women in a small car..the fuel consumption will be affected adversary

abi him tink those orobo nyash and breast no get weight

lol

abeg leave our engineer

divinelove:

Boy we have a long list of things dt affect fuel comsumption beyond AC do u kw dt if u weigh 150kg and i weigh 65kg n we use same car, ur car will consume more fuel. wat i am telling u is dt other things being equal car driven with AC in city will consume more fuel
Re: 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!! by Nobody: 12:16pm On May 25, 2015
tonychristopher:
I AM SCRAED NOT EVEN A DROP IN MY TANK, I AM SCARED OF IT RUSTING ...

That's serious! I believe the scarcity will be over in a few days.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Myths About Fuel Economy / FRSC Pulled Me Over Twice Today To Check My Tires / Mile 2 To Apapa Road Getting Mad Daily!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.