Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,795 members, 7,810,072 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:00 PM

Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do (16975 Views)

5 Documents Every Driver MUST Have / 15+ Cheap Accessories Every Uber,oga-driver & Taxify Driver Should Have / Easy Tips And Tricks Every Driver Should Know (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Whizpeter(m): 11:56pm On Dec 01, 2016
[size=20pt]Get your hands dirty and generally know what you’re doing.[/size]

The owner’s manual of any car will tell you—in the most excruciatingly simplistic step-by-step manner possible—how to operate everything from the seatbelts to the trunk lock and how to finely tune the rear headrests with ferocious, compulsive precision. And on virtually every page there will be a yellow box screaming at you not to do something stupid like lick the brake discs or serve the radiator water as an after-dinner digestif. After all, based on the advice of their attorneys, manufacturers have to assume that anyone who buys their cars must be a total slowpoke.

Although the average owner’s manual overdoes it, that doesn’t mean we can’t all use an occasional refresher course in automotive common sense. And, don’t take this wrong, but we know there are plenty of you out there who won’t admit to the simple things you flat never learned.

So here is our unabashed (but slightly bashed) guide to the most elementary challenges of automotive operation. This is the stuff you didn’t necessarily learn in drivers’ education and your father just assumed you learned through transgenerational osmosis.

How to change a tire

It used to be that blowouts were a regular motoring event—right up there with thumping the occasional headlight-mesmerized raccoon and being forced to use a gnarly gas-station restroom. Thankfully, modern tires rarely shed a tread or spontaneously deteriorate. But guaranteed there will come a time when you’ll be forced to change a tire.

If a tire blows, don’t try to save it or its wheel by stopping immediately in a lousy situation; the shoulder of a busy freeway counts as a lousy situation. If possible, find a level, solid, well-lit surface and park, even if that means driving a mile at low speed with your hazard lights on. And for God’s sake, don’t stop in traffic. Ever. Then make sure the car can’t roll. The parking brake should be on, and the transmission in park (in an automatic) or in gear (in a manual).

Grab the spare, lug wrench, and jack. Most newer cars use scissors-type jacks that raise the car up at a predefined point on the car’s structure. All the info on where the tools and jacking points are is in the owner’s manual.

Now, lift the car using the jacking point nearest the disabled wheel so that the weight of the car is on the jack but the tire is still in contact with the road. If there’s a hubcap, that will need to be removed so the lug nuts can be accessed.

With the tire still in contact with the road, the lug nuts should be cracked loose (counterclockwise) but not removed. The car can then be jacked up farther and the lugs removed. With the nuts off, the tire and wheel assembly can be removed.

Put the spare on, and hand-tighten the lug nuts (clockwise). The car can now be lowered so the tire is touching the ground, although the car’s weight should remain on the jack. The lug nuts should then be tightened further using a star pattern (around the wheel, skipping every other lug) to ensure that they snug down evenly on the wheel.

Lower the car all the way onto the ground. Tighten the lug nuts down as snugly as possible. Hit the road.

How to Jump-Start a Car

First, make sure it’s the battery that’s really the problem. If the car’s lights come on brightly and the starter motor churns with its usual ferocity, the battery is likely heaving out plenty of amps.

Second, make sure you have a good set of jumper cables—robust, rubber-coated cables that can handle the amperage. Virtually all jumper cables should be color-coded with the red clamp intended for the positive pole on the battery and the black clamp for the negative.

Ideally, the car with the bum battery and the jump car should be parked on a clean, dry surface. And they should be parked so that the cars’ batteries are accessible and close enough to each other that the cables can comfortably span the space between them without being taut.

With both cars off, attach one of the red clamps to the positive (+) terminal on the battery that’s presumed bad. Be careful of the other red clamp—it’s now live. Then connect that other red clamp to the positive terminal on the jump car’s battery. After that, one black clamp goes to the negative (-) terminal on the good battery while the other black clamp should go to an unpainted steel surface on the stalled car, to be grounded.

Start the car with the good battery. Routing the cables this way uses the battery on the live car to start the disabled car, so there is no need to wait for the dead battery to charge. Start the dead car. Remove the cables in reverse order, close the respective hoods, and operate the two cars as usual.

If the electrical system in the car with the drained battery is otherwise okay, the battery should be recharged after about 15 minutes of driving and the whole thing should be okey-dokey.

How to Check Your Tire Pressure

Everything any car does depends on the four rubber donuts on which it sits. Making sure those tires are properly inflated is the best way to guarantee your car performs at its best from a handling and fuel-efficiency standpoint.

There are fancy tire gauges and straightforward tire gauges, but they all work pretty much the same way. Simply take the gauge to each tire, remove the valve-stem cap (and put it in your pocket so you don’t lose it on the ground), press the gauge flat against the valve stem, and the gauge will read the pressure. If you hear air hissing out of the valve alongside the gauge, you don’t have a complete seal and will get an inaccurate reading. What that reading should be is usually listed on a sticker in one of the front doorjambs. Or it’s in the owner’s manual. The proper pressure is not the maximum listed on the tire itself; that’s often far too high.

After that, it’s a matter of adding air and rechecking the pressure until the tires are at their correct inflation. But be careful not to overinflate, because that leaves the car riding on smaller, less stable contact patches.

Remember, it’s best to measure your tire pressure when the tires are cold—after the car has been parked for the night is ideal. Tires that are warm after running all day will have a higher pressure from the additional heat. Tire pressures should be checked at least once a month.

How to Check Your Oil

The oil in your car’s engine is there to lubricate, not burn. So checking your oil is a way to determine if there’s enough of the stuff aboard and if the engine has developed an appetite for it.

First, look in the owner’s manual and determine where the oil dipstick is. In most cars it’s alongside the engine block and marked with a brightly colored handle and an oil-can icon.

Take your car for a spin to warm the oil to normal operating temperature. Then park the car on a level surface and let it sit with the engine off for at least five or ten minutes. Open the hood, find the dipstick, and pull it out by the handle. The long shaft of metal that makes up the majority of the stick should be covered in engine oil. Wipe that off with a clean rag.

Reinsert the dipstick, and then pull it out again. At the bottom of the stick will be markings showing where the normal oil level should be. If there’s oil on those markings, you’re good. If it’s below them, add a half a quart of oil at a time until you reach the appropriate level. If there’s no oil on the stick at all, you have a problem.

Don’t run your engine on a measly oil supply. Add the appropriate type of motor oil (that’s in the owner’s manual, too) as soon as possible to an engine that’s low. Even if it’s only been a few hundred miles since the oil sump was filled, you could have serious problems.

How to Get Unstuck

You just drove into mud, and the car is stuck. What to do?

Whatever you do, don’t spin the tires. That will just dig a deeper hole. Instead, put something in the intended path of the drive wheels—palm fronds, branches, beach towels, wood blocks, your kid brother, anything—and proceed slowly.

Ideally, if you’re wandering off-road, you should bring a mud ladder or sand ladder with you. Mud and sand ladders are basically small bridges made of steel, rope, or wood that can be placed before the drive wheels and driven across. Of course, anyone so well prepared as to have a sand or mud ladder along is also more likely to have a buddy with a winch nearby.

[img]http://3.bp..com/__sXnm7f6xzs/TJhduHw4MfI/AAAAAAAAFAc/MQiIRdyMq8M/s1600/car.gif[/img]

So there you have it....

Source: http://www.caranddriver.com/features/drivers-education-the-6-things-every-driver-should-know-how-to-do

Cc
Lalasticalala
Mynd44
Marpol
Ishilove

22 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Nobody: 12:13am On Dec 02, 2016
I can do all,but I hate changing tyres_ it spoils all my fine girl... cry

What of how to wash your car?
Inside some cars be like babalawo house. I remember this guy that was chyking me that year.
Everything was inside his car, spanner, screwdriver, extension, musical discs everywhere, clothes at the back seat.

I just knew kolewerk.
Any man that can't take care of car, how will he care for woman kwanu? angry

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Whizpeter(m): 12:17am On Dec 02, 2016
PaperLace:

Inside some cars be like babalawo house. I remember this guy that was chyking me that year.
Everything was inside his car, spanner, screwdriver, extension, musical discs everywhere, clothes at the back seat.

I just knew kolewerk.

Lol... Dude is probably an Engineer, and the car is his mobile workshop... The clothes you saw are his work clothes... cool

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Nobody: 12:32am On Dec 02, 2016
PaperLace:

I just knew kolewerk.
tongue
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Kjnwancaro: 12:56am On Dec 02, 2016
I think the second poster is right here. You can come to my room and see my jeans hung on door or my shoes on the bed but in my car? Everything is sparkling to the tires and I'm always fresh. I cannot fall my hand, hot chicks full my area grin

1 Like

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Nobody: 1:54am On Dec 02, 2016
Whizpeter:

Lol... Dude is probably an Engineer, and the car is his mobile workshop... The clothes you saw are his work clothes... cool
Trust me, if it were due to his job_ I would have understood. He wasn't an engineer, let's call him a scattered somebody.

To my fellow ladies, this hypothesis [there is a long run significant relationship between how a man treats his car and how he'll treat his woman], isn't 100% accurate but it wasn't facilely put together either.

If your man's car is dirty, bad shaft, shock, horn, body, rings...fuming like a chimney, and he doesn't CARE.
Just know that when he's done with you, you'll look like an accidented car...lols

CFCman, be like you're the guy or you relate am?

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by lonelydora: 6:31am On Dec 02, 2016
PaperLace:

Trust me, if it were due to his job_ I would have understood. He wasn't an engineer, let's call him a scattered somebody.

To my fellow ladies, this hypothesis [there is a long run significant relationship between how a man treats his car and how he'll treat his woman], isn't 100% accurate but it wasn't facilely put together either.

If your man's car is dirty, bad shaft, shock, horn, body, rings...fuming like a chimney, and he doesn't CARE.
Just know that when he's done with you, you'll look like an accidented car...lols

I can't stop laughing. It may be his mobile workshop. You need to see my friend's 2009 Toyota Corolla, he's a heavy duty equipments mechanic. Coverall, Different Tool boxes, grease, wires, etc. both in the trunk and backseat.

But parked in his house are 2010 RX350 for his wife, and 2010 Mercedes C300.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by dayleke: 6:40am On Dec 02, 2016
Nice...
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Kemutek: 6:42am On Dec 02, 2016
The last one doesn't follow
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by mysteriousman(m): 6:46am On Dec 02, 2016
Kinda agree with the lady,if a guy cannot properly take care of his ride he wouldn't do better with a lady, I have seen that, car maintenance says a lot about ones personality

4 Likes

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by ashewoboy(m): 6:53am On Dec 02, 2016
paperlace get mouth. she fit no get car like that.

1 Like

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Udeme478: 6:53am On Dec 02, 2016
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by kayzat: 6:55am On Dec 02, 2016
lonelydora:

I can't stop laughing. It may be his mobile workshop. You need to see my friend's 2009 Toyota Corolla, he's a heavy duty equipments mechanic. Coverall, Different Tool boxes, grease, wires, etc. both in the trunk and backseat.

But parked in his house are 2010 RX350 for his wife, and 2010 Mercedes C300.

I just remember one of my former Oga. This man always punish me with the task of cleaning his vehicle almost on a daily all in the name of liking me. You will see clothes , perfumes , shoes etc at the back of the vehicle and when you check the boot you will see sponge , bucket , soap . bathroom slippers etc .

I was forced to ask him jokingly if he have a home apart from this car.

4 Likes

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by frubben(m): 6:56am On Dec 02, 2016
Heard for summary before @ op
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by drsteroid(m): 6:56am On Dec 02, 2016
I remembered the last time my car got stucked in d mud,wasn't a palatable scene.I was trying to beat a serious traffic gridlock but ended up spending more than the time I would have spent in the hold up trying to free my car from the mud. Some Nigerians are so wicked,none of the people living in that street told me not to pass the road,and couldnt give a helping hand.half of my car was stucked in it.
Thank God for the area boys who I had to go call,I didn't even mind d amount they charged me,was desperate to get my car out.One bad experience I wil never forget.
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by adebayo201: 6:59am On Dec 02, 2016
How to do "Fast and Furious" moves...

1 Like

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by OgidiOlu3(m): 7:00am On Dec 02, 2016
The average woman's car is the same as the average man's room - untidy and unkempt. The average man's car is usually very clean and tidy. We men cherish our machines and we pay utmost attention to them.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by lonelydora: 7:02am On Dec 02, 2016
kayzat:

I just remember one of my former Oga. This man always punish me with the task of cleaning his vehicle almost on a daily all in the name of liking me. You will see clothes , perfumes , shoes etc at the back of the vehicle and when you check the boot you will see sponge , bucket , soap . bathroom slippers etc .

I was forced to ask him jokingly if he have a home apart from this car.

If he's single, he must be a night crawler
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by photoshoot(m): 7:03am On Dec 02, 2016
Op, did I see clearly? grin grin grin

How to Get Unstuck

Whatever you do, don’t spin the tires. That will just dig a deeper hole. Instead, put something in the intended path of the drive wheels—palm fronds, branches, beach towels, wood blocks, your kid brother, anything—and proceed slowly.

grin grin

@topic learnt all even before I started driving, you no fit get person like my dad and say you won't know them. Impossible

1 Like

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by klassykute(m): 7:04am On Dec 02, 2016
YOUR KID BRO. SERIOUSLY
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 02, 2016
I remember one of my teacher in secondary school days,a woman...if the woman give you a ride ehn you'll likely throw up...she was nursing her baby then and in the car you'll see pampers,dirty clothes and plates, dirt everywhere. The funniest part is after cooking at home she will just bring the pot with the food inside the car to dish to her children in school.so annoying. ..there was a day she gave me a ride on my way to school, come and see pot of some days ago in the booth of the car, the booth is visible from the passenger seat....that was the day I vowed not to enter any nursing mother's car again.......
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Nobody: 7:12am On Dec 02, 2016
How to check for a bad fuse

1 Like

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Chicent(m): 7:18am On Dec 02, 2016
PaperLace:

simply put..... U are only after his pocket. Like he has to take care of you like he is your father??

What help did u render?? You couldnt help re-orient him because you are looking for already-made.

The ones u chose to agree will batter you blueblack. Because thats how some gals make mistakes. Trustme

6 Likes

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Chicent(m): 7:19am On Dec 02, 2016
PaperLace:

simply put..... U are only after his pocket. Like he has to take care of you like he is your father??

What help did u render?? You couldnt help re-orient him because you are looking for already-made.

The ones u chose to agree will batter you blueblack. Because thats how some gals make mistakes. I tell u

3 Likes

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by LordGuru1: 7:21am On Dec 02, 2016
Yes.
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by nlugliest: 7:33am On Dec 02, 2016
How to run a check on the fuse box, one needs to know how to pull fuse with the fuse picker in the fusebox to troubleshoot electrical component problems.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Tyche(m): 7:37am On Dec 02, 2016
Theres no correlation what so ever between a man's car and wife, absolutely none.

My two years old daughter has converted the back seat of my car to her mobile storage area. You go see shoe, water bottle, cloth, biscuit, cup at the owners corner. See cry if she enters the car and any of them is missing.

In fact the car is practically hers.

4 Likes

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by admax(m): 7:38am On Dec 02, 2016
How to Get Unstuck

OP, are you a mechanic or a murderer?

5 Likes

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by ItzHoludex(m): 7:40am On Dec 02, 2016
gud
Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by kayzat: 7:40am On Dec 02, 2016
lonelydora:

If he's single, he must be a night crawler

The uncle is married but his family are based in another state.

1 Like

Re: Drivers’ Education: The 5 Things Every Driver Should Know How To Do by Stanbeto: 7:41am On Dec 02, 2016
This is pretty gud men

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerian Women Are Bad Drivers!!! / Infiniti Celebrates Its 30th Anniversary With Edition 30 Models / Benue Civil Servant Hawks Groundnuts To Survive Over Unpaid Salary. Photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.