Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,321 members, 7,819,101 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:16 AM

Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? (45573 Views)

Student Of Federal Polytechnic Ede Crushed To Death As Petrol Tanker Falls / Airport Official Pushing Aeroplane [photo] / Kerosene Likely Cause Of Air Crashes – Otedola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 11:01pm On May 25, 2015
Hello great nairalanders...

An argument ensued between me and a friend concerning aeroplane fuel, and I want you guys to shed light on it.

We have tried google but the explanation was just too complex in relation to the subject matter.

Today, I read news headline that Arik Air shut down due to fuel scarcity.

Now the question is:"Does the aeroplane use petrol or kerosene"

Answers needed for knowledge sake.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:17pm On May 25, 2015
aviation Fuel
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 11:20pm On May 25, 2015
Jaycool18:
water
Guy visit the science section, you seriously need a 13-man scientific brain surgery. Thank me later.

2 Likes

Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:23pm On May 25, 2015
betacitizen:

Guy visit the science section, you seriously need a 13-man scientific brain surgery. Thank me later.
if you're so smart, why can't ur dull brain tell u it's aviation fuel
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 11:29pm On May 25, 2015
Jaycool18:
if you're so smart, why can't ur dull brain tell u it's aviation fuel
That is why people like you always regret later in life, just because you always think YOU KNOW IT ALL.

Aviation Fuel? And how does that answer the question?

Instead of you to just view and pass since you have nothing upstairs, you came here forming Mr Know All. Mtcheeeew ain't got time for a twerp like you.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by dulux07(m): 11:30pm On May 25, 2015
Kerosene
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:32pm On May 25, 2015
betacitizen:

That is why people like you always regret later in life, just because you always think YOU KNOW IT ALL.

Aviation Fuel? And how does that answer the question?

Instead of you to just view and pass since you have nothing upstairs, you came here forming Mr Know All. Mtcheeeew ain't got time for a twerp like you.
OMG... why did I exchange words with this fool
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 11:34pm On May 25, 2015
dulux07:
Kerosene
Thank you jare better person, unlike one mofo up there.

Though I would have love more detailed answer.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 11:38pm On May 25, 2015
Jaycool18:
OMG... why did I exchange words with this fool
Foolishness is when you don't know that aviation fuel can be kerosene, petrol etc

Absurdity is when you don't know how to read questions before giving answers.

Psychosis is when you talk with your brain in your pocket

6 Likes

Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by adeyiga3(m): 11:39pm On May 25, 2015
Its aviation fuel sir nd its not petrol nor kerosene nd dats cos aviation fuel is lighter nd green in color
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:41pm On May 25, 2015
adeyiga3:
Its aviation fuel sir nd its not petrol nor kerosene nd dats cos aviation fuel is lighter nd green in color
don't mind d useless school dropout
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by philcz(m): 11:42pm On May 25, 2015
I wan comment o bt asif u been stand for queue for a long time to buy fuel nd u de vex..
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by missKiffy(f): 11:45pm On May 25, 2015
None of the above, they use water
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by ITbomb(m): 11:52pm On May 25, 2015
adeyiga3:
It is still kerosene, that is why the official name is DPK, Dual Purpose Kerosene, for cooking and for aviation. Using kerosene as aviation fuel is the reason kerosene could not sell at government regulated price of N50.

1 Like

Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:54pm On May 25, 2015
betacitizen:

Foolishness is when you don't know that aviation fuel can be kerosene, petrol etc

Absurdity is when you don't know how to read questions before giving answers.

Psychosis is when you talk with your brain in your pocket
illiterate.. ah don't blame u,you're a fool
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 11:54pm On May 25, 2015
adeyiga3:

Of course I also know it's aviation fuel, but my understanding about aviation fuel according to wikipedia is:

Aviation fuel is a specialized type of petroleum-based fuel used to power aircraft.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_fuel

Now, this question is being asked in relation to Arik Air which shut down due to fuel scarcity.

How does it affect them since they neither use petrol or kerosene as you said?

Jaycool18:
don't mind d useless school dropout
Phd slowpoke, your school must have been weeping that it once allowed you to pass through it.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:57pm On May 25, 2015
ITbomb:

It is still kerosene, that is why the official name is DPK, Dual Purpose Kerosene, for cooking and for aviation. Using kerosene as aviation fuel is the reason kerosene could not sell at government regulated price of N50.
yea..you're right
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 11:58pm On May 25, 2015
Jaycool18:
illiterate.. ah don't blame u,you're a fool
This is what you get in a country filled with educated illitrates like you.

Ridiculous lunatic!
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:59pm On May 25, 2015
betacitizen:

Of course I also know it's aviation fuel, but my understanding about aviation fuel according to wikipedia is:

Aviation fuel is a specialized type of petroleum-based fuel used to power aircraft.

Now, this question is being asked in relation to Arik Air which shut down due to fuel scarcity.

Phd slowpoke, your school must have been weeping that it once allowed you to pass through it.
Lol.. at least I went To school nd you didn't cos you're less privileged
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 12:01am On May 26, 2015
betacitizen:
This is what you get in a country filled with educated illitrates like you.
Ridiculous lunatic!
I feel ur pains bro.. come let me employ u
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by adeyiga3(m): 12:08am On May 26, 2015
betacitizen:

they will be affected cos u get all this from crude oil nd when we export d raw materials for refining they get to break d crude oil into pms kerosene aviation fuel which also contains kerosene too nd diesel
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by adeyiga3(m): 12:10am On May 26, 2015
ITbomb:

Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 12:11am On May 26, 2015
Jaycool18:
Lol.. at least I went To school nd you didn't cos you're less privileged
Idiotic nuisance!
You really went to school, it's written all over your grammatical construction.

Jaycool18:
I feel ur pains bro.. come let me employ u
Stop leaving fake life on social media...I know you are one hotel cleaner claiming porshe on nairaland (lols)

When you were writing matric number in school.
I was already signing cheque for the less privileged like you.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by adeyiga3(m): 12:11am On May 26, 2015
ITbomb:

. The net energy content for aviation fuels depends
on their composition. Some typical values are:[9]
BP Avgas 80, 44.65 MJ/kg, density at 15°C is
690 kg/m3.
Kerosene type BP Jet A-1, 43.15 MJ/kg, density
at 15°C is 804 kg/m3.
Kerosene type BP Jet TS-1 (for lower
temperatures), 43.2 MJ/kg, density at 15°C is
787 kg/m3.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by adeyiga3(m): 12:15am On May 26, 2015
"Jet Fuel" is essentially kerosene, but carefully refined to remove high freezing point components. Normal kerosene would cause problems. "Aeroplane fuel", av-gas is more highly refined gasoline, with some of the lighter (vapor lock causing) components removed, and different additive formulas.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 12:20am On May 26, 2015
adeyiga3:
they will be affected cos u get all this from crude oil nd when we export d raw materials for refining they get to break d crude oil into pms kerosene aviation fuel which also contains kerosene too nd diesel
In other words, giving your answer as aviation fuel was not correct in the first place.

When the question was asked, your specific answer was supposed to be KEROSENE. Simple!

It's like asking you what type of noun is "fleet of cars" and you said it is a NOUN. Instead of saying it is a collective noun.

Learn to answer questions based on how the question is being asked. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by miccoy(m): 12:54am On May 26, 2015
betacitizen:

In other words, giving your answer as aviation fuel was not correct in the first place.

When the question was asked, your specific answer was supposed to be KEROSENE. Simple!

It's like asking you what type of noun is "fleet of cars" and you said it is a NOUN. Instead of saying it is a collective noun.

Learn to answer questions based on how the question is being asked. Thanks.
It seems to me that you already have the answer to your question; and you won't take otherwise. So, I say "Kerosene"
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 8:27am On May 26, 2015
betacitizen:

Idiotic nuisance!
You really went to school, it's written all over your grammatical construction.

Stop leaving fake life on social media...I know you are one hotel cleaner claiming porshe on nairaland (lols)

When you were writing matric number in school.
I was already signing cheque for the less privileged like you.
lmao.. garage tout
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by betacitizen(m): 9:21am On May 26, 2015
Jaycool18:
lmao.. garage tout
Phd Holder...there is nothing like "garage" tout, it's motor park tout..you don't even know the difference between motor pack and garage.

Like I earlier said, your school must have been weeping that it allowed you to pass through it.

You are nothing but a vagabond miscreant.
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by Jaycool18(m): 11:14am On May 26, 2015
betacitizen:

Phd Holder...there is nothing like "garage" tout, it's motor park tout..you don't even know the difference between motor pack and garage.

Like I earlier said, your school must have been weeping that it allowed you to pass through it.

You are nothing but a vagabond miscreant.
I can see you're jobless... like I said earlier, I can employ u I need a gardener nd btw it's not pack it's park
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by 19naia(m): 2:50am On May 27, 2015
It depends on the aircraft... Some propeller aircraft are more similar to jets with their turbine engines to power the propeller... That will use aviation fuel which is most similar to common kerosene.. Jets use it as well as turbines propellers including helicopters ... Also they can use other types of fuels like gasoline and diesel.. Deisel would be a difficult start and gasoline could make a more violent start... After starting, there is massive compression in jets and turbines and that makes deisel fuel very powerful.. Gasoline is a little too much for the massive compression.. Another favorable aspect of the chosen fuel is the one that will not freeze so easily at high altitudes... I think deisel may have a lower freezing or solidifying point..

Now we also have old fashion piston and rod engine aircraft that can be diesel or gasoline and maybe even tuned and designed for kerosene..

Lets not forget that even Natural gas such as used for cooking, can power any of those jets and turbines or regular petrol engines..

I want to use water by electrolysis to separate the hydrogen and oxygen and burn that clean gas in the generator engines...
Re: Does An Aeroplane Use Petrol Or Kerosene? by gnykelly(m): 9:24pm On May 28, 2015
its called Jet A1

(1) (2) (Reply)

Truck Missing Enroute To Ibadan / Nigerians Can Travel, Do Business With 120 Countries Without Visa / Truck Crushes Nissan Bus, Toyota Sienna & Keke At Upper Iweka, Onitsha (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.