Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,132 members, 7,825,554 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. (5153 Views)

Samuel Olorunfemi-Adams, UniAbuja Lecturer, Accused Of Victimization (pics) / How A Lecturer Punished A UNILORIN Final Year Student / Can A Lecturer Actually Do This? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by kwaifa23(m): 11:13pm On May 25, 2015
I have a degree in accounting and I want to build my career in Computer Science /information technology as a lecturer.
My question is must I study PGD in Education to become a lecturer. or no need I can just go for my PGD in Computer Science then later Masters in Information Technology.

Is PGD in Education or Masters in Education important for my lecturing career.
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by jeebz: 11:44pm On May 25, 2015
You do not require a PGD or Masters in Education to become a lecturer/academic. Go ahead with your Master's programme and the your PhD. Remember you need to publish in top notch journals to be counted in your chosen career.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by miccoy(m): 12:35am On May 26, 2015
You need PGD in Education to teach in any Nigerian universities or colleges.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by jeebz: 1:31am On May 26, 2015
miccoy:
You need PGD in Education to teach in any Nigerian universities or colleges.
Check the advert placement for recruitment into any Tertiary Institution on Nigeria. None requires any degree in Education. It is only a position in the Faculty of Education that requires such a degree.
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by dapkin(m): 5:04am On May 26, 2015
jeebz:
You do not require a PGD or Masters in Education to become a lecturer/academic. Go ahead with your Master's programme and the your PhD. Remember you need to publish in top notch journals to be counted in your chosen career.

Please I want some clarifications on a particular issue. I have a degree in Physics and mathematics education. Is it possible for me to apply for MSc computer science without doing a PGD in Computer science?? Please I need you to respond so as for me to apply for the programme. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by kwaifa23(m): 7:34am On May 26, 2015
jeebz:

Check the advert placement for recruitment into any Tertiary Institution on Nigeria. None requires any degree in Education. It is only a position in the Faculty of Education that requires such a degree.

Thank you all I will start reading lecturer advert on newspaper to see if PGD or Masters in Education is required. Thanks.
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by merbenko: 8:54am On May 26, 2015
kwaifa23:

Thank you all I will start reading lecturer advert on newspaper to see if PGD or Masters in Education is required. Thanks.
Bros the early the better go for your PGD in Education no any institution of learning will employ you to lecture without a background in education. All those that didn't study educational course most past through PGD in education.
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by Abojupupa: 5:38pm On May 26, 2015
dapkin:

Please I want some clarifications on a particular issue. I have a degree in Physics and mathematics education. Is it possible for me to apply for MSc computer science without doing a PGD in Computer science?? Please I need you to respond so as for me to apply for the programme. Thanks in advance.
Go to your chosen university and ask for detailed info.
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by Abojupupa: 5:40pm On May 26, 2015
merbenko:
Bros the early the better go for your PGD in Education no any institution of learning will employ you to lecture without a background in education. All those that didn't study educational course most past through PGD in education.
This is not true. Most university lecturers I know do not have PGD.
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by jeebz: 8:00pm On Jul 16, 2015
Abojupupa:

This is not true. Most university lecturers I know do not have PGD.
Leave that young man alone. Knowledge is power, many universities in Nigeria are currently recruiting and not one of the academic positions require any PGD in Education. A PGD in Education is required for someone interested in Secondary School teaching. A university is a research/academic environment and the PGD in Education adds little or no extra value.
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by Danny4show(m): 8:15pm On Jul 16, 2015
jeebz:
jeebz:
jeebz:
Sorry if I may ask must I publish in top notch journals before I qualify to be a lecturer?
Re: I Want To Become A Lecturer, How Can I Develop My Career. by jeebz: 10:43pm On Jul 25, 2015
The supreme mantra of academia is "Publish or nothing". Although in Nigeria, many lectures/professors have not publications in top ranked journals. They still publish.

(1) (Reply)

What Department Is The Most Difficult In The University?.... / D.m.g.s Old Boys / LAUTECH 2012/2013 Post Utme

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.