Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,505 members, 7,819,831 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:59 AM

Letter To Nigerian Parents. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Letter To Nigerian Parents. (12122 Views)

13 Sentences You Will Never Hear From Nigerian Parents / 15 Lies All Nigerian Parents Tell Their Children / Nigerian Parents Give Birth To White Baby (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Nairalandar: 5:54am On May 26, 2015
Culled from a friend Facebook Page:

I was as a student and then a resident in the UK. I live in Abuja now. One of first things that I discovered about UK-born, white, English undergraduates was that all of them did holiday or weekend job to support themselves – including the children of millionaires amongst them. It is the norm over there – regardless of how wealthy their parents were. And I soon discovered that virtually all other foreign students did the same, except status-conscious Nigerians.

I also watched Richard Branson (owner of Virgin Airline) speaking on the Biography Channel. To my amazement, he said that his young children travel in the economy class – even when the parents (he and his wife) are in upper class. Richard Branson is a billionaire in Pound sterling. A quick survey would show you that only children from Nigeria fly business or upper class to commence their studies in the UK. Foreign students from other countries don't do this. There is no aircraft attached to the office of the Prime Minister in the UK. He travels on BA. And the same goes for the Royals. The Queen does not have an aircraft for her exclusive use.

These practices simply become the culture which the next generation carries forward. Have you seen the car that Kate Middleton (the wife of Prince William) drives? VW Golf or something close to it. But there’s one core difference between them and us (generally speaking), they(even the billionaires among them) work for their money, most, if not all, of us steal ours.

If we want our children to bring about the desired changes we have been praying for on behalf of our dear country, then please, please let’s begin now and teach them to work hard so they can stand alone and most importantly be content and not having to “steal” which seems to be the norm these days.

We have Nigerian children who have never worked for 5 minutes in their lives insisting on flying “only” first or business class and using the latest cars fully paid for by their “loving “ parents.

I often get calls from anxious parents”my son graduated 2 years ago and is still looking for a job, can you please assist!”
“Oh really! So where exactly is “THIS CHILD?” is my usual question. “Why are you the one making this call dad/mum and not your child?"
I am yet to get a satisfactory answer, but between you and me, chances are that the big boy is cruising around Abuja with a babe dressed to the nines, in his dad’s spanking new SUV with enough “pocket money” to put your salary to shame. The girls are probably trying to shame Paris Hilton in profligacy. It is not at all strange to hear a 28-year old who has NEVER worked for a day in his/her life in Nigeria but “earns” a six-figure “salary” from parents for doing absolutely nothing apart from being their child.

I see them in my office once in a while, 26-years olds with absolutely no skill to sell apart from a shiny CV, written by his dad’s secretary in the office. Of course, he has a driver at his beck and call and is driven to the job interview. We have a fairly decent conversation and we get to the inevitable question- so, what salary are you looking to earn? Answer comes straight out – N250,000.00. I ask if that is per month or per annum.

“Of course, it is per month”
“Oh, why do you think you should be earning that much on your first job?”
“Well, because my current pocket money is N200,000.00 a month and I feel any employer should be able to pay me more than my parents.”
No wonder corruption continues to thrive. We have a society of young people who have been brought up to expect something or everything for nothing, as if it were a birthright. Even though the examples I have given above are from parents of considerable affluence, similar patterns can be observed from Abeokuta to Adamawa, Mushin to Maiduguri.

Wake up mum! Wake up dad! This syndrome – “my children will not suffer what I suffered" is destroying your child's tomorrow. You are practically loving your child to death. A word is enough for the wise!

Are rich parents really over-indulging their kids?
How much is too much?
What's your opinion?

SOURCE: Facebook

79 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Florblu(f): 7:20am On May 26, 2015
Tell dem!
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by kelvyn7: 10:02am On May 26, 2015
hmmmm...children no be like that again ooo

thank God i dont blong to this indomie generation grin

we still value morals and right-upbringing grin grin

small tin dey belle full us and we hope for the better cool

i really fear for the younger generation

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Lovexme(m): 10:02am On May 26, 2015
I've forgotten what I had in mind to comment. embarassed

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by An2elect2(f): 10:02am On May 26, 2015
Not again.

It should be letter to wealthy Nigerian parents. And i don't see anything wrong with them giving support to their kids.

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by asumo12: 10:03am On May 26, 2015
Okay
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by naijainfogalery: 10:03am On May 26, 2015
Nice article ,some lazy asss spoilt rich brats will come here and start ranting about the post

I started my first job immediately i graduated from Secondary School while waiting for Admission - I worked in A petroleum jelly factory as a factory worker, i was earning 4,500 naira , I still teach part time in the evening that gives me roughly 6,000 naira. After 6 months i gathered enough money to start a business centre and also i went into renting bricklaying and working tools that is i was renting out stuffs. Even with that i didnt stop working at the factory, my brother manages the business centre and the tool renting while i still work in the factory not because i couldnt stop i got to learn a lot about how to make different kinds of cream.

After a year i got enough money that i didnt bother my parent about school fees, not as if they cant afford it, i just paid the money. The last time i bothered my parent for any support both financial, clothing, eating etc was after i graduated from Secondary school, i did so many jobs even while i was studying from marketing to IT consultant, to trainning people (both Graduates and Undergrads) on how to use computer. I made my biggest money that most average Nigerian graduates cant make as a student.

Im not here to show please
Over the time i have employed both Graduates, undergraduates and even non educated people while i was still a student. from experience Nigerian graduates are lazy, i was once recruiting for a big firm (a multi million dollar company based in South Africa) and guess what we couldnt find someone for over 6 months for that position.

29 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Nobody: 10:03am On May 26, 2015
Another article from someone that thinks they know shittttt about Nigeria.
How can you say Nigerian youths are not willing to work?? REALLY??
Honestly, i am tired of reading articles like this. Everyone flogs the Nigeria youths for their supposed inaction but no one is showing them the solution. i graduated from school many years ago and i have friends that are yet to land a good job... as a matter of fact, if you offer them money to kill someone, they will gladly do it... they are ready to do whatever it takes!!

maybe this article is targeted to the children of the rich. Just like everything else in Nigeria!

25 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Dottune(m): 10:03am On May 26, 2015
How many times would this make front page? it did like two months ago or so

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by mentorandfriend(m): 10:04am On May 26, 2015
Very much on point. Parents should allow their children to put their energy and intelligence to work.

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Maczeelly(m): 10:05am On May 26, 2015
Hope they will learn
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Nobody: 10:05am On May 26, 2015
So on point.

During my university days,had a course-mate,whose father is a top oga in the military driving an suv,this is someone who never worked,but collects above 100k as allowance.

How does he cope at life outside school,after being exposed to such luxury he never worked for.

I won't be surprised he's been. Fixed as an oga in one government institution,without meriting it.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Adyrin(m): 10:05am On May 26, 2015
Money answereth all things....
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by iyatrustee(f): 10:05am On May 26, 2015
I agree completely!
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by mifavour(f): 10:05am On May 26, 2015
so true
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by seankay(m): 10:06am On May 26, 2015
Cool
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by annnastacia: 10:06am On May 26, 2015
So true
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by rarelaone(m): 10:08am On May 26, 2015
A good advice for those who will adhere to it.
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by horlabiyi(m): 10:08am On May 26, 2015
The Thread Topic Should Be " Letter To Wealthy Nigerian Parents "

There are lots of people suffering out their, simply because our leaders failed us. Ever wonder why you won't see the likes of OBJ,ABDUL SALAM,TINUBU,BISI AKANDE,IBB and co in borno/where there's problem in this country but only see them where they share millions of NAIRA. Who's fooling who? My mum didn't step on any airport till she was 50+ simply because she can't afford the damn airplane ticket, so how do you expect such a woman to lavish money on her kids? I attended govt schools from my primary to the university. Never attended private school just because my parents can't afford the fees. I started doing odd jobs when I was 13-14. From selling drinks in the traffic, worked in some many block industries. Yet,someone out there loot(ed) so much money that he even send his kids to study abroad and you the article writer think you know things about Nigeria. I still have lots of things to say but............

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Segadem(m): 10:09am On May 26, 2015
good
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by hero10(m): 10:10am On May 26, 2015
hmmmm.
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Nobody: 10:10am On May 26, 2015
angry Mod, groundnut full inside your head,

You don put this trash for front page two times now,

Weti dey wrong with all of una, angry we get our own culture,

EVEN the bible, people still dey stay with there parents, witi happen to jacob, weti happen to Isaac,

Uslese set of nigeria with there brain damage,

But to dey follow women dey fornicate no be sin again for nigeria.

Nonsense young men mentality,

@op. You are a fool

1 Like

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by shammah1(m): 10:11am On May 26, 2015
Hmmmm
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Koroaso: 10:12am On May 26, 2015
******ANOTHER FAILED ATTEMPT TO BLAME THE YOUTHS,DO NOT BLAME THE YOUTH....YOU ARE PLAYING WITH FIRE***************

******THUGS HAVE OIL LICENSES AND HOLD THE WHOLE COUNTRY TO RANSOM!!!!...AND YOU BLAME THE YOUTHS....NAIRALANDR OR WHATEVER YOU CALL YOURSELF....YOU BETTER CHECK YOURSELF....NIGERIAN YOUTH HAVE A REPUTATION WORLDWIDE TO BE HARDWORKING AND INDUSTRIOUS........

*********NIGERIANS ARE NOT FOOLS ANYMORE*****************

********WHEN YOU GIVE OIL WELL TO TY DANJUMA AND HE MAKES 500 MILLION DOLLARS MONTHLY....500 MILLION THAT BELONGS TO ALL OF US*************

******** YOU COME ONLINE AND CALL US LAZY.....LAZY FOR SAYING THE TRUTH NIGERIAN LEADERS ARE PSYCHOPATHIC THIEVES...I HAVE SAID IT AGAIN......GO AND WRITE ANOTHER ARTICLE WE ARE GOING TO KEEP SAYING IT TILL THE WHOLE WORLD KNOWS WHAT WE ARE GOING THROUGH IN NIGERIA.........THANK GOD FOR SOCIAL MEDIA!!!!***********

**********THEY HAVE REALIZED THAT WE ARE NOW FIGHTING BACK ON SOCIAL MEDIA.........AND THEY KNOW MANY LEADERS HAVE BEEN REMOVED WITH SOCIAL MEDIA....NOW THEY WANT TO SHUT THE YOUTHS UP......HAHAH....NICE TRY**************

*******AN ONLINE REVOLUTION HAS STARTED,NIGERIAN YOUTHS ARE AWARE AND READY FOR THOSE OF YOU STEALING OUR COMMONWEALTH SINCE THE 70''s OUR PARENTS AND GRANDPARENTS DID NOT FIGHT BACK....THATS WHY WE ARE HERE TODAY...NIGERIAN YOUTHS WILL FIGHT BACK THIS MESSY SITUATION HAS TO STOP************

********FOR A 26 TO DRIVE HIS FATHERS CAR IS NOW A VILIFIED ACTIVITY WHEN WE HAVE A PRESIDENT WITH MORE PRIVATE JETS THAN THE USA PRESIDENT,AND USES 1 BILLION NAIRA AS FOOD BUDGET IN A COUNTRY WHERE MAJORITY ARE IN ABJECT POVERTY***********

********OR A FINANCE MINISTER WHO AIDS AND ABETS DISAPPEARANCE OF 20 BILLION US DOLLARS***********

********AND YOU TURN AROUND AND BLAME THE YOUTHS.....YOU ARE DELUSIONAL!!!************

********HOW DID NIGERIA GET HERE ??***************

********THE CORRUPT LEADERS MORTGAGED THE YOUTHS FUTURE BORROWED ALL THIS MONEY AT A HIGHER EXCHANGE RATE NOW NAIRA HAS FALLEN WE PROBABLY OWE TWICE THAT AMOUNT IF YOU FACTOR IN THE NEW EXCHANGE RATE AND INTEREST ACCRUED***********

********ESSENTIALLY THESE PEOPLE HAVE SOLD NIGERIA BACK TO SLAVERY,COS WHATEVER MONEY NIGERIA MAKES NIGERIA WILL HAVE TO HAND IT OVER********

********FUEL SCARCITY,JOB SCARCITY,SECURITY SCARCITY,EDUCATION SCARCITY,HEALTH SCARCITY**********

********LETS FACE IT OUR LEADERS HAVE FAILED US*********

********THERE ARE COUNTRIES THAT DONT HAVE,THEIR ARE COUNTRIES THAT HAVE AND HAVE BEEN LOOTED *******

*******WE NEED TO STAND UP AND MOBILIZE...PDP OR APC NIGERIANS DONT GIVE A DAMN ANYMORE*******

********JONATHAN,OKONJI AND DIEZANI HAVE WRECKED THIS COUNTRY FURTHER************

********WHEN WE MADE BILLIONS IN OIL SALES WE DID NOT SAVE FOR HARD TIMES.....THESE PEOPLE STOLE NIGERIA BLIND AND INVESTED OUTSIDE THE COUNTRY,NOW THAT RAINY DAYS ARE HERE,THEY CAN GO BACK TO THEIR INVESTMENTS BUT THE COMMON MAN LIKE ME AND YOU WILL SUFFER THE HARDSHIPS******

*******ENOUGH IS ENOUGH***********

SEE THE PICTURE OF THE MEN THAT RUINED NIGERIA BELOW.
AS LEADERS YOU GUYS SHOULD TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR A FAILED STATE,EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!!!!!!
YOU GUYS HAVE FAILED US AS A COUNTRY,BY CONTINUING TO ALLOW CORRUPTION,INSECURITY FESTER UNABATED.

EVERYDAY PEOPLE DIE OF UNDESERVED HARDSHIPS WHILE YOUR BILLIONS IN SWISS ACCOUNTS ARE ACCRUING INTERESTS....YOU HAVE BUILT HUMONGOUS MANSIONS WITH MONEY YOU STOLE FROM PEOPLE YOU WERE ENTRUSTED TO SERVE.

YOU ARE RUNNING THE WHOLE NATION LIKE A CIRCUS ACT......YOU MIGHT FOOL A LOT OF PEOPLE BUT NOT ALL.

ON BEHALF OF ALL NIGERIANS YOUTHS SHAME ON ALL OF YOU.
WE REGRET HAVING HAD YOU AS LEADERS EVER.
ALL OF YOU.
MAY KARMA SERVE YOU SIMILAR PORTIONS YOU SERVED NIGERIANS.

ONLY MEN WITH LOVE FOR THEIR NATION SHOULD BE ENTRUSTED WITH GUARDIANSHIP,NOT PEOPLE LIKE YOURSELVES.....

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by intergral(m): 10:12am On May 26, 2015
Ok
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by cbrass(m): 10:12am On May 26, 2015
How many rich parents do we even have in Nigeria, pls direct this post to the rich ones pls

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Lachimex(m): 10:12am On May 26, 2015
Undiluted truth
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by deife(m): 10:13am On May 26, 2015
Epic!
Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Nobody: 10:13am On May 26, 2015
icebeatz:
Another article from someone that thinks they know shittttt about Nigeria.
How can you say Nigerian youths are not willing to work?? REALLY??

maybe this article is targeted to the children of the rich. Just like everything else in Nigeria!
Abeg ask that Eediot, were the work dey for the first place,

All nigeria dey very hard working, just that the economic is too harsh, see graduate no work,

He want make we carry guns dey rob, nonsense

4 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by Pavore9: 10:14am On May 26, 2015
l have read this somewhere before. lt is for children of the rich as the children from poor homes are already on the streets hustling.

2 Likes

Re: Letter To Nigerian Parents. by borngenius(m): 10:14am On May 26, 2015
Good message to this generation's 'RICH PARENTS'.
Only objective parents will teach their children what it means to make a living for themselves. When that's in place, no child will be wasteful.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Domesticating Nigerian Men / My Brother Raped My 11 Years Old House Help / Breasts, Hips And Butts Enlargement

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.