Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,286 members, 7,818,967 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary - Poems For Review - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Poems For Review / The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary (6789 Views)

Poem And Rhyme Lovers Over Here / Welcome O Ramadhan! - A Poem And A Breif Commentary By Laykorn / The Inner Mind - A Short Poem And A Brief Commentary. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Nobody: 3:17pm On May 27, 2015
The mist does move and shift and flow,
But what it holds, no one shall know.
It covers all the cold hard ground
And from the inside there is no sound

I stop to take a breath and carry on,
But before I know it, the world has gone
I am lost within a world that’s dark and grey,
Miles away from the light of day.

Into the mist I start to head;
The world around seems cold and dead.
Inside the mist, some things do lie;
They travel far; they come here to die.

From deep in the mist, shadows loom
Half seen, blur, within the murky gloom.
And ahead, an entrance does appear;
A blackened cave that instills fear.

Tunnels lead under the ground.
From these paths there are no sounds.
Cold and bare, dry and stark,
The tunnels lead into the dark.

The way is long and cold and hard;
Turning to leave, my way is barred.
Things of night do block the way,
Cos now I'm here, I'm here to stay.

Things of shadow and things of mist,
Things that shimmer and dance and twist.
Things that hunt in the dark of night,
And hide away from harsh daylight.

They live a life that’s cold and bleak,
Trapped in death, so they can't speak.
They watch the world with hungry eyes,
And hide from this light which they despise.

I turn away and try to leave,
But suddenly its hard to breathe.
I'm trapped in tunnels cramped and small,
Trapped and lost in cold dark halls.

Shadows move and gather round,
Wanting to take what they have found.
They seek to take the gift of life;
To end their world of pain and strife.

I try to shout, I try to scream,
It feels so strange, just like a dream.
Upon my back, a creature leaps,
Wanting my soul, a souvenir to keep.

Breaking free, I try to run away,
To go seeking hope in the light of day
I try to run but hope is bleak;
They have a scent that they can seek

I stop my run and turn around,
Surprised at this courage I just found.
I hold my ground, prepare to fight,
Courage now burns bold and bright.

I then wake up and cry aloud;
No longer sure, no longer proud.
Inside my dream the creatures leave,
I've just been given a short reprieve.

Most of us never realise how many people we've sent to the mist, the dark. In this race of life, they only stopped to take a breath but we gave up on them. So they wandered into the mist since the world had gone. They don't come back, never, until they give their souls to these creatures. After then, they come back to haunt the world that betrayed them when they are no longer sure and no longer proud.

Copyright © 2015
Soburadedokun@yahoo.com

25 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by agarawu23(m): 3:23pm On May 27, 2015
cool
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by sheunsheun(m): 10:31pm On May 27, 2015
Cool
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by CR77(f): 10:32pm On May 27, 2015
cheesy
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by brownlord: 10:32pm On May 27, 2015
ok
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by baybeeboi: 10:32pm On May 27, 2015
Poems......I hate Poems.
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by lilwayneme(m): 10:34pm On May 27, 2015
cool piece
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Adekorya: 10:34pm On May 27, 2015
I hate Jonathan and I'm blaming myself for supporting him in 2011

I dislike Obasanjo for standing up for him back then

The guy never worth it

He's the one of the reason Nigeria is going bad...

I nid to slp now

Someone shld pls wake me up wen its May29...
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Edwardhead(m): 10:35pm On May 27, 2015
well done fellow
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Nobody: 10:38pm On May 27, 2015
Nice words op,thumbs up.
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by mmafhew(m): 10:38pm On May 27, 2015
cheesy grin
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by losprince(m): 10:41pm On May 27, 2015
Poetic justice
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by henyuni: 10:41pm On May 27, 2015
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Nobody: 10:42pm On May 27, 2015
Dear sleep,where art thou? Who has sound sleep for sale?

1 Like

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by wiseoneking: 10:48pm On May 27, 2015
baybeeboi:
Poems......I hate Poems.
You are mostly likely to be unhappy person to hate poetry. i am truely sorry for you but you must do something about it. There is un seen beauty in it. Read more

1 Like

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by r33d(m): 10:49pm On May 27, 2015
Flows well and has a good rhythm... cool
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Xbee007(m): 10:49pm On May 27, 2015
Nice poem, keep it up.

Meanwhile can't wait to see May 29.!!!
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by wyattlily77: 10:55pm On May 27, 2015
as Helen said I am amazed that a student can get paid $6290 in four weeks on the computer . check out this site
This is where to start…… ­ w­­w­­w.T­i­m­e­s-R­­e­p­o­r­­t.c­o­­m

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by baybeeboi: 10:55pm On May 27, 2015
wiseoneking:
[s]You are mostly likely to be unhappy person to hate poetry[/s]. i am truely sorry for you but you must do something about it. There is un seen beauty in it. Read more

wrong, very wrong, very very wrong.
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Alore: 10:55pm On May 27, 2015
It's a long time I commented on this forum and it's a long time I read a poem from the start to the end; but I read yours. It's a beautiful poem.
Somehow it's relieving that there are still young people in this generation whose mind still has the clarity to write a poem with flowing rhythm like this - then there is HOPE! Kudos OP!

2 Likes

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:01pm On May 27, 2015
Laykorn, you did it finally. Beautiful piece.
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Kelklein(m): 11:02pm On May 27, 2015
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by TheSonOfMark(m): 11:04pm On May 27, 2015
Beloxxy:
Dear sleep,where art thou? Who has sound sleep for sale?

I bet the dead would 'sell' to you at a discount.smiley

2 Likes

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Nobody: 11:15pm On May 27, 2015
Your piece is rhythmically well paced and well invested in rhymes. Your use of the couplet is commendable because it makes the piece musical without distorting your themes. The simplicity of your diction is endearing because it adds to its rhythmic beauty. This poem is a masterpiece for recitation /performance. The form of the poem, being a lyric, is well balanced with its private, metaphysical, existential, absurdist and overtly philosophical contents. It is a poem of contraries like those of William Blake. It is also a poem of assertion like those of Walt Whitman. The poem is stylistically similar to those of Edgar Alan Poe and Paul Lawrence Dunbar. I love your use of vivid imagery and your deployment of literary devices to realise the aesthetic aspects of your poem.
Far from being perfect, however, the poem is an archetypal one. It is a celebration of the fact that Nigerians are not totally lost in the world of creativity. Subsequently, I suggest that you should spend less verses probing around issues but addressing them with philosophical precision. The Poem is also overtly private and care should be taken to include the reader as part of the general effect. This can be done subtly. Take a look at Robert Frosts' Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening and The Road not Taken and adapt aesthetic cues from there.

I've finished speaking as a critic! As a poet now, I believe this work is marvelous! It's a precedent for what a lyric should be. My poems are stylised much like yours and that's why I'm fascinated with it. I love the way you address existence in the Poem. I've learnt a thing or two from you. Keep it up and one day, you shall be compulsorily studied in any poetic engagement. I'll also advise that you should avoid posting your "full" poem on NL because of plagiarism. It is better to post an "extract" or at worst, make sure it's published on another blog or website before pasting it here.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Ajerry: 11:17pm On May 27, 2015
The world has come and gone
the hit men has killed me with there guns
up hills we run
the dark has won
here i read your poems
in the dark
wickeds roams around.
only the sound of the dog that see" they "bark"
the world has come and gone
only the wicked rule
i like your poems man am also a poets too add me up on whatsapp with 08075776863 then we can get connect by the way my name is A-jerry

1 Like

Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by Ajerry: 11:21pm On May 27, 2015
Ajerry:
The world has come and gone
the hit men has killed me with their guns
up hills we run
the dark has won
here i read your poems
in the dark
wickeds roams around.
only the sound of the dog that see" they "bark"
the world has come and gone
only the wicked rule
i like your poems man am also a poets too add me up on whatsapp with 08075776863 then we can get connect by the way my name is A-jerry
Re: The World Has Gone - A Poem And A Brief Commentary by NSNA: 11:24pm On May 27, 2015

(1) (2) (Reply)

Miss Me But Let Me Go........ / Nigerian Pride / Letter From An Aborted Child

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.