Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,374 members, 7,819,358 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:51 PM

Watford Vs Chelsea F.a Cup Preview - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Watford Vs Chelsea F.a Cup Preview (825 Views)

Watford Vs Manchester United (1 - 2) On 21st November 2015 / Watford Vs Arsenal (0 - 3) On 17th October 2015 / Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Watford Vs Chelsea F.a Cup Preview by dyabman(m): 11:25am On Feb 14, 2009
[b]Watford v Chelsea
Published: 13/02/2009

Watford midfielder Jack Cork will miss out on the glamour FA Cup clash with Premier League side Chelsea at Vicarage Road.

Cork is on loan at the Hornets from Chelsea and is ineligible to face his parent club so Lee Williamson should return in his place.

However, new signing Don Cowie is pushing for a starting role after he signed on transfer deadline day from Inverness Caledonian Thistle.

Fellow new signing Aleksandrs Cauna is a week away from match fitness and will not be considered as Brendan Rodgers meets the side where he was reserve team boss until replacing Adrian Boothroyd last November.

The Hornets did not play last weekend due to the snow which fell on Vicarage Road so Rodgers has a fully-fit squad available bar the long-term injuries to goalkeeper Mart Poom - who has a shoulder problem - and Gareth Williams (knee).

Frank Lampard Snr believes it could be a good time to play Chelsea as he prepares to come face to face with his son in the FA Cup fifth round.

Lampard, 60, was appointed football consultant at Coca-Cola Championship strugglers Watford last November and, for once, will be hoping Blues midfielder Frank Jnr has an off day when the Barclays Premier League giants come to Vicarage Road.

The Stamford Bridge club have turned to Guus Hiddink following the sacking of Luiz Felipe Scolari this week and Lampard believes the turmoil caused by such an overhaul may allow Brendan Rodgers' side to pull off a shock.

He said: "It's a huge game for this football club.

"We are still in a relegation battle in the Championship so coming up against Chelsea means we can't really lose. I certainly can't, personally anyway, given my links with Chelsea.

"Brendan and I had a feeling it was going to be Chelsea funnily enough and that's how it worked out. It's turned into a massive game for them as well now and it might be a good time to play Chelsea."

With former Chelsea reserve team boss Rodgers at the helm, the Hornets are not short of inside information on their illustrious opponents, and Lampard has promised his new side will not be giving his son an easy ride - despite the England man's request.

Lampard said: "When the draw was made, Frank rang me within four or five minutes and we had a chat about it and he's quite happy about it.

"When he rang me, he said, `Dad, make sure their midfield don't run with me, let me have a free run.'

"I can't repeat what I said to him as it won't go down too well but that is not going to happen.

"They're still a fantastic team. They might not be playing as well as they can but on their day they can take most teams apart anywhere in the world."

Chelsea are without suspended captain John Terry.

Centre-half Ricardo Carvalho (hamstring) is still out, while Michael Essien, although back in training, is not expected to return until the end of March.

England midfielder Joe Cole is out for the season with knee ligament damage but goalkeeper Petr Cech should have recovered from the back injury which kept him out of the goalless draw with Hull last weekend.

Ray Wilkins has denied `player power' was responsible for getting Scolari sacked and insists there are no rifts within the Chelsea dressing room.

Scolari was axed by owner Roman Abramovich as Chelsea slumped to fourth place in the Premier League having dropped 16 home points this season.

Last Saturday's goalless home draw against Hull was the last straw and the club moved swiftly to appoint Dutch coach Guus Hiddink until the end of the season.

Hiddink will combine the roles of Russia national boss and Chelsea coach but Wilkins will remain in charge of the team at Watford.

But speculation Scolari was helped on his way by divisions within the Chelsea first-team squad were denied by Wilkins, even though captain John Terry had hinted not all the players were behind the Brazilian coach.

"Totally untrue," declared Wilkins. "There's no player power here. We have to nail that. There's no player power at this club.

"The results haven't been what Roman wanted and that's why there's been a change of manager. Whenever any coach coaches a club as big as Chelsea, the players who don't play will be disgruntled, that's a fact.

"There are no splits whatsoever and we hope to show against Watford that's the case.

"You can only pick 11 players. It was very difficult for him because then you get a situation where people say the training methods are wrong.

"But every coach will have their different training methods and some players like them and some don't. But we don't have a split, none whatsoever."[/b]
Re: Watford Vs Chelsea F.a Cup Preview by switch47(m): 5:42pm On Feb 14, 2009
[b]CHELSEA = LOOOOOOOOOO-SEEEEEEE-ERSSSSS!!![/b]WATFORD KNOWS THEY CAN BEAT CHELSEA.
Re: Watford Vs Chelsea F.a Cup Preview by FBS: 6:18pm On Feb 14, 2009
Line up:

Watford
: Loach, Hoyte, Mariappa, DeMerit, Doyley, Smith, Jenkins, Lee Williamson, McAnuff, Rasiak, Hoskins.
Subs: Lee, Sadler, Cowie, Priskin, Harley, O'Toole, Parkes.
Chelsea: Cech, Mancienne, Alex, Ivanovic, Ashley Cole, Lampard, Ballack, Mikel, Kalou, Anelka, Drogba.
Subs: Hilario, Di Santo, Quaresma, Ferreira, Deco, Belletti, Stoch.
Re: Watford Vs Chelsea F.a Cup Preview by switch47(m): 6:43pm On Feb 14, 2009
CHELSEA = LOOOOOOOOOO-SEEEEEEE-ERSSSSS!!!WATFORD KNOWS THEY CAN BEAT CHELSEA.

(1) (Reply)

Gattuso, Nesta, Inzaghi To Retire / English Clubs' Domination In Europe Gone? / Ajax Targets Kanu, As Agbonlahor Trains Under Michael Johnson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.