Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,157 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:18 AM

Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time (4500 Views)

Poll: Who is winning the Super Cup 2nite?

Barcelona: 75% (6 votes)
Shakhtar Donetsk: 25% (2 votes)
This poll has ended

Real Madrid Vs Shakhtar Donetsk: UCL (4 - 0) On 15th September 2015 / Barcelona Vs Sevilla: UEFA Super Cup (5 - 4) On 11th August 2015 / Bayern Munich Vs Chelsea - UEFA Super Cup 2 - 2 ( 5 - 4) Pens on 30th-08-2013 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by khanye(m): 10:19am On Aug 28, 2009
Monaco is a favoured location for UEFA events. They hold their draws there, give out prizes there. And, once a year, the most modest of their club competitions comes here, too: the European Super Cup.

The Stade Louis II plays host to a match that, like Monaco itself, is more about style than substance. It is a branding exercise: a glitzy match in front of the jet set, or at least some of them.

But make no mistake: for the clubs involved it is not simply a formality. Granted, it pales in comparison to the domestic club campaign, but to start the season off right with silverware is everyone's goal.

Blue, Red, And Silver All Over

Barcelona already have a cup this season, of course. Adding to their unprecedented treble of 2008-09 is the Spanish Super Cup, hoisted aloft at Camp Nou last week as Athletic Bilbao were brushed aside.

Barca have changed little as a squad since their Champions League win in Rome back in the spring, but what few alterations there have been are considerable. It's a case of quality over quantity: Zlatan Ibrahimovic has come in up front to replace Samuel Eto'o in a move that not all are convinced by - can the Swede turn it on at European level? - while Maxwell arrives at left-back to compete with Eric Abidal.

A few other signings - not least Dmytry Chygrinsky, ex-Shakhtar - and no real departures other than that of Eto'o lend credence to the idea that Pep Guardiola's side are going for all awards yet again.

Orange Crush

Shakhtar, UEFA Cup winners last season, have a few more distractions than even Barca.

Mircea Lucescu's outfit were eliminated from the Champions League by Timisoara, but are flying high in the new Ukrainian season and sailed past Sivasspor in the Europa League to boot.

That gives them a real chance of defending their continental trophy, but a club of Shakhtar's size needs CL football.

With that in mind, an unbeaten, high-scoring start to the domestic season is exactly what the fans expect, but with both a cup match against Dynamo Kyiv and the Barca clash coming up soon, not least tough ties against Metalist and Dnipro in the league, it's far from simple for the Miners.

FORM GUIDE

Barcelona

August 23 v Athletic Bilbao (H) - WON 3-0 (SUPER CUP)

August 19 v Manchester City (H) - LOST 1-0 (FRIENDLY)

August 16 v Athletic Bilbao (A) - WON 2-1 (SUPER CUP)

August 8 v Chivas Guadalajara (A) - DREW 1-1 (FRIENDLY)

August 6 v Seattle Sounders (A) - WON 4-0 (FRIENDLY)

Shakhtar Donetsk

August 25 v Sivasspor (H) - WON 2-0 (EL)

August 20 v Sivasspor (A) - WON 3-0 (EL)

August 15 v Dniester Ovidiopol (A) - WON 6-1 (LEAGUE)

August 9 v Metalurg Donetsk (H) - WON 4-1 (LEAGUE)

August 5 v Timisoara (A) - DREW 0-0 (CL)

TEAM NEWS

Barcelona

Coach Pep Guardiola has taken the entire senior squad, along with four youth players, to Monaco. There is as yet little indication as to his starting line-up, but expect a strong eleven, with younsters such as Jeffren likely to come off the bench. The man himself said to the CP, "Of course we will field a strong team. Victory is never guaranteed."

Possible Starting XI: Valdes; Dani Alves, Puyol, Pique, Maxwell; Xavi, Yaya Toure, Iniesta; Messi, Ibrahimovic, Henry.

Shakhtar Donetsk

Surprisingly, Dmytro Chygrinsky will take part at centre-back for the boys in orange before joining up with the Blaugrana. Coach Mircea Lucescu confirmed as much in a press conference - also stating that he expects other Miners to make the step up to bigger clubs. Lucescu has brought a full squad of 28 to Monaco.

Possible Starting XI: Pyatov; Srna, Kucher, Chygrinsky, Shevchuk; Duljaj, Lewandowski; Ilsinho, Jadson, Willian; Luiz Adriano.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

Barcelona - Zlatan Ibrahimovic: The big-money buy himself has much to prove at a European level to his doubters, and there is no time like the present. The onus is on 'Ibra' to find his predatory instinct early and often.

Shakhtar Donetsk - Darijo Srna: The club captain and Croatian ace is one of the players coach Lucescu expects to move on one day. Barcelona have seen the versatile right-back as a potential target in the past - could he haunt them on Friday?

PREDICTION

Barcelona are distracted by a high-profile league opener on Monday, but they are in a competitive winning habit after the Recopa and should have too much for a Shakhtar side with a great deal on their plate.

Barcelona 3-1 Shakhtar Donetsk

http://www.goal.com/en/news/755/europe/2009/08/28/1465470/uefa-super-cup-preview-barcelona-shakhtar-donetsk
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by ogazi007(m): 10:34am On Aug 28, 2009
NO shaking people we are winning.shakhtar brazilian collabo would fail to yield nothing today.
i want to see inesta(the golden boi) in action tonite.ibra has a goal in this match.
barca for 4 more trophies.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by Krayola2(m): 3:01pm On Aug 28, 2009
Iniesta might play some part of the second half.  Going to be a tough match but we will show them pepper!!!

I hope Maxwell starts again cause he was just brilliant in the last game. We now have 2 excellent attacking fullbacks. I think our line-up will be

-------------------VALDES-----------------------
A---------PUYOL------------PIQUE----------------M
---------------------------------------------------A
L---------------------YAYA------------------------X
V------------XAVI-----------------KEITA-----------W
----------------------------------------------------E
E---------------------------------------------------L
Z--Messiah--------Ibracadabra--------TH14---------L
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by BinghiNya(m): 3:02pm On Aug 28, 2009
penalties will settle this tie. messi may end up being injured. grin that will be the end of the season for barca
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by xtianh(m): 3:22pm On Aug 28, 2009
@poster
I hail u guy for ur analysis.
I strongly believe that the tie is gonna be an easy one for The team of the Season(Barcelona)
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by khanye(m): 3:25pm On Aug 28, 2009
Krayola2:

Iniesta might play some part of the second half.  Going to be a tough match but we will show them pepper!!!

I hope Maxwell starts again cause he was just brilliant in the last game. We now have 2 excellent attacking fullbacks. I think our line-up will be

-------------------VALDES-----------------------
A---------PUYOL------------PIQUE----------------M
---------------------------------------------------A
L---------------------YAYA------------------------X
V------------XAVI-----------------KEITA-----------W
----------------------------------------------------E
E---------------------------------------------------L
Z--Messiah--------Ibracadabra--------TH14---------L

lol. . . . . .Na so
F* Haterz
Forza barca
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by MakuT1: 3:30pm On Aug 28, 2009
Messi: when a player is good, you have to admit and don't wish d player bad. it's not good
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by jalether(m): 3:34pm On Aug 28, 2009
i prtedict a 2-1 victory in favour of barca
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by xtianh(m): 3:36pm On Aug 28, 2009
@NIYA
if that is ur prayer it will nver work,
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by MakuT1: 3:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
Messi Uefa player of the year. it is not easy
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by BinghiNya(m): 3:38pm On Aug 28, 2009
So shakthar have come to monaco to see the pricipality. Better watch out for Julius Efosa Aghahowa. he has scored against barca before and will do it again.
The match will be settled on penalties.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by Krayola2(m): 4:44pm On Aug 28, 2009
Iniesta is unfit to play and will most likely not feature tonight. He was just given green light to start training a few day ago.

Preview: FC Barcelona – Shakhtar Donetsk

FC Barcelona face off against Shakhtar Donetsk tonight (7.45pm GMT) in a battle to secure the European Super Cup. The trophy is competed for by the winners of the two European competitions, the UEFA Champions League and the UEFA Cup. It will be the seventh time that the Catalan club will play in this final, and coach Pep Guardiola will have his team fired up to earn the club’s third Super Cup.

The final also gives FC Barcelona a chance to win its second competitive trophy in the space of only 6 days, having beaten Athletic Bilbao in the two-legged Supercopa de España on Sunday.

Barça reached this stage having beaten Manchester United 2-0 in May’s Champions League final, while Shakhtar beat Werder Bremen 2-1 in the last ever UEFA Cup final. However, although the Champions League is considered more prestigious, its winners are not entitled to the Super Cup, as was demonstrated the last time FC Barcelona, winners of the Champions League, faced UEFA Cup winners Sevilla in 2006. The Catalan side was the favourite to secure the trophy, but Sevilla had other ideas and put on an impressive display, winning the match 3-0.

One thing Guardiola has demonstrated as coach of FC Barcelona is that no fixture will be taken lightly, and thus he has travelled to Monaco with his full-strength squad. Tonight’s notable absences due to injury will be Rafa Márquez and Andrés Iniesta who, although having travelled with the team, are unfit to play.

Shakhtar entered the UEFA Cup competition last season having finished third in its Champions League group. It was the same group that FC Barcelona had been drawn into, and thus the two clubs played a home and away fixture in last season’s Champions League. The first game in the Ukraine was won by 1-2 Barça, while the return fixture saw Shakhtar beating FC Barcelona 2-3, although at this stage Barça had secured qualification into the Champions League knockout stages.

A key player of the Shakhtar team will be defender Dmytro Chygrynskiy, although FC Barcelona have been tracking the 22-year old this summer and look set to sign him in the days after the final, with Chygrynskiy stating that the match will be “a very special match for me. It will be my last game for Shakhtar. After the European Super Cup, I will leave for Barcelona”. The potential transfer makes for an interesting twist in tonight’s game.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by moonraker(m): 7:37pm On Aug 28, 2009
agahowa is on the bench no77 praise God
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by biina: 7:42pm On Aug 28, 2009
This should be an easy game for Barcelona, particularly given that they are essentially playing 12 v 10
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by Sauron1: 8:02pm On Aug 28, 2009
Bleep this man. . . . . .I can't see this game on HD.
ITV is shit. . . . .They should be scrapped.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by dayokanu(m): 8:07pm On Aug 28, 2009
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by Krayola2(m): 8:09pm On Aug 28, 2009
Our midfield is kinda sloppy. The balls coming out the back leave a lot to be desired too. . especially from Pique.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by dayokanu(m): 8:12pm On Aug 28, 2009
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by Krayola2(m): 8:14pm On Aug 28, 2009
Ibra needs to beputtin more pressure on these defenders. He still has a lot to learn
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by chic2pimp(m): 8:17pm On Aug 28, 2009
Krayola2:

Our midfield is kinda sloppy. The balls coming out the back leave a lot to be desired too. . especially from Pique.
Really? I think u lot are playing quite well to be honest. I am giving Ibra the benefit of doubt 2day.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by chic2pimp(m): 8:17pm On Aug 28, 2009
Krayola2:

Ibra needs to beputtin more pressure on these defenders. He still has a lot to learn
Ibra is not known for his workrate.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by dayokanu(m): 8:18pm On Aug 28, 2009
Ok lets see Ibrahimoflop on display. I miss Etoo
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by dayokanu(m): 8:19pm On Aug 28, 2009
See Puyols back pass header Na wa o
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by chic2pimp(m): 8:21pm On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

See Puyols back pass header Na wa o
grin grin grin. The catalans are really missing Iniwere.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by jalether(m): 8:21pm On Aug 28, 2009
its not as easy as i tot
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by chamotex(m): 8:23pm On Aug 28, 2009
This game is bloody boring mehn. I'm going to bed jor
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by Krayola2(m): 8:24pm On Aug 28, 2009
chic2pimp:

grin grin grin. The catalans are really missing Iniwere.

Yeah. . . Keita can't loose him marker like Iniesta can. . so we keep sending a lot of passes back to the defense or the keeper. We only have one outlet now and it is Xavi. I hope Pep puts Busquets on in the 2nd half.

I even prefer Keita playin DM and moving Yaya to CM cause yaya has better technique than Keita
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by chic2pimp(m): 8:27pm On Aug 28, 2009
chamotex:

This game is bloody boring mehn. I'm going to bed jor
oya off to bed now tongue. Wasteman grin.
Krayola2:

Yeah. . . Keita can't loose him marker like Iniesta can. . so we keep sending a lot of passes back to the defense or the keeper. We only have one outlet now and it is Xavi. I hope Pep puts Busquets on in the 2nd half.

I even prefer Keita playin DM and moving Yaya to CM cause yaya has better technique than Keita
spot on. I also prefer keita playing DM.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by Krayola2(m): 8:29pm On Aug 28, 2009
IBRA PRESSURE THE BALL U LAZY PIECE OF DOG SHIT!!! angry angry
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by dayokanu(m): 8:30pm On Aug 28, 2009
IBRA PRESSURE THE BALL U LAZY PIECE OF DOG SHIT!!!

LWKMD You never see anything grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by chic2pimp(m): 8:32pm On Aug 28, 2009
Krayola2:

IBRA PRESSURE THE BALL U LAZY PIECE OF DOG SHIT!!! angry angry
don't vex abeg ooo grin grin. I don't tell u thats not Ibra's game. This is the type of game were u need Iniesta. Shakthar are prepared to sit back and hit on the counter. Iniesta would cause them endless problems.
Re: Uefa Super Cup Preview: Barcelona vs. Shakhtar Donetsk - 7.45pm Nig. Time by chic2pimp(m): 8:33pm On Aug 28, 2009
dayokanu:

LWKMD You never see anything grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
grin grin grin grin grin.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Carling Cup: Manchester City Vs Arsenal [3 - 0] On Wed, 2nd Dec / Chelsea Vs Everton (3 - 1) On Saturday 15th October 2011 / Jose Mourinho Cannot Be The Best Coach In The World

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.