Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,720 members, 7,809,734 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:06 PM

Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! (1282 Views)

Massive Bank Job Loss Imminent In 2016 / A Nigerian Bank Killed Its Staff / Which Nigerian Bank Pays Best? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! by binahmad(m): 1:00pm On Feb 14, 2009
The facade of the life of an average nigerian banker is something that no one can unravel except one who is into it already; probably still in -like myself here. Alluring; shiny cars; fancy suits and expensive wares -ooch! not forgetting, flocks of girls to flirt around with. Boy! those days are gone.

At the moment all the banks you know are in a tight frenzy and literally running helter-skelter. This does not only affect the new generation banks alone, even the older generation banks are affected. It must be clear to all already that the industry is highly infested and competition very bad. Trust fellow Naijas on how to deal with critical situations.

I know a lot of bankers who are at the moment willing to give away half of whatever they are earning presently (only be glad to) for a much lower job with adequate security. Yeah! It has finally come into the open!! SECURITY. This, according to the famous, much celebrated work of Maslow, is a very important ingredient in any kind of job opportunity. At the moment, this very vital ingredient is confiscated and sacrificed away in a capitalistic way. In simple, you got to be highly placed or having people who are thus to remain safe in the industry. I wonder, for now what professionalism remains within the industry, 'cos I personally believe, if really there is any trace of professionalism existing, there'd have been a sort of check and clearances for the general industrial practices. Oh! don't get me wrong or try to bullshit me, beacause I currently hold a membership in one of them professional bodies and a student membership with two others. It's all a crock of bullshit; you got to know Naija and Nigerians to really understand this. We like to bark up the wrong alley. Professional symposia, workshops, seminars, talks, etc We all know where all that is heading.

There is absolutely no sanity!!!

My fellow brothers, I believe that for the time being we need to really look back into ourselves and redefine the concept of self-empowerment, but we must stop aspiring for the banking scenario.

I am really sorry if this article doesn't jell with some of us, but that is the bitter truth. More stuff shall follow.

Peace 2 y'all!!!

danamadu@hotmail.com
+23464-922370
Re: Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! by Pennywise(m): 1:21pm On Feb 14, 2009
This is a very familiar refrain from bankers but they hardly ever get to leave.Even those employed on contract with abysmally poor remunerations and working conditions hope some day their employment will be reviewed.

There is hardly any segment of our labour industry that is not going through stress.The beauty about working in a bank is that you have yourself a job and a career.Mobility in the industry is so high that sometimes I feel the employers are the ones disadvantaged.

Generally speaking, breathing tend to be easier the higher you go up the ladder in any profession. My advice to you and the like mind is that you should exercise patience and wait. Your time will come.
Re: Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! by binahmad(m): 1:29pm On Feb 14, 2009
@pennywise,
Nicely said.
I hope you know much about the industry
Re: Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! by Pennywise(m): 1:34pm On Feb 14, 2009
binahmad:

@pennywise,
Nicely said.
I hope you know much about the industry
I have to. How can I entrust them with my money if I dont?
Re: Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! by gbolahan85(m): 2:59pm On Feb 21, 2009
Hi Banah, your opinion is fairly incisive ,perhaps,you may have to simplify it for the uninitiated to understand better.

Regards.
Re: Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! by AjanleKoko: 8:44pm On Feb 21, 2009
binahmad:

I know a lot of bankers who are at the moment willing to give away half of whatever they are earning presently (only be glad to) for a much lower job with adequate security.

Bro, you'd be amazed at how many other Nigerians in various other sectors are longing for security. It's not limited to banking, I can tell you for free. Even government workers are being laid off in naija everyday.
Now that crude has crashed, we'll soon see what will happen in the celebrated oil and gas. NLNG Bonny Train 2, OKLNG, etc, are projects we read nowadays in the papers that are being cancelled.

binahmad:

I wonder, for now what professionalism remains within the industry, 'cos I personally believe, if really there is any trace of professionalism existing, there'd have been a sort of check and clearances for the general industrial practices. Oh! don't get me wrong or try to bullshit me, beacause I currently hold a membership in one of them professional bodies and a student membership with two others. It's all a crock of bullshit; you got to know Naija and Nigerians to really understand this. We like to bark up the wrong alley. Professional symposia, workshops, seminars, talks, etc We all know where all that is heading.

That is also a good one. However, I think the banking industry remains possibly the most regulated and professional sector in Nigeria, never mind the obvious crisis. Banking still from the outside appears to be the most attractive, because, for one thing; they employ more than others, public sector included. They also offer the promise of a lifelong career which offers great possibilities, not just core banking but the financial sector in general. The issues about the impending crash has only re-inforced my layman's views about banking. I bet you don't know that Zain, a telco, declared an operating loss in excess of US$200m last year. Due to this, the entire executive management has been let go, lots of senior management are being silently sacked everyday, and the board of the company has decided to reduce staff strength to about 40 percent of current levels. Right now this is causing general panic in that company.

I'd say, it's not a matter of the industry itself, but rather a function of the company where you work, your own personal career goals, and how well those two are being aligned in your current situation. I know lots of bankers who are doing excellently well.

Peace.
Re: Fw; Crazy About That Nigerian Bank Job: Take A Tip, Forget It! by spoilt(f): 12:34am On Mar 03, 2009
@ OP
you sound very insecure.

(1) (Reply)

Ajanlekoko, I Need Help! / Think Twice Before You Post Crazy Pics on Facebook, Employers Have Eyes & Ears / Teaching In Naija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.